Positive Reviews of Esprit du Tigre / Spirit of the Tiger by Heeley

Inigo, Lisa, thanks.
I've been wanting a menthol/confirous/camforous perfume for a while now.
Tried many.
Some were too weird - Fille en Aiguilles

Tubereuse Criminelle came close but veered off into tuberose territory

Others were ok but veered off into an herbal prospective (Geoffrey Beene bowling green)

Others started out nice but ended up flaking away - Richard Lüscher Britos 46°N 08°E - Valais

Norne is ughh .. nauseating

Blenheim Bouquet is a good alternative -

Between this & Granville , my tiger balm needs are satiated.
Granville and Esprit du Tigre are like Coromandel & Borneo 1834.
The former are elegant, polished, regal & everything that a St.Regis calls for.
The latter are the rugged, utilitarian & unadulterated complementary specimens.
26th April, 2015
Many people call this fragrance medicinal, but it's not medicinal at all!
For me, Esprit du Tigre is an exotic herbal fruity fragrance that follows "Angelo Orazio Pregoni's" fragrances DNA from O'Driu brand.
If you're familiar with his work, you know what I'm talking about.
The opening of this fragrance is a semi sweet herbal and fruity scent with lots of spices surrounding it.
I can smell spearmint that because of heavy spices and some other green notes has an exotic feeling.
There is a sweet fruity smell beside these notes that smell more like dried fruits instead of fresh ones and give the scent more pleasant aroma, but more mysterious feeling as well!
As time goes by the minty smell goes away and spices settle down and now I can smell more fruity smell plus that exotic herbal smell in the background.
As I said before this fragrance remind me the smell of Many O'Driu fragrances (but safer against many of them!) and also I'm going to throw "Lush Breath of God's" name here too because they do have similarities as well.
Projection is average and longevity is around 5-6 hours on my skin.
I like it.
25th April, 2014
All the comparisons to Tiger Balm put me off trying this one for the longest time. However, it is one of those ‘it does smell like it and yet it doesn’t’ perfumes and I’m glad I broke through my reluctance.
The main point of divergence is that Esprit du Tigre is light and airy (not unctuous and pore-cloggingly heavy like Tiger Balm). It is overdosed with clove but what a supple, almost green clove – not some garam masala disaster. The other spices all seem to be behind this radiant clove note, pushing it to the fore. The other bulwark is a camphor that is medicinal in a magickal kind of way rather than reminiscent of the sterile hospital ward. But the stroke of genius is the mint that breezes through this composition blending beautifully with the spiciness, bringing the breath of the outdoors and giving the whole thing lift.
If Esprit du Tigre is a spice bomb, it’s one that explodes going ‘poof!’ or ‘voila!’ rather than ‘BLAM!’. I don’t particularly go for spicy perfumes, I don’t care much for clove or mint in my scents, but I still find Esprit du Tigre completely appealing.
It has a pretty long evolution, transitioning first after a few hours into mainly a light and sweet clove before morphing into something oozing creamy soapiness that feels like being wrapped in a fluffy shawl.
24th April, 2014

I smell a lot of mint, pepper, camphor, so in short, as almost any other as already noted, a medicinal bomb. Still this is somehow fascinating, as it results in a fresh and green scent, with an exotic, spicy and balsamic twist - I do not know why, but the whole ensemble makes me think of some kind of a fin-de-siècle military red cross tent, somewhere in the middle of a desert war. The drydown tends more towards classic cologne notes - balsamic on woods.

20th January, 2014 (last edited: 05th April, 2014)
I love spices, and I love how this smells, but it's so light. It did last all day at work but I dumped a mostly full 1ml sample on myself and it was still really light, I'm not sure if anyone else could smell it. I could imagine times when I'd want something like that, but other better fragrances have higher priority. Great medicinal quality, though.....warm and a little bracing at the same time. Similar to real tiger balm but like someone else said, more refined.
12th November, 2012
Odd and interesting perfume this one!
Very refined version of the famous Tiger Balm, but not only that. The charming power of an old and mysterious medicinal remedy, with a warm spicy drydown!
Great stuff!
11th February, 2011
Delicious tiger balsam hologram. Top notes especially are very accurate smelling, I can even imagine to get some whiffs of petroleum. (petroleum is used in tiger balsam, at least in the ones I have used)
Camphor, mint, cardamom, clove and that petroleum. The scent is dry and quite balsam-like in structure.

The drydown is slightly disapointing : It developes into this very peppery scent which hits me quite sharp and very thin. I wish this scent would carry itself a bit further, I wish it was more full bodied and longer lasting. Now it smells "too good" straight from the bottle compared to the smell after couple of hours have past.

Thumbs up, though. Large bottle is a plus here, because it may be that he/she wants to spritz this one few times during the day, just to enjoy those wonderful first moments.
09th November, 2008
i was pulled in to Heeley with their release Cardinal, i never had to fortune to sample cardinal, only once someone is know wore it from a sample on his way to meet me, i just loved the sillage of it..amazing stuff... that's how i came across Spirit of the tiger... when i read the reviews on Lucky scent- that its inspired by Tiger Balm, i rejected it immediately thinkin who would wanna smell like that....well, i was sooo wrong. recently i got a sample of it...and... it's just amazing! the sillage and feel of this scent would be a strong reminder of how similar it is to tiger balm, yet, its sooo enjoyable! this is a scent and it comes across as a very powerful, soothing, invigorating scent. Tiger balm is a balm and thats the end to it. the fun part is the mid to base notes journey!! my fav part!! ummmm wow! just too good. if i were put a gun on my head to say how it smell, it'd say take the best of Kouros and tone down the intensity of the herbal approach of tiger balm a bit! thr! i said it!

its just an amazing one, a scent with character, a scent with magical healing powers, a scent with a spicy herbal soul from birth, a scent that could easily be a contender as being my holy grail.
01st August, 2008
Several times, on a whim, I have applied Tiger Balm on the back of my hand just because I enjoy the scent. I like the accords in Spirit of the Tiger just as much, and it’s not as lethal to the nose as Tiger Balm is the first hour after it is applied. Still, it is amazing how similar they smell. Spirit of the Tiger is more refined than the original, and not as medicinal, which is entirely expected. SotT is camphorous and minty and, especially, clovey. It is thoroughly enjoyable. No need to describe this fragrance any further. If anyone wants to know what it smells like, just get a jar of Tiger Balm. Of course, this recommendation can be expanded need to buy a $90 bottle of Spirit of the Tiger, for less than one-tenth the cost, just get the real thing — it lasts as long and has the additional healing benefits.
14th October, 2007