Neutral Reviews of La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Find out more about La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

BladeUK's avatar

Nice smell but not long lasting

I got this as everyone has been harping on about it, I live in London and like my scents... but to be honest, I don't find it long lasting at all as a scent, couple of hours and it is gone.

I finished the bottle but I must admit, I got no compliments from wearing this where as I have received many compliments from wearing Davidoff Coolwater, Le Male, A* men, Issey Miyake with Dior Homme Intense being extremely popular with my female colleagues. So much so that my female boss had to keep apologising for complimenting my smell whilst wearing DHI for fear of sexual harassment... But La Nuit? non, zilch. Merde...

I do have mild asthma and I find some scents slightly irritate it and A*men and Le Male definitely fall in that category, possibly Issey Miyake and very slightly Dior Homme. But no problem with Coolwater or La Nuit, part of me wants to try the parfum version to see if theres any difference but a lot of people don't seem to rate the parfum version.

Pros: Nice smell
    Cons: Not long lasting

22 June, 2013

rbaker's avatar

Fresh Bergamot with Vetiver are counterbalanced by cardamom and a mildly spicy note. A synthetic undertone of an aldehydic nature. It does not sound like anything special - and it isn't to me, but it is a bit richer and more interesting than many other contemporary insipid scents. Approximate longevity three hours. Not bad.

12 February, 2013

reinhard5490's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

what is a true fragrance to grab "girls attention"? here it is. its sweet spicy in alluring way that exceeds expectations! YSL been long known for the quality of their scent. named Opium, Kouros and others, YSL in short words a guarantee for a luxurious smelling fragrance. No fragrance can be a panty dropper (that name alone makes me giggles) but this one, La Nuit is eye turner, and people will remember the way you smelled

La Nuit is no exception. its true pleaser and true attention seeker. once you get the vibe with your chemistry, you're unstoppable. La Nuit don't turn you into man-whore scent that scream "look at me y'all!" (sorry, 1 Million) but rather into a men of class who dig girls with class, who speak calmly "how about dinner tonight, lads?" with raised eyebrows. this is a unique fragrance that would be able to perform both at clubbing or a dinner without seemed out of place

sillage and longevity still matter of question to me, since I only get moderate results (it's not too bad. I'll wait for it to grow on me later). guys, get this gem quickly!

16 January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

When I tested this fragrance first, ohhhh, that good! I had a bottle and enjoy it a lot, but over time I realized it was not as good as I thought from the beginning. It's a pleasant fragrance, dutiful and from my point of view, the most redeemable of the latest releases of the house. The cocoa leaves point to good taste, is sensual and romantic. Despite being called the night man, I find the fragrance fresh enough to be used during the day. Not a bad scent, but I prefer others.

21st December, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2013)

sjg3839's avatar

Smells just like L'Homme IMO. Just a tad sweeter. If you have L'Homme, it doesn't make any sense to get this one.

14 September, 2012

's avatar

Comfortable, sweet, handsome.

Nothing revolutionary, but still solid.

05 September, 2012

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

To MY nose, this seems to be a good-quality fragrance, despite the fact it came from the same house that created that abomination, Kouros. And with that being said, it seems 2-dimensional to me, missing something, maybe TOP notes. Yes, that's it: it seems as if it is created entirely of middle and base notes. Maybe a good mandarin note would fix that.

13 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2013)

Possum-Pie's avatar

Nothing really wrong with it, but it is too sweet for me. The vanilla and spices came through strong, and it was generic smelling. I couldn't find anything unique about it, and forgot what it smelled like 2 min. after I tried it on. I will stick to L Homme Libre...

08 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2013)

tacos's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

My girlfriend loves this on me. She bought it for me and also said she will buy it again when I will run out of it. The point is that this will probably not happen in a long time. For a house that came up with M7, Opium pour Homme, Body Kouros and so on this is very disappointing...It just seems that this is a very lineair flagrance that was put together without any effort. This could just as well be a very cheap body deodorant that was put in a expensive looking bottle.

07 April, 2012

tom_julio's avatar

I gave this fragrance a neutral rating simply because I dont know if I like it or not. My initial reaction was baby powder but as this dries down it becomes more tolerable. Good longevity too

01st February, 2012

nikitary's avatar

This was one more frag which I really tried to like. It smelled of cardamon and floral-like, gourmand accords on the top notes. But very unfortunately, two or three hours later I can hardly smell it on my wrist to be able to describe it. The lack of longevity is a deal breaker for me

09 January, 2012

supernaan's avatar

Meh. Just smells a bit gingerish and a bit sweet to me. Nice fragrance but not really for me. Would definitely suit those lotharios out there.

18 December, 2011

dollars&scents's avatar

La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent - One is initially exposed to the flowery orange of bergamot accompanied by the dusty cinnamon of cardamom. Attracted by faint lavender, this inviting couple shuffles to the waiting middle. The minty, herbal lavender with its inherent vanilla and the sharp conifer of the virginia cedar subsume the feeble opening, and concoct a powdery, smoky woodiness, with vaulting sweetness, as it flows to the expectant base. Here, at the simmering base, the green and earthy vetiver combines with the hefty vanilla and pine of coumarin, as well as a touch of anise from caraway, to form a saccharine drydown. Teetering on the feminine side, this humdrum composition is a fall/winter scent, and has average projection and good longevity.

13 December, 2011

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is a really pleasant fragrance folks.
    The opening is great mixture of fresh bergamot and strong ginger notes and some sweetness in the background that may give you almost green apple vibe!
    Very yummy scent!
    It's fresh, but at the same time spicy and sweet.
    As time goes by, the bergamot smell started to decay and lavender is the replacement for it, with more sweetness and a bitter ginger scent mixing with them.
    It's quite pleasant and there is nothing harsh or bad about it.
    On my skin, this fragrance doesn't have strong projection and longevity. but it's above average.
    Really good juice with so elegant and sensual smell and really good quality.

29 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st June, 2014)

orangefiction's avatar

Powdery and smokey notes over the original l'homme base can come off as having a perfumey smell. Projects like a beast. I much prefer the original fresh and clean l'homme. If you want powdery done right I would go with l'instant instead of this one.

25 September, 2011

LushLife's avatar

Smells like rootbeer to me. Projects like crazy. Has a synthetic tinge to it that can cause headaches. But when applied sparingly actually smells quite nice. Safe - yes. Edgy, daring, or high-quality? - No.

18 May, 2011

Swanky's avatar

I was all set to add to the hate. In fact, I purchased a small bottle some time ago and had put it in my "to get rid of" line. At first wearing it seemed generic and dull as many others have noted. I decided to go back and wear each of the "losers" once more before I jettisoned them.

Wearing La Nuit once again, I was confronted at the top with the same sense of disappointment. The first hour or so is not well-constructed. The notes are incongruous and clashing - cheap woods and cheap sweetness. Yes, this one is a loser...but then, the drydown came.

As I've mentioned in other reviews, heavy sweetness of the vanilla/amber variety is generally a no-no for me. I either smell like a cupcake (Royal Secret for Men) or a blondie (Pour Un Homme). Lazy, uncreative perfume lines lean on the Mrs. Fields ingredient list too often these days.

Surprised, then, was I when the sweetness of La Nuit was not cloying. There was enough wood and spice to temper the sugar. It even began to smell pleasant and improved as the day (or La Nuit) went on with 12-plus hours of longevity. One of the main issues with high-volume vanilla sweetness is that it smells cheap. Somehow, I find La Nuit de L'Homme to avoid this and to smell more like Musc Ravageur or Lonestar Memories than Vanilla Fields. I still can't say I love this or even like it especially, but it's not as horrible as some are making it. I suspect that many Musc Ravageur lovers scoff at this. They shouldn't.

06 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th August, 2011)

pigasus27's avatar

Obnoxiously sexy. It conjures up images of the cliched lounge lizard: He's collecting myriad phone numbers on drink napkins at a trendy club. I'm sure his shirt is unbuttoned one button too many and perhaps a little chest hair is peaking though. Banal, but pleasant.

13 March, 2011

MOONB's avatar

La Nuit is basically the original L'Homme, this time with brown sugar-encrusted ginger dialed up to 11. Most of the exact same components are in place. I'm not really sure how this translates to a "night" fragrance, but apparently YSL decided that clubbers have a sweet tooth. As it ages on skin, the ginger recedes, leaving a cooler rendition of the original in place. It's okay I guess, but why bother? If you like the original L'Homme, owning this is redundant.

20th February, 2011

IMightBeWrong's avatar

Tried this one 2 days in a row and I really wanted to like it, but it just doesn't do anything for me. It's got a sweetness to it with a hint of spice, but the spice fades away and you're left with something simple and comparable to Armani Diamonds in my opinion. It just doesn't seem to catch anybody's attention, even my own when I'm wearing it. On the plus side, the scent has decent longevity, but it doesn't have anything to make it stand out.

23 March, 2010

lunoar's avatar

A nice enough smell but not very distinctive.
    I get a sort of gingery/spice citrus at the start which gives way to amber/hint of vanilla base.

15 March, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

A hint of florals, edged with cardamom against some very synthetic cedar, layered over sweet mildly peppery coumarin. Dilute this blend a hundred-fold and there you have it - LA NUIT DE L'HOMME. Arguably a worthy flanker for it continues the snooze-fest that the original started, but IMO a source of embarassment for a proud house like YSL.

03 February, 2010

ortho123's avatar

La Nuit De L'Homme is not the night shift of L'Homme but actually just 2 hours of overtime. Frankly, there are better options in Coty (Stetson Black). People speak about the "unavailability" of YSL scents these days in stores, and this one like the need to bathe in it L'Homme is a scents that flirts with unavailability even while you are wearing it. More like shadows really, the time of day not clear: here comes cedar to the rescue. Really, can't really bash it, Le Neutral De L'Homme...

21st July, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

I don't remember the original all hat much aside from the fact I liked the bittersweet tonka bean. This seems to have a similar top but the base is cedarwoods and a woody grass. The cardamom sticks around for a while giving Nuit a darker overtone but towards the drydown everything lightens up with cedarwoods dominating. No bad. A little too subtle for that "night Out" kinda thing. F pour Homme Black, which is somewhat similar, does a "night out style flanker to the original" thing much better taking the original and making it the same but darker and giving it a passionate zing. La Nuit does not totally fail since it's not a bad scent (since I like cedar) but it falls a little short coming in fifth place in a ten racer race.

15 June, 2009

Francois Blais's avatar

Reminds me of Pi fraicheur.
    Not bad, but nothing new under the sun...

11th June, 2009

Ericks's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

I'm a fan of YSL's L'Homme so it was obvious that I'd gave this one a try. At first I didn't like it. The opening note resembles L'Homme but it's even more spicy. Soon it becomes rather strong on the vanilla. My girlfriend adores it so what the heck, I bought the 60 ml bottle. It's great in the evening or on cool/cold days. It certainly lasts longer than L'Homme but still not more than about 4 hours (unless you spray lavishly but which makes it too sweet). It's OK but L'Homme is still my favorite.

18 April, 2009

Fantastic_Creep's avatar

The Bloomies SA and I agreed that this is a virtual quotation of Chanel Allure Homme. Allure may very well be my favorite fragrance of all time; therefore, it is worth further examination. In blind side by side testing, my somewhat brutish nose could not distinguish between the two on cards. An extended wearing may reveal the distinction, but I must admit to being shocked at the profound similarity. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

29 March, 2009