Reviews of La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I have had this fragrance for quite a while (3 years), I find it quite a subtle fragrance after the initial blast.
The bergamot and cardamon dominated opening lacks another element which could make it more exciting,( a pepper accord, perhaps?). The citrus has all but disappeared within 10 minutes.
Drying down to base of vanilla and wood, it's quite a comforting skin scent not unlike some vintage ladies perfume.
Sadly, on my skin, it doesn't project too well and I can only just smell it half hour later.
I do love the scent but longevity is only moderate. ( in saying that, a friend had just commented on how good the perfume smelt, from 5 meters away, half an hour after wearing it, but I could hardly smell it on myself!)

It's a scent that I would wear to a casual dinner out with friends. Still, a 'good' scent from a great fragrance house that is Yves Saint Laurent, which has produced so many iconic perfumes.
05th September, 2016
I find this scent way overhyped. I cannot comprehend why it is so praised.

It is a well-blended but totally forgettable with nothing better than other perfumes. Also, I was really shocked how weak it is. I can barely smell it on myself (that's why I tried it from 3 different sources). The longevity is ok - circa 6 hours.
21st July, 2016
I have found that most of the masculine perfumes since Jazz are little boring. A sample of this leaves me unimpressed. When they come up with something that blows away the YSL Pour Homme and Kouros, M7 give me a call.
22nd March, 2016 (last edited: 23rd June, 2016)

This gets lots of love in the marketplace and I'm not going to trend outward from that perspective. Love it. Everyone loves it. It's the most noticed scent I own, partially because I wore way too much of it twice almost choking myself out. 4 blasts - upper bare chest, wrists, hair and 2 hours later my buddy's eyes are watering because of YSL LNDL. Thankfully we were only at a Daddy/Daughter dance so the damage was minimal... at best. I only hope my daughter isn't known as the girl whose dad likes to go BD in YSL LNDL, but something tells me YSL hasn't hit the 4-7 age market.

A definite blind buy recommendation since you need to own it, IMHO.
03rd March, 2016
Beautiful, soft, powdery fragrance with prominent notes of Cardamom & Bergamot. The composition is well blended and the perfumers made something special here. This is a masterpiece & will get many compliments, but I have recently learned that La Nuit was reformulated! While the smell is still great, projection & sillage are poor - not near the vintage La Nuit de L'Homme. No one will smell your fragrance after the first hour or so. Good for a date if your significant is going to get real close, but disappointing as it is much too light. The vintage juice is much darker & richer with excellent performance. When I learned that my bottle was not a vintage, I felt as though I got ripped off by YSL! I paid around $50 for the 2oz. I now go heavy on the trigger & apply to my shirt. Another beautiful fragrance ruined by reformulation :(

Note that most retailers, including department stores, are selling the reformulation of YSL La Nuit de L'Homme. If you are interested in the differences please watch a reviewer's video content: "La Nuit de L'Homme: Old vs Reformulated Differences."
29th February, 2016 (last edited: 22nd May, 2016)
Just sublime. My current favourite.

I fell in love with this scent the moment I sampled it. This is like heaven in a bottle.

I find that I have a preference for frags containing cardomom so maybe it has something to do with that. I really struggle to break this one down with notes, it transcends that for me. Just a sweet scent that is rather unique in my book. A versatile offering great for both work and social occassions. The bottle is simple and classy. YSL are certainly one of the better designers out there in terms of perfume which I say having sampled a wide range of their offerings and compared to others.

I get average sillage and longevity, or maybe I just wish it would last forever. I consider this a classic and a must have for any collection.
21st February, 2016
This is a very attractive scent. The notes are beautifully blended and there is nothing anyone could dislike here. Somehow it is still interesting. I have the current formulation which is much derided. It's very disappointing when you buy a fragrance because you love the scent and then read online that your new version "sucks". I find it very hard to judge performance and longevity and projection as I feel I may not be smelling it but it may still be there. Personally, I have always found I stop smelling fragrances on myself after a few minutes unless I bury my nose in my wrist. But I have sometimes received compliments on fragrances long after I was conscious of them. Based purely on scent this is an 8.5/10 for me.
09th January, 2016 (last edited: 14th January, 2016)
Love, Love, Love this scent. I have come to the conclusion that I am a huge fan of spice and Cardamom. This checks all the boxes.
Sophisticated..... Check
Manly............. Check
Longevity......... Check
Great Sillage..... Check
Spicy............. Check
Oriental.......... Check

I did not think in this modern era of girly men's colognes I would find a cologne that did not stink of powder, flowers, fruit or Citrus.

No matter the age this cologne is great!
01st December, 2015
Is the key that opens the doors to time immemorial, to an oriental world. It is a "deep" and fine creation from YSL House.

19th October, 2015
I believed the hype and bought a sample. Needless to say I will be buying a bottle soon as my new signature scent once my Lacoste Essential runs out. Imagine CK one shock with less tobacco.
24th September, 2015 (last edited: 01st October, 2015)
Elegant fragrance from YSL and easily one of their very best. It's a somewhat dark take on the classic L'Homme, with some ginger and cardamom spice. The spice is softened by a floral that provides a sweet accord, but nothing sugary.

Many reviews like Nuit as an evening and fall through winter scent, but IMO it would work in the office easily. Superior quality and longevity. Average sillage. A definite lady pleaser. Highly recommended.
11th August, 2015

Very nice for winter nights and perfect for classic styles.the new version L Homme is seductive,dark and intense it lasts around 8 hours on my skin.

But it is really remember last version then if you already have L Homme this is not a great choise!anyway YSL style is ever for my lovely.

09th June, 2015
Although I feel that this is YSL's top fragrance for men, it is nothing really that special. It opens up with this Spicy/Fresh smell that is not bad, but it doesn't knock me off my feet either. The Spicy-Freshness eventually dries down to a powdery vanilla vibe. Again, not bad, but nothing special. Projection is above average for the first 3-4 hours. Longevity is very good as well, lasting anywhere from 8-10 hours on my skin. This fragrance definitely gives off a "metrosexual" type of vibe, so be sure to TRY before you buy. I have read & seen a lot of "hype" around this fragrance, but it just doesn't do it for me. However, the women I've encountered go "GA GA" over this scent. They really seem to enjoy it. So needless to say the compliment factor is very high. I would recommend this fragrance to someone who wants a "lady killer" cologne
06th June, 2015

La Nuit de l'Homme is emotionally related to me as the beging of my heavy fragrance buying period. It was just fantastic then. So naturally Le Parfum and Frozen Cologne were also added to the family. I still have my original 200ml bottle with half left, not bad 100ml in fice years. But I think it's strange people talking about LNdlH being weak or watered down or whatever in this field. What make me buying it in the first place was the fact that I came home with a papper strip tester, I wasn't very sure of it when I was in the shop, put on my desk in the bedroom and let sit there for about a week wating for the scent finally vanish, which it did after all that time. My bedroom was like a lavender temple and that smell sealed the deal for me, I had to have it. Perhaps I have a lavender nose, and love lavender, and that makes it impossible not to have La Nuit de l'Homme. Because of the lavender. The same happens with Dior Homme Intense, my favourite, my darkest lavender scent, so far.

I am only convinced a scent doesn't last with a papper/tissue test. Skin absorbes everything. Even poison. La Nuit de l'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent is a very powerful scent in all aspects.
16th May, 2015
La nuit de who? This is la nuit de le 12 years old sipping a Diet Coke and smoking puff cigarettes. A disappointing, juvenile and cheap lavender-cardamom-woody-tobacco “club scent” smelling like YSL L’Homme layered with Declaration, Lanvin Avantgarde and/or Armani Code, inexplicably relating “night” with a bright, sweetish, teenish vibe. Lasting like a fart - which is good, though: the barely-perceivable drydown is almost enjoyable. If “ladies love this” then either I don’t understand a thing about women or we agree to disagree on the concept of “ladies”. Meh!

10th May, 2015
I always love cardamom, and i do like the balance of spice and florals in this... Except the lavender which i think is to strong, and adds to a "sporty freshness" here that screams 90's college locker room, not grownup nightlife. At least to me.

I should probably give it another shot sometime given the rave reviews, but even if it's a better fragrance than i give it credit for, it's simply not for me.
02nd April, 2015
SJDG Show all reviews
This one took sone time getting used to but i love it.I purchased a 100ml bottle about 2-3 months ago based off all the positive reviews I've been reading and watching and I didn't like this one at first.The first 30 minutes or so arent pleasant to me at all but the dry down is amazing.I think this would probably be too sweet for me in the summer but i love this as a winter/early spring scent.For thosewho dont like this try L'homme.Thats what made me appreciate La Nuit.I still like L'homme more but La Nuit is a great scent too
25th March, 2015
I find the opening to be somewhat masculine, but the dry down is definitely feminine powder territory to my nose. My untrained nose just gets hammered with artificial/synthetic notes.

La Nuit is a neutral rating that leans heavily thumbs down, because there are a few other scents in my collection that would definitely get the nod for a date night or 'inoffensive work' scent. The heavy powder dry down and synthetic vibe keeps me from enjoying this in any meaningful way.

PROS: projection and longevity
CONS: the (post-opening) scent

Pleasant, inoffensive (if you like powder) and unremarkable. My neutral thumb is in deference to the fans of this scent, but I'd have to say it's a 4.5/10. There are so many better scents for the same price or less.
05th March, 2015 (last edited: 12th March, 2015)
After reading the many positive reviews (and the Basenotes forum where it currently holds number two compliment getter rating) I went to test this today. What a disgusting scent this is! First of all it is very feminine, I am amazed it is marketed as male's fragrance! There's something pungent and overwhelmingly powdery about the scent. What's worse is there's a note that resembles sweat in my opinion. It's almost near the limit of being repulsive. And, as is the case with most scents of this type, it is also very strong and overpowering. Two hours after wearing it, it was still causing me nausea so I couldn't stand it anymore and went to wash it out. It is now probably two hours after I have throughly washed it off and I can still smell it on my wrist... I can't really understand people who think it is weak. I guess those are people with weakened or malfunctioning olfaction which could explain why they like it :) Sorry, couldn't resist the urge to hate... But I am so disappointed. I am glad I didn't purchase it blindly! By the way, my girlfriend said it was just OK but she wouldn't compliment anyone wearing this scent.
31st December, 2014
Porolon Show all reviews
Russian Federation
Another perfume, which marked the fall of the legendary home. Utterly blatantly synthetic chord amber and lavender. Why is this? Better use Guerlain's Habit Rouge.
11th December, 2014
My very first sniff told me it was too powdery so I passed, but then I heard enough people recommending it that I gave it a second chance and I like it, very much.

It's sweet and powdery, but there's a cedar-type smell to my nose that is very good and that balances the sweet and powdery. Taken altogether, these notes dance on my skin for hours. Great smell, longevity, and projection. The smell is great for the person wearing it and it's a crowd pleaser, more so than Bleu de Chanel, I have found, because this one is stronger, and the smell is better.

My other YSL is Opium Eau de Parfum, a bottle from around 1998. This La Nuit is a big step up from that, at least compared to that aged juice. The Opium edp is more of a powerhouse, but La Nuit is just right. This, Fahrenheit, and Platinum Egoiste are my favorites so far, with ADG Essenza also getting my attention.
08th October, 2014
Not bad by any mean! its a nice and indeed darker than original which I like more.
vanilla base notes seem to last longer than originals woods but its sharper on top and heavier.
Doesnt have a lot in common with original.
Good fragrance but not for me.
04th October, 2014
This is a rather feminine fragrance to my nose but that makes it all the more interesting and sensual to be a man wearing it. I guess that's been the trend lately. Anyway the top and middle of this are really amazing, just masculine enough to make the wearer feel sexy. As others have said, the smell is "fresh" enough to be just fine as a daytime smell, despite the advertising. My only criticism of the smell is that as the base notes come out at the end of the day it gets even a bit more feminine, and like some of the Guerlain scents I've used, things start to smell a bit like baby wipes. If just a bit of the top or middle notes would linger as long as the bottom, the smell would really be perfect all the way through. I don't see this as a major flaw, though, because the notes I'm talking about only come out some eight hours after applying, which means the fragrance lasts well over eight hours! I smelled it easily after a ten hour day at work, yet this fragrance is still soft in its own way and doesn't really announce its presence. In my opinion gentleness and longevity are the perfect combination.
10th August, 2014
The scent that started my interest in fragrance! It's light and powdery, yet sophisticated and mature. I don't love it like I once did. I now prefer the EdP though it doesn't seem to last as long. For the perfect layer EdT:EdP 1:2.
27th June, 2014
Genre: Woods

You’d have to work hard to compose a scent more drab than this. The commonplace lavender and bergamot top notes introduce an undistinguished accord of sweet amber, cedar, cardamom and nutmeg that I honestly would not be able to distinguish from at least a dozen other run-of-the-mill woody oriental masculines.

The scent goes from dull to dreadful in the drydown, which weds coumarin and cedar to a diabolical arrangement of impenetrably dense sweetened amber and grating woody amber aromachemicals. This is the same generic cop-out of a drydown that plagues Guerlain Homme and Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, and it’s no less cheap-smelling and cloying here. It’s also intolerably loud and projects for miles.

Dreck to be avoided at all costs, and a blot on Yves Saint Laurent’s fine fragrance record.
19th June, 2014
On of my all time favorites. The toilette is good but keep an eye out for the perfume version. Wow. I use to wear this scent all the time to class which looking back on it was genius, it's just so effin sexy! Now a days, I only wear it to go out to the bars on Friday or Saturday nights, even then sometimes I wanna wear something a little more expensive... I'm shallow tho....

This scent is unique and hard to pick out notes in, it becomes one sexy unique cloud. It's dark, maybe peppery? For the price every man should own this, and sometimes walking around the city it feels like every man does. Girls really do love it though so I don't blame them, my girlfriend tells me it's one of her favorites, I think she just remembers college though. Good old days. A classic for me.
20th March, 2014
Received a sample the other day. The opening was fine, spicy not very remarkable. The middle settled into something warm and fuzzy but also very feminine. I wouldn't even call it unisex. After 3 hours it turned into something stale. I had to put my wrist up to my nose to smell it. Absolutely dismal longevity.

Washed it off
06th February, 2014
La Nuit is an excellent evening wear scent, definitely not recommended for the office unless you're going for "the creeper" look/feel. La Nuit is very strong a spicy in the opening with a hint of nail polish, once the ash has cleared though it is very powdery with sharpness and spice that radiates comfort and warmth. This scent makes me think of a group of 20 to 30 year old men sitting around a local hipster bar / tavern wearing loosened ties and sport jackets, drinking a dark heavy bourbon or Canadian whisky. A very seductive scent that has to be worn in the right setting.

Ironically, a great compliment to La Nuit (in my experience only of course) is Gold Bond powder. It seems to bring out the warmth of the scent and help it to project even better, give it a try.

Excellent projection and average longevity (4-5). A good compliment getter if worn in the right situation.
24th December, 2013
So far the best scent i know! extremely seductive, intoxicating dark, mystical and masculine are some of the words I can describe this jewel. It lasts a long time and projects great and without ever being overpowering. It can be worn in any season and occasion.. but spray lightly on hot summer days. Simply a masterpiece.
19th November, 2013
YSL, this is your attempt at a sick, tasteless joke correct?

Disclaimer: If this works for you, all the more power to you.

Personally, I felt like I sprayed on a pleasantly blended spicy, oriental when I used the tester at Macy's. Perfect timing for this fall/winter fragrance as we now have a cold climate up in minnesota. After spraying the tester, I noticed it was pleasant, but possibly weak. I noted the dry down as I walked around the mall, and noticed it was gone within 3 hours, and just attributed that to the 2 sprays I got.

I tested more at home after I purchased it. Probably 12 sprays and realized with family members that either this was kind of watered down or it was really watered down. Family members actually smelt, in order, the 1. surrounding air. 2. the fragrance bubble I should have. 3. a foot from my application. and then 4. on my skin. At the 4th area the general consensus was "oh, now I smell you. You smell like a watered down 80's powerhouse frag"

At least they verified my suspicions and that I wasn't suffering from olfactory fatigue. It was definitely worse than the tester. And frankly, this was a bad fragrance, at least it was on my skin. I am usually not paranoid about testers being double concentrated or something, but after this experience it was like...that was especially fishy.

Overall, it was a pleasant smell that was practically "on my skin." The fragrance died after about 1-2 hours.

At any rate, if you are inuit maybe I can see you pulling this off in your igloo, with your battery operated humidifier in colder than Hoth temperatures. If you dont get the reference, google image it. In my opinion, I never smelt the fragrance when it was first released in 2009, but what I smelt was insulting.

I wish there was more I could talk directly about the fragrance, but this is so bad, there is nothing else I can talk about. Biggest letdown of any cologne I have had in my arsenal thus far. The english language lacks proper hyperbole to accurately describe how, literally, "soft" this fragrance is.

First fragrance return I have ever made.

Pros: Possibly best spicy oriental "top notes" around
Cons: Overhyped by basenotes IMO, lacks in projection, longevity, silage, and compliments"

06th October, 2013