Negative Reviews of Red Vetyver by Montale

Everybody keeps comparing this to Terre D'Hermes and many people say this one is even better because it lasts longer!
Based on these opinions I was going to blind buy Red Vetyver when I finished my Terre D'Hermes bottles.
BTW I have both EDT and Pure Parfum versions of Terre 'Hermes and love them both. It's my signature scent and every time that I don't know what to wear ... Terre D'Hermes is something that comes in my mind.
Anyway, a few weeks back one of my friends got Red Vetyver and I had a chance to test it out and see if whatever I've heard and read is true.

The opening of this fragrance is a sweet and juicy orange note mixed with some woods, some spices and maybe a lttle bit of vetiver.
The overall feeling of the scent remind me of Terre D'Hermes but dude, quality of Terre D'Hermes is something else and waaaaay better than this!
Terre D'Hermes is more aromatic and you can definitely smell black pepper and orange in it and they feel very realistic but this one is kind of synthetic!

As time passes by I can detect even more differences between these two. Red Vetyver in the drydown and base changes to a synthetic bitter woody slightly spicy kind of scent and this is where the quality of Terre D'Hermes shines even more!
Based on my experience with Red Vetyver now I know what I'm going to do when I'm finished my Terre D'Hermes bottles. I'll buy just another bottle!
There is no way that I buy Red Vetyver!
If I'm gonna buy a synthetic version of Terre D'Hermes I'll go for Rasasi brand that copies many famous fragrances with poor quality and very cheap prices. you can buy 100ml for around $15 and just like Red Vetyver it's is a synthetic and cheap version of Terre D'Hermes!
Projection and longevity is very good with Red Vetyver. moderate projection and around 6-7 hours longevity but personally I choose quality over longevity!
22nd June, 2015
Cedar, Iso E Super, citrus, spices, a sweet base accord comprising patchouli, tonka, perhaps sandalwood. Terre d'Hermès? Yes, quite a bit. But also more "generic" mainstream oriental-woody scents like for example Carbone by Balmain. Not the slightest hint of vetiver except for a rubbery-pencil feel à la Encre Noire which I'm given to know someone still mistakes for vetiver. Not stinky, but derivative, dull and plain.

26th July, 2014
Genre: Woods

I'm afraid I can't get onto the Red Vetyver love train. This scent has gotten a lot of positive buzz on the Basenotes discussion boards, but after two full days' wearings I find it disappointingly thin, harsh, and hollow. It's as if there's some critical missing element between the sharp red pepper and the dry woody vetiver that leaves the structure barren, abrasive, and impoverished. Not one of my favorites from Montale, and not one of my favorite vetivers.
25th June, 2014

After much anticipation and quite a lot of effort, I managed to come by a decant from a renowned site in Germany, as Montale isn't available in the UK.
What a complete disappointment this was! People go on about how this is similar to my signature scent, Terre d' Hermes, but all I can detect is ethanol/alcohol (ISO E Super perhaps?), some light citrus and that's just about it. No evolving pattern of top/middle/base notes, just a very bland alcohol-like scent with light citrus. I was expecting a more woody scent overall, but this turned out to be quite revolting. It was a scrubber - it turned out to be too medicinal and all-out synthetic. I expected more from a company that has been praised on these forums as being 'the baseline' of vetivers and orientals.
OK, I'm not going to judge Montale on just one fragrance, but if this is anything to go by, I will be approaching even a decant of any Montale fragrance with great caution. Don't hold your breath. Stick to Terre d' Hermes or if you prefer, give DR Harris Windsor a try. A very big thumbs down from me on Red Vetyver.
30th November, 2012
Pepper, sweet citrus and the wood shavings aspect of vetiver combine in this rather lacklustre fragrance. About the only point of interest is an accord that wavers between incense and medicine cabinet.

08th June, 2012