Reviews of Power by 50 Cent

Find out more about Power by 50 Cent in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

conkhi's avatar

clean and vibrant yet soothing

very close to varvatos artisan black...nice and balmy and refreshing...clean...I am not a fan of 50 cent but this is decent for $12.99 for a large bottle....bottle is nice as well..

Pros: bright and refreshing
    Cons: longevity isnt super"

27 July, 2013

Johnnyforrd's avatar

Not outstanding or groundbreaking, but a decent green mossy kind of fragrance.

22 April, 2013

studer's avatar

I have to admit I enjoy lots of varieties of colognes, but this is absolute trash to me. Theres a reason this can be found for dirt cheap in many department stores, its because this stuff is not good. May i add this is my opinion sorry im sure there are people that may like it. To me this stuff smells like a cheap lotion with a bad scent. I got the cologne/aftershave kit and its on my swap list. I have only sprayed the cologne for about 3 sprays if anyone wants it i will trade the set for just about anything.

12 August, 2012

hickorysmoke's avatar

Found the 3.4 bottle at the discount store for 12.99 and gave it a try. Good purchase for the $. People have compared it to Paco Rabanne Black XS, but haven't tried that one. I can say, IMO, it smells like a tame version of Tommy Bahama Very Cool. Probably from the lemon I get that and the woods.

For the price it' a good buy, but after wearing for a few days I only get about 3 hours on this one, which is a bummer.

31st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 01st August, 2012)

sentyc's avatar

I don't see why there are so many neg. reviews on here!

I just blind bought this cologne and I think it smells wonderful. It has good projection on me as well!

19 June, 2012

k_man's avatar

i bought this on a blind buy and I was disappointed at first but then it got into my nose.
    Nice price. it won't b liked by every 1 ..
    First few days i didn't liked ..now i just love it.

29 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 May, 2012)

The_Cologneist's avatar

Power is a bit of an oddball. It is sporty, yet sweet, spicy, woodsy, and fruity. Sort of in the same realm as Polo Explorer, only where Explorer brings the pine note too far to the front; Power seems to keep those powerful outdoorsy aromas in the background. Longevity and projection are both awesome, but this is definitely an acquired taste.

11th August, 2011

Chasing the Dragon's avatar

Nice enough, but could've been SO much better. I'll give 50 Cent credit for trying something different in the designer market, but if he had taken the extra risk and tweaked it just a bit more by adding, say, a petrol note (such as that of Fahrenheit), this scent could've been stellar. Instead, it's a fairly ho hum, somewhat generic mall scent. Different, but not all that interesting.

12 June, 2011

dracdoc's avatar

I think its pretty decent, not bad, not great. smells like lemons at first, turns into bell peppers and ends with a spicy, grassy green scent.

18 March, 2011

Swanky's avatar

Power? This should have been called "Insipid." Comprises a very weak, 45-second long lemon note and the generic male perfume note du jour, violet leaf, which in this case smells almost like bell pepper. Boring, boring, boring. This is the type of drivel that gives celebrity scents their mediocre reputation.

Get Grey Flannel for a less expensive and better violet-woody fragrance. If you want a high quality designer version, try Cartier's Eau De Cartier.

05 February, 2011

Calamus2K's avatar

Dreadful! Positively dreadful!! I wouldn't even use it to chase away the vermin because having the vermin would be preferrable to the stench this putrid swill would leave behind.

10th December, 2010

Nevena's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

It's nicer than expected. A green, arid, soapy, mossy scent. It's vibrant and young, yet classy. I do not detect artificial sweetness, just a hint of berries. So dry, green and not animalic, would be perfect for summer. I think its true beauty develops in the hot. Very classy bottle.

01st October, 2010

Tony T's avatar

very peppery and a bit floral. a good first try imo. too bad he's not relevant to the rap scene or this would be a top seller!!!

24 May, 2010

's avatar

I was incredibly fortunate to have received an early preview of this scent from African American, 'Rap' music superstar, 50 Cent.

However, I felt culturally at a disadvantage to review my sample of this scent sans perspective, as I possess an admittedly noblesse oblige (and thus potentially too forgiving) lens!

Therefore, I called my friend, 'Snoop Dogg', a cultivated 'perfumisto' (I doubt this fact surprises anyone who has poured over the lyrics of 'Sensual Seduction', with its Machiavellian overtones.); thankfully, he had a truly probing and sociologically-sensitive take! I have transcribed our conversation 'verbatim', in the first instance. And below that, I have also provided a 'de-shizzolated' (plain speak) version, for those of you unfamiliar with his 'lyrical stylings'.

Snoop: I be all in da bafroom waxin my shizzle fo i back playin in da shee-eets. All smoking in bed, baby and back to slee-eep. Wat da f%#@ you need?!

Me: I am super sorry, Mr. Snoop. I was "freaking" (I am marginally versed in Ebonics. ) about Fih-ty's new fragrance, 'Power'...Can you shed some light? Put me on track?

Snoop: F&%$ dat SH&%@!! Go all up in Dre! Dogg seductin, freak!

Me: I am sorry, Sir..ahem...Sire, is that *good*? An endorsement? Sorry, Sire.

Snoop: Yeah, you betta 'Sire' Dogg, white-girl.. wif yo liddel a*% booty:
    Dat mutha*&%$@ got no Street Cred.
    DAT JUCE DA FAKE ASS SHIZZLE (quite irate) BICH DIDDY MAKIN'!!! STANK LIKE DA BOO-TAY JIZZLE!
    Da Dogg, he wear da fo-da-reel *Shizzle* (mellower now). Dogg kno da juice. HAW-ston (sic), Zee da Fohtee... makes all da ho-nee come ta mee-ee. (humming, apparently composing in his head) Baby, Dogg need da smoke a bendarome. --dial tone-- (At this point he ended our our conversation.)

Translated (De-shizzolated) Transcript:

Snoop: I apologize; I was indisposed, and I am getting ready to call it an evening. Is it terribly urgent?

Snoop: Lord, that is a lot to take on at this hour? And a loaded subject... for me in particular. Could you run this by my colleague and fellow rap music icon, 'Doctor Dre'? Instead? Possibly?

Me: I am sorry, Sir..ahem...Sire, is that *good*? An endorsement? Sorry, Sire.

Snoop: I appreciate your addressing me honorifically, especially in light of our cultural differences -- not to mention your deviation from my physical ideal.
    I have difficulty giving him (50 Cent) credit for his merchandising efforts, when I fundamentally doubt his credibility! He strikes me a bit of a 'put-on', not to mention an opportunist! I would even liken his marketing machinations and all of his recent sensationalism to those of someone I think is universally iconic of non-authentic musicality and flagrant greed: Yes, Sean Combs.
    Moreover, I don't think it's a good scent! It smells too animalic, too synthetic, and too pungent.
    I myself, as you know, prefer the classics, having a broad knowledge base -- scents like Halston's 'Z-14', which has a proven track record -- at least for me -- of engendering admiration and compliments. (humming) Listen, I really do need to be hanging up; I have some personal matters to attend to before I retire...

19 April, 2010

Scentdawg's avatar

Being new to fragrances and not having much experience with describing a scent, I am going to give this one a try. I experienced Power for the first time last week after trying Boucheron and Kourus. However, you cannot give any fragrance a fair shake after witnessing these two fragrances. So I decided to give it another try today. I was expecting to feel the same way as I did a week ago, but I was pleasantly surprised. Power has a citrus topnote that fades rather quickly leaving a light spicy scent that later develops into a woodsy/citrus scent as a basenote. Of course, I don't think it has the sillage nor the longivity is something to brag about, but I was quite impressed by the character and presence of this fragrance, enough to make me want to buy it. Don't turn your back on this one so quickly. It may grow on you just as it did on me.

PS.... Tried it on again, the juice only lasted about 4hrs on my skin, but still could smell it on my clothes after 6hrs. I don't think you can over apply it. It's not overpowering as someone mentioned earlier. However,I still think that is a pleasant fragrance mainly for those in college for a night out, to wear at the office, or casual occasions.

04 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2011)

SoGent's avatar

Not gonna say it's bottled sewage but it isn't something I would spend money on.
    The prominent beginning is pepper, then a slightly sweet pepper .... OK, not too bad.
    From there it just drops into linear-ity. No progression, No change, just a linear plastic note.

Some are going to like it though - for sure.

06 January, 2010

bsn's avatar

This is a nice fragrance, and its better than I had expected. It starts off citrusy and becomes spicy and sweet, then towards the end a woodsy scent remains. Don't automatically turn your nose up at this one just because it is a celebrity scent. Give it a try, its not bad at all.

27 December, 2009

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

This is a pleasant surprise. I expected crap in a bottle, instead, I was greeted by taste and quality, though it has a twist not all will like.
    The opening is a dry, green, soapy; reminiscent of something I can't quite put my finger on...Guerlain's Vetiver and Prada's Infusion d'Homme come to mind. Then a sweetness appears out of nowhere. It is a berry bubble gummy kinda sweetness. This is where most discerning noses will probably get turned off. The dry green and berry walk hand in hand until they get married giving birth to Paco Rabanne's Black XS (but later changes to Polo Explorer? Mont Blanc Exceptionel?) but dirtier. The effect at this point is Dirty English by Juicy Couture like.

I have to give this a thumbs up (but not a highly recommended) because it is:
    1. Daring
    2. Completely unexpectedly quality
    3. A tribute to the past then rolls right into the 'now'

Worth a try, but for me can't do a whole bottle. Fitty, I am impressed.

11th November, 2009

PhilESkyline's avatar

This is my first review and I'm sad to say it's not a good one. I remember hearing about this cologne and the special deal that was done with Macy's. I didn't think it was out yet but to my surprise, or horror, it was in stock. My first thoughts, and I said this out loud to the sales associate, "it smells like Irish Spring soap on steroids." It gave me a headache after two whiffs. I would not recommend this to anyone and would not wear it even if it was a gift.

The one good thing I can say is that the scent matches the name. Too much "Power" can be a bad thing...

01st November, 2009

lilkcceleb's avatar

I Really Have No Words For This!!! I Was Expecting A Warm, Woodsy, Strong Fragrance And Boy - - What A Surprise!!! This Really Is A Love It Or Hate It Fragrance, And I Hate It!!! I Smelled No Hint Of Nutmeg WhatSoEver! Not Trying To Be Funny But I Believe That Smelling This & Play by Givenchy Made Me Sick Today. (I Guess My Nose Is My Best Sense Of The 5)!!! To Whoever Purchases This, Don't Put On A Lot Of It!!!

30th October, 2009

Jackisblack's avatar

G-UNOT...yep 50 fails yet again. I think fiddy went downtown NY, bottled up some sewage, and labeled it "power." Yep, complete crap. would stay away from this if possible.

18 September, 2009