Reviews of APOM pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Find out more about APOM pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

sjg3839's avatar

Orange blossom gem. Unisex IMO. Light cedar with a few light spices. 8.5/10

08 June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Powerful fruity opening with a blast of opulent orange blossom notes, heavy musks, spices and balsamic cedar. It then softens a bit on an ambery/balsamic accord, still round and quite sticky, mellow and soft, powdery and slightly talcum-dusted. The cedar-amber interplay comes clearer and brighter after a while, at the beginning they are quite glued together but then the texture loosens and you can feel them more clearly. I also detect an orris hint, a dusty base, and still a fresh, almost mentholated breeze. The very down base is slighty rubbery and latex-like. Undoutably a distinctive, unique and opulent fragrance, with the signature Kurdjian style. Personally I loved it at first, but after two or three "full tries" for a day or so, it gets a bit boring – the smell is fine, it's just a bit "too much". Almost cloying. But if you love it, then it's deal. Monster persistence (it just survived a thorough shower).

7,5/10

09 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 16 April, 2014)

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

This is the gent who takes time to dress with care, has had his jaw sorted by the dentist, has cultivated ‘good taste’ in music and film, and still remains something of a bore.
    A bracing, almost barbershop, proposition of orange blossom (veering more to the fruity side of its range) cut through with a peppery cedar, which is underlined with the smells-like-skin musk that makes Lumiere Noir pour homme such a success. The cedar is a sharp stab at the start and then retires gracefully to the background. However, later in the wear, one gets the unwelcome impression of the kind of airbrush chemicals that plague sports editions of mainstream perfumes. APOM remains in the ‘nice try’ category, pleasant and a bit too cool for its own good. Suits casual use, though.

08 December, 2013

dvdlpznyc's avatar

Amber & Cedar & Orange Blossom -- it glistens and glimmers, and is certainly endearing; it definitely has its charms, but unfortunately I just cannot see this as a very signature scent.

20th November, 2013

patsavouta's avatar

old fashioned, classic feel with poor longevity

Unfortunately is a no for me. Classic feel orange blossom with an old fashioned essence and below average longevity. Mostly for matured men in my opinion. It reminds me a little of ADP colognia assoluta which i also don't like and a little bit of Robert Piguet's one, i think notes or bois bleu (although Piguet's one launched later than that)
    For my taste it's a waste of money, too expensive and while reminds of other stuff kinda unoriginal.

Pros: classic feel
    Cons: unoriginal, old fashioned, poor longevity, too expensive!!"</p>

18 October, 2013 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2014)

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Orange+amber. That's it. Nice to smell and wear but very boring because of the linearity.

13 March, 2013

benzganesh's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Sadened, by this after all i loved Lumiere Noire Pour Homme and Absolute Pour Le Soir my MFK - this is quite simply a disaster, orange blossom/flower seems to the only ingridient in perfumery that turns my stomach - and i had a such a bad nausea with his just like bulgari black, after the initial 3 hours or so - it does get better, the cedar crisps the fragrance for a bit and we do get a hint of the MFK signature drydown as featured in absolute pour le soir - however, this radiates back and forth between the nauseating amber-flower combo - i am thankful that i was given 6 samples of APOM when i bought APLS and LNPH from the MFK line, had i bought it it would have straight would have become a toilet spray, i was also given an APOM room spray as well- i just hope it is not disaster like this EDT.

04 September, 2012

Candide's avatar

Germany Germany

Sweet gentleness.
    Carefree but full of deep feelings.
    Smiling mildly, being consolatory - a medicine against angst and weltschmerz.

19 June, 2012

drseid's avatar

I really wanted to like APOM, and based on the notes I really should like it... That said, I am glad I did not blind buy a full bottle, as I actually loathe the stuff. I find the scent very cloying and not at all what I expected. I get an annoying blend of artificial smelling orange and amber with musk mixed in for good measure. I like orange and I like amber, but not when combined in APOM for some reason. Projection is quite good here and so is longevity. Bottom line is APOM is not the worst scent I have smelled, not even close. It *is*, however, one of the most disappointing scents I have sampled though. Two big thumbs down and 1.5 out of 5 stars from me.

18 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 May, 2012)

Jack Hunter's avatar

This one is all about orange blossom,amber and cedar though they are blended together seamlessly. I sprayed a shot to my chest and both wrists and have been enveloped in a halo of warm orange blossom amber.

It is warm and slightly sweet and powdery and has the same ethereal nature as LNPH but this projects more and I have gotten about nine hours plus and it's still going.

This scent really is heavenly and it seems to blossom on the skin. It gives you a rich seductive glow and the woods seem to make the scent more masculine by deepening the feeling of the amber/orange blossom.

Anyone who loves Aqua Di Palma, Neroli and barbershop type scents should check this one out as it is gorgeous. This would make a great Spring/Summer fragrance for that out of the shower into the Summer Sun feeling.

17 December, 2011

michailG's avatar

APOM for men is certainly a well made long lasting Amber fragrance from the opening all the way to the end (7-8 hours after application). It is comparable to AMBER 114 by HdP but it’s less complexed and rich/deep, so rather straightforward I would say. For lovers of amber this is a must-try. I am not a fun of Amber myself and APOM didn’t convert me.

26 November, 2011

alfarom's avatar

I'm definitely not a fan of white flowers and expecially orange flowers but APOM PH is quite a special one. It opens with a masterfully executed orange flowers note to quickly evolve into a woody/musky base that while it's incredibly simple at the same time it clearly speaks of quality. The cedarwood is never overdone or overwhelming while the musk is joined by a powdery/sweet vibe that's perfectly blended with the rest.

APOM is mannered, elegant and a tad androgynous. It remarks its presence with a subtile, but definitely noticeable, voice but while I can't deny it's a successful composition, is nowhere close being among my favorite deliveries by the incredibly talented Francis Kurkdjian. Not for me...

22 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2012)

obscura's avatar

This is one you must try on skin. After trying on APOM pour homme on paper, I was unimpressed. It smelled of thin orange blossom on uninspired musk and little else. However, today I gave APOM PH a second try, this time on skin. What a difference! APOM PH seemed to melt into my body and become a halo of fragrance around me.

The listed notes, as mentioned previously, are orange blossom, cedarwood, and amber. Up top, the orange blossom is particularly evident, with a tonality that is reminiscent of Le Male. Especially on skin, the cedarwood comes out subtly along with other warm notes that balance the cool orange blossom. However, the real magic happens later in the day. A few hours in, this becomes surprisingly animalic! A touch of cumin breaks through the lingering orange blossom, which is supported by a base of rich, warm, delicately animalic musk. I don't get much in the way of amber, per se, except insofar as I can imagine hints of labdanum and (maybe) vanilla. Rather, the far drydown smells surprisingly like the drydown of Tom Ford Urban Musk, once the stonking animal notes have mostly worn off.

Is this something I feel like I need to own? Probably not now. However, APOM PH is clearly a superbly executed version of a simple concept. It is refined, yet undemanding. On the surface of things, it smells good, but once you smell a little deeper perfumistos/as will be pleased to find that APOM PH has real depth.

19 October, 2011

WildThingy's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

A bit boring. To me it feels like a combination of a calone/vetiveryl driven 'aquatic' fresh idea in the middle notes and a 'balsamic' base. The top relies on the contrast and seems luxurious, refined and all. Alas, to my nose it decomposed after an hour, while the aquatic thing radiates too much to be pleasent. Technically it may be a more than just o/k frag - at least for the first 40minutes. But it doesn't live up the price, the promised exclusivity and hence the generated expectations. Generic bourgeouis - won't come back to it. Like to enjoy ELdOs Nombril Immense instead for a sixth of the price.

07 May, 2011

digger51's avatar

I got a sample of this yesterday and decided to wear it today. I had not idea what APOM was about, but because I respect MFK so much I put it on blind. This is a very well done simple, but not simplictic, scent. It is light but it last a long time. The orange blossom and ceder blend well for a very nice base. I do not know if I will buy a bottle only because I do not know when a where this scent will work for me. It is not a work scent or a dinner/evening scent. Perhaps a brunch or lazy warm day scent. Thumbs up for a well done quality frag.

Two weeks later, put this on again this morning. I really like this scent. It is light but there. It is very pleasant and there but not overpowering. MFK did an outstanding job in designing this scent. I was not inclined to get a bottle at first. However, now, I am seriously considering getting this.

09 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 March, 2011)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

A PIECE OF ME speaks of quality, in polite whispers rather than in bold statements. Think of it as a peek at a coveted luxury timepiece from beneath crisp white cuffs, or the quiet air of elegance in a highborn lady, or impeccably polished manners that comes with good upbringing. Orange flowers over a subtly honeyed masculine accord of cedar and amber, some reviewers might consider the fragrance a little underwhelming. Perhaps it is simple, but it's never simplistic. After all true quality doesn't have to be complicated.

28 December, 2010

Catnip's avatar

I received mine today, a totally blind buy. As the middle & bottom note started to develope, I couldn't helpmyself from thinking "I smelled that before". Yes, it smells exactly like Xerjoff - Kobe, only at a fraction of the cost. Perhaps if one look at it under the microscope, their ingredients differs. A classy neroli scent for gentlemen.

22 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 June, 2011)

Kaern's avatar

I thought it was a 'piece of mind' not a 'piece of me' as this has a zen like quality even though it is just orange blossom and cedar wood. There are some natural extracts in here, but it is very strong -- I could detect it on a jacket collar 3 days later. APOM has a sort of retro feel to it, but it is wonderful.

04 March, 2010

Longexact's avatar

This is a nice, inoffensive amber. I went back and forth on whether to give this a thumbs up or a neutral rating, but the price is pleasingly low (especially for a niche fragrance), a serious point in its favor. Although there isn't a lot here to distinguish it from the crowd, it is nicely done, and if you want a well-blended, undemanding luminous amber, you may as well pick this one up. At this price point you can also get The Different Company's Oriental Lounge, which is very similar. There are definitely better, more interesting ambers out there (Amouage's Jubilation Man and MDCI's best-of-class Ambre Topkapi come to mind), but they are also a good bit more expensive.

25 January, 2010