Reviews of 1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

Find out more about 1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Nosey49's avatar

1725 is absolutely beautiful. Not too sweet. Not too spicy. Just right. I would love a bit more projection and longevity, but this is one of my all time favorites.

07th October, 2014

Johnnyacl's avatar

Opinion: 1725 is a very nice scent, a classic fougere that gives us sweet, floral, spicy and woody scent. Very masculine, due to the lavender note, it´s elegant, classy and charming. The opening is citrusy sweet (licorice?), very agreeable, but after the lavender comes in. As you guys know, I´m not a great fan of lavender, but fortunately, it´s not too prominent here. The base notes are also very nice, giving a sweet woody scent. The combination and quality of this fragrance are both very good. Although having a good performance, the fragrance itself is never offensive, being smooth but present.

Yes, one have the similarity with Invasion Barbare, although the latter is way better, in my opinion. And guys, do not forget I´m not a fan of lavender based scents, not because I don´t like the scent itself, but because of the barber shop/mature man type of scent character. I´m 35 but I simply don´t see myself wearing this type of scents, although I see (smell) great quality in these fragrances (mostly in Invasion Barbare).

Type/Gender: Masculine.

This is clearly a manly scent.

Season and Purpose: This is a good fragrance for Spring, Summer (not the hottest days) and Fall. Almost a all year round fragrance.

This scent is quite agreeable and safe, so I´d say it´s good for work, formal occasions and possibly for some upper class events. Personally I wouldn´t use it for dates, night out or casual situations.

Achilles heel: Barber shop vibe/mature man (over 50s) type of scent (personal taste case).

Regarding Performance:

Sillage: 7.90
    Projection: 7.65
    Uniqueness: 8
    Versatility: 8.15
    --- Overall: 8.36

Would I buy it? Probably not.

Really good fragrance overall, classic fougére quality, safe, but not my cup of tea due to the "barber shop"/mature man vibe. Plus, $200 for 120 ml is not a cheap price. So, probably a no go or purchase.

21st August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

Citrus and lavender top notes suggest a conventional fougère is in the offing, but in the event, a plush, almondy heliotrope and anise accord wells up in place of the expected coumarin, and 1725 plays out like a batch of Après l’Ondée that stumbled through a lavender patch and came out smelling more assertive and androgynous for the trouble. The heliotrope and anise on a powdery foundation bring to mind Boucheron’s elegant Jaïpur Homme, but 1725 is a leaner, less elaborate scent, and may appeal to those who find the Boucheron’s oriental trappings too sweet or spicy.

As 1725 develops, the heliotrope outlasts the anise, and the drydown settles into a very soft, caressing, but not overly sweet, powdery vanillic amber accord. While the olfactory texture is downy and plush throughout, 1725 is more than adequately potent and projects effectively for several hours’ wear. Taken altogether this is a very well-crafted and gratifying fragrance. I recommend it especially to men who admire Après l’Ondée, but feel self-conscious wearing the Guerlain.

25th June, 2014 (Last Edited: 26th June, 2014)

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I never thought I’d ever have occasion to write the following words ‘superbly executed anisic fougere’. For one, most anise notes leave me cold if not reaching for the paracetamol, for another, I find the fougere category probably the most unadventurous in perfumery. But this little wonder managed to convert me. Perhaps it’s because the licorice and star anise unite so sympathetically with an earthy, almost peaty vanilla and lovely dry wood tones. It’s the anchoring influence of these deeper notes that also grounds the lavender-citrus fougere chord and makes it sound anew. The entire thing is seamless. One of those perfumes you can wear without thinking too much about them; just don’t expect some fantastic voyage.

16th April, 2014

sjg3839's avatar

Powdery vanilla, amber and almond blend that reminds me of Midnight In Paris. I guess the powdery vibe does that. This is much more refined than MIP. And at the price ($125.00) it should be. 1725 has a vintage vibe and if you don't like powdery fragrances, don't get this one. I like the fresh baby powder smell, but you can purchase MIP and get the same vibe. 7.5/10

11th April, 2014 (Last Edited: 20th November, 2014)

steve0580's avatar

It's a rich smelling citrus and powder blend that dries down to what smells like an expensive talcum powder.

24th February, 2014

Excellent opening of subdued citrus and delicate licorice. It is delicate but its delicacy doesn’t come from weak presention or lack of masculinity: there is beautifully refined subtlety within a firm olfactory presence. It is a remarkable achievement. The lavender all too soon takes over and presents a similar level of subtlety as the opening but with a heart of lavender and anise replacing the citrus dominance of the opening… not quite as remarkable – I’m not a huge fan of lavender but this one is just fine with me.

The lavender/anise lasts for a respectable period before moving into the base, which is an accomplished sandalwood / vanilla-almond, cedar and almond. The base is even better than the top two levels… it retains the same delicate intensity but with a fuller accord of wood and sweet. Two woods – sandalwood and cedar – and two sweets – vanilla and amber. The base accord comes across to me with the sandalwood / almond-scented-vanilla dominating…I can barely smell the cedar and I get absolutely no amber.

Before I tested 1725, in looking at the pyramid list I assumed that it would be a gourmet scent. It isn’t a gourmet… it’s an uncommonly subtle, quietly solid, beautifully proportioned fougere – about the most refined and sophisticated one I have encountered. Awesome.

31st January, 2014

sophulla's avatar

Germany Germany

Smart scent of subtle sweetness.

The previous review says it's not a macho scent - that's absolutely right in the sense that 18th century masculinity has some feminine attributes (frills, powder etc.) - and why not admit it?
    (It certainly smells good on both men and women.)
    Most of all, I get the citrus-vanilla-anise-almond combination, but (luckily) I would not call it a gourmand - it's far too elegant for that (maybe the lavender did this?).
    Historical inspiration realised in a modern way? I don't think so - this is not a "modern" fragrance, and I guess that's why I like it.
    You can amplify longevity if you spray it on fabric.

So good.

27th November, 2013

sjohnjay's avatar

Invasion Barbare's drier twin

If Invasion Barbare gets a 10/10 score, then I would give this 9/10.

Very similar (in vibe and actual scent) to IB, but drier.

It also differs, in that it seems a tad more powdery, "diffuse," and lacks the perfectly 'pointed head' that makes IB a total masterpiece.

Recommended for those who do OR don't own IB.

Pros: A perfect classic masculine barbershop EDP
    Cons: none

08th June, 2013

Marais's avatar

A beautiful barbershop-type fougere, but with all hard edges smoothed over. Delicate and refined, in contrast to the more macho exponents of the genre. This effect is primarily achieved through skillful use of vanilla, which adds a certain youthful eyelid-fluttering seductiveness without descending into juvenilia. Longevity is good with a generous application. One of my favourites from HdP, alongside 1828. If you aren't hairy-chested enough for Rive Gauche, or find Caron Pour Un Homme too sweet, do try this.

17th July, 2012

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Right after the first spray I do get a blast of citruses which stays just for a blink of an eyes disappearing very fast to leave space to a very evident anise and an explosion of lavender. It makes me think about Boucheron Pour Homme but in a very modern and easy to please way that get's even better trough time given the appearance of a semi-sweet tone!

Anyway, a very good fragrance that can be purchase by a very reasonable price.

02nd June, 2012

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Almost perfect fragrance. Reason I say almost is that it's a little bit weak on me, but boy, do I love the smell, fantastic.

25th May, 2012

lucasai's avatar

Poland Poland

1725 is another fragrance created by Gerald Ghislain of Histoires de Parfum which is inspired by a historical character. 1725 was the year of birth of Casanova. He's mostly known for his memoirs of vivid life in Europe capitols in XVIII century and his famous love conquests. His name became a synonym of seduction.

1725 opens with a very elegant note of two citruses - grapefruit and lemon. As it comes to speaking about citrus notes in the opening, they're often very intensive, strong, prominent and sparkling. But grapefruit & lemon in Casanova break this stereotype. They're classy, distinguished and modern. It's more like smelling their aromatic rinds rather than experiencing the aroma of the whole fruit. These two citruses are...reserved - this should be a good word to describe. There's also something powdery wandering around. Later, an oh-my-gosh-so-gorgeous lavender note appears gracefully. It's so different from one other great lavender perfume - Caron Pour un Homme. While in Caron the lavender note is very fresh, here, in 1725 lavender note is very warm and cosy. To my nose it's like experiencing highest quality sun-dried lavender. It smells like a lavender potpourri I bought during my summer trip to Croatia 2 years ago. After this time it still holds it's precious aroma, reminding me of fun times I had there. When anise joins, 1725 becomes even better. It's slightly spicy, but only a little. Then licorice adds some sweetness to break that spiciness from anise. As the fragrance evolves, 1725 Casanova changes into the most fabulous amber and vanilla scent ever created (at least in my opinion). Duet of amber & vanilla is one of my favourite duets in modern perfumery and 1725 raises the bar really high. After more time amber diffuses and the creaton gets a gourmand moment - believe me - vanilla and almonds with a note of sandalwood in the background smell delicious. Like almond cookies taken out from the oven and cooling down. The note list also mentiones cedar, bergamot and other citruses. For me there's no cedar at all here, bergamot and those other citruses maybe appeared right in the opening but were dominated by grapefruit and lemon aromas.

1725 Casanova is a wonderful aromatic-fougere eau de parfum with many facets. Once it can be all about grapefruit, the other time it's lavender, amber & vanilla that get the lead. The aroma of this fragrance is rather unique and the taste is exquisite. When someone would smell it on you, there's a high chance they would like to come back for more, so they'll come closer and closer to you. This might be the type of scent that makes others quietly involved. The perfume draws their attention and then... their attention not only focuses on 1725 but on YOU. That's how the perfume seduction works, I guess. In this case Casanova is the perfect name for this eau de parfum.
    This one is my favourite from Histoires de Parfums I smelled.

09th May, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar

It opens with a lemony grapefruit fresh spicyness with a touch of licorice. After that I can detect lavender with anise coming through with a light woodyness in the
    background. This scent is so very light and soft that it was hard to detect at first then it bloomed on my skin.

After a while I am picking up vanille underneath the spicy freshness. This fragrance reminds me of Invasion Barbare but with the violet removed and the notes toned
    down and refined.

I like this as it is really well crafted and the ingredients are top notch. And as time has moved on from my above intial impressions the soft fresh vanille aspect
    becomes more prounouced in the basenotes and surrounds you in a halo of lovelyness.

So to sum up I do love its spicy woody freshness in the opening and soft vanille sweetness in the basenotes. And I get six to seven hours in longevity.

18th February, 2012

manicboy's avatar

Grapefruit & anise are usually found in "fresh" fragrances and not in orientals. Here, the path of grapefruit and anise is followed by exquisite trails of vanilla, almond and amber. Novel approach and execution. Kind of smells like Lolita au Masculin but with more complexity of the citrus notes. At times smells like somebody mixed black licorice with marzipan. Unique and certainly worthy of the high price.

11th September, 2011

alfarom's avatar

A superb example of how fougeres can be "handled" to become extremely modern. 1725 opens with a consistent combo of liquorice and anice that may bring immediately to mind of Menardo's creations for YSL (body Kouros) or Bucheron (Jaipur). At this point you could make the mistake to easily dismiss this composition as another "trendy" gourmand, but be aware that 1725 is much more than that. Lavender and citrus start to interact with the main ingredients creating a fantastic and original fougere enriched in the drydown by vanilla, amber and woody notes. The "extra touch" IMO comes from Almond that perfectly blends with all of the previously mentioned elements adding some refinement and uniqueness.

While I absolutely admire Menardo's compositions I also strongly believe that 1725 takes the genre (and in this case also modern french perfumery in general) a step forward. Every note is at the same time perfectly detectable and incredibly blended with all the others as if were part of an high resolution picture of an immense landscape. Next to 1740 and 1969, one of my favourite fragrance in the Histoires De Parfums Library of Scents.

08th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 09th August, 2011)

Shifty Bat's avatar

I have written too many reviews that compare one fragrance to a blend of others, but this just can't be ignored-
    1725 smells like a direct cross between Apparition Homme Intense and Hypnotic Poison. You have the tangy-sweet mandarin/anise aspect with some bergamot on top counterbalanced by the powdery-strange vanilla-almond which comes off smelling like makeup. This is a dandy scent; delicious, indulgent, and utterly unisex, or maybe 'of questionable sex.' It is a curiosity and a treat. It is excellent. I only wish the stuff was a little louder.

11th June, 2011

bokaba's avatar

I agree for the most part that 1725 is a more complex version of Caron pour un Homme. 1725 has the same gourmand lavender-vanilla accord but the opening boasts a little sweet anise and the heart and base are dominated with some type of sweet amber. Very good, but I'm not sure it's worth the price.

27th February, 2011

Primrose's avatar

When I sampled 1725 Casanova, I immediately thought this was the richer, more expensive version of Caron's Pour Un Homme. The vanilla and the lavender were very much in evidence. Is it an homage to the name of the fragrance: Casanova, the great seducer? This scent does not strike me as racy nor wildly seductive. It is subtle and refined. A true pleasure to wear with good sillage and longevity. As Casanova reputedly (reputedly, mind you) had affairs with women and a few men in the mix, 1725 is fragrance that both men and women can enjoy. No passionate love potion here, just a settled, enjoyable scent with elegance. We need to keep in mind that Casanova ended his days as a librarian. (Don't all die-hard rakes settle down in their older years?!)

14th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 12th February, 2011)

michailG's avatar

1725. The instant I smelled this and put it on I really liked it. The initial freshness of hesperides blended in with the liquorice and a powdery woody warmth swept me away.
    A hint of anise aroused my nostrils and the milkyness of almond wrapped the whole composition. Is there lavender? Somewhere there, yes, but it’s so delicate that I just notice it, instead vanilla is more prominent, both notes though are well balanced. Warm woods, citrus and herbal freshness, and a powdery, milky dry down! Mind you there is something that I find slightly irritating in the dry down; I wonder could it be amber? 1725 is strangely familiar but still extraordinary.

25th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2010)

Foustie's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Essentially a beautiful and interesting soft amber. Begins lemony woody, with lavender and liquorice quickily coming through, then after a time the dry down of vanilla and amber with cedar and floral notes. I am not a huge fan of vanilla but this is soft and integral to the drydown. It does not overwhelm. I don't find this fragrance too sweet as some others do. I agree wth Jenson that 1725 may seem almost linear but in fact it is far from that. It does develop quickly but with nuance and interest which continues throughout.

05/04/2011, Hmm, I am playing with my sample box of Histoire De parfum again and every time I smell 1725 I have the same thought. I wonder if this is what Casanova smelled like? Given his era - and his reported proclivities..... I think probably not. BUT it may be how his rooms smelled. Why? Old fashioned furniture polish! Before the days when we cleaned our house with antibacterial chemicals our rooms may well have smelled like this, old mellow wood, lemon and lavender, with the amber and vanilla filling the space of beeswax. Beautiful.

08th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2011)

Larimar's avatar

Austria Austria

I nearly dismissed this as "soft-spoken" or "unspectacular". Fortunately, my sample lasted long enough and it grew on me. Eventually, I was seduced by this heavenly vanilla-anise accord. It fits the image or title very well as Diamondflame points out in his review. I think of this as a classic and reserved alternative to Le Male (which I like, BTW). To me both their main accords work technically very similarly. This is a seducing, overly pleasant and so very well done fragrance. I bought a bottle of it. The whole Histoires de Parfums line is definitely worth exploring in depth. A big thumbs up!

01st June, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Gèrald Gheslain founded Histoire de Parfums with the idea of interpreting colorful historical characters as scents. To appreciate the scent I find it useful to understand the nature of the character it seeks to represent. For example, Casanova was a charmer not by virtue of his physical sex appeal but rather his way with words; he was the sweet-talking smooth operator - a classic ladies man. Casanova was never about macho posturing or sexual aggression; I was therefore correct not to expect 'heavy-duty masculinity' nor anything 'raunchy' from this release. Instead, like its namesake, 1725 CASANOVA is a smooth teasingly sweet scent that seeks to romance its way into the hearts of many ladies. And I find it closer in spirit to Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille than it is to Givenchy's Pi. A worthy addition to my decant collection.

10th October, 2009

bentan's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Found 1725 Casanova to be quite stunning. A very charismatic scent as it opens into a warm (*surprise*) concoction of bergamot and grapefruit. The liquorice does an excellent job in ensuring that it doesn't become over citrusy and remains fairly dominant even after a good 3 hours making this a fairly full bodied scent. The citrus notes are almost totally opposite to the transparency typical of Jean-Claude Ellena's Gentien Blanc.

The mids and base notes charm with ever so slight gourmand notes of almond and lavender that envelops the warmer woods of cedar, amber and sandalwood. It does however, remind one occasionally that this is not a youthful scent, but something for the more matured. 1725 is a not a brutish, arrogant and slick Casanova, but one who is playfully confident, who teases and enjoys a the challenge of the pursuit.

08th July, 2009

damian's avatar

This is like a cross between Pi and pour un homme.
    I've tried and tried to love pour un homme, but I find the lavender opening a bit much, and the vanilla a bit strong.
    Pi is too sugary sweet and cloying.
    This takes the best aspects of both. Doesn't really fit the whole "cassanova" thing very well, but it's of the better histories releases.

27th June, 2009

jenson's avatar

India India

1725 is deemed to be a cult fragrance...in time. a classic fougere done so well. 1725 wastes no time and gets straight in the mids-base accords after the intial opening accords of citrus and fruity notes. towards the mids. powdery notes of lavender melts in to an ink like note warmed on a glowing base of vanilla, ambre & leather. Though this scent may seem linear, i felt it has a unique character to it..the sillage is mesmerising and a kind which envelopes the wearer. for a very broad reference..this is how MPG would interpret Dior Homme while they were composing Iris Bleu Gris or a Parfum d'Habit. .

07th March, 2009

sucrose's avatar

I smell and citrus and lavender sweetened with vanilla and amber. Although the notes sound promising in theory, I did not like this at all, in fact the ambery sweetness almost made me feel physically sick. Oddly, it does fit with the idea of a Cassanova: the mix of stereotypical masculine notes with over-the-top sweetness. But the result is cloying and not something I'd want to smell on a man. For a better take on a sweet citrus cologne, I'd go for Dior's Cologne Blanche.

23rd January, 2009

amber's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

subtle pleasant, wouldn't call it sexy (although my miss thought it was), clean and sophisticated are my associations, could wear it both at work and in a bar, stays close to the skin and has medium staying power. It reminds me somehow of Pi by Givenchi only much much better! Just got a sample and tried it on twice, it's not cheap but i can imagine buying it because of my girlfriend appreciating it so much.

25th December, 2008