Positive Reviews of Red Vetyver by Montale

Find out more about Red Vetyver by Montale in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

sjg3839's avatar

Terre D Hermes clone (not a bad thing at all). Light Vetiver, grapefruit, cedar and a bit of pepper makes Red Vetyver a nice clean fragrance. Great scent. A bit too pricey for a fragrance you could purchase for half the price by purchasing TDH. 8/10

13 January, 2014

djgordo1's avatar

Definitely on my top Favorite list

This is a beautiful earthy smell. I have to say it is very linear but it is not a bad thing. From beginning to end I enjoy this frag. The vetiver,grapefruit and wood are the core of this scent. I reminds me of nature, for example going camping and taking in that fresh smell of the woods in the morning. I will leave link to my full review on my youtube channel below if you all are interested.

Pros: keeps going and going
    Cons:

20th September, 2013

heiver's avatar

Best vetiver/spices fragrance

One of my favourite vetivers and favourite Montales. This fresh combination of spices and vetiver seems to appeal me a lot! I just purchased a full bottle from this beauty. This scent is really relaxing, and sets my mind to a relaxing, confident state. This smells like a hay of dried vetiver roots splashed with Grapefruit and Black Pepper. I smell Elemi, Patchouli, Cedarwood too, which adds to the complexity of the scent. These notes stay in the background, never overpowering the vetiver/spice notes. Great longevity and sillage.

On a sidenote: I have and use both Terre d'Hermes and Montale's Vetyver. I admit they are similar, but if you "listen", you can smell the differences. Honestly I can recommend both.

Pros: high quality, mature, great sillage and longevity, masculine, unique, refreshing
    Cons: nothing"

25 July, 2013

reveillee's avatar

I agree mostly with Postumo's assessment of Red Vetyver.
    "For me it's like a perfect blend of vetver + the best of Terre + the cool peppery effect of Poivre Samarcand. Longer lasting that both Hermes with a gentle and transparent sillage.
    For me it's a winner, you can't go wrong with it. Easy to wear and suitable for most situations and any weather."

To my nose, it is close to a masterpiece. Love it.
    A little more citrus and sweeter than Terre d'Hermes which used to be my favorite.

25 April, 2013

Quartz's avatar

As everybody else has noted, this is very, very similar to Hermes. Seems a little more lemony at the start.If you like Hermes and enjoy cedar, then you'll like Red Vetyver. I think I'd be inclined to go with Hermes only because it's cheaper.

18 March, 2013

's avatar

Lasts longer than TDH and smells pretty much the same. Win win for me.

21st January, 2013

Preston H's avatar

Vetiver on another level. Unlike most vetivers, it's not bitter or sour smelling at the end. A very natural smelling perfume, patchouli and cedar wood add a refined smokiness while the elemi adds a sweetened note to balance out the bitterness of vetiver. Love it, would recommend to others..

10th July, 2012

Postumo's avatar

Spain Spain

For me it's like a perfect blend of vetver + the best of Terre + the cool peppery effect of Poivre Samarcand. Longer lasting that both Hermes with a gentle and transparent sillage. Its projection is similar to Terre's but less dense.

28 June, 2012

bejahu's avatar

Excellent fragrance. I can understand why so many people comparison Red Vetyver to Terre d'Hermes. For the first few minutes or so they are similar. After that, however, the similarities cease. Red Vetyver is brighter, sweeter, and dryer than Terre d'Hermes (which is greener, grittier, and deeper). Red Vetyver has (not surprisingly) a dominant vetiver note, while Terre d'Hermes has a dominant cedar one.

The longevity and projection of Red Vetyver are outstanding: I'm getting 12-16 hours on my skin. The smell is fresh, bright, and clean. This is a very flexible scent that can be worn all year around. It goes just as well with jeans and a t-shirt as it does with a business suit.

I strongly recommend it. This one is a real winner!

25 February, 2012

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I can see why some have compared this to Terre d'Hermes - it certainly bears a passing resemblance to the bestseller. But only in passing. Closer inspection reveals RED VETYVER to have the more sparkling topnotes, presumably on account of the elemi. The vetiver however lacks the heft and sandy texture that characterize the Hermes, with a light dose of patchouli filling in the gaps. Very natural smelling. I'm pleasantly surprised at its overall levity; it wears like a splash-on EDC while retaining the tenacity of an EDP.

A quality piece of work from Montale that will please even the noses of those who are not fans of vetiver.

04 June, 2011

DazWah84's avatar

OMG this fragrance is just amazing! Not to overbearing, very long lasting. I sprayed 2 to the chest and could smell it 10+ hours later. It does show some resemblance to Terre d'Hermes in the dry down but not as loud and sharp. The opening is also really different from TdH. Highly recommend if you like earthy scents.

24 February, 2011

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Red Vetyver
    I love it. It´s an extravagant fragrance. Super silage, super longevyti

12 October, 2010

cpk's avatar

Greece Greece

This a joy to own and wear. Think of it as the composition of Terre d' Hermes with the citrus toned down and the geranium turned up a notch, plus the balmy sweetness of Vetiver Tonka. On me lasts forever.

11th July, 2010

suzi2qs's avatar

An amazing vetiver fragrance indeed. The opening is sharp, the pepper and grapefruit combine and certainly give one a wake up call. Press your nose too close to the sight of application and the pepper threatens to take out your nose hair. The sharpness falls back just a bit as the vetiver, cedar and patchouli come into play going into the drydown. What is left on my skin is a spiced up vetiver/patchouli marriage that I find thoroughly enjoyable. This does not have quite the projection and sillage of Montale's Aoud fragrances, however it holds its own even on a hot, sweaty day. Kudos to Mr. Montale, although not every fragrance from this house suits me perfectly, I have found all are made from high quality materials and I don't have to use up half of a bottle to smell myself as with so many modern offerings. After so many disappointments, it is refreshing to have access to fragrances that don't disappear like a thief in the night.

28 June, 2010

JaimeB's avatar

An interesting and different take on vetiver. This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I feel the elemi and grapefruit in the top note makes for a very promising beginning. The rest is conventional enough not to be offensive. It seems to have good longevity and sillage on me, and I like the rather unorthodox beginning.

27 April, 2010

rinosaur's avatar

A spicy version of Terre d'Hermes without the over ripe oranges. I don't know about the quality of ingredients but I bet they are good considering the Montale name. I personally prefer the Hermes though.

23 August, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Montale Red Vetyver

Pierre Montale has made a name for himself with the extensive Aoud based line of scents he has designed for Montale. As much as I like and admire those, my two favorite Montales are non-aoud scents Blue Amber and the 2008 release Red Vetyver. Red Vetyver is a complex citrus forward scent and you won't hear me use complex and citrus-forward in the same sentence too often. Red Vetyver bursts to life with a grapefruit that sparkles over a base of vetiver. The razor sharp cut of vetiver in contrast to the citrus is a brilliant beginning. After a while the spicy kick of pepper joins the grapefruit and vetiver and this blend lasts for a good while and adds some heat to the chilly top. Red Vetyver finishes out on a bed of clean cedar and earthy patchouli which is the kind of depth you want a scent like Red Vetyver to close with. Red Vetyver has been unfairly compared to Terre D'Hermes and I think that comparison is because they were both introduced within a year of each other and they both start with such distinctive grapefruit tops. Terre D'Hermes is classic Ellena minimalism at play. Red Vetyver is almost the exact opposite of that and happily so.If you like the Montale Aouds cross over to the non-aoud side of the street and give yourself a chance to be impressed, like me.

23 May, 2009

hollyc's avatar

The vetiver in this is soft and citrussy vs. the vetiver in des Sables which is bitingly resinous (and lovely). This one has a beautiful mix of soft spice and is just ever so slightly soapy. The longer I have this one on, the more I am convinced that it must be added to my collection. It wears close to the body and seems to last well, going through many stages. Fantastic! Also could be worn well by either a man or a woman. Another winner from Montale!

08 May, 2009

djolney's avatar

A vetiver I can wear.

I am one of the unfortunate people on whom Guerlain Vetiver turns into bug spray, so I am constantly in search of a vetiver I can wear. Red Vetiver is the first fragrance I have found that lets me have moist and earthy vetiver along with a smile.

I can’t smell the grapefruit in Red Vetiver. Instead, I smell a combination of wetness, sweetness, and bitterness that reminds me of green capsicum. In conjunction with the wet and earthy vetiver this makes for a lush smell.

The pepper adds an enjoyable dose of heat to Red Vetiver, and the contrast between the heat and wetness stops the fragrance from becoming too linear.

The dry down of Red Vetiver brings cedar and patchouli into play. The cedar has an extra note to it, which reminds me of oak moss, and the patchouli turns slightly chocolaty (like in Patchouli Leaves). The patchouli plus the remains of the pepper reminds me of a chilli truffle.

Red Vetiver has the shortest life on my skin of any Montale I have tried so far: after six hours it becomes a skin scent without obvious projection.

Red Vetiver is not a great Montale, but it is a nice vetiver.

25 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2009)

tvlampboy's avatar

What a bizarre little beastie this is!

I agree with foetidus that the vetiver is somewhat obscured here, but what I can't get over is the lack of comments on the creamy/almost gourmand notes I keep picking up on in this Montale. (Is that chocolate I pick up on? No, no no . . . vanilla, then? Much more likely.)

The wood and spice/pepper notes are very linear here, much more so even than in the often compared TdH.

A good Montale? Yes. A great Montale? No. The juice is not, IMHO, commensurate with the posh Parisian price tag. Still, a weak thumbs up for quality ingredients, great sillage, awesome longevity and skillful blending.

29 January, 2009

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Red Vetyver is a more natural smelling Terre d'Hermes. I'm wearing both as I type this, gave Red Vetyver a couple full wearings already and it's still quite difficult to tell them apart. It may be my untrained nose, or it may be that they just don't have that much difference between them. Good scent, albeit unoriginal. I give it a tentative thumbs up...

08 December, 2008

finsfan's avatar

I loved this scent the 1st time I wore it. Liked its spices, but they are not like Piper Nigrum, or Rose Poivree. Rather, this is more gentle, and warm as Foetidus said. No mint, but maybe pink peppers. Then the second time I wore it, I was expecting a sillage monster and did not get that. I was wanting it to be this loud, show stopper, better-make-sure-I-don't-use-more-than-two-sprays scent like Black Aoud. But the more I wear it, the more I get back to the wowness of the 1st wearing. Don't really know why that is, but it is. I like to spray this on my arms as well as the crook of my neck, just right near the shoulder blades. This scent really does linger and last, though it does not project like Aoud Limes or Black Aoud or Rose Petals. But it is stronger than a regular Eau de Toilette. How do I know? Well, at lunch, after wearing it for five hours, I passed within 4 feet of a lady heading in the opposite direction. When she was ten feet past me, and we were just walking past each other, she shouted out that wow, I smelled good. This was in an office building. So its sillage is more than what your nose may think. It has a different sort of spiciness to it, not like the heavy spices in some scents that are black pepper, or cloves, or something assaultive. Now, I am not a vetiver lover, so this Haitian vetiver must be a different sort than that in Guerlains, or Floris. The scent works for me, and is versatile. You can wear it with a suit, but it is not authoritative. You can wear it with shorts and a polo shirt to that backyard patio party, but it is not whimsical. I wore this as a sample in August heat in Memphis, Tn, and it wore well, and it wears well so far into the fall (middle October)

15 October, 2008

Red Vetyver is a different approach to vetiver: It comes on spicy and warm. I suppose the purpose for its warmth is to contrast with the coolness of vetiver. The problem with this is that I haven’t been able to find the vetiver: The accord gives almost every evidence that the vetiver is there, but I can’t quite pull out the identifiable vetiver note. The same goes for the grapefruit note. I do not find any “coolness” in the form of grapefruit: The pepper, patchouli, and cedar predominate to my nose to the point of becoming ethereally aromatic.

In spite of the lack of identifiable vetiver, grapefruit, and cool, I thoroughly enjoy this fragrance. I find the rather linear spicy wood accord very rich in itself and particularly enjoyable – addictive even. Furthermore, The scent has a excellent longevity and good projection: Its rich and masculine aroma is particularly inviting and wearable. Red Vetyver is, along with Blue Amber, the best Montale non-aoud I’ve tried. Looks like another purchase.

28 September, 2008