Neutral Reviews of Dunhill Black by Dunhill

Find out more about Dunhill Black by Dunhill in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

The_Cologneist's avatar

This has a pretty boring muffled set of top notes. Smells like a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I didn't particularly care for this one until it dried down. Here it turns into a soft smooth leather, it really redeems itself from its trashy opening. There really isn't anything "black" about this one though.. the opening has a slight ink like accord for a few moments, perhaps that's where the name came from.

17 May, 2014

The unexciting green opening is so uninspired that it not only causes boredom, but foreshadows future ennui for the rest of the fragrance – I can’t remember another green accord so characterless as this – it’s not bad, it’s not synthetic, it’s just meaningless... and short lived. The heart accord unceremoniously enters as a weak jasmine / lavender – again, not bad, not synthetic, just characterless. The jasmine is weak, and so is the lavender. I think the opening’s green notes stays in the background, but it’s hard to tell with two such unmemorable accords. I wait for a long time for the base to show up, but the middle seems to insist on a slow agonizing death before it yields to the next in line. The base – well… it took me three testings before I admitted that the base was nearly non-existent. The pyramid says suede, giaic wood, and cedar – two woods and a mild leather. My inability to catch much of the base is a disappointment because the base sounds like it could be good if it were done right. But the base appears to be one typical of many modern fragrances – hopelessly weak.

I’ve been rough on this fragrance – probably tougher than I should have been and that presents and opinion that I don’t really have. Dunhill Black is not overtly “synthetic,” it is not gross or juvenile or annoying in any way; its main character is that it is uninspired and generic … but that is apparently no crime these days. The top levels are pleasant and enjoyable. The base, though, deserves a bit more criticism than the top levels of the fragrance… but I have to admit that this is not anywhere near the worst fragrance I’ve smelled in the past few weeks... it’s worth testing.

09 February, 2014

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

it opens with a smell like jews mallow which is very offinsive in my country .... but it settles down to an acceptable smell ...any way ...not my cup of tea .....

30th March, 2009