Positive Reviews of Esprit du Tigre / Spirit of the Tiger by Heeley

Find out more about Esprit du Tigre / Spirit of the Tiger by Heeley in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

Many people call this fragrance medicinal, but it's not medicinal at all!
    For me, Esprit du Tigre is an exotic herbal fruity fragrance that follows "Angelo Orazio Pregoni's" fragrances DNA from O'Driu brand.
    If you're familiar with his work, you know what I'm talking about.
    The opening of this fragrance is a semi sweet herbal and fruity scent with lots of spices surrounding it.
    I can smell spearmint that because of heavy spices and some other green notes has an exotic feeling.
    There is a sweet fruity smell beside these notes that smell more like dried fruits instead of fresh ones and give the scent more pleasant aroma, but more mysterious feeling as well!
    As time goes by the minty smell goes away and spices settle down and now I can smell more fruity smell plus that exotic herbal smell in the background.
    As I said before this fragrance remind me the smell of Many O'Driu fragrances (but safer against many of them!) and also I'm going to throw "Lush Breath of God's" name here too because they do have similarities as well.
    Projection is average and longevity is around 5-6 hours on my skin.
    I like it.

25th April, 2014

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

All the comparisons to Tiger Balm put me off trying this one for the longest time. However, it is one of those ‘it does smell like it and yet it doesn’t’ perfumes and I’m glad I broke through my reluctance.
    The main point of divergence is that Esprit du Tigre is light and airy (not unctuous and pore-cloggingly heavy like Tiger Balm). It is overdosed with clove but what a supple, almost green clove – not some garam masala disaster. The other spices all seem to be behind this radiant clove note, pushing it to the fore. The other bulwark is a camphor that is medicinal in a magickal kind of way rather than reminiscent of the sterile hospital ward. But the stroke of genius is the mint that breezes through this composition blending beautifully with the spiciness, bringing the breath of the outdoors and giving the whole thing lift.
    If Esprit du Tigre is a spice bomb, it’s one that explodes going ‘poof!’ or ‘voila!’ rather than ‘BLAM!’. I don’t particularly go for spicy perfumes, I don’t care much for clove or mint in my scents, but I still find Esprit du Tigre completely appealing.
    It has a pretty long evolution, transitioning first after a few hours into mainly a light and sweet clove before morphing into something oozing creamy soapiness that feels like being wrapped in a fluffy shawl.

24th April, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

I smell a lot of mint, pepper, camphor, so in short, as almost any other as already noted, a medicinal bomb. Still this is somehow fascinating, as it results in a fresh and green scent, with an exotic, spicy and balsamic twist - I do not know why, but the whole ensemble makes me think of some kind of a fin-de-siècle military red cross tent, somewhere in the middle of a desert war. The drydown tends more towards classic cologne notes - balsamic on woods.

7,5/10

20th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2014)

My_pep_pep's avatar

I love spices, and I love how this smells, but it's so light. It did last all day at work but I dumped a mostly full 1ml sample on myself and it was still really light, I'm not sure if anyone else could smell it. I could imagine times when I'd want something like that, but other better fragrances have higher priority. Great medicinal quality, though.....warm and a little bracing at the same time. Similar to real tiger balm but like someone else said, more refined.

12th November, 2012

easycesco's avatar

Odd and interesting perfume this one!
    Very refined version of the famous Tiger Balm, but not only that. The charming power of an old and mysterious medicinal remedy, with a warm spicy drydown!
    Great stuff!