Reviews of L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme / Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

Have you ever wanted to smell like an old powdery grandma that's been baking a chocolate cake? If so then this fragrance is for you.

Absolutely horrible, extremely feminine, and one of the worst fragrances I've ever tried.
05th March, 2017
ION-ONE Show all reviews
Didn't think I had much to add to the overwhelming positive reception of this Basenotes Favourite. However. If you are glossing over reviews or taking forum advice you might erroneously come to believe you're dealing with a cartoonish (Terry's) chocolate-orange gourmandish fragrance. That common narrative does an injustice to the fragrance.

The first point to stress is that this is a CHALLENGING fragrance. Its not necessarily going to solicit compliments. You may need a certain amount of 'don't-giving-a-crap' to carry it off. This challenging aspect has a lot to do with the strong anise twist that is present from the start, and kind of dirty dry-down. It comes off at-least as challenging as many niche releases, Le Labos, L'Artisans etc. If this great scent is too challenging just drop the extreme and go with regular LIDG.

The Extreme kind of starts its journey where regular LIDG ends. A very brief opening is green and vaguely citrus. This fresh green foliage is quickly joined by patchouli and anise which dominates in the heat. I believe the powdery patchouli combined with grape-fruit type sharp-green citrus is what tricks peoples noses into 'reading' a quality raw cacao type dustiness. At this stage the fragrance is quite formal and mature.

Into the midsection. The green citrus has inevitably gone whilst the patchouli and anise burn strong. This is where the fragrance earns its 'extreme' tag. Its seems to intensify with time and with body heat. A little dirty vanilla begins to appear adding to a boozy-gourmand quality. No obvious woods or florals - although there could be a bit of Iris in the mix.

Fast forward to the dry down - and it's a long unfolding journey. We have the dirtied vanilla, slightly sweet tonka and persistent powdery patchouli. I guess this is a derivation of the famed Guerlainade accord (I get something similar from Heritage). Its a classy well-rounded end-point to the journey.

Overall - a challenge, but stick with it. its worth the wait when in clicks. Not the most versatile fragrance, but something this unique and creative seldom is! Truly deserving its extreme tag, and may leave you feeling like you've had too much of a good thing - can easily be detected on clothing the morning after.
30th December, 2016 (last edited: 02nd January, 2017)
I really wanted to like this fragrance. Alas, it was just not for me.
23rd December, 2016

A warm, comforting and sweet fragrance

This is one of my all time favorite designer fragrances.sweet, warm, elegant combination of cacao, star anise and patchouli with just a hint of citrus. this is one of the fragrances that feels subtle when first applied then it intensifies with time before dying down in 12+ hours. it has good projection.
highly recommended

9.0/10
10th November, 2016
Over promoted in my opinion. Before you buy this try it on your skin and not a test strip. The "dirty" orange thing is true, upon initial contact. Give this some time to dry down and it gets better. Forget all the talk about formulations- it is what it is. Simple as that. This one I hope gets better in time, for it's the least worn in my collection. I had such high hopes after all those glowing reviews about LIDGE. Nothing more than hype.
12th October, 2016
LIDGE is pretty much the same as LIDG except for slightly toned-down citrus and the Guerlainade is amped up a bit. Great as an alternative to LIDG in the colder months.

25th August, 2016
I gave L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme a thumbs up, but this Extreme version, now Eau de Parfum, is too much for my tastes. The longevity is outstanding, eclipsing the 24-hour mark, but that is part of the problem, it is too tenacious.
03rd July, 2016 (last edited: 08th August, 2016)
Vintage (dark-rimmed) version:

A superb, shining, multifaceted, elegant, cultured masterpiece of modern perfumery.

LIDGE is noticeably oily when applied, which I consider to be a good thing.

A fragrance of real quality from Guerlain. Truly excellent.

Edit: If I were to pick at one thing with this fragrance it would be that the patchouli is slightly heavier than I would wish. I've found it harder to deal with over time. I can't recall, it being a long while since I tried it, but maybe the EDT is more forgiving in this respect.

04th April, 2016 (last edited: 04th December, 2016)
Wow, outstanding performance with LIDGE! Just kept projecting all day/night/next morning. Very refined, special scent. This one even won a "smell-off" with the wife vs. 3 others on my arms. I don't remember what the other competitors were, but I was surprised this came out the winner. Good for special events with friends family, office. Strong enough for clubbing, but isn't overly sweet like most.
20th January, 2016
L’Instant pour Homme by Guerlain is one of my favourite fragrances ever, and together with Dior Homme and a very limited few others, surely well represents the highest peak of recent contemporary perfumery for me (any perfumery, niche included). That kind of perfection which would make any flanker of it smell fantastic as wel, obviously provided the bone-structure remains the same. And in fact, this Extreme version is just as great as the original, to any extent. I neglected this for long thinking that it was only a more concentrated version of the original L’Instant, but now that I tried it, I realised it’s more than that (I know I’m ridicolously late on the party... better late than never, right?). It’s 95% L’Instant with the brightness knob turned down a little bit, and a 5% of anisic-cocoa boost. So it smells kind of darker, rounder, also woodier (especially on sandalwood) and a tad sweeter, shortly a bit more gourmand-ish than the original version, with a sort of younger feel all over. And it also feels bolder and understandably more powerful on skin. Sweeter and more powerful – now I see why this seems more popular among younger fans, if compared to classic L’Instant with its slightly more mature, musky, ephemeral and distinguished green-citrus vibe. But for once, dudes and bros are nailing it – this is some phenomenal scent as well. Different enough from classic L’Instant not to be redundant, great enough to make you want to own both. Brilliant.

8,5-9/10
15th January, 2016
This is simply one of the most finely executed fragrances in the world. True class in a bottle. Top ten of all time, and most certainly two big thumbs up!
17th December, 2015
After trying the original yesterday, L'Instant de Guerlain Eau Extreme had high expectations due to both the quality of the original and the existing hype for the Extreme flanker in particular.

The opening involves slightly more citrus than the rest of its life but LIDGE dries down in to the base very quickly.

The cocoa aspect is strong throughout its life but the cocoa is certainly blended interestingly with some other elements---the patchouli in the base, for one. It's also powdery, so that should be a fair warning to those (like me) that find powdery fragrances more difficult stomach. However, the cocoa counteracts the powdery aspects very well.

I actually don't detect as much anise in LIDGE as in LIDG due to the cocoa covering it up, I suspect, but anise is again a listed note.

Overall, a very pleasant gourmand that, while I can see turning plenty of people away, is sensibly a crowd-pleaser due to the heavy use of cocoa. At $43 for 75ml on fragrancenet, it's quite affordable, as well.

7 out of 10
18th November, 2015
Call me philistine but I don't get this.
It smells predominantly of cocoa and I don't understand why I should want to smell of a sweet powdery foodstuff.

In the development of the human palate, taste starts with easy - the sweet tooth of a child, and graduates to an adult's appreciation of the challenging bitter and sour notes - remember the first time you drank beer or coffee and how wretched it was?

This feels like a regression back to perfume infancy.

A pleasant, milk chocolate confection with nothing grown up to say, its the guy equivalent of the pink fruity floral.

Classy bottle though.

29th September, 2015

Admittedly this made me feel nauseous when I first sprayed it - I was used to much less robust scents and oversprayed.
This scent is huge and fat and rich. On my skin the opening seems to be a bitter mix, lasting a few seconds before becoming a rich, earthy, dark chocolate scent.
Tired of perfume that only lasts a few hours? Try this, the longevity is outstanding.
Great scent, highly recommended.
23rd August, 2015
Salutation.

If ladies,as per the classic ads for feminine L'INSTANT,are addicted to GUERLAIN,gentleman needed the counterbalancing fragrance to make them as appetising and irresistible to the other sex as the female version did to the ladies.L'INSTANT GUERLAIN PH EDT/EDP both are an unforgettable masterpiece.a truly great men's fragrance with an impeccable reputation.this EDP is one of those extremely sexy scents,that makes a man irresistible. Deep,Classy, Special,Sweet,Sophisticated,Luxurious,Timeless, Rich,Gentlemanlike and Very GUERLAIN.

A unique blend of yummy accords like cacao,citruses and star anise with sensual luxurious woods and rich spices present an distinctive and impressive scent that is for the man who is looking for a great long lasting scent for a night on the town or a hot date.this EDP is sensual and romantic at the same time and it will generate compliments from the opposite sex.i compare the smell to a WINTER night mixed with romantic bliss which would make any lady mesmerize.totally a true head turner,will solicit compliments,if you are so inclined.ladies just love it!

Sillage?Superb.

Longevity?Lasts and lasts.

7.75/10
13th June, 2015
Not much more I can add to the sentiments of former reviewers. This juice is simply magnificent and alluring, my go to fragrance for dates or close encounters. Romantic, rich and extrordinarily well-balanced, you'll be blown away by L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme. Projects like a beast and lasts all night and well into the next morning; 5 stars all day, every day.
10th May, 2015
Simply incredible. Easily in the top 5 fragrances out there at the moment.

Enough has been said about this one, it surely is a masterpiece. What I find important to mention is that LIDGE is really NOT a pleasant-to-everybody scent. It sounds cheesy, but you need to be a man with monster self-confidence to pull this off. I read comments how nice, warm and inviting it smells and that it doesn't offend anyone. I'm telling you, it's not. Never wear this in the office, at family dinners or when you go out shopping. It's too elegant, too sexy and more importantly, too strong for these type of situations.

It lasts and projects like a beast and in my experience, many will find it overbearing (especially if oversprayed). So go easy on the trigger and wear it to special occasions only.

Pros: smells just incredible and lasts forever
Cons: lasts forever (never thought I'd say this is also a con, but easy 12 hours on my dry skin is simply too much)

I can't understand the negative reviews here and on Youtube. Yes, it's not one that everyone gets down with, but nobody can deny its quality, originality and elegance. There's just no way this could get a negative or neutral rating.
11th October, 2014
This is the first time I will admit that, a flanker is better than the original!

This version is deeper, richer, and more intoxicating. I can't stop smelling my wrist when I try it out! I get the resins, anise and hibiscus, and jasmine and patchoulli. Followed by a strong base of rich, dark bitter cacao. It's wonderful to smell, very addictive!

I'm a huge Guerlain fan and I love the house very much. L'Instant pour Homme is definitely an interesting one. There is a lot going on and it does smell extremely nice, almost intoxicating.

Describing this one is interesting... It is supposedly inspired by the food of North Africa and the Middle East, with the honeyed, caramel chocolate and the strong anise liqueur vibe, hibiscus flower, and strong tea aroma. It is definitely interesting. As always I do love the 'Guerlainade' (Guerlain's signature) dry-down of Rose, Jasmine, Orris Root, Tonka Bean and Resins. It's still very appealing and I certainly give Guerlain the credit for it.

The quality is fantastic here and I love what the late Béatrice Piquet has done with this creation(it won an international award after all!). I read that she tried to evoke an impression of 'cold light' or 'luminescence', and I totally get that from the combination of bright citrus and the creamy sandalwood/cocoa. I do both appreciate and understand the concept, and respect her for doing that. I also really think this could almost be like a modern, updated 'Habit Rouge' for the 21st Century, as I definitely think it pays homage to that creation. I must also say that I really enjoy the bottle, with it's Art Deco style. Very nice touch.

Overall, although I highly commend Guerlain for this interesting creation... I actually like this Eau de Parfum version much more than the EDT. I believe that everything Guerlain does is both enjoyable and exquisite!
02nd July, 2014
The opening gives out a totally excellent semi-resinous accord. The spruce’s super-resin and the rich star anise platform are tamed considerably by the citrus notes resulting in this ingenious grouping that is rife with richness, resinousness, and delicacy all in one accord. …Totally, totally excellent.

The heartnotes present a smooth full-bodied mixed accord different in substance from the opening because all resinousness is gone and the platform note has become a patchouli / jasmine platform cut and lightened a bit by the neroli note and given a broader diversity by the piney-smoky Lapsang tea note. The smoky tea note at this point is another stroke of genius. The heart of the fragrance is not quite as dramatic as the opening but that is not really the job of heartnotes: Heartnotes are meant for medium lasting power, and drama seldom lasts in a fragrance. This middle accord is what it should be: rich, broad, and wonderfully long lasting. Excellent.

To my nose, the base operates on a platform of patchouli and sandalwood with sporadic hits of deep, dark cocoa and spicy hibiscus seed. I’m not sure that I get the cedar note that is supposed to be there. The base platform is not as rich as the heart accord, but the occasional appearances of cocoa enriches it and the hibiscus provides an occasional spicy variation.

There’s no doubt in my mind that this is a great fragrance. It is creative, full, rich, and has occasional bursts of compelling diversity. Its performance on my skin is stellar. It is an easy fragrance to “get right.” But I probably won’t buy it because I find it quite similar to the not-Extreme version. True, the opening of Extreme contains a much broader, fuller, richer, more resinous accord, but I find the remainder similar to the original although in a much less concrete form. If I were now making the decision of which one to buy, I would definitely chose Extreme, but the original is excellent, I wear it often. I would purchase Extreme if it were readily available, but at the prices being asked added to the difficulty in finding it, I’m pleased to stay with my original L’Instant…
09th February, 2014
A groundbreaking fragrance by Guerlain.
This scent belongs to the gourmand group of fragrances, one that is becoming increasingly popular in our times.
It opens with a refreshing blast of orange/citrus notes and settles down to a chocolate desert-like scent. Or should I say flavour? Think of a popular chocolate-orange snack and you won't be far off what this smells like. There's a bit of jasmine and patchouli hidden in there which just makes it that extra bit more special than other gourmands out there.
Of course, you don't have to be a chocaholic to appreciate this one, but it is a sweet scent nonetheless.
09th January, 2014
Outstanding. If Pierre Marcolini did fragrances...
14th December, 2013
Perfect two

After having the edt learned that edp is also produced. Was searching for that as the edt is great. Now as i do have also edp iam very happy one. They are relatives no question but edp is more chocolate like great and having incredible longevity on me. So pleased with them both. edt, edp. recommended not for all (i want to keep those all to me :-)

Pros: Very nice chocolate like dry down extra longevity.
Cons:

04th August, 2013
High-End Art in a Bottle

Being a big fan of L'Instant de Guerlain, I decided to do a blind buy of the Eau Extreme. Let me say that I have absolutely no buyer's regret!

The EDP is warm, sensuous, mature, and inviting. It's a decadent dessert in an upscale restaurant. Like the call of the Sirens in the Odyssey, its scent is impossible to ignore. It is captivating. It is a masterpiece.

Pros: Superb fragrance, wonderful longevity
Cons: It's not free"

29th July, 2013
Gary F Show all reviews
Nice, but I Prefer the EDT

Tried a sample of this after all of the love given to it on this site and others. I had much the same reaction to this as I did to DHI - nice, but not worth a whole bottle. I tried the EDT version of this and it contained all of the elements of the EDP, but added a wonderful crisp burst of citrus that I love. I really missed that element here.

Pros: Wonderfully Layered
Cons: Lacks the Crispness of the EDT

20th June, 2013
Tony T Show all reviews
more gourmand than the original and more longevity. a definate winner. not an everyday scent but for when you really want to make a statement. the cocoa and patchouli notes blend together like jordan and pippen to make a great combination. also it's longer lasting and i believe every man should at least sample it. oncemy decant is gone i will spring for the large bottle!!
11th May, 2013
" this perfume is not for clubbing guys who looks for girls. its intended for guys who want to make a statement to the people near him "...

what a brilliant way of putting it. I feel exactly the same. When I first caught a smell of this, I asked the man what he was wearing, because the "statement" of the scent is : " I am not a usual scent, I smell of yearning, not possession...I smell of chasing something worth having, not for me fickleness or settling for anything...I smell of discretion, not desperation, and I am not bitter, nor am loud and sickly and cloying...I am a the memory of a Priest, before he took his vows, the smell of a good man you can trust, I won't let you down, won't promise what I can't deliver, won't seduce you into thinking I am sweet and innocent , when I am not. I'll add more later, as it comes along, this will do for now...how strange, to be able to create a scent which conveys longing, and not achievement of that longing ? Is this alchemy...? I don't know, but this scent is an elixir for the soul..a journey, not a destination...a glimpse of something missing, not a greedy needy stare...how clever, Guerlain...
15th April, 2013
Green notes (mostly patch) covered in dry cacao powder. Dry as f**k in the opening and throughout. If it wasn't for the green notes (that I personally dislike in every fragrance) it would have been a winner in my book. The cacao powder note is done just beautifully. It feels cold in a weird but totally comfortable way. I'm not getting any sweetness what so ever from this, which also is something negative to me since I love sweet fragrances. It basically smells like cacao found in a forest. Perfectly suitable for men over 30! :)

The projection is really good for the first couple of hours before it slowly draws it self back to the skin. Longevity however is superb! 12+ hours easily.

You can tell by the smell that this is quality juice, it's just not for me. And for all of those that classify this as a gourmand... I personally don't think it is. Sure, it smells like cacao, but that's it. And the comparison between this and DHI is beyond me! They're nothing alike what so ever.

With that said, I give it a neutral rating. Excellent projection and longevity, mature smelling, natural smelling, gorgeous bottle, and it's a quality fragrance overall that I always will respect. It's pretty cheap for what is it IMO (around 75$), but it's just not for me. :)
10th April, 2013
Impressive stuff!
Rich and complex in emotions, yet surprisingly easy to like. Classy and sexy, dignified and hippy-indulgent, all at the same time.
To me this is a match made in heaven between the smoothest, driest cacao note and an exquisite, absolutely golden patchouli. this can be worn pretty much all year long, except maybe in the peak heat of summer. I love it on a warm beautiful spring day.
31st March, 2013
At first, when I tried this, I thought I got a bad sample, then I tried it again from another sample and it was the same thing. I know how people say "wait for the dry down, it's amazing!", one can only wait so long. While the dry down is decent, it's not "amazing", and the opening is horrid.

I am not here to knock it, or to disrespect Guerlain, they have made some masterpieces. For me, the opening of the fragrance is just as important as the dry down. If the opening flops, and the dry down is good, it gets a neutral rating; if the opening is good and the dry down sucks, it may get a neutral rating; if the whole fragrance is good, and it has good longevity, projection, and sometimes versatility, it's a sure thumbs up. But, if the opening smells like farts and Dorito's, and the dry down smells like cocoa, that's been sitting in grandma's purse for a few years, then it's a no go with me.

The combination of notes are odd, but I won't like, they are quite smooth, nothing is really off balance, nothing is sharp, nothing too spicy, or too sweet. But, the overall general aroma's just smell bad to me. In the opening, the combination of anise and citrus smells like nacho flavored chips, or somebody who's been eating fast food and farting profusely. Maybe it's this "elemi" note that I have never heard of. The patchouli has a strong presence behind these notes, keeping it more interesting; but, if ya know me, ya know I don't much care for patchouli. For me, it takes a good hour before this fart smell goes away, and I am left with a semi sweet cocoa note, surrounded by what smells like iris, jasmine, tea, and woods, notably sandalwood. The final dry down consists of pretty much patchouli, bitter cocoa and sandalwood, which is my favorite part, but, it sits so close to the skin and is so faint at this point. I can get that combination in Dior homme Intense, and not have to sit through hours of torture.

I'm sorry, but I'll have to go against the grain on this one, LIDGE is pretty disgusting to me. Its only redeeming quality is the final dry down, we're talking 4 hours later. It lasts a good 10+ hours on me. Projection is pretty strong in opening, if ya wanna smell like an old bucket of fried chicken. Check this one out, if you want the people around you to think you've been rolling around in old soggy french fries and crushed up Dorito's. Nah I am just playing on that, that's just me though. To each their own!
27th March, 2013
if there were a two thumbs up rating, this fragrance would definitely get that. one of my favorites. bought it blind based on the reviews and i do not regret it one single bit. a few weeks later i bought a back up bottle (my first one ever) because i love it so much. i always told myself that there are so many fragrances out there and there is no need for any back ups, but this one changed my mind. i never want to be without this.
11th March, 2013