Positive Reviews of Kohdo Wood Collection: Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone

Find out more about Kohdo Wood Collection: Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

verycharlie's avatar
    verycharlie

The opening has a wonderful green, translucent woods, as Odysseusm describes very well. I also get the hint of ginger and the scent develops into a beautiful, slightly sweet sandalwood then woodsy dry down that somehow retains a cool bite throughout. I really love this scent because it's warm and comforting yet has a sheer, cool translucence and dark spice, tang and hint of floral hovering at it's edges that keeps it interesting and changing subtly. It's very elegant, doesn't shout and lasts well on my skin. A perfect everyday scent. I wish I had more than the little bit given to me by a friend.

09 November, 2011

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Notes: black cardamom, orchid, kyara wood (a type of agarwood/oudh)
    This scent is part of the JM Kohdo Wood Collection (Limited Edition). Kodo: (Japanese, “the way of incense”) is a Japanese incense ceremony.
    This is an attractive wood-incense scent. It starts with green, translucent notes which suggest a tropical forest. The cardamom gives a slightly sweet, spicy aspect. There is a ghostly silver trail of incense smoke which lurks in the background. The dry-down gets pleasantly woody, with cedar being the major element and a minor brightening from the agarwood. This is lovely and warming on a cool day.

06 January, 2011

superped2's avatar
    superped2

Great scent rom Jo Malone I honestly cannot get enough of this scent, it is perfect for the fall and winter.
    I have like 5 samples of this and would really like to get a bottle so if anyone is selling one please let me know thanks

05 October, 2010

irfan's avatar
    irfan
    Malaysia Malaysia

Just got a bottle. Definitely my favorite Jo Malone. Enaf said.

12 August, 2010

keta6atl's avatar
    keta6atl

interesting is what I say about this scent...very seductive...perfer it on my female counterpart...but can work on me....only in the winter..and if I am in the mood for it....would I buy this again?...yes...but almost to spicy for me...I prefer jm pom over this but still give this a buy

16 December, 2009

Grrlscout's avatar
    Grrlscout

I agree with terrypitts and an_oud_girl - it's like finding flowers in a slightly autumnal forest. Terrific winter scent! I think it might be a tad too floral to be truly unisex. It's still on sale at Jo Malone shops in the UK, last time I checked.

06 October, 2009

Heartwood's avatar
    Heartwood

I love it. This is a beautiful treatment of lily-- not honey-sweetened, not ripe and lush, but elevated to something bright, weightless and almost pungent by spicy ginger. I don't find amber to be much in evidence until well into the drydown, but it is quite exotic, especially when the incense comes forward. Yet, I wouldn't call this scent "dark." The incense isn't brooding, the lily not funereal. This to me is a beautful summer fragrance; serene and uplifting. It reminds me of visiting a Japanese garden on a warm afternoon, sitting in an azumaya shaded by surrounding cypress trees, watching the koi investigate brightly hued fallen leaves from Japanese maples floating on the surface of a sun-dappled pond.

14 June, 2009

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

I adore this. It's sensual, deep, woody, earthy...yet light... It's gentle for an incense-wood fragrance, with a clear, very dry, ambery base, Beautiful spices make this fragrance intruiging, because they are, somehow, both bitter and sweet. I do love to layer this with Lotus Blossom & Water Lily, but Dark Amber & Ginger Lily is absolutely gorgeous on its own. This fragrance was just what I needed to reignite my scent curiousity, which had dulled due to burn-out from my disappointment with countless new releases. WHY is this a limited edition? Now I have to hoard.

04 June, 2009

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

This comes in a black bottle to accentuate the 'dark' aspect I suppose. I'm not sure why it is categorised as feminine -- it seems pretty unisex to me. It has a spicy incensey feel right from the start with the lily joining in later -- all very funereal. The ginger isn't that strong to me, but I have trouble identifying that note amongst other spices anyway. The best is yet to come though with the fabulous amber rendition kicking in at the bottom-- similar to the one in Cavalli Black -- so very sexy. A real return to form for this House imo. You need to seek this one out.

27 April, 2009

Kewal's avatar
    Kewal

I also love this fragrance. Stock up now, it's going away again! (sorry, I'm not joking)

25 April, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar
    Somerville Metro Man

Jo Malone Dark Amber and Ginger Lily

Jo Malone is a British perfumer known for their simple one or two-note fragrances. As a line they are usually very high quality and they are ideal for layering. That is why the 2008 limited release Dark Amber and Ginger Lily was so surprising to me. For the first time this was a Jo Malone which felt like it was meant to stand all on its own. So much so that I couldn't possibly think about putting anything on top of this because it is so nice it would ruin it for me. The top of this scent begins with a light combination of spices. First to my nose was cardamom followed by pepper and then ginger. This leads to the heart where the ginger slowly morphs into a lily accord combined with incense. This scent was inspired by Japanese incense ceremonies and it is here where that mood is most evoked as the combination of floral and incense comes off near-perfect for me. In the base is where the amber finally makes its appearance and it is combined with a suede-like leather and sandalwood. I'm not sure this is a "dark amber" but it is a deeper less sweet amber than is usually present in the base of most scents. For me this scent is a complete triumph as it mixes almost all of my favorite things and does it in a way that keeps it from being jarring or banal. From spice to floral incense to woody amber this scent pleases me on every esthetic level I hold for perfume. As mentioned above this was a limited release in 2008 but it was brought back in 2009 also in a limited release and is as the time of this review still available. For me this is the best Jo Malone to date and is one of my favorites in any line.

04 April, 2009

Kevin Guyer's avatar
    Kevin Guyer

A cedar dominated floral that mysteriously, as Luca Turin has pointed out, creates the illusion that you're wearing Mysore sandalwood: alchemy at its finest! I sure hope it loses its Limited Edition status and becomes a perennial!

04 April, 2009

Morgaine's avatar
    Morgaine

No reviews? Then let me be the first to say this is wonderful. I don't know nor care what dark amber or ginger lilies are supposed to be or smell like, but the resulting fragrance is enchanting.
    It opens on a candied gingery note which slowly sinks in a pool of resinous smoothness, laced with incense. There's a clarity about the whole, a complete lack of powderiness that makes it feel very bright and awake. It was meant to interpret a tea ceremony, I believe, but I think this is a very seductive scent.
    Lasting power is excellent, and on clothing it lingers for days on end.
    Shame it had to be a limited edition. Thumbs way up.

23 March, 2009