Reviews of Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Find out more about Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ShaverX's avatar

I can't say enough good things about this fragrance. It's fresh, crisp, citrusy, metallic, has a hot wet concrete vibe, slight gunpowder smoke. Just terrific. it's cold, calculating, subtle and firm at the same time. it reminds me of summers in Italy as a kid, with the dry air on a cool night blowing through fields of citrus and also has a wet concrete vibe after it rains on a hot day. It's a great scent and smells like nothing I've ever smelt before in a fragrance.

17 June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

“Grey Vetiver” is an apt name for a scent that plays up the dry, dusty-woody aspect of vetiver root. The name also suits the composition’s simplicity and sense of formal reserve.

A dry, tart citrus top note lasts only moments beforethe central accord of dry, yet earthy vetiver, cedar, and nutmeg takes hold. A deftly applied and understated pepper (pimento) note contributes a vegetal kick without overwhelming the rest of the arrangement. As vetiver scents go, Grey Vetiver is in neither the rude, rooty stule of Route de Vétiver or Etro Vetiver, nor the rich, round buttery style of Givenchy Vetyver. It is more closely allied to clean, dry vetivers like Sycomore or Encre Noire. However, Grey Vetiver lacks both Sycomore’s smoky incense and Encre Noire’s avant-garde bitter twang. In its relatively austere accord of cedar and vetiver, Grey Vetiver has ties to Vétiver Extraordinaire, but with none of the Malle scent’s craggy, abrasive quality. Ford’s vetiver may be dry, but it’s also suave and smoothe.

Given the tenacity of its principal ingredients, it should come as no surprise that Grey Vetiver is largely linear in its development. Over the course of hours it slowly jettisons even its simple embellishments to leave vetiver, cedar, and a relatively mild woody amber as its drydown.

There are other vetivers out there with more depth and flair, but if you want something dry, clean, and civilized, without the provocative edge of Encre Noire or the smoky mystery of Sycomore, then Grey Vetiver is well worth trying.

15 June, 2014

DanHD's avatar

This smells like a sport or aquatic scent, having a common “fresh” synthetic vibe that takes about 8 hours to calm down. Finally, I get a somewhat endurable vetiver scent, but it’s not worth the wait. I have Vetiver Extraordinaire and Sycomore, both of which blow this away. If I want an aquatic / “modern” scent I’ve got others in my collection with these qualities (e.g. YSL L’Homme and Mark Birley).

10th June, 2014

rogalal's avatar

I find vetiver, as a smell, very jagged - The olfactory equivalent of those long blades of grass that are sharp enough to cut skin, especially if you rub them the wrong way. Some of my favorite vetivers (like Guerlain) leave the smell rough and pointy. Others try to soften it with musks, burying it in soap until it can't hurt anybody.

Grey Vetiver chooses a third option, which is what make it stand out. It's beachy. There's a ton of salt on top, as well as that herbs-on-a-salty-breeze Acqua di Gio effect. There's also a pinch of that 90's "marine" note, which I usually hate, but is used so carefully here that it actually works. It wouldn't surprise me if Grey Vetiver has an extremely high concentration of calone.

If I'm making Grey Vetiver sound cheap or dumb, it's very much not. It's got the requisite lemon facets and nutmeg in the drydown, but the inherent roughness of the vetiver is perfectly smoothed by the beachy air smells. Definitely a thumbs up.

17 May, 2014

bearhug's avatar

France France

Mild and classy, its Tom Ford what do you expect? Close to the skin and easy to wear, kinda reminds me of Eau Sauvage le parfum but the vetiver vibe is less in GV. In all a nice and modern perfume to have in your collection.

12 May, 2014

berilac's avatar

one of the best I have had, not too overpowering, I use it more in winters

23 March, 2014

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford EDP I am totally in love with you. I have been wanting to purchase this fragrance for a long time since it has gotten many, many positive reviews. I finally decided to buy it and I am 100% glad I did. Last night I sprayed some on my wrist and this morning when I woke up I could still smell it.
    I love Vetiver based colognes and I have a few, but this one is on TOP OF MY LIST!
    It combines the vetiver with citrus and I love that combination. I will be wearing this exquisite fragrance very often from now on.

11th February, 2014

Oproust's avatar

Grey Vetiver - The anti-vetiver. I am not a vetiver fan, but Grey Vetiver has the component parts (Vetiver, florals, citrus, spices) to create a sophisticated, versatile, fragrance that I can easily wear without trepidation. Usually, Vetiver is too dirt-like for my nose. I prefer clean Vetiver. Sycomore is stunning, but I like Grey Vetiver more. Clean, bright and not overpowering in the silty loam department. I love it and wear it in various settings. A solid fragrance that lasts and smells great. I don't smell like I'm digging for night crawlers when I wear this one.

10th January, 2014

Vetiver

Vetivermore is said and can be read in this review. Review: http://www.bitcandy.com/posers/vetiver/theerrantcharm

07 October, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar

My least favorite Tom Ford

I am a lover of Tom Ford scents; perhaps this one is the anti-Ford. The depth and richness that is usually present, and complexity, is absent. Yes, one could argue that that is the point here, a clean, pure and easy vetiver. It does not work well for me. It is far too green, young, sharp, and frankly, neither fresh and soapy or rich and earthy (two vetiver profiles, it seems to me).

When it becomes a skin scent, perhaps a few hours in, it leaves a mellow, spicy reminisce, and is not bad. Still, this is not enough for me to crack the recommendable threshold.

05 October, 2013

onaluna's avatar

Smoky, salty, herbaceous, green, grassy, lemony, dry but alive

Smoky, salty, herbaceous, green, grassy, lemony, dry but alive.

22 June, 2013

GianniGG's avatar

modern vetiver

One of the best vetiver in the market

15 June, 2013

RHINORAY's avatar

My Favorite Vetiver

I love Gurlain's Vetyver. It's the mother ship of vetivers, but Grey Vetiver is a little cleaner and a little more youthful, yet still has a level of sophistication. I Love it! Great for every day or for any occasion.

Pros: Cean with good staying power
    Cons: None

04 June, 2013

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

A fine example of bright-citrus vetivers. Suits great with a shirt-khakis, a good semi-formal choice for spring & summer, recommended.

25 February, 2013

(**)

A thin, unremarkable citrus vetiver that doesn't require further comment.

22 February, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2013)

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Ah, the power of suggestion. Smelling Grey Vetiver, the color grey immediately comes to mind, and following that an image of Grey Flannel.

It's a more subdued Grey Flannel offering, less dusty, more vetivery. Very serious, no play. I smell a grey haze. People liken it to Encre Noir and I have to concur with the vetiver base. Grey Vetiver however is more powdery, somewhat sweeter, than Encre Noir.

18 February, 2013

Dellinger_DdC's avatar

Chile Chile

Imagine yourself unpacking a brand new item you just bought or entering your brand new car, this is exactly what you'll get with Grey Vetiver. This goes beyond just smelling clean, this smells new... brand new and expensive.

Grey Vetiver is very well blended, very high quality ingredients used and overall an amazing vetiver scent. At first whiff you will detect the cleanliness, soapy vibe and it will stay that way from start to finish. It is a very linear scent but the vetiver just tickling your nose makes this irresistible, sometimes it will make you want to sneeze and sometimes it'll add some edge to the fragrance that will take you to heaven, very entertaining fragrance and very, very enjoyable.

If you like vetiver fragrances then this is a must have, if you don't then sniff this one out cause it's so damn good. For me this is just as amazing as Guerlain Vetiver, just younger. Professional young man signature scent, it does not garner much compliments cause you don't need them, you are the boss and now you smell like one.

15 February, 2013

's avatar

This is a wonderful vetiver based scent. Definetely a must have for who likes this note. Not as dark as Encre Noire neither as sweet as L'Occitane Vetyver, this scent is very well balanced, simple and has with a good lasting power, sillage and projection. It's not a masterpiece, but a great scent that deserves a try. Thumbs up!

07 January, 2013

manicboy's avatar

Smells like every other vetiver out there. Nutmeg married to vetiver - nutty, green, and earthy. Not bad but a tad bit late to the party. Tommy could've done much better with this but alas, it's pretty plain.

25 December, 2012

rbaker's avatar

A vetiver that is less bright and revitalising on me than other vetiver scents. Complimented by the gentle orange, a green sage-and-wood note, his is less of a fresh and more of a deeper fragrance, with the vetiver more in the background. Decent silage and projection with a good longevity of over three hours, but overall on the dull side. No match for its Guerlain namesakes.

20th November, 2012

Giannino's avatar

I knew there was something magical about GV when I first sniffed it at Westfield in San Francisco, whilst on vacation. A year or so later, I dread to think what my spring/summers would be like without GV in my arsenal. Like walking through a fresh, slightly citrusy, sparkling waterfall, GV makes the wearer feel energised but with the beauty and sophistication that one would expect from something as captivating as a waterfall.
    Top notes are indeed tinged with a citrus sparkle and the vetiver and oakmoss calmly show their hand to reveal a sense of elegance and gentlemanly charm that is seldom seen in 'fresh' fragrances these days.
    Without question my signature scent for spring/summer, with ample projection and longevity.
    On days when I prefer a change of mood and reach for one of my many other 'fresh' spring/summer fragrances, such as; Platinum Egoiste, Bleu de Channel or GIT, I'm always left wondering how my day would have turned out had I worn the masterpiece that is, Grey Vetiver, by Tom Ford...

18 November, 2012

alfarom's avatar

An honest take on vetiver which while winking at many fragrances of the same family from the past, it brings a subtle yet modern facet. Citrusy, fresh and nutty with outstanding longevity and incredible versatility. Slightly on the synthetic side of the spectrum but the quality-price ratio and the ready availability on the market, make of Grey Vetiver a terrific option to get introduced to the genre. Good stuff.

10th November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

When i initially purchased this one, I thought it was top notch. After a while, it didn't have the same effect. Warning: Do not go crazy on the sprays with this one! It can get cloying.

25 September, 2012

bFlay's avatar

This starts out with a pleasant bitter orange and nutmeg quality, then hits u with the earthy vetiver note. Unfortunately that "earthiness" continues in a too realistic way. After 20 minutes or so, GREY VETIVER smells like a sweaty horse in a newly plowed field. If a scent can be both slightly sweet and fetid at the same time, this is it. Disappointing.

30th August, 2012

Nik's avatar

this one is the kind of scent that you can wear on any occasion, but it exudes class and is something I can see myself wearing together with dark suit, crisp white shirt (not unlike mr Ford himself....I imagine him smelling of this, to be honest). Citrus notes gently yield to the heart of vetiver, which lingers and accompanies me throughout my day, Many compare this to Guerlain's vetiver classics, but the Tom Ford creation is something that takes vetivers firmly into the 21st century: it lacks the sharp tangy edges of Guerlain's classic, but I would venture carries the whole with even more class.

06 August, 2012

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

I'm not a fan of vetiver based fragrances but this guy is a winner in my book.
    Start semi fresh with hint of sweetness in the background!
    Believe me or not, the opening smell exactly like carrot juice!!
    I asked from my brother without telling him anything about the smell and he also said this fragrance smell like carrot!
    Very strange but also very interesting! I love carrot juice!!! lol
    In the mid, this carrot type of smell start to fade and now it's time for vetiver to shine!
    The mid has that old classic vetiver based fragrances vibe but it doesn't smell dated! but I think this fragrance made mostly for a mature guy.I mean around 30 and up.
    Average projection but good longevity.
    Very good and quality juice. I like it so much.

03 August, 2012

msi_21's avatar

Iran Iran

It opens with a shiny citrus note on my skin, albeit earthy vetiver is apparent from beginning. Develops pretty quickly and then earthy vetiver becomes dominant while those shiny citrus notes provide a fresh facet to the scent.

Very well crafted, classy and chic; it has moderate longevity and projection.

It's closer to 'Vetiver Extreme' by Gurelain than their classic 'Vetiver'. That shiny citrus note gives Grey Vetiver a little more sharp-fresh-dynamic character and I prefer it to VE.

Vetiver dominated scents usually don't find a place in my wardrobe, no exceptions here! However, I'm appreciative of the overall high quality of this.

7 out of 10 IMHO.

11th July, 2012

Marais's avatar

A very clean, fresh-smelling vetiver allied to grapefruit and nutmeg,
    with stellar longevity. Very nice to wear in the summer and a solid
    thumbs-up from me. So far, so good. BUT - I prefer my vetivers a
    little more 'vetivery' than this; here it has been sterilised and
    stripped of some of its unique facets, without the addition of any
    interesting foil. In that sense, I find it a little simple; I miss
    the sharpness of the Givenchy, the rubberiness of Vetiver Oriental, the rootiness of Route du Vetiver,
    the smoke of Sycomore, the tobacco of the Guerlain. [Of
    course, if mishandled, it is possible to err in the opposite direction
    and end up with something downright unpleasant (q.v. Turtle Vetiver
    Front)]. In summary, an excellent scent, but a second rate vetiver when compared to the best that the genre has to offer. P.S. I do not find this comparable to Guerlain's masterpiece, except for the inclusion of nutmeg. No tobacco, no tonka, no powder, no contrast, no complexity - no competition!

11th June, 2012

Preston H's avatar

Grey vetiver is a parfume that your gf/wife is gonna ask you to wear til you get sick of it. Not only is it fresh and cool, it doesn't get too spicy (like a lot of vetiver based perfumes) so young and old alike can enjoy this. Neroli and grapefruit sets the tone for a classic, green vetiver scent that even though it's very bitter at the end, embraces the warm weather quite nicely

11th June, 2012

pgcd's avatar

I'll have to agree with Surge - even though I'm twice his age. Grey Vetiver is a very nice, fresh, clean vetiver on a citrus background. Most agreeable in the spring, but I guess I'll wear it more than happily in full summer as well. And I'll probably feel younger than I am.

04 March, 2012