Reviews of Oeillet Sauvage by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Ack. I'm afraid that for me this fragrance was all hairspray(!), literally the scent of Aqua Net dragging through my sinuses and bitterly hitting the back of my tongue. If I hunt for it, I can detect something sweet and pleasant in there - lily and vanilla? - but it is swimming in a heavy, synthetic, chemical miasma that I associate with cheaper perfumes. I get no carnation whatsoever, no spice, no powder, just faint peekaboo lily and a heavy hairspray fog. I'm super disappointed to have such a negative experience with a scent that worked so well for others!
03rd May, 2016

A powdery / mixed floral / spicy fragrance based on the wild carnation. It smells of real carnation to me – that is, I think most carnation scents smell like cloves, not carnation. This one smells like carnation, but the carnation isn’t alone, it is well-accompanied by other florals – rose, lily, and wallflower to be exact. There is quite a strong vanilla coming through from the base, too. But…the main message that I get is powder. On my skin it’s unbelievably powdery, which is a good thing, I suppose, if you like powder… I don’t. I find the scent quite strong and projecting, but it mainly projects powder not the florals or even the vanilla. I must admit that it is a beautiful version of powder – definitely not the baby variety. The dry down, though, takes this scent out of L’Artisan territory – it is extremely long lasting as a dry spicy skin scent. I don’t know where those drydown notes come from, but they were there, sixteen hours after application, the six times I tested this fragrance. And the dry down is somewhat masculine IMO. So there you have it: powdery, not much carnation, flowery, and then a long lasting almost masculine skin scent spicy dry down. Not for me, but a quality fragrance that could be excellent for the right person.

22nd November, 2008