Reviews of Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Find out more about Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Q. R. Crumm's avatar

Awesome opening.

But did not really like the drydown unfortunately. Shame because the opening is THAT good.

09 October, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

The "Modern" Vetiver...

Tom Ford has a thing for recreating older, classic fragrances for the modern-day market. Here, he took the note of Vetiver, a note with a history of use in men's fragrances (ever since Guerlain's classic in 1959). Because of this, he also associates Vetiver with male tailored clothing & style, as well as money. I think this is what he was aiming for here with his Grey Vetiver, a modern take on an old classic note.

Grey Vetiver opens up with a citrus top of Grapefruit, Orange Blossom and Sage, but the Veitver is there from the start. This is also a somewhat linear scent, as the Vetiver note is present from start to finish. I also get Nutmeg, Pimento and a dry, almost powder-like Orris note in the background followed by Oakmoss and some woods in the dry-down. I see this as something of a "suit and tie" or "corporate boardroom" type of fragrance, and I think it would work better on men than women, but could also be worn as unisex.

Ultimately, for me... Having tried the Guerlain Vetiver before trying the Tom Ford, I find that I like the Guerlain version more (to me it smells more natural), but that doesn't mean Grey Vetiver doesn't have it's place. For one thing, it's in Eau de Parfum concentration, and does smell "modern" to most people, while the Guerlain can come across with mixed reactions from many people.

I think this is great, fresh, work fragrance but in my opinion it could also be worn in a casual setting. I also think that for people who don't like a deep, smoky type of Vetiver (or for people who don't like Vetiver as a note) would find this easier to warm up to and appreciate (and ultimately wear).

Overall I would say, if you didn't like the Guerlain, you will probably like this one, and if you did like the Guerlain, you will find this more accessible to wear in the modern day (ie it will "fit in" with modern trends). I do think this is a "safe" fragrance, but at least it's an extremely well-made one, and one which I wish more men would wear these days... instead of the tiring, boring aquatic nonsense which has flooded the male market so recently. A good "modern" male fragrance. Well made and up-to-date.

30th September, 2014

sidewinder's avatar

Smokey, delicious refined vetiver that lasts. Handsomely perfect interpretation of this note. 5 out of 5

09 August, 2014

nwhite14's avatar

Love this as my choice summer scent! I personally cannot wear any type of ozonic, blue "summer" "fresh" "aqua" scent without getting a migraine at first spray. Nothing new to add here that hasn't already been said about this terrific TF modern fragrance. Enjoy!

23 July, 2014

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Vetiver alone has never been attractive to me......but Tom Ford vetiver is different imo , it has some sexiness , very refined and wearable... espeacially in hot sweaty weather it becomes very pleasent. recomended to those who dont like vetiver scents, you will be thankful. Excellent stuff.

13 July, 2014

ShaverX's avatar

I can't say enough good things about this fragrance. It's fresh, crisp, citrusy, metallic, has a hot wet concrete vibe, slight gunpowder smoke. Just terrific. it's cold, calculating, subtle and firm at the same time. it reminds me of summers in Italy as a kid, with the dry air on a cool night blowing through fields of citrus and also has a wet concrete vibe after it rains on a hot day. It's a great scent and smells like nothing I've ever smelt before in a fragrance.

17 June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

“Grey Vetiver” is an apt name for a scent that plays up the dry, dusty-woody aspect of vetiver root. The name also suits the composition’s simplicity and sense of formal reserve.

A dry, tart citrus top note lasts only moments beforethe central accord of dry, yet earthy vetiver, cedar, and nutmeg takes hold. A deftly applied and understated pepper (pimento) note contributes a vegetal kick without overwhelming the rest of the arrangement. As vetiver scents go, Grey Vetiver is in neither the rude, rooty stule of Route de Vétiver or Etro Vetiver, nor the rich, round buttery style of Givenchy Vetyver. It is more closely allied to clean, dry vetivers like Sycomore or Encre Noire. However, Grey Vetiver lacks both Sycomore’s smoky incense and Encre Noire’s avant-garde bitter twang. In its relatively austere accord of cedar and vetiver, Grey Vetiver has ties to Vétiver Extraordinaire, but with none of the Malle scent’s craggy, abrasive quality. Ford’s vetiver may be dry, but it’s also suave and smoothe.

Given the tenacity of its principal ingredients, it should come as no surprise that Grey Vetiver is largely linear in its development. Over the course of hours it slowly jettisons even its simple embellishments to leave vetiver, cedar, and a relatively mild woody amber as its drydown.

There are other vetivers out there with more depth and flair, but if you want something dry, clean, and civilized, without the provocative edge of Encre Noire or the smoky mystery of Sycomore, then Grey Vetiver is well worth trying.

15 June, 2014

DanHD's avatar

This smells like a sport or aquatic scent, having a common “fresh” synthetic vibe that takes about 8 hours to calm down. Finally, I get a somewhat endurable vetiver scent, but it’s not worth the wait. I have Vetiver Extraordinaire and Sycomore, both of which blow this away. If I want an aquatic / “modern” scent I’ve got others in my collection with these qualities (e.g. YSL L’Homme and Mark Birley).

10th June, 2014

rogalal's avatar

I find vetiver, as a smell, very jagged - The olfactory equivalent of those long blades of grass that are sharp enough to cut skin, especially if you rub them the wrong way. Some of my favorite vetivers (like Guerlain) leave the smell rough and pointy. Others try to soften it with musks, burying it in soap until it can't hurt anybody.

Grey Vetiver chooses a third option, which is what make it stand out. It's beachy. There's a ton of salt on top, as well as that herbs-on-a-salty-breeze Acqua di Gio effect. There's also a pinch of that 90's "marine" note, which I usually hate, but is used so carefully here that it actually works. It wouldn't surprise me if Grey Vetiver has an extremely high concentration of calone.

If I'm making Grey Vetiver sound cheap or dumb, it's very much not. It's got the requisite lemon facets and nutmeg in the drydown, but the inherent roughness of the vetiver is perfectly smoothed by the beachy air smells. Definitely a thumbs up.

17 May, 2014

bearhug's avatar

France France

Mild and classy, its Tom Ford what do you expect? Close to the skin and easy to wear, kinda reminds me of Eau Sauvage le parfum but the vetiver vibe is less in GV. In all a nice and modern perfume to have in your collection.

12 May, 2014

berilac's avatar

one of the best I have had, not too overpowering, I use it more in winters

23 March, 2014

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford EDP I am totally in love with you. I have been wanting to purchase this fragrance for a long time since it has gotten many, many positive reviews. I finally decided to buy it and I am 100% glad I did. Last night I sprayed some on my wrist and this morning when I woke up I could still smell it.
    I love Vetiver based colognes and I have a few, but this one is on TOP OF MY LIST!
    It combines the vetiver with citrus and I love that combination. I will be wearing this exquisite fragrance very often from now on.

11th February, 2014

Oproust's avatar

Grey Vetiver - The anti-vetiver. I am not a vetiver fan, but Grey Vetiver has the component parts (Vetiver, florals, citrus, spices) to create a sophisticated, versatile, fragrance that I can easily wear without trepidation. Usually, Vetiver is too dirt-like for my nose. I prefer clean Vetiver. Sycomore is stunning, but I like Grey Vetiver more. Clean, bright and not overpowering in the silty loam department. I love it and wear it in various settings. A solid fragrance that lasts and smells great. I don't smell like I'm digging for night crawlers when I wear this one.

10th January, 2014

Vetiver

Vetivermore is said and can be read in this review. Review: http://www.bitcandy.com/posers/vetiver/theerrantcharm

07 October, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar

My least favorite Tom Ford

I am a lover of Tom Ford scents; perhaps this one is the anti-Ford. The depth and richness that is usually present, and complexity, is absent. Yes, one could argue that that is the point here, a clean, pure and easy vetiver. It does not work well for me. It is far too green, young, sharp, and frankly, neither fresh and soapy or rich and earthy (two vetiver profiles, it seems to me).

When it becomes a skin scent, perhaps a few hours in, it leaves a mellow, spicy reminisce, and is not bad. Still, this is not enough for me to crack the recommendable threshold.

05 October, 2013

onaluna's avatar

Smoky, salty, herbaceous, green, grassy, lemony, dry but alive

Smoky, salty, herbaceous, green, grassy, lemony, dry but alive.

22 June, 2013

GianniGG's avatar

modern vetiver

One of the best vetiver in the market

15 June, 2013

RHINORAY's avatar

My Favorite Vetiver

I love Gurlain's Vetyver. It's the mother ship of vetivers, but Grey Vetiver is a little cleaner and a little more youthful, yet still has a level of sophistication. I Love it! Great for every day or for any occasion.

Pros: Cean with good staying power
    Cons: None

04 June, 2013

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

A fine example of bright-citrus vetivers. Suits great with a shirt-khakis, a good semi-formal choice for spring & summer, recommended.

25 February, 2013

(**)

A thin, unremarkable citrus vetiver that doesn't require further comment.

22 February, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2013)

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Ah, the power of suggestion. Smelling Grey Vetiver, the color grey immediately comes to mind, and following that an image of Grey Flannel.

It's a more subdued Grey Flannel offering, less dusty, more vetivery. Very serious, no play. I smell a grey haze. People liken it to Encre Noir and I have to concur with the vetiver base. Grey Vetiver however is more powdery, somewhat sweeter, than Encre Noir.

18 February, 2013

Dellinger_DdC's avatar

Chile Chile

Imagine yourself unpacking a brand new item you just bought or entering your brand new car, this is exactly what you'll get with Grey Vetiver. This goes beyond just smelling clean, this smells new... brand new and expensive.

Grey Vetiver is very well blended, very high quality ingredients used and overall an amazing vetiver scent. At first whiff you will detect the cleanliness, soapy vibe and it will stay that way from start to finish. It is a very linear scent but the vetiver just tickling your nose makes this irresistible, sometimes it will make you want to sneeze and sometimes it'll add some edge to the fragrance that will take you to heaven, very entertaining fragrance and very, very enjoyable.

If you like vetiver fragrances then this is a must have, if you don't then sniff this one out cause it's so damn good. For me this is just as amazing as Guerlain Vetiver, just younger. Professional young man signature scent, it does not garner much compliments cause you don't need them, you are the boss and now you smell like one.

15 February, 2013

IthinkInailedit's avatar

Grey Vetiver is a modern, sincere take on a classic scent, and it sacrifices no integrity in exchange for accessibility. Many people have described this as a great office/work scent and rightfully so, as it's quite safe, inoffensive, clean and mature. One look at the bottle's sleek design and you know exactly what they were aiming for. It's a very minimal, soft, frosted glass that would be equally at home in an episode of Madmen or on some college student's dresser. Excellent marketing.

Bright, uplifting citrus (I get a grapefruit and lemon vibe) tamed and balanced by an earthy vetiver. Bottled, dirty sunshine. This is my absolute favorite scent for the office, and it's safe for just about any season as well though it may struggle a bit come in the winter. Projection and longevity are superb for this type of fragrance. Definitely better than some of the offerings in Tom Ford's private blend collection that are three times the price. Nothing groundbreaking or avant-garde, just pure quality. A real mood brightener.

10th February, 2013 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2014)

's avatar

This is a wonderful vetiver based scent. Definetely a must have for who likes this note. Not as dark as Encre Noire neither as sweet as L'Occitane Vetyver, this scent is very well balanced, simple and has with a good lasting power, sillage and projection. It's not a masterpiece, but a great scent that deserves a try. Thumbs up!

07 January, 2013

manicboy's avatar

Smells like every other vetiver out there. Nutmeg married to vetiver - nutty, green, and earthy. Not bad but a tad bit late to the party. Tommy could've done much better with this but alas, it's pretty plain.

25 December, 2012

rbaker's avatar

A vetiver that is less bright and revitalising on me than other vetiver scents. Complimented by the gentle orange, a green sage-and-wood note, his is less of a fresh and more of a deeper fragrance, with the vetiver more in the background. Decent silage and projection with a good longevity of over three hours, but overall on the dull side. No match for its Guerlain namesakes.

20th November, 2012

Giannino's avatar

I knew there was something magical about GV when I first sniffed it at Westfield in San Francisco, whilst on vacation. A year or so later, I dread to think what my spring/summers would be like without GV in my arsenal. Like walking through a fresh, slightly citrusy, sparkling waterfall, GV makes the wearer feel energised but with the beauty and sophistication that one would expect from something as captivating as a waterfall.
    Top notes are indeed tinged with a citrus sparkle and the vetiver and oakmoss calmly show their hand to reveal a sense of elegance and gentlemanly charm that is seldom seen in 'fresh' fragrances these days.
    Without question my signature scent for spring/summer, with ample projection and longevity.
    On days when I prefer a change of mood and reach for one of my many other 'fresh' spring/summer fragrances, such as; Platinum Egoiste, Bleu de Channel or GIT, I'm always left wondering how my day would have turned out had I worn the masterpiece that is, Grey Vetiver, by Tom Ford...

18 November, 2012

alfarom's avatar

An honest take on vetiver which while winking at many fragrances of the same family from the past, it brings a subtle yet modern facet. Citrusy, fresh and nutty with outstanding longevity and incredible versatility. Slightly on the synthetic side of the spectrum but the quality-price ratio and the ready availability on the market, make of Grey Vetiver a terrific option to get introduced to the genre. Good stuff.

10th November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

When i initially purchased this one, I thought it was top notch. After a while, it didn't have the same effect. Warning: Do not go crazy on the sprays with this one! It can get cloying.

25 September, 2012

bFlay's avatar

This starts out with a pleasant bitter orange and nutmeg quality, then hits u with the earthy vetiver note. Unfortunately that "earthiness" continues in a too realistic way. After 20 minutes or so, GREY VETIVER smells like a sweaty horse in a newly plowed field. If a scent can be both slightly sweet and fetid at the same time, this is it. Disappointing.

30th August, 2012