Neutral Reviews of Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

Find out more about Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

warho15's avatar

A blast of burnt rubber, followed by a ghostly vetiver sweetened with just a pinch of vanilla and the tiniest amount of fecal musk. Becomes a nondescript wisp of musk and spice rather quickly. Interesting in theory, and smooth in execution. However, impractical in use when compared with its peers.

If you've ever wished that all the warmth and humor in Bulgari Black was syphoned from the notes of the fragrance to the fragrance's title, this is for you.

If you like that initial onslaught of burnt rubber at the top to be backed up by just as voracious (and interesting) of a heart and drydown, but like things dry and unsweetened, try "Tea" from CdG's "Series 1: Leaves" or Smell Bent's "Violet Tendencies".

16th January, 2013

Redbeard's avatar

This is a bit cursory...testing the very end of a manufacturer sample vial. It opens weak with just a little vanilla, and smells remarkably similar to vanilla extract. Only after a few minutes does the vetiver begin to appear, but it's very subtle. This begins the slow transition to a somewhat greener scent than the topnotes suggested, but also heralds further weakening. It's almost as weak as the vague traces I got from their Secretions Magnifiques...I'm anosmic to the really nasty note there, and I almost wonder if I'm anosmic to some notes in FE too. I start to pick up a bit of cinnamon in the base, but that's about the end of the story. It's nice enough, but still rather plasticky.

For practical purposes, there's nothing this could do for me that L'Occitane Vetyver hasn't already done at a low price. I really like the vanilla/vetiver combination and I need to find more examples of it (maybe Vetyver Haiti or the Hermessence?), but already FE is way more synthetic-smelling than the L'Occitane. Or if you're more interested in the cinnamon/vanilla combo, there's a whole laundry list of spicy orientals that do the trick better.

11th September, 2011

Ralph's avatar

It's a bit daft saying of a fragrance 'Well, it'd be good if the top notes carried on for longer,' because by definition, they're fleeting. With Fat Electrician though I really do want to say this because the top notes - a dazzlingly bright, sharp, vetiver blast - are glorious. But then they disappear and there's not really a whole lot left after they've gone - well, besides a gentle vanilla and a shadow of the opening vetiver hovering pale in the background. Shame.

22nd July, 2011

I understand the reason for “electric” as part of the name: With my first whiff the vetiver / vanilla / opoponax combination smelled like a blast of electricity. The note didn’t last long and the vetiver accord continues on a path of becoming weaker and more synthetic. I’m not getting much more from this fragrance than a not very interesting vetiver / vanilla accord. This is not the first scent I’ve smelled that combines vetiver and vanilla into a fragrance’s dominant accord. I’ve gotten a somewhat similar metallic vetiver in CSP’s Vetyver Haiti, and I wasn’t impressed by that scent either. I’d say that this is an interesting use of vetiver in Fat Electrician, but it’s too metallic, synthetic, and electrical for my taste… and then after that disappointment, it wimps out… disappears from my skin within an hour.

07th June, 2011

MissMagic's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Smells exactly like self-tanning-cream!! Salt air, sea, the scent of burning sun, +45 celsius, an over-crowded mad beach by the meditarranean sea, in late july. Synthetic plastic Self-tanning-cream and sweat, sunburnt red bodys... AND myrrh !! Perfume made as an piece of art, so strange - made ugly-beautiful.

10th May, 2011

upsilon's avatar

A light weight, synthetic, wearable, but ultimately forgettable vetiver. The first three things that immediately come to mind upon application are orange, vetiver, and fresh rubber straight from the factory. An interesting mix and worth trying out, especially if you're a fan of vetivers. There is minimal development for the duration of this scent and overall lasting power is average. I've had a fine young lady say she loved this scent, so that counts for something in my book. Never the less, I'll stick to more raw and rugged smelling vetivers for daily wear.

03rd June, 2010

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The topnotes of Fat Electrician seems to radiate heat the way some amber fragrances do: not smoky but steamy, like a sauna. I find the effect very pleasant. The rest of the scent is vetiver, just vetiver. It starts with the rooty aspect of vetiver - not dry/dirty/earthy but smooth and polished, a little sweetish and vaguely buttery, the face of vetiver that tends to make me a little queasy I'm afraid. It then morphs into a fresher and greener aspect of vetiver with a juicy tartness that I appreciate more. And that's really all I have to say about it. There are so many vetivers out there...

02nd November, 2009