Negative Reviews of Oud 27 by Le Labo

Find out more about Oud 27 by Le Labo in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

surge's avatar

Awful stuff...prob. the worst oud based fragrance I've ever tried.
    It's not the oud in this I have a problem with, it's everything else...it's just really, really sour and fecal smelling stuff. The oud is kind of in the background in the whole thing and the opening is very overpowering.
    Knock out stuff -- def. do NOT blind buy this or any le labo.

13 May, 2012

Flaconneur's avatar

Oud 27

Take a truck load of 200 year old shellacked furniture and set it in the sun for 100 years. Now move it into a barn perviously occupied by farm animals. Close the door to the bar and leave the shellacked furniture in the barn for 100 more years. Voilà! Oud 27

04 January, 2011

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

I just received the 4 ml sample I ordered of this in the mail and I think that djolney hit the nail on the head in his review. The oud and saffron mix are very prominent in the opening and the combination is a little odd, overwhelming and medicinal. Maybe I haven't had enough experience with oud, except with Montale's Aoud Roses Petals. In ARP the oud, while odd and strange, is absolutely gorgeous. But Oud 27 smells very weird and synthetic for me at the beginning. 15 minutes later you can detect soft woods, but then the scent suddenly disappears. I was very disappointed as I expected Oud 27 to be as rich and lasting as Patchouli 24. It isn't. This really needs to be sampled before you purchase a full bottle.

02 November, 2009

djolney's avatar

This is odd stuff.

The opening is strange and sickly. It is as if the aoud and saffron have brought the worst out in each other. I like to wear aoud, and I like saffron and aoud together when Montale does it, but something is sickly rather than medicinal here.

The incense is neither the intense kind found in a fragrance like Tauer Incense Rose, nor the soft unlit kind like in Montale Louban: it is hollow and becomes lost under the wood.

The dry down is so soft that there is nothing to speak of.

28 July, 2009