Negative Reviews of Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Find out more about Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

DanHD's avatar

This smells like a sport or aquatic scent, having a common “fresh” synthetic vibe that takes about 8 hours to calm down. Finally, I get a somewhat endurable vetiver scent, but it’s not worth the wait. I have Vetiver Extraordinaire and Sycomore, both of which blow this away. If I want an aquatic / “modern” scent I’ve got others in my collection with these qualities (e.g. YSL L’Homme and Mark Birley).

10th June, 2014

's avatar

(**)

A thin, unremarkable citrus vetiver that doesn't require further comment.

22 February, 2013 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2013)

bFlay's avatar

This starts out with a pleasant bitter orange and nutmeg quality, then hits u with the earthy vetiver note. Unfortunately that "earthiness" continues in a too realistic way. After 20 minutes or so, GREY VETIVER smells like a sweaty horse in a newly plowed field. If a scent can be both slightly sweet and fetid at the same time, this is it. Disappointing.

30th August, 2012

autumngleeman's avatar

I understand that this is not an aquatic, but the very synthetic nature of the composition (because of the long lasting citrus I think) makes the overall effect smell like one, like a kenzo creation or some bulgari aqua flanker. That same sharp cloying effect you find in aquatics is here with that blunt and brutal use of citrus. The vetiver isn't exactly earthy or grassy either, but with the synthetic foreground it's hard for me to isolate properly for scrutiny. With respect to the better and more experienced noses here reviewing this, I hereby proclaim that this vetiver...sucks. In fact, I don't see how anyone else could really consider this a proper vetiver. It's strikes me as pseudo-vetiver in the same category as Creed Original Vetiver (but of course very different), BUT without the substitute/redeeming qualities that OV offers in exchange for being atypical.

09 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 February, 2012)

Dictator's avatar

It does lack the refinement of Guerlain Vetiver. To me it smells synthetic especially the lemon wich is kind off mixed with the vetiver and you get a very linear unpleasant sent(but not too unpleasant). But if your a fanatic you should like it because it's the kind of perfume designed for all the ''Joe's''of america. It's a marketing product you buy an image a smell a concept. But when you wear Guerlain Vetiver you are the image, the smell and you have your own views.

The openings of both perfumes are very similar I presume it was intentionnal from Tom Ford's marketing team to attract Guerlain Vetiver customers. Well I have not fallen!

23 January, 2012

Dernier_Cri's avatar

Subtle it ain't. I'll try to be positive here. How about: "The most heavenly lemon furniture cleaner you will ever use?" On second thought no I do not want to smell this in my place. On anything. And god help me if I were to spill it. Worse still, something (sage?) contributes to a violet leaf like note, my personal kryptonite as far as perfume ingredients go. Grey Vetiver seems well made but for me borders on the intolerable. Get me to a sink.

30th December, 2011

barclaydetolly's avatar

Unfortunately, this smells on my skin like a strong female perfume with just a hint of vetiver, which is mainly lost in the clouds. One coworker told me I smelled nice, then asked (hesitantly) if I was wearing women's perfume.

04 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 July, 2011)

LushLife's avatar

After spraying this on my wrist and giving it a few hours, I headed to Home Depot to do some shopping. I caught a whiff of some sort of floor cleaner, but realized I was in the carpet department.

Ah yes, it was Grey Vetiver. An overly citrus, thin, and underwhelming. I agree that the vetiver notes are smoothly blended, and the 'dirtiness' of the vetiver is missing from the frag. I also am able to get the image of 'grey' when I smell it. But it smells like something I'd clean my floor with. Not a fan

26 May, 2011

Bokchoy's avatar

While this fragrance can be described as classy, sophisticated, office appropriate, and long-lasting, and great-smelling there is one major issue:

There are simply way too many vetiver-based scents out there for Grey Vetiver to compete with, and in my opinion, Grey Vetiver is below average in this category. It is very difficult to purchase an average fragrance when there are so many alternatives out there.

Grey Vetiver is getting great reviews, but if you check out every other major player in the vetiver department, you'll find similar results.

I've tried many vetivers. In my opinion, Givenchy Vetyver, Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire and Guerlain Vetiver beat out Tom Ford cleanly. Creed Original Vetiver, Lalique Encre Noire, Chanel's Sycomore, Hermes Vetiver Tonka, Prada Infusion de Vetiver and (again) Guerlain Vetiver offer more a more unique and interesting interpretation to vetiver that Tom Ford doesn't offer.

If you're in the market for a vetiver, shop around. There are tons out there. You might end up disagreeing with me and going with Grey Vetiver, especially if you want a citrusy, clean, dry, pure vetiver. For me, there are at least 5-6 vetiver fragrances that I would have chosen over Tom Ford's and for that reason, I can't give it a Thumbs Up or even a Neutral.

Sillage is above average. Longevity is excellent.
    Suitable for warm weather and daytime use. Office appropriate.
    Most suitable for mature crowd.

I give Grey Vetiver 3 out of 5.

25 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2011)