Positive Reviews of Private Collection - L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale

Find out more about Private Collection - L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

While clearly composed in the oriental manner, L’Ombre Fauve departs from the heavier, gourmand, woody oriental style Pierre Guillaume has explored repeatedly in scents like Cozé, Dadjmere, and Aomassaï. Either because or in spite of this, I think it is one of his more successful oriental fragrances. L’Ombre Fauve is a sweet spiced amber that could easily have come from Serge Lutens, but wound up in the Parfumerie Générale line instead.

In its use of sweet, powdery amber and earthy, animalic patchouli, L’Ombre Fauve is particularly reminiscent of Ambre Sultan, though it does without the briny oregano accents. In its musky, animalic base notes it also shares affinities with Mazzolari’s Lui and Patchouly, though it is far less dense than either in its drydown. In fact, name not withstanding, of its spiced amber kin (among which I also include Anné Pliska, Ambre Précieux, Cinnabar, Coco, and Opium,) L’Ombre Fauve is among the most transparent. In my experience, only L’Artisan Parfumeur’s L’Eau d’Ambre and Montale’s Blue Amber approach it’s luminous buoyancy, and L’Ombre Fauve is more complex and nuanced in its spices, more alluring in its animalic content, than either.

L’Ombre Fauve is reasonably potent, but not overwhelming, as some of its peers can be. It also endures for several hours on the skin, radiating its warm, sweet animalic glow. While it doesn’t displace Ambre Sultan, Ambre Russse, or Ambre Précieux in my estimation, I do think L’Ombre Fauve is a worthy entry in a very crowded field. It certainly offers an appealing alternative for those who prefer their amber with a little less belly fat.

19 June, 2014

Cannes's avatar

A warm fur blanket

L'ombre fauve is warm, sensual, and erotic but not dirty. I fell in love after trying a sample from luckyscent. I dabbed a bit on my neck on a cold, winter day. When I readjusted myself at my desk at work, I got a wiff of this literal animal fur. I can cuddle up with this all day long. I find that it stays close to my skin in the summer.

23 September, 2013

Card Board's avatar

Germany Germany

I was surprised and enthralled by the sharp amber opening, which I briefly perceived as citric, although there is nothing in the stated notes accounting for the tanginess (perhaps it is patchouli). The sourness shortly eases back, although never entirely, revealing a softer, sensual powdery amber/musk, which leans towards animalic, but is not brash or in your face. In dry down, comparisons to Musc Ravageur are merited, although I find MR to be saltier and thus a little more suggestive. MR is also slightly more varied throughout, does not contain the wonderful and persistent slightly sharp and sour edge, and has a cooler ending, while L’Ombre Fauve plots a comparatively linear musk+amber course throughout dry down. On the whole, I find L'Ombre Fauve more reserved. Maybe you don't need both in your wardrobe, but they are different. I can't say which I prefer. I think I like them equally while appreciating their differences.

10th April, 2013

Buysblind's avatar

If you have the patience to wait for the dry-down, you're in for a treat. L'Ombre Fauve opens with a sour, powdery amber. And for the most part, that is all that is apparent at the start. Personally, I don't care for the opening. It's a mix of powdery amber and the smell of clothes that are wet and have sat out for too long, or wet socks. On my skin, this persists for at least an hour. Gradually, L'Ombre Fauve begins to change. While the powdery aspect remains, like a frosting on the top, the rest of the composition takes a turn to the sweet, animalic side. The sourness from the opening disappears. Somebody mentioned that at this stage it smells like their cat's fur, and I think that's a pretty good description. Part of L'Ombre Fauve takes on this almost salty, crusty quality, that smells like skin that was licked and has since dried. Combine this muskiness with a deep, rich, sweet amber base and you have a wonderful dry-down that is hard to pull your nose away from. It's cozy, warm, inviting, and *dare I say* "sexy." It's one of only a few fragrances I can honestly say becomes like a second skin-but-better in its latter stages. It feels natural and human (or animal). I believe the patchouli in this fragrance serves as a bridge between the amber and musk, ultimately holding everything together, and deftly executing a successful balancing act.

I think L'Ombre Fauve will be appreciated by those with some experience. Had I tried this a couple years ago when I was just beginning to get into fragrances, I would have been immediately turned off by the opening and not have fully appreciated the dry-down. So for anyone just looking to smell 'good' or for someone looking for their first Amber, I recommend looking elsewhere. However, if you're looking for a fragrance that rewards your patience, or a personal fragrance to be enjoyed on an intimate level, this is a great choice. Definitely worth sampling.

Projection is average. Longevity is excellent.

25 February, 2013

deadidol's avatar

I'm a huge fan of this one. I still can't figure out how PG managed to get it to do what it does as it has an almost physical effect on me. The animalic aspect is biting and makes me catch my breath. Aside from that, it's just a lovely amber that doesn't go down any overly spicy paths (like Ambre Sultan), but manages something totally new and unique from its blend. It's not for everyone, I'm sure, but I love it!

20th January, 2013

's avatar

I feel guilty loving this. It's so soft, so sweet, so...raunchy. I can't help but cozy up to the Bestial Shadow.

Goodnight.

03 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2012)

jtd's avatar

This perfume’s richness and sexiness comes from such a basic composition that its novelty is startling. How can it possibly have taken this long for somebody to put patchouli, amber and musk, components joined since the invention of perfumery, in just this combination? After wearing l’Ombre Fauve for five minutes I found myself in a perfume fugue state on the verge of Something Big. I came to the conclusion that this triad had a simple perfection to it. “Of course! It’s obvious.” Mind you I’m not a perfumer and hadn’t the least idea what I was blathering about, but it seemed important at the time. The l’Ombre Fauve trip reminded me of a friend who while on acid felt that he’d gone to the core of some deep truth, didn’t want to lose it and so wrote it down. He woke up the next morning with a note in his own handwriting saying: “Don’t forget to mow the lawn.” Wow, words to contemplate. Had I been that deep?

The patchouli, amber and musk, along with incense and spices, fit together so perfectly and with such a convincing logic that you can virtually hear the ‘click’ as they lock into place. Where some fundamental accords thrive more on the contrast of the elements than cooperation (the chypre, the fougère) this accord is of a piece and forms a honeyed, waxy, sweet-tart skin raunchiness that is so palpable you feel that you can grab a hold of it.

I know people may find l’Ombre Fauve objectionable or rank in the way that some find Muscs Koublai Khan unpleasant. I love both, and l’Ombre Fauve is one of the most sensuous perfumes I’ve smelled in ages. I can’t stop wearing it.

If this helps to steer you toward or away from l’Ombre Fauve, I love the smell of the jasmine and orange blossom that’s in the air now where I live. It’s intoxicating. But I love the smell of my dogs’ fur and my boyfriends skin as much if not more.

19 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

L'Ombre Fauve is a particular ambery fragrance that despite preserving  all the nuances and complexities of the precious raw material (i mean amber),  holds on its trip towards the end of the development being averagely dry, decidedly mossy and finally powdery (powdery woods) with a moderate level of sweetness, a featuring earthy note of aromatic-dry patchouli, a touch of incense, sharp spices and a plain musky note. The spices get a complex work in here in order to mantein balanced and steady the level of mellifluence and to imprint a dusty, exotic and a bit rough vibe throughout the evolution. The sweetness is basically made of amber and dry woodsy in here. The usage of incense is minimal in my opinion and it comes out in the first stage of the trip, dusty and a bit minty. May be some woodsy and resinous labdanum is blended in the mix and the animal vibe which many talk about and that i feel minimal (just present) is brought out by the combination of amber and leathery labdanum. The smell is basically amber and musk under my nose and the amber is not brewing or caramellous under attack of mellow fruits or waterfalls of balsams. The amber is simply a bit animal, powdery-incensey ,a bit dusty-earthy of patchouli and spices and finally mossy. I agree who with writes that it shares some similarities with the more animalic and dense Mazzolari Lui but just in the sense that both are amber-patchouli fragrances with a notable addition of woodsy musk-moss in the blend. Endly the two beasts are different and Lui is far more surupy, animal and resinous under my nose. An interesting woodsy fragrance from a great brand.

12 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 December, 2011)

digger51's avatar

This is a very well done amber based scent. The musk, vanilla, incense add depth and richness to it, but the amber is the predominant note. It is almost like a cross between Ambre Sultan and Andy Tauer LDDM. I like this and will have to decide between L'Ombre Fauve and Ambre Sultan. It will not be an easy choice as both are excellent.

17 June, 2011

Sniffmonkey's avatar

I acquired a free sample of this from Luckyscent a couple of years ago, and never paid much attention to it - Aomassai, Bois Blond and L'Oiseau de Nuit, also by Parfumerie Generale, captured all of my attention. But having seen jlouismi's description, I had to dig it out and try it.

And WOW! jlouismi is right, this DOES smell like a wild fox covered in baby powder!

I like it! ;-)

10th June, 2011

Castrensis's avatar

Like its name, Bestial Shadow, this is both animalic & indistinct. As mentioned previously this has a realistic fur-like texture & the beast has ventured close enough to cast its shadow upon the wearer. An animal pelt thrown over a censer, it glows with amber & suffuses with incense. Its patchouli & musk envelope & subdue but never in excess. L'Ombre Fauve is a primordial puissant presence treading the line between fear & arousal, abated breath & pupillary dilation the fruits of its effulgence.

17 February, 2011

MFJ's avatar

A soft, creamy animalic musk galore surrounded by dry woods and some patchouli. A slightly sweetened vanilla and some smoke adds an ambery and dusty dimension to this gentle beast, as it starts to settle on skin. My most fruitful blind-buy of the past 2 years.

18 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 19 March, 2010)

SoGent's avatar

I believe I have found my ultimate amber fragrance with this one. Prior to this Fiore d' Ambra held that title and will - of course - retain a place in the wardrobe.

However, Ombre Fauve is what I was looking for all along. Slightly dry with a drier and understated vanilla, a touch of woods and musk - this one does not scream, it whispers.
    And what better way to be heard.

The 'fur' note - as it has been called - lends its metallic, reinous incense tone to a slight progression. One that can be missed if we aren't paying attention.
    While writing this little ditty, I've decided that the wearer must 'step into' and WEAR this, not just spritz it here and there, lest IT wear the host and become lost in translation appearing inconsequential and mediocre.

This one - to me - is furry sensuality and THAT deserves a spot on the top shelf. This one should - at the very least - be given a try.

23 January, 2010

jenson's avatar

India India

One of the finest Amber+Spices+Animal fur+Musk based scent.....? Parfumerie Genarale's L'Ombre Fauve is deemed to be a ...... classic. a TOP notch scent which enthralls and excites right off the spritzer with its woody/gourmand quality and classic approach. After Ungaro II, i was on a prowl for animalic fur kinda scents....never to have hoped tht i wud find a match(not as intense but..) in L'Ombre Fauve. It's a musk laden, amber based scent with a deft hand of spices and patchouli and oomphs of animalic fur notes giving the scent a feel like...., like a spicy sandalwood based scent sprayed on a cub and left for a day....the notes just breathe exuding a sillage very unique... this scent creates a aura only capable by the likes we respect.....i can only imagine the chaos this scent cud generate if it gets discontinued...

13 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 August, 2009)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Personally, I am not enamored with the combination of incense and amber. Amber is a fave of mine, in many forms, but my nose sometimes experiences difficulty with incense. There is a dry/somewhat smokey aspect to L'Ombre Fauve which seems in conflict (rather than compliment) to the sweet, rich amber accord. Fortunately the incense used here quickly dissipates, this phase of development passes and in the end I'm enjoying this Bestial Shadow. Thumbs up, because this frag is interesting & creative - and ultimately wearable too!

14 July, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve

There are times I want to be a fly on the wall when perfumers are coming up with the name for their creations. Many of them give you insight into the scent you are about to put on. Then there are scents like L'Ombre Fauve. L'Ombre Fauve translates to Bestial Shadow. I don't know what kind of picture that calls up in your mind's eye but with that name I'm thinking an animalic, deep, dark scent. BZZZZT! Wrong! Thanks for playing, maybe next time. The note list is deceptively simple; amber, musk, woods, incense, and patchouli. The result of this is not so simple. The top leads off with a very light amber and incense and is beautifully subtle. The amber is sweet to complement the sweeteness of the incense. The amber changes character almost completely in the heart as it becomes a less sweet, more dry and ethereal amber; as the sandalwood holds court. Finally the amber once again turns into a deeper note, which contains the edgier quality that some people describe as medicinal that amber sometimes gets,which complements the patchouli present in the base. The note list says musk but I'm having a hard time picking it up. With a scent named L'Ombre Fauve I'd expect the musk to be way more prominent instead of having to send a search party out to find it on my skin. This scent feels opulent on me and lush. If I was going to name this I would call it "Study in Amber" because on me it presents three distinct faces of amber through the progression and I want to linger over each one.

28 February, 2009

Asha's avatar

Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve

Notes: amber, musk, woods, incense, patchouli (from luckyscent.com)

On first spray, L'Ombre Fauve smells like a sweet but dilute vanilla-based amber, and has a metallic note that I often smell when incense is used in a fragrance. I must say, this stage is not very pleasant, as with all the other fragrances that have this issue on my skin. To my nose, it smells slightly ozonic or fresh, with only the tiniest hint of smoke. As L'OF dries, the ozone thankfully fades fast. The smokiness increases, and the sweet vanilla, resin and woody base notes come out more fully. When the ozone note has completely burned off, I smell sweet and smoky vanilla, aromatic woods, vetiver, labdanum, patchouli, powder and resins. It sounds like a traditional recipe, but L'OF seems clean and modern. The resins are not sweaty or heavy, the patchouli is peppery rather than dirt-like. Even the smoke smells like it has been scrubbed. And yet, I don't sense that this is a particularly sanitized scent.

As with many of the PG fragrances, I don't find L'OF terribly complex or challenging. I find I am unable to describe a technicolor note development, because most of the PG scents I have tried vary little over a long wearing. However, I always find that PG fragrances have a fullness that is very satisfying, and they often give a nod to traditional fragrance forms while having some kind of artistic twist to make them new and unusual. L'Ombre Fauve fits this house style perfectly. It is a beautiful vanilla-prominent amber with enough smoky, earthy spice to keep the vanilla exotic and inedible. The longer it stays on the skin, the more the fragrance warms and opens, and into the next day I can smell the luscious vanilla lingering.

25 January, 2009

sketchwars's avatar

Sweden Sweden

This drives me crazy. It's over the top sexy! One of the best ambers I've ever tried. 20 thumbs up!

22 January, 2009

Buzzlepuff's avatar

A very pleasing mix of amber sandalwood and patchouli. A warm smoothe amber with a touch of spice woods that ends with a minty patchouli. A strange ghost note occurs with the combination of amber and patchouli that has a slight sharp wild smell to it - smells like cat fur or a light urine scent. A smoothe cuddly animal of a scent. Very enjoyable warm patchouli.

23 December, 2008

Sugandaraja's avatar

L'Ombre Fauve is a lush but light amber fragrance; a pleasing mixture of amber, sandalwood, vanilla, patchouli and musk.

While I appreciate the demure charm of the juice, I cannot say anything particularly grabs my attention or sets L'Ombre Fauve apart. Especially when compared to the more unique offerings from this house, I find this comparatively underwhelming.

For dry amber with sandalwood I'd recommend L'Air Du Desert Marocain; for a richer, sweeter amber Ambre Sultan. L'Ombre Fauve trails behind both in sillage and longevity.

Still, this is not a negative review. L'Ombre Fauve is a small fragrance with gentle charms, and does well within those parameters.

03 November, 2008

purplebird7's avatar

This is one of my favorites of the Parfumrie Generale line along with L'Oiseau de Nuit (Night Bird), a sweet, deep, rich, somewhat leathery labdanum paired with a fruity davana flower. L'Ombre Fauvre consists of amber, wood, musk, vanilla, and a little bit of patchouli. Like one other reviewer said, "What's not to love?" And that wraps it up for my sentiments. Wrap yourself in it and feel the glow.

24 October, 2008

Nathan214's avatar

Amber, musk, woods, incense and patchouli . . . what's not to like? A warm, comforting scent that's exotic, spicy and semi-sweet. It's also quite potent, so a little goes a long way. If you're a fan of rich, deep fragrances, then you should give L'Ombre Fauve a try.

23 October, 2008

Amit's avatar

India India

The opening of L'Ombre Fauve on the skin is very rich, one can immediately identify the dry woods with a mixture of subtle spices gently sprinkled all over it, giving it a familiar "woody-spicy" accord you get to smell in dozens of Perfumes nowadays. However, that is where the similarity ends and L'Ombre Fauve leaves the runway, taking off, off to reach dazzling heights like a sleek aircraft. The Amber warms up to the touch of the skin within minutes of application, rising up alongwith the body heat radiating around you. For the shortest moment, sniffing it during it's mid-stage I got something like Milk! eek.. I thought... WTF.. that aroma quickly gave away to something smelling like slightly Burnt Rubber at first, then Unburnt Rubber... hmm, interesting.

Fortunately the milk/rubber reference soon leaves the heady mix letting the Amber now take centerstage. This Amber alongwith the mingled resinous Incense and full bodied Musk gives off one of the dreamiest sillage my nose has ever recorded. Wow..slightly sweet and truly Sumptuous in its "feel" .. one can tell the quality of the ingredients used in creating this blend. Absolutely dazzling.

The fragrance progresses on into its drydown with the Patchouli now binding the trio of Amber, Powdery Musk and Incense together with only a hint of woodiness. Matter of factly I was able to detect the Patchouli quite early on in the development, is it the Patchouli interacting with some other ingredient in the blend to create an olfactory illusion of Milk/Rubber? I don't know for sure. The drydown is as Impressive as the earlier development stages of the fragrance is.. mesmerizing and reminds one of all things Glorious. It almost alters one's perspective, elevating the wearer's state of mind and I'm saying this from the experience of having worn the fragrance and experienced the heavenly drydown myself.

17 October, 2008