Negative Reviews of La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Find out more about La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

You’d have to work hard to compose a scent more drab than this. The commonplace lavender and bergamot top notes introduce an undistinguished accord of sweet amber, cedar, cardamom and nutmeg that I honestly would not be able to distinguish from at least a dozen other run-of-the-mill woody oriental masculines.

The scent goes from dull to dreadful in the drydown, which weds coumarin and cedar to a diabolical arrangement of impenetrably dense sweetened amber and grating woody amber aromachemicals. This is the same generic cop-out of a drydown that plagues Guerlain Homme and Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, and it’s no less cheap-smelling and cloying here. It’s also intolerably loud and projects for miles.

Dreck to be avoided at all costs, and a blot on Yves Saint Laurent’s fine fragrance record.

19 June, 2014

Sybaris's avatar

Received a sample the other day. The opening was fine, spicy not very remarkable. The middle settled into something warm and fuzzy but also very feminine. I wouldn't even call it unisex. After 3 hours it turned into something stale. I had to put my wrist up to my nose to smell it. Absolutely dismal longevity.

Washed it off

06 February, 2014

SnapDemon's avatar

A more mature scent

I don't think anyone post 90s could rock this.

18 September, 2013

stefly321's avatar

review by stefly321

Read a review in a magazine when this first came out, about how it was one of the most sensual fragrances ever created (Probably marketing hype). So next time i was out shopping i went and got a spritz of it. I have to say that it smells just like baby talc and its not for me. But if you like smelling like new born babies then give it a try.

27 July, 2013

GianniGG's avatar

Boring lavender

This fragrance is maybe liked by a lot of people but it suffers from a lack of originality.

26 June, 2013

simg24's avatar

Where's the hype??

This scent smells really nice in the bottle and on paper. After putting this on my skin it immediately loses the cardomom note and gets incredibly sweet into what i can only describe as a very close skinned bubble gum sort of note. For me i get about 1 hour or 2 max of this with barely any projection at any point after the first 15-20 mins of the top notes - mostly until the cardomom dissipates.

The scent is undetectable on my writs after a couple hours with no trace of a scent even sprayed.

Legit bottle confirmed...

Pros: Good opening
    Cons: POOR LONGEVITY, POOR SILLAGE

20th May, 2013

fan.of.devin's avatar

One of the first scents I (blindly) acquired after getting into the fragrance world.
    All of the hype surrounding this one made it seem like a no brainer, and I tried really, really hard to like this one.
    But, alas...

Smells purple, powdery, and very floral... SLIGHTLY spicy, I guess. Why on Earth is this even marketed as a "masculine" scent? It may be a step in that direction from L'Homme, but La Nuit De L'Homme is unisex, at most.

Below average longevity and projection to boot.

14 May, 2013

Mapletop's avatar

I am a big fan of YSL scents. I just can't deal with this one. It smells nice for the first few minutes but then drys down to what reminds me of Axe-Dark Temptation.

27 November, 2012

IndianapolisVet's avatar

Two sprays - first, I couldn't smell it, but my wife complained that I smelled "too perfumy". Then, half an hour later, I still couldn't smell it but now it was giving me a headache. So for those who say La Nuit de L'Homme smells like the mall... it makes you feel like you're at the mall too.

06 July, 2012

del's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme, from the bottle, smells brilliant. Its promising scent ends when it is sprayed to my skin -- it smells synthetically green and too herbal for my taste. While others stated that it possesses a romantic and sensual sweetness perfect for night time wearings, on my skin, La Nuit lacks the development I was hoping to experience.

09 March, 2012

BattleShipp's avatar

I really didn't get to experience this fragrance very much, but the opening was enough for me to realize that it isn't for me. Some guys can pull off this type of smell (guessing by how many people gave it a good review), but I can't, it's way too feminine. If you don't like anything that has feminine hints, this isn't for you.

22 December, 2011

Cerel9's avatar

Let me tell you exactly what this smells like: Take mushrooms, make a dessert out of them by sweetening them, and make this a Japanese style of dessert (i.e. not too sweet and with a little bit of asian spice in there). That is exactly what this smells like: ASIAN DESSERT MUSHROOM. I'm giving a thumbs down, though, because who wants to smell like asian dessert mushroom?

14 September, 2011

silentrich's avatar

Have to say this is one of the most over rated fragrances I've come across. I was expecting a seductive fragrance with spices and a quality vanilla at it's base. What I got was very little spice, a big dose of the original L'homme, and a cookie cutter vanilla. I know people really like this, but I can think of quite a few fragrances in the same vein that do a much better job. Even worse is the amount of flankers this line spawns. I knew this line was bad when they made an EdP version of La Nuit which was worse than the EdT. That says a lot.

08 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 January, 2013)

Bartlebooth's avatar

Reviews for fragrances like YSL La Nuit De L’Homme are the most beastly to compose. Any accurate description quickly exhausts the generous supply of synonyms for banality. Anyway, here goes.

La Nuit is fragrant Mogadon, a vista of sweet laden accords completed with an off the peg oriental finish. Although it probably is not aimed at cynical, hoary old men like me, I am still surprised at the rope-a-dope mentality of YSL in creating something as superfluous as this. This beacon of mediocrity will clearly disappear within a short time, and I shall rue the day I wasted many minutes pecking out this eulogy to the useless.

08 September, 2011

robyogi's avatar

I'm running out of words to express disappointment and disgust. Ditto what alfarom and Off-Scenter said. Seems to me to be a fragrance made to impact the balance sheet more than the world of perfumery.

03 June, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Please don't tell me I will ever have to use the phrase "perfumery is dead". But if things keep on going like this I will surely say "Yves Saint Laurent is dead." After seminal and legendary scents like Kouros, Cinema, Opium, Jazz, Paris and Rive Gauche how we can accept a trite fragrance like Le Nuit De L'Homme? And it seems that at the YSL headquarter they weren't happy enough with the standard EDT edition that they launched on the market an EDP intense version. OMG!

Go for any classic from the same house and remember that sometimes the opposite to new it's not old, it's legendary.

11th April, 2011

Castrensis's avatar

Spicy, sickly sweet, synthetic scent.

Bottom line: makes me nauseous. Scrubbed it off with activated charcoal soap but it was so tenacious I had to liberally smear my arm with Arm & Hammer deodorant to mute its overbearing fortissimo.

18 January, 2011

KillerScent's avatar

Is this a fragrance for men? really?
    I find this fragrance too feminine, this could be worn by any woman. Too much floral and sweet .
    I expected something better, I don't know why many YSL men fragrances smell feminine.

18 January, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Synthetic spicy/fluity semi-oriental. A citrusy, really aromatic, spicy beginning preludes to a woody oriental (vanilla, labdanum) blend based on a spicy lavender presence too artificially fruity and sweet for my taste.
    I detect plenty of artificilal cardamom combined with lavender by soon. I dislike it and have tried many many times to explore and appreciate its smell on my skin. In my opinion it's generic in its vetiver/cedarwood "basement", too synthetically sweet and orangy (cinnamon/orange?), fruity (in an almost resinous artificial way) and unclassy. The coumarine/labdanum combo smells un-natural and fruity in a slightly sticky way. I’ll never wear it for my nocturnal battles, madam night requires much more and the stock of my cellar is full of velvety masterpieces ready to snap for clubs as well as dark, raged dogs haunting spiteful speedy cats.

12 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2014)

LiveJazz has given an excellent description of La Nuit de L’Homme: It is YSL L’Homme minus “the classy and understated finesse, plus extra synthetic sweetness.” …I can’t think of any better way to describe this fragrance. This is not a fragrance that I would expect from YSL: It smells like several other synthetically sweet, generic products that have been produced in the past couple of decades by companies of lesser stature than YSL. This is very disappointing.

09 January, 2011

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Even now, almost 24 hours later, my sinus, trachea, and bronchi are suffering, and I'm only allergic to cats (but not siberians, look it up and get you one, I got two) and sucralose. I'm still coughing, no kidding, a day later, after four sprays. And it hit me immediately, at least Black XS takes awhile to make me sick. I tried to get a fair assessment of the smell despite it killing me, and I could make out a sweet, fruity floral top over woodiness, but the overly synthetic nature of it was probably the big deal breaker.

Just bare in mind that even if you like this one the people around you could suffer.
    I will be throwing that sample out posthaste so there are no accidental sprays.

22 July, 2010

LiveJazz's avatar

It's basically the original minus the classy and understated finesse, plus extra synthetic sweetness. Fans of Givenchy Play might like it.

08 November, 2009

pinkfizzy's avatar

The Night of the Man? Huh? I liked the original L'Homme, my roommate wore it and I was always stealing spritzes. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, just a good, well-crafted thing, citrussy and herby like many others of its time. Le Nuit de L'Homme doesn't have much in common with it, and the silly name doesn't go with it because there's nothing dark about it. To my taste, it's too sweet, the spices are too cloying and fake, and just all around bland and flat. But that guy in the ads, I'll give him a thumbs up.

15 September, 2009

Agent Zero's avatar

The sickly cousin of Armani Code

When YSL released L'Homme, many of us here were disappointed because it lacked the typical cunning of previous YSL fragrances. However, it still managed to smell good and it's one of those scents that can be worn for pretty much any occasion. But La Nuit? It's mainstream pseudo-oriental synthetic floral at its worst. One spray on my wrist and it almost instantly became oppressively cloying, easily overpowering the Terre d'Hermes I was already wearing (no small task!). The fragrance that came to mind as the closest match to this was Armani Code, only with the citrus (the opening of Code always gave me that Orange Glo vibe) toned down and the florals amped up, only where Code stays dignified and reserved throughout the life of the scent, La Nuit became annoying and overbearing. I'll pass on this one.

02 August, 2009

Kaern's avatar

L'Homme was uninspired and dull and now an even more soporific flanker comes along. Top notes of bergamot and lavender, then cardamom and cedar finishing with a horribly sweet amber, van .....zzzzzzzz. If I've smelt this combination and the way it is blended once ......... you know the ending. What makes it worse, is that it is very loud and vulgar. Discussions on this fragrance at YSL must have solely centred on how much money they can pull in, you know -- generic = popular = sales. This house is going downhill fast.

05 May, 2009