Reviews of Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Grey Vetiver is like a well-tailored linen suit. Neither fancy nor conspicious. Just sharp, clean and elegant. And perfectly wearable on hot summer days. A staple for every man's wardrobe.
20th August, 2015
Great option for people that can't tolerate Guerlain Vetiver's tobacco/spicy notes. What you got here is a fresh vetiver scent that smells natural and has great sillage and projection. Vetiver's smoky aspect was sanitized. Nothing groundbreaking, but a beautiful fragrance that deserves attention.
13th August, 2015
Tested from a small sample today and again this evening.
My (as usual amateur) review: like it very much.
I'm a vetiver freak now, so obviously got full-on vetiver from the start. I have Guerlain Vetiver and Encre Noir, and all I can say is that with Grey Vetiver I get the vetiver freshness but at the same time something kind of "cloudy/muddy " in the background at the start. This goes, and then it's slightly soapy, clean, fresh. It's already gorgeous by now, but it gets better. Clean, refined, subtle, delicious, it reminds me of "watery light". I know it has many other ingredients apart from vetiver, and I'm sorry I can't divide these from each other. I would have to use the word "beautiful" - I think in my limited experience I've only ever used that word before once and was describing Chanel Sycomore. As with the Chanel this is for me "not of this world" and definitely kind and benign, but the Chanel has more life and physicality. Which is why I'm still saving my pennies for the Chanel one day..... Here comes the weird descriptive bit: Grey Vetiver for me is me sitting in a large ground-floor room of an old house, empty, dusty and light, I'm watching the light summer rain on the windows trickling down outside, all the while in the presence of a ghost, a quiet, kind, but lost spirit that can be sensed but not seen.
Weird stuff aside, in any case it's a lovely, light, pleasant vetiver scent that I will definitely add to my collection. It lasts about 6 hours on the skin, soft to moderate silage. A daytime scent, I think I will wear this a lot.
July 2015
22nd July, 2015

Salutation.

GREY VETIVER defines of Masculine Elegance.This Lovely Scent possesses a blend of Woodsy notes giving it an Exciting scent.A True head turner as I constantly get Compliments whenever I wear it. Elaborate,Modern,Classy, Addictive,Expensive,Woodsy,Appealing and Distinct.

A fresh and Citrucy Opening with Citruses followed by a Lovely heart of Spice and The base includes a Unique blend of Woodsy Notes That Making you feel like Walk in an Exotic grove and also Gives you Mystique.

The Perfect scent for the Everyday also Surprisingly Intimate and Subtle when wear on a Date Because This Scent is So Cute for Ladies.GREY VETIVER will definitely help make Your perfect SPRING&SUMMER.I would Highly Recommend this EDP If you like fresh scents with some depth.

Sillage?Nice.

Longevity?Superb on my skin.

Thank You TOM FORD.

7.75/10
11th May, 2015
What Daniel Craig sprays on to get into his tuxedoed, James Bond character.
11th March, 2015
My favorite Tom Ford. This was a surprise since it is a vetiver that is both a very elegant wearer and a sophisticated fragrance that doesn't become a bore after repeated wearings. It is more modern than the classics and it isn't done on the cheap. This is actually a complex and rich composition with a soapy quality and some powder (orris) in the dry down. It also has a spicy, mossy feel and leaves a very alluring trail. I find it very classy and satisfactory and go for it very often. I can't recommend this enough to both vetiver enthusiasts and newcomers to the genre. Perfect for all seasons and occasions and one of the scents that I have repurchased many times.
01st March, 2015
A beautifully refreshing scent from Tom Ford. The modern take on Vetiver for a younger generation and it works very well. I stumbled across this in Rome during a hot summer and was intoxicated by it. The 35 degree heat did wonders and I couldn't stop smelling my arm. Bought it within 10 minutes. In my opinion it smells like quality so it's worth the price.

Back in the UK we're not blessed with such temperatures so I wear this with a suit to the office. The perfect frangrance for being taken seriously. It's definitely my favourite TF so far.

The only reason this doesn't get 5 stars is the projection isn't great on me. I can usually smell this for the first 30 minutes but then it's gone unless I search my arm for it. Maybe it's just me. Also I've only ever received 1 compliment on it and she was 60 :-(
27th February, 2015
Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver (edp) is one of the very best releases in its genre. This is a fresh, clean vetiver fragrance with some tart citrus, perhaps lemon, in the opening. The citrus subsides after a while and one is left with a very refined scent of vetiver and soft woody notes. It does not project a lot; rather, it is very subtle and sophisticated. Longevity is pretty good, all of which makes it a great choice as an office fragrance.

It is much less green and leans more towards being 'white' if one has to provide a visual interpretation. It is not as green as Creed Original Vetiver; it pretty much is the modern counterpart to great traditional vetivers such as Guerlain and Givenchy. It is also a perfect complement to the citrus and aquatic fragrances that people usually wear on summer days. While not as stunning as Creed's Original Vetiver (another great fresh vetiver fragrance) or Chanel's Sycomore (a completely different beast), it is a solid fragrance by itself and ticks almost all the right boxes.

A modern classic.
16th February, 2015
One of the only scents from Tom Ford that I find is worth the price. I was given a sample of Grey Vetiver by a retailer and didn't expect a whole lot from it as I never seemed to find much appeal in Tom Ford fragrances that I'd sampled in the past. This however, changes my opinion of the line a bit.

I'm a big fan of Vetiver scents but so many seem copies of classics or slight adaptations of a market benchmark. Grey Vetiver to me has a clean smell, but with considerably less green sweetness that I find in most other vetiver offerings. This one is very "office professional" and could easily be worn in any day setting. My local retailer who has come to know me, provided me several samples and when they are used up I'll probably add a bottle to my collection.
12th February, 2015 (last edited: 13th February, 2015)
Swanky Show all reviews
This is the modern man's fragrance done right. It tips its cap to the classic lineage of fragrances past (Guerlain's Vetiver, Monsieur de Givenchy) while keeping a foot firmly in today's world. The bottle is nicer than so many contemporary men's offerings and it, and the name, suits the fragrance well. Those who usually find vetiver too rooty or earthy shouldn't have any issue with Ford's rendition, well-smoothed by the citrus and spice.

Grey Vetiver is right for any occasion from a weekend fishing trip to a weekend in Vegas. A nuanced, modern classic.
16th January, 2015
Grey Vetiver is a good contemporary vetiver, “grey” in fact as regards of its sort of urban and discreet elegance, with a subtle smoky undertone well contrasting the luminous head notes. Clean and sharp, but also showing a pleasant feel of “dark” refinement. Simple, versatile, safe in pretty much any circumstance: a compelling modern version of a classic vetiver cologne, that sort of fresh-woody stuff you can bath in any time of the year always smelling nice and elegant. Surely not that unique or groundbreaking, but classy, well made and highly enjoyable.

20th December, 2014 (last edited: 25th December, 2014)
A pleasant herb and citrus opening that eventually gives way to a fine vetiver base... accompanied by a sweet vegetable background that completely ruins the fragrance and makes it smell rotten.

I don't think I fully appreciated Dior's Vetiver that uses roasted coffee bean as a compliment to it's vetiver base until I tried Grey Vetiver.

Pass.
15th December, 2014
Out of the gates it's like a "carrot vetiver". It's definitely a good office scent and probably the best Tom Ford. It turns into a more fabric dry dusty smell. This is a unique version of vetiver (finally something unique from TF). Because I like Prada Vetiver more I'll stick with it but TF GV is excellent. It smells like a boardroom scent but is cozy enough for weekends. It's just a little too Grey and Somber. Think of a boardroom where the company is going bust in Seattle with grey skies and you get the idea. The guy is wearing a grey suit and looking blankly out of the office tower at grey rainy skies as the stock plunges. The fact that I can imagine this means there's some quality here.
08th December, 2014

Awesome opening.

But did not really like the drydown unfortunately. Shame because the opening is THAT good.
09th October, 2014
The "Modern" Vetiver...

Tom Ford has a thing for recreating older, classic fragrances for the modern-day market. Here, he took the note of Vetiver, a note with a history of use in men's fragrances (ever since Guerlain's classic in 1959). Because of this, he also associates Vetiver with male tailored clothing & style, as well as money. I think this is what he was aiming for here with his Grey Vetiver, a modern take on an old classic note.

Grey Vetiver opens up with a citrus top of Grapefruit, Orange Blossom and Sage, but the Veitver is there from the start. This is also a somewhat linear scent, as the Vetiver note is present from start to finish. I also get Nutmeg, Pimento and a dry, almost powder-like Orris note in the background followed by Oakmoss and some woods in the dry-down. I see this as something of a "suit and tie" or "corporate boardroom" type of fragrance, and I think it would work better on men than women, but could also be worn as unisex.

Ultimately, for me... Having tried the Guerlain Vetiver before trying the Tom Ford, I find that I like the Guerlain version more (to me it smells more natural), but that doesn't mean Grey Vetiver doesn't have it's place. For one thing, it's in Eau de Parfum concentration, and does smell "modern" to most people, while the Guerlain can come across with mixed reactions from many people.

I think this is great, fresh, work fragrance but in my opinion it could also be worn in a casual setting. I also think that for people who don't like a deep, smoky type of Vetiver (or for people who don't like Vetiver as a note) would find this easier to warm up to and appreciate (and ultimately wear).

Overall I would say, if you didn't like the Guerlain, you will probably like this one, and if you did like the Guerlain, you will find this more accessible to wear in the modern day (ie it will "fit in" with modern trends). I do think this is a "safe" fragrance, but at least it's an extremely well-made one, and one which I wish more men would wear these days... instead of the tiring, boring aquatic nonsense which has flooded the male market so recently. A good "modern" male fragrance. Well made and up-to-date.
30th September, 2014
Smokey, delicious refined vetiver that lasts. Handsomely perfect interpretation of this note. 5 out of 5
09th August, 2014
Love this as my choice summer scent! I personally cannot wear any type of ozonic, blue "summer" "fresh" "aqua" scent without getting a migraine at first spray. Nothing new to add here that hasn't already been said about this terrific TF modern fragrance. Enjoy!
23rd July, 2014
Vetiver alone has never been attractive to me......but Tom Ford vetiver is different imo , it has some sexiness , very refined and wearable... espeacially in hot sweaty weather it becomes very pleasent. recomended to those who dont like vetiver scents, you will be thankful. Excellent stuff.
13th July, 2014
I can't say enough good things about this fragrance. It's fresh, crisp, citrusy, metallic, has a hot wet concrete vibe, slight gunpowder smoke. Just terrific. it's cold, calculating, subtle and firm at the same time. it reminds me of summers in Italy as a kid, with the dry air on a cool night blowing through fields of citrus and also has a wet concrete vibe after it rains on a hot day. It's a great scent and smells like nothing I've ever smelt before in a fragrance.
17th June, 2014
“Grey Vetiver” is an apt name for a scent that plays up the dry, dusty-woody aspect of vetiver root. The name also suits the composition’s simplicity and sense of formal reserve.

A dry, tart citrus top note lasts only moments beforethe central accord of dry, yet earthy vetiver, cedar, and nutmeg takes hold. A deftly applied and understated pepper (pimento) note contributes a vegetal kick without overwhelming the rest of the arrangement. As vetiver scents go, Grey Vetiver is in neither the rude, rooty stule of Route de Vétiver or Etro Vetiver, nor the rich, round buttery style of Givenchy Vetyver. It is more closely allied to clean, dry vetivers like Sycomore or Encre Noire. However, Grey Vetiver lacks both Sycomore’s smoky incense and Encre Noire’s avant-garde bitter twang. In its relatively austere accord of cedar and vetiver, Grey Vetiver has ties to Vétiver Extraordinaire, but with none of the Malle scent’s craggy, abrasive quality. Ford’s vetiver may be dry, but it’s also suave and smoothe.

Given the tenacity of its principal ingredients, it should come as no surprise that Grey Vetiver is largely linear in its development. Over the course of hours it slowly jettisons even its simple embellishments to leave vetiver, cedar, and a relatively mild woody amber as its drydown.

There are other vetivers out there with more depth and flair, but if you want something dry, clean, and civilized, without the provocative edge of Encre Noire or the smoky mystery of Sycomore, then Grey Vetiver is well worth trying.
15th June, 2014
DanHD Show all reviews
This smells like a sport or aquatic scent, having a common “fresh” synthetic vibe that takes about 8 hours to calm down. Finally, I get a somewhat endurable vetiver scent, but it’s not worth the wait. I have Vetiver Extraordinaire and Sycomore, both of which blow this away. If I want an aquatic / “modern” scent I’ve got others in my collection with these qualities (e.g. YSL L’Homme and Mark Birley).
10th June, 2014
I find vetiver, as a smell, very jagged - The olfactory equivalent of those long blades of grass that are sharp enough to cut skin, especially if you rub them the wrong way. Some of my favorite vetivers (like Guerlain) leave the smell rough and pointy. Others try to soften it with musks, burying it in soap until it can't hurt anybody.

Grey Vetiver chooses a third option, which is what make it stand out. It's beachy. There's a ton of salt on top, as well as that herbs-on-a-salty-breeze Acqua di Gio effect. There's also a pinch of that 90's "marine" note, which I usually hate, but is used so carefully here that it actually works. It wouldn't surprise me if Grey Vetiver has an extremely high concentration of calone.

If I'm making Grey Vetiver sound cheap or dumb, it's very much not. It's got the requisite lemon facets and nutmeg in the drydown, but the inherent roughness of the vetiver is perfectly smoothed by the beachy air smells. Definitely a thumbs up.
17th May, 2014
Mild and classy, its Tom Ford what do you expect? Close to the skin and easy to wear, kinda reminds me of Eau Sauvage le parfum but the vetiver vibe is less in GV. In all a nice and modern perfume to have in your collection.
12th May, 2014
one of the best I have had, not too overpowering, I use it more in winters
23rd March, 2014
Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford EDP I am totally in love with you. I have been wanting to purchase this fragrance for a long time since it has gotten many, many positive reviews. I finally decided to buy it and I am 100% glad I did. Last night I sprayed some on my wrist and this morning when I woke up I could still smell it.
I love Vetiver based colognes and I have a few, but this one is on TOP OF MY LIST!
It combines the vetiver with citrus and I love that combination. I will be wearing this exquisite fragrance very often from now on.
11th February, 2014
Grey Vetiver - The anti-vetiver. I am not a vetiver fan, but Grey Vetiver has the component parts (Vetiver, florals, citrus, spices) to create a sophisticated, versatile, fragrance that I can easily wear without trepidation. Usually, Vetiver is too dirt-like for my nose. I prefer clean Vetiver. Sycomore is stunning, but I like Grey Vetiver more. Clean, bright and not overpowering in the silty loam department. I love it and wear it in various settings. A solid fragrance that lasts and smells great. I don't smell like I'm digging for night crawlers when I wear this one.
10th January, 2014
Vetiver

Vetivermore is said and can be read in this review. Review: http://www.bitcandy.com/posers/vetiver/theerrantcharm

07th October, 2013
My least favorite Tom Ford

I am a lover of Tom Ford scents; perhaps this one is the anti-Ford. The depth and richness that is usually present, and complexity, is absent. Yes, one could argue that that is the point here, a clean, pure and easy vetiver. It does not work well for me. It is far too green, young, sharp, and frankly, neither fresh and soapy or rich and earthy (two vetiver profiles, it seems to me).

When it becomes a skin scent, perhaps a few hours in, it leaves a mellow, spicy reminisce, and is not bad. Still, this is not enough for me to crack the recommendable threshold.

05th October, 2013
Smoky, salty, herbaceous, green, grassy, lemony, dry but alive

Smoky, salty, herbaceous, green, grassy, lemony, dry but alive.

22nd June, 2013
modern vetiver

One of the best vetiver in the market

15th June, 2013