Reviews of 1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

Find out more about 1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

steve0580's avatar
    steve0580

It's a rich smelling citrus and powder blend that dries down to what smells like an expensive talcum powder.

24 February, 2014

foetidus

Excellent opening of subdued citrus and delicate licorice. It is delicate but its delicacy doesn’t come from weak presention or lack of masculinity: there is beautifully refined subtlety within a firm olfactory presence. It is a remarkable achievement. The lavender all too soon takes over and presents a similar level of subtlety as the opening but with a heart of lavender and anise replacing the citrus dominance of the opening… not quite as remarkable – I’m not a huge fan of lavender but this one is just fine with me.

The lavender/anise lasts for a respectable period before moving into the base, which is an accomplished sandalwood / vanilla-almond, cedar and almond. The base is even better than the top two levels… it retains the same delicate intensity but with a fuller accord of wood and sweet. Two woods – sandalwood and cedar – and two sweets – vanilla and amber. The base accord comes across to me with the sandalwood / almond-scented-vanilla dominating…I can barely smell the cedar and I get absolutely no amber.

Before I tested 1725, in looking at the pyramid list I assumed that it would be a gourmet scent. It isn’t a gourmet… it’s an uncommonly subtle, quietly solid, beautifully proportioned fougere – about the most refined and sophisticated one I have encountered. Awesome.

31st January, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

This strongly reminds me another perfume which sadly I can not remember. I fear it was not even a perfume, but rather a bath/shower gel I must have used at some point in my life. However, I mainly smell a lot of lavender, vanilla and almond here, so it is definitely sweet and spicy. It goes better on the drydown - at first it is *too much* sweet to me. Globally I find this safe and easy to forget.

24 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2014)

sophulla's avatar
    sophulla
    Germany Germany

Smart scent of subtle sweetness.

The previous review says it's not a macho scent - that's absolutely right in the sense that 18th century masculinity has some feminine attributes (frills, powder etc.) - and why not admit it?
    (It certainly smells good on both men and women.)
    Most of all, I get the citrus-vanilla-anise-almond combination, but (luckily) I would not call it a gourmand - it's far too elegant for that (maybe the lavender did this?).
    Historical inspiration realised in a modern way? I don't think so - this is not a "modern" fragrance, and I guess that's why I like it.
    You can amplify longevity if you spray it on fabric.

So good.

27 November, 2013

sjohnjay's avatar
    sjohnjay

Invasion Barbare's drier twin

If Invasion Barbare gets a 10/10 score, then I would give this 9/10.

Very similar (in vibe and actual scent) to IB, but drier.

It also differs, in that it seems a tad more powdery, "diffuse," and lacks the perfectly 'pointed head' that makes IB a total masterpiece.

Recommended for those who do OR don't own IB.

Pros: A perfect classic masculine barbershop EDP
    Cons: none

08 June, 2013

Marais's avatar
    Marais

A beautiful barbershop-type fougere, but with all hard edges smoothed over. Delicate and refined, in contrast to the more macho exponents of the genre. This effect is primarily achieved through skillful use of vanilla, which adds a certain youthful eyelid-fluttering seductiveness without descending into juvenilia. Longevity is good with a generous application. One of my favourites from HdP, alongside 1828. If you aren't hairy-chested enough for Rive Gauche, or find Caron Pour Un Homme too sweet, do try this.

17 July, 2012

Notreveh's avatar
    Notreveh
    Brazil Brazil

Right after the first spray I do get a blast of citruses which stays just for a blink of an eyes disappearing very fast to leave space to a very evident anise and an explosion of lavender. It makes me think about Boucheron Pour Homme but in a very modern and easy to please way that get's even better trough time given the appearance of a semi-sweet tone!

Anyway, a very good fragrance that can be purchase by a very reasonable price.

02 June, 2012

leto's avatar
    leto
    Turkey Turkey

Almost perfect fragrance. Reason I say almost is that it's a little bit weak on me, but boy, do I love the smell, fantastic.

25 May, 2012

lucasai's avatar
    lucasai
    Poland Poland

1725 is another fragrance created by Gerald Ghislain of Histoires de Parfum which is inspired by a historical character. 1725 was the year of birth of Casanova. He's mostly known for his memoirs of vivid life in Europe capitols in XVIII century and his famous love conquests. His name became a synonym of seduction.

1725 opens with a very elegant note of two citruses - grapefruit and lemon. As it comes to speaking about citrus notes in the opening, they're often very intensive, strong, prominent and sparkling. But grapefruit & lemon in Casanova break this stereotype. They're classy, distinguished and modern. It's more like smelling their aromatic rinds rather than experiencing the aroma of the whole fruit. These two citruses are...reserved - this should be a good word to describe. There's also something powdery wandering around. Later, an oh-my-gosh-so-gorgeous lavender note appears gracefully. It's so different from one other great lavender perfume - Caron Pour un Homme. While in Caron the lavender note is very fresh, here, in 1725 lavender note is very warm and cosy. To my nose it's like experiencing highest quality sun-dried lavender. It smells like a lavender potpourri I bought during my summer trip to Croatia 2 years ago. After this time it still holds it's precious aroma, reminding me of fun times I had there. When anise joins, 1725 becomes even better. It's slightly spicy, but only a little. Then licorice adds some sweetness to break that spiciness from anise. As the fragrance evolves, 1725 Casanova changes into the most fabulous amber and vanilla scent ever created (at least in my opinion). Duet of amber & vanilla is one of my favourite duets in modern perfumery and 1725 raises the bar really high. After more time amber diffuses and the creaton gets a gourmand moment - believe me - vanilla and almonds with a note of sandalwood in the background smell delicious. Like almond cookies taken out from the oven and cooling down. The note list also mentiones cedar, bergamot and other citruses. For me there's no cedar at all here, bergamot and those other citruses maybe appeared right in the opening but were dominated by grapefruit and lemon aromas.

1725 Casanova is a wonderful aromatic-fougere eau de parfum with many facets. Once it can be all about grapefruit, the other time it's lavender, amber & vanilla that get the lead. The aroma of this fragrance is rather unique and the taste is exquisite. When someone would smell it on you, there's a high chance they would like to come back for more, so they'll come closer and closer to you. This might be the type of scent that makes others quietly involved. The perfume draws their attention and then... their attention not only focuses on 1725 but on YOU. That's how the perfume seduction works, I guess. In this case Casanova is the perfect name for this eau de parfum.
    This one is my favourite from Histoires de Parfums I smelled.

09 May, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

It opens with a lemony grapefruit fresh spicyness with a touch of licorice. After that I can detect lavender with anise coming through with a light woodyness in the
    background. This scent is so very light and soft that it was hard to detect at first then it bloomed on my skin.

After a while I am picking up vanille underneath the spicy freshness. This fragrance reminds me of Invasion Barbare but with the violet removed and the notes toned
    down and refined.

I like this as it is really well crafted and the ingredients are top notch. And as time has moved on from my above intial impressions the soft fresh vanille aspect
    becomes more prounouced in the basenotes and surrounds you in a halo of lovelyness.

So to sum up I do love its spicy woody freshness in the opening and soft vanille sweetness in the basenotes. And I get six to seven hours in longevity.

18 February, 2012

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

Grapefruit & anise are usually found in "fresh" fragrances and not in orientals. Here, the path of grapefruit and anise is followed by exquisite trails of vanilla, almond and amber. Novel approach and execution. Kind of smells like Lolita au Masculin but with more complexity of the citrus notes. At times smells like somebody mixed black licorice with marzipan. Unique and certainly worthy of the high price.

11th September, 2011

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

A superb example of how fougeres can be "handled" to become extremely modern. 1725 opens with a consistent combo of liquorice and anice that may bring immediately to mind of Menardo's creations for YSL (body Kouros) or Bucheron (Jaipur). At this point you could make the mistake to easily dismiss this composition as another "trendy" gourmand, but be aware that 1725 is much more than that. Lavender and citrus start to interact with the main ingredients creating a fantastic and original fougere enriched in the drydown by vanilla, amber and woody notes. The "extra touch" IMO comes from Almond that perfectly blends with all of the previously mentioned elements adding some refinement and uniqueness.

While I absolutely admire Menardo's compositions I also strongly believe that 1725 takes the genre (and in this case also modern french perfumery in general) a step forward. Every note is at the same time perfectly detectable and incredibly blended with all the others as if were part of an high resolution picture of an immense landscape. Next to 1740 and 1969, one of my favourite fragrance in the Histoires De Parfums Library of Scents.

08 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 August, 2011)

Shifty Bat's avatar
    Shifty Bat

I have written too many reviews that compare one fragrance to a blend of others, but this just can't be ignored-
    1725 smells like a direct cross between Apparition Homme Intense and Hypnotic Poison. You have the tangy-sweet mandarin/anise aspect with some bergamot on top counterbalanced by the powdery-strange vanilla-almond which comes off smelling like makeup. This is a dandy scent; delicious, indulgent, and utterly unisex, or maybe 'of questionable sex.' It is a curiosity and a treat. It is excellent. I only wish the stuff was a little louder.

11th June, 2011

bokaba's avatar
    bokaba

I agree for the most part that 1725 is a more complex version of Caron pour un Homme. 1725 has the same gourmand lavender-vanilla accord but the opening boasts a little sweet anise and the heart and base are dominated with some type of sweet amber. Very good, but I'm not sure it's worth the price.

27 February, 2011

Primrose's avatar
    Primrose

When I sampled 1725 Casanova, I immediately thought this was the richer, more expensive version of Caron's Pour Un Homme. The vanilla and the lavender were very much in evidence. Is it an homage to the name of the fragrance: Casanova, the great seducer? This scent does not strike me as racy nor wildly seductive. It is subtle and refined. A true pleasure to wear with good sillage and longevity. As Casanova reputedly (reputedly, mind you) had affairs with women and a few men in the mix, 1725 is fragrance that both men and women can enjoy. No passionate love potion here, just a settled, enjoyable scent with elegance. We need to keep in mind that Casanova ended his days as a librarian. (Don't all die-hard rakes settle down in their older years?!)

14 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2011)

michailG's avatar
    michailG

1725. The instant I smelled this and put it on I really liked it. The initial freshness of hesperides blended in with the liquorice and a powdery woody warmth swept me away.
    A hint of anise aroused my nostrils and the milkyness of almond wrapped the whole composition. Is there lavender? Somewhere there, yes, but it’s so delicate that I just notice it, instead vanilla is more prominent, both notes though are well balanced. Warm woods, citrus and herbal freshness, and a powdery, milky dry down! Mind you there is something that I find slightly irritating in the dry down; I wonder could it be amber? 1725 is strangely familiar but still extraordinary.

25 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2010)

Foustie's avatar
    Foustie
    Scotland Scotland

Essentially a beautiful and interesting soft amber. Begins lemony woody, with lavender and liquorice quickily coming through, then after a time the dry down of vanilla and amber with cedar and floral notes. I am not a huge fan of vanilla but this is soft and integral to the drydown. It does not overwhelm. I don't find this fragrance too sweet as some others do. I agree wth Jenson that 1725 may seem almost linear but in fact it is far from that. It does develop quickly but with nuance and interest which continues throughout.

05/04/2011, Hmm, I am playing with my sample box of Histoire De parfum again and every time I smell 1725 I have the same thought. I wonder if this is what Casanova smelled like? Given his era - and his reported proclivities..... I think probably not. BUT it may be how his rooms smelled. Why? Old fashioned furniture polish! Before the days when we cleaned our house with antibacterial chemicals our rooms may well have smelled like this, old mellow wood, lemon and lavender, with the amber and vanilla filling the space of beeswax. Beautiful.

08 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2011)

Larimar's avatar
    Larimar
    Austria Austria

I nearly dismissed this as "soft-spoken" or "unspectacular". Fortunately, my sample lasted long enough and it grew on me. Eventually, I was seduced by this heavenly vanilla-anise accord. It fits the image or title very well as Diamondflame points out in his review. I think of this as a classic and reserved alternative to Le Male (which I like, BTW). To me both their main accords work technically very similarly. This is a seducing, overly pleasant and so very well done fragrance. I bought a bottle of it. The whole Histoires de Parfums line is definitely worth exploring in depth. A big thumbs up!

01st June, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Gèrald Gheslain founded Histoire de Parfums with the idea of interpreting colorful historical characters as scents. To appreciate the scent I find it useful to understand the nature of the character it seeks to represent. For example, Casanova was a charmer not by virtue of his physical sex appeal but rather his way with words; he was the sweet-talking smooth operator - a classic ladies man. Casanova was never about macho posturing or sexual aggression; I was therefore correct not to expect 'heavy-duty masculinity' nor anything 'raunchy' from this release. Instead, like its namesake, 1725 CASANOVA is a smooth teasingly sweet scent that seeks to romance its way into the hearts of many ladies. And I find it closer in spirit to Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille than it is to Givenchy's Pi. A worthy addition to my decant collection.

10th October, 2009

bentan's avatar
    bentan
    Singapore Singapore

Found 1725 Casanova to be quite stunning. A very charismatic scent as it opens into a warm (*surprise*) concoction of bergamot and grapefruit. The liquorice does an excellent job in ensuring that it doesn't become over citrusy and remains fairly dominant even after a good 3 hours making this a fairly full bodied scent. The citrus notes are almost totally opposite to the transparency typical of Jean-Claude Ellena's Gentien Blanc.

The mids and base notes charm with ever so slight gourmand notes of almond and lavender that envelops the warmer woods of cedar, amber and sandalwood. It does however, remind one occasionally that this is not a youthful scent, but something for the more matured. 1725 is a not a brutish, arrogant and slick Casanova, but one who is playfully confident, who teases and enjoys a the challenge of the pursuit.

08 July, 2009

damian's avatar
    damian

This is like a cross between Pi and pour un homme.
    I've tried and tried to love pour un homme, but I find the lavender opening a bit much, and the vanilla a bit strong.
    Pi is too sugary sweet and cloying.
    This takes the best aspects of both. Doesn't really fit the whole "cassanova" thing very well, but it's of the better histories releases.

27 June, 2009

jenson's avatar
    jenson
    India India

1725 is deemed to be a cult fragrance...in time. a classic fougere done so well. 1725 wastes no time and gets straight in the mids-base accords after the intial opening accords of citrus and fruity notes. towards the mids. powdery notes of lavender melts in to an ink like note warmed on a glowing base of vanilla, ambre & leather. Though this scent may seem linear, i felt it has a unique character to it..the sillage is mesmerising and a kind which envelopes the wearer. for a very broad reference..this is how MPG would interpret Dior Homme while they were composing Iris Bleu Gris or a Parfum d'Habit. .

07 March, 2009

sucrose's avatar
    sucrose

I smell and citrus and lavender sweetened with vanilla and amber. Although the notes sound promising in theory, I did not like this at all, in fact the ambery sweetness almost made me feel physically sick. Oddly, it does fit with the idea of a Cassanova: the mix of stereotypical masculine notes with over-the-top sweetness. But the result is cloying and not something I'd want to smell on a man. For a better take on a sweet citrus cologne, I'd go for Dior's Cologne Blanche.

23 January, 2009

amber's avatar
    amber
    Netherlands Netherlands

subtle pleasant, wouldn't call it sexy (although my miss thought it was), clean and sophisticated are my associations, could wear it both at work and in a bar, stays close to the skin and has medium staying power. It reminds me somehow of Pi by Givenchi only much much better! Just got a sample and tried it on twice, it's not cheap but i can imagine buying it because of my girlfriend appreciating it so much.

25 December, 2008