Reviews of Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Find out more about Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

This scent’s cool, bracing conifer resin opening is deep and rounded enough to avoid smelling like a room air freshener, which is always a danger when dealing with fir and pine notes. In any case, a rich smelling frankincense descends so quickly upon the pine needle blanket that there's no chance for this composition to smell cheap.

The conifer, frankincense and spice mélange at Fille en Aiguilles' heart calls to mind Comme des Garçons' Zagorsk, but the Lutens scent is much warmer and sweeter, set as it rests upon a candied fruit and cedar foundation not far removed from Feminité du Bois or even Arabie. Indeed, once the bracing conifer needle accord dissipates, what remains of Fille en Aiguilles smells a touch disappointing in its familiarity - a kind of "standard issue" Sheldrake-Lutens drydown accord. Even so, the surprising juxtaposition of warm/sweet and icy/crisp at Fille en Aiguilles' core makes it one of the more enjoyable among the recent Serge Lutens releases.

14 June, 2014

nogame's avatar

Turkey Turkey

%50 The first landing too hard; Has a very complex structure. It's so many of spices to choose from and even hard to distinguish what is. I'm getting incense and ginger. But a little cinnamon and other spices are pushing her too crushing. I mix it up until now I smell a fragrance blend of spices. Sandalwood and bile or both. Resinous smell of pine cones to make itself felt as a slight burn. As the last notes of clove smell still continues to burn correctly. And not according to me this is quite a heavy perfume. Harass anyone beside me smelling odor. Hani was a kid that looks like sugar cubes had shades of red candies. 'd Suck them but sugar and spice, cinnamon would taste. This perfume smells like their work. Towards the end, I could get a little cedar. Like anyone in such a manner that this perfume not alone.

Notes:
    Top: Fruits, Spices.
    Heart: Mediterranean laurel, pine needle.
    Base: Vetiver, Incense.

**********************************************************************

%50 Ilk acilis cok sert; Cok karmasIk bir yapisi var. O kadar coklar ki, baharatlarin ne oldugunu ayirmak ve secmek bile zor. Tutsu ve zencefil aliyorum. Biraz tarcin ama diger baharatlar onu cok eziyor ve bastiriyorlar. Ben simdiye dek bu kadar karisIk baharat harmanli bir koku daha koklamadim. Sandal agaci ve od ya da her ikisi birden. Recinemsi cam kozalagi kokusu hafif yanik olarak kendini hissettiriyor. Son notalarina dogru yanik karanfil gibi bir koku hala devam ediyor. Oldukca agir bir parfum bu ve bana gore degil. Yanimda koklayan herkesi bezdirdi kokusu. Hani kucukken kup sekere benzeyen kirmizi tonlarinda sekerler vardi. Emerdik onlari ama seker ve baharat, tarcin tadi gelirdi. Bu parfum de iste bunlar gibi kokuyor. Sonlara dogru biraz sedir de alabildim. Bu parfum kimsenin begenecegi tarzda degil yalniz.

Notalar:
    Ust: Meyve, Baharatlar.
    Kalp: Akdeniz defnesi, Igneli cam.
    Baz: Vetiver, Tutsu.

27 April, 2014

I don’t get very much sweet in the opening, I get medium-impact pine and vetiver accord with an caramel-like sweetness in the background taking the place of what would ordinarily be a deep, shadowy resin note – the scent itself at first seems a bit uninspired but it has a rather interesting interchange of relationships – there’s more depth to it than there is surface. Relatively soon the pine/vetiver couples with an incense persona, but not a typical incense note – it’s an incense a bit heavy on density but low on resinousness. Smelling close to the skin, this entry into the heart notes could stand to be a little more interesting, but away from the skin it projects an excellent sillage that is sweeter than I expected the sillage to be… the projection effect is quite enjoyable, rich, and impressive and for the first time it crosses my mind that this could very well become my next purchase. Unlike most of the other reviewers, I don’t experience a firm, relatively-sweet note because wood notes normally dominate over the other notes in an accord for me.

The woods and frankincense accord lightens up in the basenotes: I get a stronger proportion of candied fruit and spice in the base, and this lightening up is a timely change and delightful movement from the density and drama of the frankincense. The base is quite Serge Lutens but at a lesser intensity and with the same stellar longevity… I love the duration and intensity that it presents and I find the entire fragrance well-proportioned, elegant, wearable, and warming. Fille en Aiguilles iis a for-sure purchase for me.

11th March, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

It's time to write about this amazing juice.
    A masterpiece, created by a man who knows exactly what to do as a perfumer and an artist.
    The opening of this fragrance is a great combination of spices, woods, resins and a warm sweet smell.
    The resinous smell is stunning and remind me of a special resin that I was chewing it like a bubble gum back in time, when I was a kid. because the taste of it was amazing.
    This fragrance has that slightly bitter resinous smell beside some woods and a beautiful black pepper note.
    There is a strong, yet delightful amount of sweetness that balance all those spicy, woody and resinous notes very well.
    As time goes by and in the dry down, the sweetness and peppery smell settled down and that beautiful and natural resinous smell and woods amped up and at the same time incense kicked in.
    It's like the smell a bonfire middle of an old pine forest.
    Smoky, pine woody, resinous, natural and in one word, amazing.
    In the base I've got a semi sweet and smooth resinous woody scent with some spice and some dried fruits as a supporting notes to make the scent more complex.
    Projection is OK (above average) and longevity is around 6-7 hours on my skin.
    One of the crown jewels in my collection.

30th January, 2014

michailG's avatar

Put simply: a beautiful coniferous perfume! I am not a big fun of pine or pine needles but this one is a must try for perfume lovers. Fantastic depth, warmth, silage and longevity.

20th January, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Weirdly enough, the start smells really close to Lutens' "Five o'clock au gingembre". Same kind of crisp, smoky and somehow fruity/syrupy uplifting blend. However then it takes a total different path, sticking to its name - this means, an actual refreshing smell of pines and resins. Not a stunning fragrance to me, but still much good - much "Lutensian" (and that is why I blind bought this). A tad sticky after a while - the balsamic pine side crosses the line a bit.

08 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 27 April, 2014)

's avatar

Very exceptionally promising but ends up too smokey for my liking

After the first few minutes of wearing this scent I fell it really captivated me but after an hour I feel its too smokey on my skin and wished it retained more fresh pine.

Pros: pine sweet candy
    Cons: too smokey for my taste"

05 October, 2013

jtd's avatar

memory

I’m from a small town in Connecticut near Hartford, the state capitol. Not, Suburban-New-York-Connecticut. New-England-Connecticut. I can’t remember when I learned the word suburb, but I never heard it applied to us. We were a town. Had been since the mid 1600s.

In my 1960s-1970s, the New England countryside was a place of wonder and democracy. Untended land, parcels of remaining forest I suppose, were easy to find and were Just There. The woods. We’d play capture the flag in the woods, hang-out in the woods, run in the woods, go sledding and cross-country skiing in the woods. The woods were a frame of mind as much as they were a location.

Though I never thought of anything local as particularly exotic, pine was the scent of local magic. Pine was the scent of outdoors and the change of seasons. It was omnipresent and always welcome. The only exotic ‘environmental’ aroma I knew otherwise was frankincense from the Catholic church I attended. I loved it and considered it very specific and significant. It was both familiar and foreign to me. It came off as a very special sort of pine.

Pine connects me to the woods, and Fille en Aiguilles is bittersweet for me. It is 30% sense memory and 70% longing.

I now live in Southern California in a climate that I struggle with every day for nine months out of the year. A climate that is almost universally loved, but is unbearable to me and anathema to my pale Celtic body and spirit, a reality that is inexplicable to those around me. Fille doesn't offer me a solution to my dilemma. It doesn't give me relief from the heat or an alternative to the deathly brightness. It triggers memory, remembrance, beauty from an an arcadian past. It reminds me of the magic. And if there's magic, there's hope.

But mostly there's just longing.

from scent hurdle.com

24 September, 2013

lousif's avatar

Fantastic safe for work fragrance.

Beautiful smokey. piney, incense, combination. Deep and and full bodied. As other have said, think Christmas at a cabin in the woods. The smell is so rich it almost makes me drunk wearing. Decent projection but wont get you in-trouble with your co-workers. Longevity is so-so, which a little disappointing for a fragrance at this price level, but still well worth it.

I got a great deal on this at Amazon. I was apprehensive about ordering an expensive fragrance online, especially one that is as discounted as this ($92.59). I decided to go for it because this is sold and shipped from Amazon. I happy I did. The bottle arrived and it is the real deal.

Now on to the fragrance. Beautiful smokey. piney, incense, combination. Deep and and full bodied. Think Christmas at a cabin in the woods. Decent projection but wont get you in-trouble with your co-workers. Longevity is so-so, which a little disappointing for a fragrance at this price level, but still well worth it.

Pros: Safe for work, intoxicating scent.
    Cons: So-so longevity "

18 September, 2013

Delicious Scent's avatar

Pine Needles with Vetiver and Resin in the background

It opens with an intense smell of pine needles, with vetiver and resin hiding in the background. This in itself is evocative of pine trees in winter, so it makes sense when people mention that this scent is great in winter. I personally find this scent is perfect in summer with the cooling camphorous effect of it, something along the lines of menthol or vicks vapor rub.

Filles definitely provides an interesting dynamic of eliciting memories of winter, yet being suitable physically for summer.

Now the bad thing is the longevity is only about 4 hours on me, with projection only lasting about 2 hours and then the scent becomes a skin scent. The basenotes are also meh.

Pros: Sharp, Cooling, Wearable in summer
    Cons: Projection 2 hours, then a skin scent. 4 hours longevity"

14 September, 2013

rbaker's avatar

Incence and Pine - are Divine

The top note is wonderfully spicy with, on my skin, a distinct clove impression. The we are heading for the forest full of pines, rich and intensive. Vetiver gives a touch of brightness, and a light fruity background in the drydown is still rounded of by the spicy incense. This s delicious and very beautifully bended. Excellent silage and projection with a longevity of over seven hours. One of my top SLs.

11th August, 2013

flathorn's avatar

The sweet Lutens are mostly problematic for me. His non-sweet ones I generally adore. Fille en Aiguilles inhabits an in-between space, and my reaction to it started out somewhat ambivalent. But, as a whole, I like it, and am liking it more and more. It has a coniferous, wooded, dry candied fruit, dark homeyness I find unique and attractive.
    I was looking for that fragrance which reminds me of the home in woods I grew up in - the wood stove smells, foods cooking in the kitchen, doing school studies by lanterns in the winter, a dark but warm ambiance. While this one is a little too christmas-candied-fruit for that memory, it still carries with it a certain complex, dark warmth that strikes a chord and appeals to me.
    It ends up being the most comforting of the Lutens I've tried. Many conifer fragrances have a more limited palette, focusing on the big conifer bang. FEA is fairly understated about that, and lets the notes waft around and play with each other, giving the others their space and place. I like that. As I said, the candied fruit really doesn't fill any memory requirements, and remains a non-resonating note for me. But I find the fragrance as a whole warmly dark, inviting, and complex.

24 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 05 December, 2013)

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Lovely fir and sweet balsemic fragrance. It's not dry or overly woody but it has a nice sweetness to it, like candied winterfruits and maybe a hint of nutmeg and other winterspices. As if you have been hidden awake in a winter cabin for a weekend and cuddled up to a fir tree and got covered in the tree scent and then made a christmas pudding.

13 November, 2012

's avatar

I did expect more from Serge Lutens. This aint complex as Arabie, neither innovative as Ambre Sultan. For me it's just a spicied and incensed pine smell with low projection and weak lasting power.

29 October, 2012

giuspa's avatar

not an easy EdT. But charming, attractive, dark and deep, but not sober. At once strong echoes of burnt pinewood mixed with some caramel aroma, but not in a mawkish way. The drydown is longlasting, the piney notes remain still strong and mixed with incense and a warm spicy base reminding rhubarb aroma. I think it's neither for everyday nor for office, but it's excellent to feel it on during a sunday walk in a sharp and frosty morning of january.

08 September, 2012

eyefeelgood's avatar

For the Holiday Season, this is my scent. It is very special to me for that few weeks a year. I just feel Christmas trees and stockings over the hearth, Nat King Cole singing and big snow and egg nog and oooh-somebody feels cozy... I reach for a good book. SL Filles en Aiguilles.

29 May, 2012

drseid's avatar

While there are better scents from the house, I did indeed enjoy sampling Fille en Aiguilles from Serge Lutens. It starts off with a nice coniferous pine note mixed with semi-sweet candied fruit. The pine quickly recedes and the fruit remains, mixing with bay leaf and other spices along with incense. The candied fruit starts to turn almost caramelized, resembling wet tobacco leaf. That is how the scent remains for the duration to my nose... Dark, semi-sweet and incense. It is a nice accord when you combine the notes but nothing I would go out of my way to seek out. Longevity and sillage are both average. I'll give it a recommended 3.5/5 stars.

08 April, 2012

drakecito's avatar

Spain Spain

A masterpiece.

It's a true and natural Pine scent.Very nice.
    Lasts about 4 hours on my skin and this is average for me but the smell..... lovely...

07 April, 2012

manicboy's avatar

Lutens goes on a camping trip to the great north! Maybe not but he's certainly captured the campfire with FeA. Warm pine and balsam notes waft over a burning, smokey incense with dried berries in the distant tent. My favorite Lutens by far and finally, a really diverse and creative scent that doesn't smell like a Turkish spice market. A grown up, niche version of Ralph Lauren's Polo? Maybe. If only I could enjoy the rest of Luten's fragrance line. But as it stands, FeA is the only one for me.

13 February, 2012

dollars&scents's avatar

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens - One is initially slapped with an invigorating jolt of outdoorsy pine, quite reminiscent of an old forest with its omnipresent pine tar, pine sap and pine needles, concomitant with a hint of terpentine. A syrupy, sweetish butterscotch undertone presents. Segueing to the awaiting middle, this half-heartedly bracing opening is enhanced by the addition of holiday spices, with musty clove, warm cinnamon bark and slightly minty laurel, as well as a sprinkling of evocative frankincense with its sweetly citric nuances. This rapturous mix floats to the waiting, robust base. Honeyed fruits, remindful of a holiday confection, fir balsam, with its balsamic, Christmas tree character, as well as vetiver, with its smoky green earthiness commingle to create a festively delightful drydown. This captivating fragrance is made for the fall and winter, and is a skin scent with average longevity.

05 February, 2012

Oproust's avatar

Fille en Aiguilles opens with a dark, rich burst of frankincense and spices. FeA is somewhat similar to Fou D' Absinthe in the opening, but I smell more pine in FD'A right out of the bottle. The balsam fir note in FeA also appears shortly after application but becomes less noticeable after about ten minutes. Overall, I find FeA to be outstanding. It reminds me of time spent hiking through the Northwoods of my youth, before heading back to the cabin when it is fully decked out for Christmas, fire blazing in the wood stove. I get a winter holiday vibe with Fille en Aiguilles.

I find FeA to be more masculine than feminine. I just don't smell the "Girl in the Needles" in this fragrance. osMoz also suggests that Fille en Aiguilles means "Girl in High Heels". Again, I don't "get" the pun, but I don't think Serge Lutens is really aiming for a "serious" name. What they have achieved with Fille en Aiguilles is a rich, resinous oriental that creates a sense of place, a place that I don't mind hanging around in for a day or two every once in a while.

03 December, 2011

Kaern's avatar

A rich, resinous mixture of pine, frankincense, amber and to my mind, mulled wine. Lasts for ever it seems and is a 'go to' fragrance for the coming winter.

Stop Press:
    Dolce and Gabbana have released a select range of fragrances under the 'Velvet' banner. Three for men and three for women. The mens are predictably, woods, patchouli and vetiver, which all have the prefix of 'velvet'. They are all pretty good, but the top and heart of the Vetiver is outstanding -- a creamy, nutty take on vetiver, which is gorgeous. The drydown doesn't match up though being reminiscent of the rather cloying Pasha by Cartier. Worth checking out though, even at £120 for 50ml.

There is a new flanker to A-Men, which is a limited edition. The concept is to add 'tastes' to the original so the new one, which is red peppers, will be replaced by another soon. The red peppers work particularly well though, giving the original a real kick. I think it's great and relatively cheap.

Due to EU regulations concerning allergens, Creed have had to discontinue 'Vetiver', which is a shame -- I could have swallowed it being the 'Original' version that got bumped.

07 November, 2011

tymanski's avatar

i'm weirding myself (and my wife) out with how much i love this juice. pine and frankincense that just stays warm & cozy on my skin. NO perfume has had me sniffing myself as much :/ uplifting, entertaining and energizing, redolent of mediterranean pine forests, resiny incense and some xmas confection. this is my fourth lutens and now, my fave (sorry chergui & sarrasins!)

28 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st October, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

I completely agree with Diamondflame, Fille en Aiguilles is the warmer, more approachable and less sophisticated sister of the spiritual and drier Serge Noir. This fragrance turns out as a resinous blend of camphoraceous resins of mountain, pine needles, incense, mild woods and syrupy burnt sugar combined with some dried tasty wild berries, benzoin and amber. The note of vetiver and some spices enhance the rooty dark touch in order to balance the syrupy temperament of some elements. The combination of pine, camphor, frankincense and dried fruits turns it out very similar to Wazamba by Parfum d'Empire which is a bit dustier (more incense and labdanum) than the Lutens's one. The mellifluence despite being important is controlled and the fragrance itself is very delicious, woodsy, just an hint smoky and dark. Is like smelling the exhalations of a fruity burning forest. Linked with woods and greens i smell jam of red-purple fruits, some dropes of liquor cream and an hint of tobacco. A not particularly bold or distinguished this one is anyway  in my opinion a very captivating and evocative fragrance. The sillage seems to be weaker than usual for a Lutens's fragrance.

19 September, 2011

alfarom's avatar

Fille En Aiguilles strikes at full blast with a resinous pine/burnt sugar accord that's dark, extremely deep and charming. Frankincense plays an incredibly relevant role adding warmness and mistery and bringing this composition to a breand new level that's nowhere close to the room-freshener type of fragrance. Spices and a remarkable candied fruit note add the final touch with detailed refinements while sweetness is handled to never become cloying or overwhelming.

Overall I can say that Fille En Aiguilles is a Lutens composition by all means (bold, sweet, powerful, rich) but unlike many fragrances by the Sheldrake/Lutens duo it settles as one of the most balanced and misterious of the whole range. As usual with this house, be careful with dosage. A personal favourite.

16 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 August, 2011)

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Sharp coniferous note at the top fades quickly to make some room for a warm, tasty accord which basically smells like a combination of dried fruit and warm bread to my nose. That evergreen's still there, but not in a very prominent fashion.

To my nose, dry-down goes subtle, pure dry woodsy vetiver with hints of caramel apples, pencil shavings and incense.
    Not nearly as room-spray-ish as you might think.

In my opinion works at it's best on clothing, and belive it or not, sprayed on hair.

23 March, 2011

hedonist222's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

I got the pine and sap for then first 2 hours, then it was boringly candied fruits and spices ( cinnamon and cloves) .I would have preferred a woody dry down.

21st October, 2010

angelica's avatar

In the same way that Tubereuse Criminelle creates an impression of the actual smell of tuberose absolute, weird camphor note and all, this creates an impression of the actual smell of frankincense tears when you burn them. This is what I've always wanted an incense fragrance to smell like - straight-up frankincense - rather than some nag champa incense stick. A dream come true for me!

04 June, 2010

Sugandaraja's avatar

The top notes are extravagantly sweet - a blast of pine and burnt sugar, with a distinct spicy edge that transforms the woody, edgy note of pine into something both heady and distinctly edible.

It's not at all what I've come to expect from a pine fragrance, and a welcome change from the somewhat more astringent interpretations I've experienced in the past.

For the first few hours, this fragrance remains much the same, with a slight increase in the syrup over the sap somewhere through the heart, but deeper into the drydown the sugar beats a hasty retreat and Fille becomes something softer. Suddenly, we're in territory closer to Arabie, and the base is a familiarly Lutenesque mix of dried fruit and incense-tinged amber overlaid with a drier pine-needle note than Fille started with.

This is the first pine I've really been drawn to, and plan to own a full bottle at some point in the near future.

02 April, 2010

SirSlarty's avatar

This starts sugary and piney. Very piney. Then dries smoke-like into pines. It went on for a good 4 hours. Not what I expect from a Serge Lutens that are usually so aggressive, thick and never-ending. Yes it was sweet. Yes it was spicy but... I liked this at first sniff but the second sniff wasn't even there so...

22 January, 2010