Reviews of La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Find out more about La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Chanel1's avatar

My very first sniff told me it was too powdery so I passed, but then I heard enough people recommending it that I gave it a second chance and I like it, very much.

It's sweet and powdery, but there's a cedar-type smell to my nose that is very good and that balances the sweet and powdery. Taken altogether, these notes dance on my skin for hours. Great smell, longevity, and projection. The smell is great for the person wearing it and it's a crowd pleaser, more so than Bleu de Chanel, I have found, because this one is stronger, and the smell is better.

My other YSL is Opium Eau de Parfum, a bottle from around 1998. This La Nuit is a big step up from that, at least compared to that aged juice. The Opium edp is more of a powerhouse, but La Nuit is just right. This, Fahrenheit, and Platinum Egoiste are my favorites so far, with ADG Essenza also getting my attention.

08 October, 2014

Surreal's avatar

Not bad by any mean! its a nice and indeed darker than original which I like more.
    vanilla base notes seem to last longer than originals woods but its sharper on top and heavier.
    Doesnt have a lot in common with original.
    Good fragrance but not for me.

04 October, 2014

Casiquire's avatar

This is a rather feminine fragrance to my nose but that makes it all the more interesting and sensual to be a man wearing it. I guess that's been the trend lately. Anyway the top and middle of this are really amazing, just masculine enough to make the wearer feel sexy. As others have said, the smell is "fresh" enough to be just fine as a daytime smell, despite the advertising. My only criticism of the smell is that as the base notes come out at the end of the day it gets even a bit more feminine, and like some of the Guerlain scents I've used, things start to smell a bit like baby wipes. If just a bit of the top or middle notes would linger as long as the bottom, the smell would really be perfect all the way through. I don't see this as a major flaw, though, because the notes I'm talking about only come out some eight hours after applying, which means the fragrance lasts well over eight hours! I smelled it easily after a ten hour day at work, yet this fragrance is still soft in its own way and doesn't really announce its presence. In my opinion gentleness and longevity are the perfect combination.

10th August, 2014

tbditl's avatar

The scent that started my interest in fragrance! It's light and powdery, yet sophisticated and mature. I don't love it like I once did. I now prefer the EdP though it doesn't seem to last as long. For the perfect layer EdT:EdP 1:2.

27 June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

You’d have to work hard to compose a scent more drab than this. The commonplace lavender and bergamot top notes introduce an undistinguished accord of sweet amber, cedar, cardamom and nutmeg that I honestly would not be able to distinguish from at least a dozen other run-of-the-mill woody oriental masculines.

The scent goes from dull to dreadful in the drydown, which weds coumarin and cedar to a diabolical arrangement of impenetrably dense sweetened amber and grating woody amber aromachemicals. This is the same generic cop-out of a drydown that plagues Guerlain Homme and Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, and it’s no less cheap-smelling and cloying here. It’s also intolerably loud and projects for miles.

Dreck to be avoided at all costs, and a blot on Yves Saint Laurent’s fine fragrance record.

19 June, 2014

Classyscents's avatar

On of my all time favorites. The toilette is good but keep an eye out for the perfume version. Wow. I use to wear this scent all the time to class which looking back on it was genius, it's just so effin sexy! Now a days, I only wear it to go out to the bars on Friday or Saturday nights, even then sometimes I wanna wear something a little more expensive... I'm shallow tho....

This scent is unique and hard to pick out notes in, it becomes one sexy unique cloud. It's dark, maybe peppery? For the price every man should own this, and sometimes walking around the city it feels like every man does. Girls really do love it though so I don't blame them, my girlfriend tells me it's one of her favorites, I think she just remembers college though. Good old days. A classic for me.

20th March, 2014

Sybaris's avatar

Received a sample the other day. The opening was fine, spicy not very remarkable. The middle settled into something warm and fuzzy but also very feminine. I wouldn't even call it unisex. After 3 hours it turned into something stale. I had to put my wrist up to my nose to smell it. Absolutely dismal longevity.

Washed it off

06 February, 2014

btkoten's avatar

La Nuit is an excellent evening wear scent, definitely not recommended for the office unless you're going for "the creeper" look/feel. La Nuit is very strong a spicy in the opening with a hint of nail polish, once the ash has cleared though it is very powdery with sharpness and spice that radiates comfort and warmth. This scent makes me think of a group of 20 to 30 year old men sitting around a local hipster bar / tavern wearing loosened ties and sport jackets, drinking a dark heavy bourbon or Canadian whisky. A very seductive scent that has to be worn in the right setting.

Ironically, a great compliment to La Nuit (in my experience only of course) is Gold Bond powder. It seems to bring out the warmth of the scent and help it to project even better, give it a try.

Excellent projection and average longevity (4-5). A good compliment getter if worn in the right situation.

24 December, 2013

adam.a's avatar

So far the best scent i know! extremely seductive, intoxicating dark, mystical and masculine are some of the words I can describe this jewel. It lasts a long time and projects great and without ever being overpowering. It can be worn in any season and occasion.. but spray lightly on hot summer days. Simply a masterpiece.

19 November, 2013

scentgent's avatar

YSL, this is your attempt at a sick, tasteless joke correct?

Disclaimer: If this works for you, all the more power to you.

Personally, I felt like I sprayed on a pleasantly blended spicy, oriental when I used the tester at Macy's. Perfect timing for this fall/winter fragrance as we now have a cold climate up in minnesota. After spraying the tester, I noticed it was pleasant, but possibly weak. I noted the dry down as I walked around the mall, and noticed it was gone within 3 hours, and just attributed that to the 2 sprays I got.

I tested more at home after I purchased it. Probably 12 sprays and realized with family members that either this was kind of watered down or it was really watered down. Family members actually smelt, in order, the 1. surrounding air. 2. the fragrance bubble I should have. 3. a foot from my application. and then 4. on my skin. At the 4th area the general consensus was "oh, now I smell you. You smell like a watered down 80's powerhouse frag"

At least they verified my suspicions and that I wasn't suffering from olfactory fatigue. It was definitely worse than the tester. And frankly, this was a bad fragrance, at least it was on my skin. I am usually not paranoid about testers being double concentrated or something, but after this experience it was like...that was especially fishy.

Overall, it was a pleasant smell that was practically "on my skin." The fragrance died after about 1-2 hours.

At any rate, if you are inuit maybe I can see you pulling this off in your igloo, with your battery operated humidifier in colder than Hoth temperatures. If you dont get the reference, google image it. In my opinion, I never smelt the fragrance when it was first released in 2009, but what I smelt was insulting.

I wish there was more I could talk directly about the fragrance, but this is so bad, there is nothing else I can talk about. Biggest letdown of any cologne I have had in my arsenal thus far. The english language lacks proper hyperbole to accurately describe how, literally, "soft" this fragrance is.

First fragrance return I have ever made.

Pros: Possibly best spicy oriental "top notes" around
    Cons: Overhyped by basenotes IMO, lacks in projection, longevity, silage, and compliments"

06 October, 2013

SnapDemon's avatar

A more mature scent

I don't think anyone post 90s could rock this.

18 September, 2013

Tony T's avatar

Wiil Be a Staple in my Collection

could be unisex. I am ok with that. this is 1 of the best night scents around. A true classic that every Basenoter should at least sample. Compliments galore!! I can't add 2 much of what has already been stated..

Pros: Long lasting-great smell
    Cons: 8+ sprays is required"

26 August, 2013

Jiggaman6971's avatar

A solid fragrance!!

la nuit de lhomme is a beast!! However 4 sprays will NOT get the job done. So for those that complain about the projection or longevity,,, get like me and spend $100 on the 6.7oz and go nutz on the trigger!!!! At first I had the 1.7oz an only applied 4 sprays. Two neck and each wrist. Smelled great but didnt project and garner the compliments I was looking for. But it was okay bc my fiancé loves it and could easily smell it when she was close to me. Cuddling, hugging etc. But I wanted more. So when it was time to re-up, I purchased the Man size 6.7 bottle!! And the first use I went HAM (hard as a motherf@cker) 12 sprays!! All over my skin and a few on my shirt. And BAM,,,, the compliments started rolling in. The first time was this cute bartender,, Jill. Her exact words from inside the bar (a good 4-6 feet away) were, "omg what kind of cologne are you wearing? (I answered) Wow that smells really good like yummy,, mmmm!" In my head I was like "wow!! She can smell me from that far away?!?"

So,, yeah guys. This is a must have!! Just gotta lay it on thick. Don't worry, it won't be cloying. Especially if its night time winter weather. (I wouldn't wear this in the daytime) Also,, make sure you moisturizer your skin with a unscented lotion or something. You WILL get 2 hours of monster projection, about 2-3 hours of good projection, and the rest will be huggin distance projection. It will be on your shirt the next morning as well. Solid performer!!!

Pros: Affordable, long lasting, chicks dig it!!
    Cons: 10+ sprays to get good projection/longevity"

21st August, 2013

commodity12's avatar

Nice evening scent

I was not so crazy about this scent when I first opened it. The scent when you first spray it is rather harsh and sharp. It dries down nice and it last about 5 to 6 hours on my skin. This is not a scent I recommend for the young crowd. I suggest 25 and up.

Pros: longevity and projection on my skin
    Cons: harsh opening"

02 August, 2013

stefly321's avatar

review by stefly321

Read a review in a magazine when this first came out, about how it was one of the most sensual fragrances ever created (Probably marketing hype). So next time i was out shopping i went and got a spritz of it. I have to say that it smells just like baby talc and its not for me. But if you like smelling like new born babies then give it a try.

27 July, 2013

GianniGG's avatar

Boring lavender

This fragrance is maybe liked by a lot of people but it suffers from a lack of originality.

26 June, 2013

BladeUK's avatar

Nice smell but not long lasting

I got this as everyone has been harping on about it, I live in London and like my scents... but to be honest, I don't find it long lasting at all as a scent, couple of hours and it is gone.

I finished the bottle but I must admit, I got no compliments from wearing this where as I have received many compliments from wearing Davidoff Coolwater, Le Male, A* men, Issey Miyake with Dior Homme Intense being extremely popular with my female colleagues. So much so that my female boss had to keep apologising for complimenting my smell whilst wearing DHI for fear of sexual harassment... But La Nuit? non, zilch. Merde...

I do have mild asthma and I find some scents slightly irritate it and A*men and Le Male definitely fall in that category, possibly Issey Miyake and very slightly Dior Homme. But no problem with Coolwater or La Nuit, part of me wants to try the parfum version to see if theres any difference but a lot of people don't seem to rate the parfum version.

Pros: Nice smell
    Cons: Not long lasting

22 June, 2013

FranktheTank's avatar

AWESOME

My favorite frag, absolutely love the smell and I get great longevity and projection on this one. Girlfriend goes mental for this one, its actually kind of crazy haha. Most female compliments on this fragrance for me.

Pros: Awesome manly smell, babe magnet
    Cons:

15 June, 2013

simg24's avatar

Where's the hype??

This scent smells really nice in the bottle and on paper. After putting this on my skin it immediately loses the cardomom note and gets incredibly sweet into what i can only describe as a very close skinned bubble gum sort of note. For me i get about 1 hour or 2 max of this with barely any projection at any point after the first 15-20 mins of the top notes - mostly until the cardomom dissipates.

The scent is undetectable on my writs after a couple hours with no trace of a scent even sprayed.

Legit bottle confirmed...

Pros: Good opening
    Cons: POOR LONGEVITY, POOR SILLAGE

20th May, 2013

fan.of.devin's avatar

One of the first scents I (blindly) acquired after getting into the fragrance world.
    All of the hype surrounding this one made it seem like a no brainer, and I tried really, really hard to like this one.
    But, alas...

Smells purple, powdery, and very floral... SLIGHTLY spicy, I guess. Why on Earth is this even marketed as a "masculine" scent? It may be a step in that direction from L'Homme, but La Nuit De L'Homme is unisex, at most.

Below average longevity and projection to boot.

14 May, 2013

trapper's avatar

Romania Romania

I was walking through the mall, and upon seeing the fragrance store I thought to myself: "I haven't bought a fragrance in a long time", so I went there, tested the new ones I haven't tried before (I was surprised that they weren't so many) and I came across La Nuit de l'Homme which smelled amazing on paper, then I sprayed on my wrist and smelled amazing on my skin as well.

The ingredients seemed very high quality at least at first sniff, this perfume had a story to tell, had some hidden messages that were yet to be discovered, so I bought it, I went to the counter and there was an offer at a cheaper price to get the same juice 60ml + aftershave balm + shower gel, I couldn't get any happier, 59eur for all that seemed like a good bargain (from a mall at least)

This scent starts with an unique spice and evolves in time and unravels it's seductive beauty, transforming itself into a sweet, a little powdery incense that is going a bit to a feminine side which doesn't bother me.

The aftershave balm goes in different direction than the fragrance, I expected a bigger similarity between the cologne and it, but the aftershave tends to be a little fresher and more subtle, lovely smell nonetheless. The showergell is top notch and makes you feel like you are bathing in a pool of La Nuit de l'Homme, great feeling.

If I didn't have so many memories attached to Body Kouros, I would mark this as the most seductive scent. In a way, I feel like this fragrance lays a foundation for memories, memories when you're experiencing the night, the silence, mystery and wonder, when all your scences get a neural association with the smell of La Nuit de l'Homme.

I have been impressed after a long time, congrats for the perfumers.

Theo.

02 May, 2013

mtheory8's avatar

I put on 2 sprays of this in Sephora over 16 hours ago and its now next day morning and I can stil smell a faint vetiver on my wrist!!!

The scent is gorgeous, very pleasing. Definitely spray on skin. When I sprayed on paper, the cinnamon opening turned me off a little. But I tried it on skin and it smelled totally different. Fantastic all day smell. Don't limit this to the night, everyone needs to smell this. 10/10 for this one.

06 March, 2013

rbaker's avatar

Fresh Bergamot with Vetiver are counterbalanced by cardamom and a mildly spicy note. A synthetic undertone of an aldehydic nature. It does not sound like anything special - and it isn't to me, but it is a bit richer and more interesting than many other contemporary insipid scents. Approximate longevity three hours. Not bad.

12 February, 2013

's avatar

This is the first scent I bought after getting into my fragrance hobby. With that said I have no sentimental value with scent. I even sold my original bottle. However I do like this smell. I am not a huge fan of lavender, but the lavender is not in your face as others I have tried. This is a nice night out scent and a very solid frag.

21st January, 2013

reinhard5490's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

what is a true fragrance to grab "girls attention"? here it is. its sweet spicy in alluring way that exceeds expectations! YSL been long known for the quality of their scent. named Opium, Kouros and others, YSL in short words a guarantee for a luxurious smelling fragrance. No fragrance can be a panty dropper (that name alone makes me giggles) but this one, La Nuit is eye turner, and people will remember the way you smelled

La Nuit is no exception. its true pleaser and true attention seeker. once you get the vibe with your chemistry, you're unstoppable. La Nuit don't turn you into man-whore scent that scream "look at me y'all!" (sorry, 1 Million) but rather into a men of class who dig girls with class, who speak calmly "how about dinner tonight, lads?" with raised eyebrows. this is a unique fragrance that would be able to perform both at clubbing or a dinner without seemed out of place

sillage and longevity still matter of question to me, since I only get moderate results (it's not too bad. I'll wait for it to grow on me later). guys, get this gem quickly!

16 January, 2013

CASUAL's avatar

Smells like a better quality and better version of Dolce & Gabbana's The One for men.

08 January, 2013

ecollins30's avatar

I blind bought Yves Saint Laurent's La Nuit de L'Homme this past week after reading and viewing many positive reviews on it. My goal was to add another going out scent to my arsenal. My current go-to was Thierry Mugler's Pure Malt(which i give 8.5 overall and 8 on longevity). As for my purchase...I couldnt be happier. La Nuit de L'Homme reminds me of a much more wearable, toned down, slight more masculine version of One Million by Paco Rabanne. After smelling this fragrance and buying it at Macy's, I sprayed it once on my neck..while I was on my way home from Macy's on the train, I got complimented by a beautiful woman! So far so good in my book! Overall I give La Nuit de L'Homme a 9.

07 January, 2013

's avatar

This is a very good blend of spices that smells gorgeous. Not too sweet neither too dry, it's very unique and balanced. Definetely a beautiful fragrance that's worth it. Sillage, projection and lasting power are good (8 hours). Thumbs up!

07 January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

When I tested this fragrance first, ohhhh, that good! I had a bottle and enjoy it a lot, but over time I realized it was not as good as I thought from the beginning. It's a pleasant fragrance, dutiful and from my point of view, the most redeemable of the latest releases of the house. The cocoa leaves point to good taste, is sensual and romantic. Despite being called the night man, I find the fragrance fresh enough to be used during the day. Not a bad scent, but I prefer others.

21st December, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2013)

Robzrx7's avatar

This scent is so different from anything I've ever smelled before. Can't really say "oh La Nuit Del Homme smells like...". That alone earns it a lot of points. It very soft and a little sweet. I imagine some women could get away with wearing this one... maybe. On me longevity is good but projection no so much. Don't blind buy I've seen very polarizing opinions on this but I really like it.

05 December, 2012