Positive Reviews of Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

Find out more about Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

jtd's avatar
    jtd

I can feel the woody amber with my nose, and there is an acetone, shellac, sour plastic quality that I smell as the volatility of the note pulls it away from me.

And then I don’t really smell anything.

Great name, perplexing olfactory experience. It comes and goes in 5 minutes. A discrete, tidy performance that leaves me in a chin-scratching state.

I feel like I should applaud.

02 November, 2013

Jaakiem's avatar
    Jaakiem

It's all about opoponox

Opposites attract even in perfumes. First time I wore this I thought that this was about balance between vetiver and vanilla. Something to excite you and something to sooth you.

On the second time I didn't notice the vanilla much. I was more thinking about vetiver, or vetivers. It started with some dark vetiver like in Encre noir, but changed gradually to lighter and greener vetiver like in Coeur de Vetiver Sacre.

But even the vetiver made room for the main player here. I didn't recognise it first, because I haven't smelled it in many perfumes. It was like something dusty and sweaty honey. It was smell familiar from Gucci pour homme II. It was opoponax and there was a lot of it. I would guess that Fat electrician is more of a winter fragrance because of it.

Next day all that is left from this perfume is some traces of iso E super on your skin.

In my opinion Fat electrician isn't the best Eldo, but it is very good nevertheless. When many of their best efforts seems to be new interpretations of classic themes, this one is more modern perfume. I could see this one being the most wearable of all Eldos for most younger men.

22 June, 2013

Marais's avatar
    Marais

ELdO's best?

One of the best atypical vetivers available. The usual sharp rootiness of vetiver enjoys an unlikely but successful yin/yang partnership with a sweetish powdery accord provided by vanilla/myrrh/opoponax (but mainly vanilla). A touch of incense combines with the vetiver to create a metallic 'blown fuse' aroma in keeping with the name. Worth a try for lovers of Hermes' Vetiver Tonka (which is too sweet for me), Serge Lutens' Vetiver Oriental and even those who think they don't like vetiver. Wearable in all weathers. Projection is moderate, longevity excellent (10 hours from 5 sprays). The only ELdO scent I have found worth purchasing.

Pros: Unusual, good sillage and longevity
    Cons: none

07 June, 2013

gimmegreen's avatar
    gimmegreen
    Netherlands Netherlands

Burnt electrical wiring at the start (I kid you not) – this has to be one of the more ingenious manipulations of vetiver. Followed by dry, dry, dry resins with little hints of herbal green. The opoponax-myrrh blend here is top class, and there's an almost eucalyptus like note (the olive leaves?) which merges effortlessly. One of ELDO's stronger offerings – but you've got to have a nose for resins to enjoy it. Sadly, the fun lasts for about 3 hours, after which all that's left is a wooden cupboard.

08 May, 2012

housecatmeow's avatar
    housecatmeow

It smells like yoghurt.....

02 March, 2012

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

This is what I call a different take on vetiver. A solid interpretation that is able to emerge in this crowded territory. A fine mixture of opoponax and vetiver laying on a slightly sweet vanilla base and enriched by hints of incense and resinous elements throughout. Easy to wear yet distinctive, simple yet perfectly refined. A nice everyday's fragrance and one of the best releases in the Eldo's range. A valid option if you're looking for a modern masculine but you want to avoid the usual clean-laundered synthetic-citrus loaded with woody maber.

06 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2012)

Harvitz81's avatar
    Harvitz81

Very sharp and pungent vetiver opening. Unlike most vetivers though that accentuate this with citrus notes, I like what ELDO does by complimenting this with vanilla and myrrh accords. After drydown it remains pretty linear vetiver accords with hints of myrrh tickling the nose. A very nice new take on vetiver.

14 June, 2011

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar
    Oh_Hedgehog

The name, Fat Electrician, and accompanying thumbnail image are a stroke of brilliance: between two generous handfuls of voluptuous, oppoponax-creamy flesh runs a thin streak of vetiver. We're used to the sometimes exhausting smut of Etat Libre d'Orange, but here they offer us a reserved, sweet vetiver bearing similarities to Chanel's noble Sycomore – a comparison both surprising and delicious.

ELDO seems to rely on two strategies in general: eat-my-dust innovation (Sécrétions Magnifique, Jasmin et Cigarette) or shameless imitation (Eloge du Traitre is Yatagan reloaded, Je Suis Un Homme takes a stab at Eau Sauvage). Fat Electrician falls into the second category and is a reprise of Molinard's Habanita, but here done so much more convincingly, making Habanita feel like an inept drag queen. This is tenacious, satisfying, and unusually plausible (from this house) as an everyday scent.

13 April, 2011

WildThingy's avatar
    WildThingy
    Cyprus Cyprus

Best vetiver to me. It avoids the one dimensional marine note typical to vetiver in the drydown. In that is is as good as Givenchys Vetyver. But the latter puts to much nuts, milky aldehydes etc in, shifting it to the bold side. The ELdO seems to be light handed, the oppoponax tickles the nose just right. The Fat Electrician rearranges known components of perfumery and achieves a - to me - new effect. I would like it less sweet, though.

06 March, 2011

md1grwl's avatar
    md1grwl

A fragrance that has contrasting parts. A ‘fat’ part, and an ‘electric’ part.

The “Fat” part:
    Vanilla bean, opoponax and myrrh create this. These base and heart notes lend to a warm vanilla like, semi-gourmand sensual feel. I’m reminded of Givenchy Pi here, but I like FE much more. These notes create a comforting, ‘round’ feel (insert ‘fat’). Very wearable and very likeable

The “Electrician” part:
    Vetiver baby! This is the sharper, more rooty aspect of vetiver used. Some say it has a ‘metallic’ (insert ‘electric’) sense to it, but I don’t get that whatsoever. It’s a sharp dry vetiver note to me, and as a vetiver lover, there is nothing off putting about it. I’m also highly, highly reminded of the use of vetiver in The Different Company Sel de Vetiver here. FE has that same, semi salty gauzy accord to it.

The “Fat Electrician” as a whole:
    Overall a very wearable, likeable vetiver/vanilla scent. Its Givenchy Pi with a masculine sharper top. The overall feel is very warm and inviting, without being too ‘gooey’ and over vanilla like which I like (and keeps me away from Givenchy Pi). The salty/dry vetiver creates a very interesting pairing and offsets nicely the warmer opoponax & myrrh. It highly reminds me of Sel de Vetiver which I already own and absolutely love. Its so close I question if its worth owning both… but I’ll probably spoil myself and buy FE too, I like it that much.

If you’re a fan of Sel de Vetiver, definitely give this a testing.

19 October, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 February, 2012)

Gilgamesh2003's avatar
    Gilgamesh2003

Really superb, and more wearable than some of ELdO's more outre offerings. Fat Electrician is basically vetiver and sweet myrrh, which is kind of brilliant since it pairs vetiver's dry, earthy masculinity with the (dry, earthy) feminine sweetness of myrrh. Very sexy and interesting, very high quality ingredients. Check the silly sales narrative that goes along with it (something about a sexually ambiguous electrician from New Jersey) for a laugh. Excellent longevity with demure projection. Bravo!

10th October, 2010

willem7's avatar
    willem7

This Fat Electrician is my new best friend. Seriously good stuff, executed perfectly. One moment it's warm and embracing, next it's cool and rough. Try it: he'll be your new best friend too.

14 April, 2010

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

I have to hand it to Etat Libre d'Orange - their line represents without question a shining beacon of niche perfumery. The whole raison d'etre for niche perfumery should be to provide an alternative to generic, market-research driven and profit-first designer perfume offerings. It feels like a new house pops up weekly, each sporting fancy bottles, high prices, yet totally uninspired fragrances built upon the same aromachemicals that everyone else is using (I'm looking at you "Boadicea the Victorious"). By contrast ELdO fragrances are original from the ground up, they are reasonably priced, and they are among the most creative compositions one can buy. After releasing its original line Etat Libre hasn't come out with too many new scents. The newest, Fat Electrician, carries on the ELdO banner proudly.

There are countless vetivers fragrances available today. What differentiates all these vetivers is the pungency and specific nature of the vetiver note and what the accompanying notes are. There are many excellent modern vetivers (Sycomore, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Givenchy Vetyver, etc.), but let's face it, if you own one vetiver you need not own the others unless the minutiae of vetiver scents is 'your thing'. Leave it to Etat Libre to make a truly different vetiver scent that is perfectly wearable.

Fat Electrician's initial vetiver blast is pungent and slightly sharp, yet not overly salty (i.e. Goutal or LezNez). Unlike vetivers that brighten the earthiness of the vetiver note with citrus or contrast the vetiver with something like tobacco, ELdO goes the route of creamy vanilla. Quickly after application a distinct opoponax note opens up - the vetiver is the most prominent note, but the sweet, woody opoponax is there. After opoponax comes myrrh, a note that is most prominent in the base. Moving parallel to the development of these woody notes is 'the vanilla'. Slowly but surely a background of smooth vanilla becomes more and more prominent, but it never fully overtakes the vetiver note that remains in the foreground throughout the composition. By the time Fat Electrician has settled into its base one smells a melange of vetiver and myrrh on a bed of vanilla (and the vanilla itself is not thin, but very rich and creamy). Besides being unique, it smells just damn good... the base (which is long lasting) is my favorite part of Fat Electrician.

For people about to sample Fat Electrician allow me to warn you that this fragrance operates on a couple levels. Sampling on your arm you will experience something along the lines of what I've described, along with perhaps your own interpretation of notes. The vanilla and background notes seem quite prominent. However when worn on the body, the vetiver note is primarily what you will smell, with the vanilla and woody notes only becoming distinct after a couple hours. Surprisingly the sillage is less robust then most ELdOs, making FE a good choice for situations that call for a more discrete fragrance choice. Longevity is fantastic - once the base settles it will last on the skin for many hours.

Great for vetiver fans - and also great for people looking for an entree to vetiver fragrances.

16 January, 2010

NillaGoon's avatar
    NillaGoon

This doesn't have quite the nuclear vanilla bomb of Bulgari Black, but to me it's definitely a vanilla-dominant fragrance. A bit of smoke, a bit of incense, and of course a long thread of vetiver.

I'm not a big vanilla fan, but I like this anyway. It's dry enough that the vanilla doesn't come off as cloying or overstated. The dovetailing of the vanilla and the vetiver is quite successful, as is the overall composition.

A distinctive and very wearable take on vetiver.

12 January, 2010

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

The next Eldo fragrance has notes of concrete and bumcrack and is named 'Bob the Builder' Yeh , looking forward to that.
    The Fat Electrician comes at you as hard as nails and takes no prisoners with its wood/green/ vetiver blast -- it's tremendous. You think 'this won't last' but the molecules used must be really fat and it goes on for hours until gradually softening to a creamy vetiver note. This is like a supercharged Encre Noire. Daft name -- magnificent piece of work.

25 November, 2009

irish's avatar
    irish
    Mexico Mexico

I am not sure why Vibert says that this is ironic. I am a fat electrician :D, and the combination of opoponax and vetiver reminds me of the smell of that varnish with which the wire of a coil is insulated. All of a sudden I remembered myself opening boxes of PLCs, motors and drives. This is a delicious smell and it has just the right amount of vanillic sweetness (very similar to the one found in Ambre Gris by Balmain) to give it some dimension. As it dries down, the syrupy vanilla vanishes and the incense and vetiver become very dry, which reduces the elegance but increases the seriousness. Perhaps in there you will find the irony. The only problem is that it has no projection or longevity whatsoever.

19 November, 2009

kb2003's avatar
    kb2003

I'm but a budding perfumista myself, so I can't say how Fat Electrician compares to other vetivers, but I can say it's helped me realize that vetiver is among my absolute favorite notes. I really love the smokiness of the opening and on my skin the myrrh/opoponax and that perfectly subtle, mellow, barely-there vanilla harmonize beautifully and temper the vetiver perfectly. I was deciding between this and Rien and am very glad I spent my money on a bottle of Fat Electrician. Sillage is not quite what I was hoping but longevity is excellent.

UPDATE: A few months on, I have now tried a cornucopia of other vetiver frags, and Fat Electrician still ranks at the top (along with Sycomore, Etro Vetiver and Sel de Vetiver).

13 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 March, 2010)

Somerville Metro Man's avatar
    Somerville Metro Man

Etat Libre D'Orange Fat Electrician

The more things I wear from Etat Libre D'Orange the more I realize how much I like the risks the House takes. One of the noses for the House who has regularly seemed to connect with my sensibilities is Antoine Maisondieu. Three of my favorites, Noel au Balcon, Vierges et Toreros and Rossy de Palma, are his compositions. When I heard M. Maisondieu had done a "semi-modern vetiver" for the line I knew the 2009 release Fat Electrician would be interesting, and it is. Fat Electrician has the most in common with Vierges et Toreros of the three scents I mentioned previously. It has a strength around its central note that pushes the envelope. Much like the raw leather accord in Vierges et Toreros the vetiver in Fat Electrician comes off rawer and more unrefined than it does in other scents. I like it because it makes it stand out from those other vetivers that I own. The description that comes in the box claims M. Maisondieu is trying to create a "white, metallic, silver' vibe at the top. I'm not sure I get that, what I get is a raw green, grassy accord with a healthy amount of cigarette. This is carried forward into the heart where the vetiver comes in quite intensely and quite green. The smokiness of the cigarettes combine marvelously with the edgy pungent vetiver. The transition into the base, again, according to the note list is supposed to be a gourmand-like "chestnut creme". I don't get that at all as instead I get a great resinous mix of opoponax and myrrh which really finishes it nicely on me. I think I'm pretty thankful that the gourmand notes don't appear on me as I think I might not like this as well as I do if they were present. Fat Electrician has great longevity and decent sillage. Fat Electrician is different than any of the vetivers I currently own and while I think it is definitely worth a try by any vetiver lover it is not going to be one loved by every one of those vetiver lovers. If you do like your vetiver on the strong side invite a Fat Electrician over you might find him to be more interesting than you might think.

19 September, 2009