Reviews of Idylle by Guerlain

Find out more about Idylle by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Claire811's avatar

Wow I absolutely LOVE this scent! It's divine!
    A gorgeous floral, soft, elegant and feminine.
    The delicious lily-of-the-valley (very prominent along with the rose in this scent) reminds me of Diorissimo, the drydown reminds me of Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDP (the rose-musk-patchouli combo), but much better, no syntethic smell, the musk and all the other notes are perfectly balanced.
    One of the best feminine scents around. My favorite along with Alien.
    If you love florals. this is a must have. Amazing and longlasting. Perfect scent in a beautiful bottle.
    I also recommend the EDT (more floral, sparkling and light) and the body lotion.
    P:S.: Men appreciate it very much, I always get many compliments ;-)

10th December, 2014

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

A very pleasant scent indeed. It should offend no one.

Enjoyable but not special enough to buy. Will enjoy my sample.

28th October, 2014

rbaker's avatar

Young floral

It is mainly the pretty combination of lily of the valley, peonie, freesias and somewhat artificial roses, lots of roses that I get here, with a hint of white musk in the drydown. A pleasant floral.

28th October, 2013

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Nouveau chypre

Poor Idylle is not greatly loved in the perfumista world but I believe it is widely popular with * normal * people.

There is a difference between the EDP and the EDT . I like both but I prefer the EDT.

EDT- This is basically more rose- beautiful sweet peony tinged rose. Very lasting for an EDT . It really rocked my boat when I smelt it. More so than the EDP .

The EDP is more fuzzy nouveau chypre ( a chypre for our times ) with a Guerlain touch in the drydown . It reminds me of Gucci by Gucci ( brown bottle - new version ) but with all the edges smoothed , powdered and Guerlainized . It has a 'chewy ' character- similar to the Gucci which makes it a nouveau chpyre. I wear Idylle once in a while but it starts to irritate me after a while. Longevity is excellent- lasting but subtle.

Pros: Guerlain Plushy Nouveau Chypre
    Cons: None"

20th September, 2013

odysseusm's avatar

This is a very pretty, gentle, young-style floral. Lots of roses in a big bouquet.
    Sweet, but that's no surprise. Soft musk, romantic and young at heart.
    Attractive, feminine.

27th September, 2012

zubi's avatar

Kenya Kenya

The bottle is interesting. It's been compared to chocolates, a bike saddle, golden drops, and an upside-down shoe heel. It is nice from far, but far from nice. In images it looks chic, in real life the plastic chips away and you realise that your diamond was actually a piece of glitter reflecting the sun. I am not shallow enough to judge a perfume by its bottle, but this little tidbit of information about the bottle runs parallel to my feelings on the juice itself.

Idylle starts with a fruit burst that is pretty yummy. I can definitely smell a soft white flower with that fruit - and then suddenly the fruit is gone (though it still wafts at times); closer to skin I can only smell a white floral. Whereas J'adore is classy and boring, this one is sparklier but soft (a white floral hater could love this). I do get aldehydes (or is this scent just hurting my nose with cheap synthetic ingredients?) and find this lovely and blended well. But that's just it - it's another Vera Wang (maybe more bold), J'adore (brighter), and Attimo, but with slightly different notes. I would even say it's got a lot of Miss Dior Cherie (vintage) - which may be why I like it - that raspberry note is probably the culprit. It is admittedly the best I have tried in my fruity floral range this week - but that is not saying much.

It's just another fruity floral for the young and/or unaware perfume admirer. It's a gorgeous one, but not memorable enough to keep. It does not deserve Guerlain's name on it! Some proper Guerlinade as a base (or anything a little more worth the high price of this fragrance) would have made this a keeper, or at least some sort of nod at the fact that this perfume house is full of classics. I understand they are trying a new direction, but then at least put some contrast to the notes, so my brain stays challenged. Contrast, people, contrast! Is that too much to ask?

Verdict: Yeah... No. If perfumes were actresses, this would be Jessica Simpson. I prefer me some Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie, and Audrey Hepburn, thank you.

11th August, 2012

Darvant's avatar

Idylle is a feminine musky-floral that smells to me pleasant, cool and elegant but that doesn't manage to tickle in the right way my taste and pleasure. I smell for long mainly petitgrain, lily and freesia and the chord is utterly sour and sharply fruity. In the first part of the development i smell a sort of lemony-orangy, grassy and lymphatic  sharpness than doesn't break my heart at all. Sliding the time the sharpness fades a bit and a softer and elegant rose turns out over a musky and mossy base that is able to tame, in its soft woodsy bed,  the bare accord of aqueous flowers and petitgrain and endly to soften the juice. Patchouli and rose arouse a discreet elegance and the smell holds on rosey and fruity till the end. I don't catch the presence of woods in the dry down. This scent is not a masterpiece, is a bit vague and too  easy, just a juice to feel yourself  clean and confortable in the day time at work or going around.

16th March, 2012 (Last Edited: 17th March, 2012)

WidgeryWinks's avatar

Starts out rose and jasmine but within 20 minutes it has turned on my skin to something sickly sweet and strong. So disappointing after such a promising start. I am overpowered. Perhaps this might work better in cool weather. It is not a summer fragrance for me.

02nd March, 2012

AndrewT's avatar

It starts softly, then rose gradually builds up, but there's more stuff in it. Idylle won't shout loud, its tone is soft but still quite assertive.

24th January, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

Idylle is pretty but not very memorable. After the scent had disappeared from my skin I found it hard to recall.

A nice and what I'd call, safe blend of predictable florals. I can't say that I got much in the way of a 'perfect rose fragrance', the rose was overshadowed by the lily and freesia notes. Its simplistic composition would smell wonderful as a bar of soap but in a fragrance this is far too linear and common.

I must agree that this a very classy floral, it certainly smells expensive, but I just can't help feeling disappointed and coming to the conclusion that Idylle lacks character. Nevertheless, the sillage and lasting strength is good, and although I don't think this will be an overly popular scent, I do appreciate it for all that it is.

15th June, 2011

Coco Belle's avatar

Rose, jasmine, maybe some ylang-ylang, with a soft patchouli underbelly that dries down into soft musk. Not groundbreaking, but easy to wear and enjoy for sure. There is no Guerlainade here, so don't wait for it to appear! I liked this, but not enough to buy a bottle. It doesn't have standout quality.

Great for summer and spring outings where you want something inoffensive but beautiful.

22nd March, 2011

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

A very charming easy-to-wear perfume! I have read that it is compared to Narsizo Rodrigues for Her and to SJP Lovely. Booth of them has been favourites of mine, and I can really understand why they are compared to Idylle. They sing the same sort of song. But if I would choose one of these three, it will absolutley be Idylle. It is the most beautiful of the three. NRfH is a little bit too sharp, and Lovely is a little bit too rough. Idylle is smoother, but is still having this lovely sort of sour tone as I sometimes can´t live without.

Idylle works well all year around, and is longlasting on my skin. It has a place in my wardrobe, and I can leave at least Narsizo Rodrigues for Her EdP.

The EdP of Idylle is the better one of it and the newly released EdT.

30th October, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2011)

Persevero's avatar

Strange that reviewers don't regard this as a chypre, because for me the citrus top-note is very striking (definitely petitgrain, perhaps neroli?) with a floral middle (mostly rose) and a sandalwoody base - that amounts to a chypre, non? After five hours it has faded to a dried-rose-plus-sandalwood and perhaps amber scent which is pleasant but unremarkable.

08th October, 2010

Doctor Mod's avatar

Like many other long-time Guerlain fans, I have been rather disappointed with some of the newer fragrances from the company, particularly the odd synthetic L'Instant and the fruit cocktail My Insolence. I like but don't love the now extinct Mahora, and I don't dislike (but don't wear) Champs-Elysee and Insolence. I think most of the Aqua Allegoria series (with the exception of Winter Delice) are unimpressive. Compared to other recent mainstream Guerlains, then, I think Idylle is certainly about the best--which does not necessarily mean that I intend to wear it myself.

What stands out for me most clearly is the muguet, followed by the rose and raspberry with the other florals blending nicely. It's obviously a well-crafted scent. Some have complained about a lack of originality, and it's true that Idylle is neither cutting-edge nor game-changing--no revolution in a bottle here--but that doesn't mean that it's without some very attractive qualities.

When I was much, much younger, I was quite fond of lily of the valley notes and occasionally wore Coty Muguet de Bois. While Idylle evokes memories of this old favorite (as it once was), it is a far, far richer and more luxurious perfume, perhaps the best muguet I've smelled, particularly with the complementary rose.

Even so, I can't see myself wearing this. Lily of the valley is, ultimately, too delicate a scent for a tall, big-boned, "statuesque" woman such as I, I think, and I can no longer wear it well. Still, I can think of women on whom Idylle would be downright drop-dead gorgeous.

05th September, 2010

umr's avatar

I adore the true Guerlain classics - Shalimar, Vol de Nuit and Mitsouko are my favourites - and I hated this. I can hardly believe it's made by the same house. It started off smelling vaguely rose-y but quickly became weirdly reminiscent of cheap 1970's musk perfumes. Fortunately for me it had little staying power. I won't bother with this one again and it doesn't bode well for the way Guerlain is going. They also seem to have discontinued most of the bath and body products in their classic fragrances in the UK which is a real shame as they were so luxurious.

04th June, 2010

Persolaise's avatar

When Idylle hit the shelves late in 2009, the response from Guerlain acolytes was muted. The realm of the soft-focus floral was, they felt, best reserved for flash-in-the-pan celebrity fragrances, not for one of the most revered perfume houses of all time. But Idylle isn't necessarily the sell-out some have claimed it to be and it deserves a second spray.

With astonishing diffusiveness, the scent plunges you headlong into the middle of a lush flower garden, where you can barely catch your breath long enough to take in the indolic notes that surround you. Jasmine, geranium, lily of the valley, ylang ylang. They all waft into view, managing to be both fresh and intoxicating, after which the real start emerges: a rounded rose, white and enticing, balanced by the faintest suggestion of delicate, petitgrain-like woods in the background. But it's at this point that Idylle almost collapses: the floral overload threatens to become headache-inducing; the heart yearns for a touch of something intriguing. Paradoxically, this is also the very moment when Thierry Wasser's effort demands a little more patience from our noses than most modern scents dare.

It stands to reason that an idyllic garden is a place where time is frozen. Sure enough, if you wait a tiny bit longer, the almost garish middle section of this scent finally softens and, more importantly, becomes drier. Guerlain have stated that Idylle displays a "chypre sensuality" - notice they haven't claimed it's an outright chypre - and you can feel the evidence in the drydown. Although the basic territory is still floral, the closing act - which seemingly lasts for ever - is arid and musky in a manner that may not exactly be elegant but is eminently wearable.

Although it's suitably multi-dimensional, Idylle is no masterpiece. It does not display the refinement or innovation of Guerlain's classics. But if you want to exploit its potential, treat it as a masculine. If Gaultier can pull it off with Fleur Du Male - and if trendy European guys can douse themselves with Anais Anais - there's no reason why Idylle can't have the same impact.

UPDATE OCTOBER 2010: The newly released eau de toilette is sold as a softer, "more feminine" version of the edp, and in a sense, this isn't far from the truth. The floral bouquet and the citrus undertone are, indeed, granted greater prominence, but they're my least favourite aspects of the scent anyway. I prefer the ambery-mossy conclusion, which is distinctly suppressed in the edt, creating an effect that I find 'girly' rather than feminine.

09th May, 2010 (Last Edited: 17th October, 2010)

BayKAT's avatar

I like this.

No, it's not a chypre, i agree. Yes, it is a floral; a soft, very rosey one.
    All I can say is: I very much enjoy my own company when I'm wearing this scent. Is it complex? Nope. Is it ground breaking? Nope. Is it original? Nope again.

This is just a high quality, sophisticated floral that you could easily wear to work, as you would not have to spend one second wondering if your scent was too strong or offensive.

This is what i would wear to a dinner party, or to the ballet, movie, gathering, etc. etc.
    It's a respectable, conservative, classy fragrance.

03rd May, 2010

's avatar

To begin with, I have to confess that I'm a die-heart Guerlain fan- and wouldn't consider the past Guerlain creations "stinkers" (see W3pearl's review!).

As a fan, I am disappointed with this creation. The entire scent is centred around a rose-theme done so much better before in Nahema in 1979. This time, in Idylle, we perceive a light, modern sweet rose quietly resting on a bed of other fragrant flowers and creating a light whisper of a scent, a pleasant little tune, something which won't bore you stiff but which won't move you either. I would compare this creation to the weaker compositions of Haydn, which are sugary-sweet but lacking depth and are inferior to Mozart because of their shallowness.

Obviously, Guerlain finally decided to market their more daring creations in their special boutiques only. The mass market fragrance Idylle might turn into a success, because its polished, flowery surface won't offend anybody and the marketing campaign is clever (the flacon is pretty, too). I will certainly not purchase this one, saving up my money for a bottle of vintage Mitsouko.

20th March, 2010

mikeperez23's avatar

Idylle, the brand new feminine from Guerlain, is not a chypre - regardless of what Guerlain’s marketing says.

Okay. I said it.

Nonetheless it is a sweet, fruity musky rose – one that plays hard-to-get: a handwritten love letter, written on thick stationary that fades away quickly, as if written with invisible ink.

The bottle is gorgeous: a hybrid of a miniature genie’s lamp and some sort of bronze plated onion. The glossy, metallic finish (pink gold?) contrasts with the gently tinted glass bottle and rotating it in light it gives off an optical illusion…tiny, gold bubbles appear to be floating inside the bottle. Even the atomizer is strangely ‘invisible’ - only visible when you hold it up to the light. It feels expensive and luxurious in your hands – the attention to the littlest of details is evident in all of the marketing/branding.

Idylle begins with a rose note wrapped up in a varnish-like aldehydic mixture of sweet and dusty nuances. For the new few minutes the scent simultaneously gets fruitier and the florals became more sharply focused – which start to balance out the sweetness and add depth and fullness. The sweet facet is not an edible sweetness – I’m overjoyed that it avoids smelling like a dessert (or a flavorant). The fruity aspect confuses me, since the pyramid lists no fruit notes yet an acidity exists…on the edges of the rose: a hazy, stone-fruit-like juiciness mixed with a tart, berry-like smell that mixes perfectly with the rose and freesia (I smell very little lily of the valley). The mixture conjures up a very vivid fruit/floral, sweet/sour, yin/yang combination – like some futuristic, Asian, hard candy that keeps changing flavor as it dissolves in your mouth. It’s fascinating.

Nonetheless, all I kept thinking while this hummed along on my skin was, ‘So… when am I going to smell a chypre?’ As I mentioned, it doesn’t smell like a chypre. The Guerlain chypres I love (Mitsouko, Chant de Aromes, Derby) capture so well that vibrational mix of citrus, resins and oak moss – an obvious element that is absent in Idylle. Instead the musk base that the scent relies upon, supporting the florals and fruit, is missing a strength or solidity that chypres exhibit. In addition, musk heavy floral fragrances instantly smell feminine on me(and I hate using gender to describe a fragrance), but I smell Idylle and I imagine: boudoirs, lingerie, a woman at her wardrobe…the like.

Yet it still maintains a sexy, sultry aura – which is probably the image Guerlain was trying to convey, in the advertising. They succeeded! Not smutty – but a scent that draws you in flirtatiously with small, tiny details. And it lingers. Until all of a sudden, it up and disappears. When it is gone, it is totally gone. I am not sure if this is because of my musk anosmia (is there a lingering base note that I just cannot smell?) or the scent – or maybe skin chemistry. I tried spraying lightly and heavily – either way, the longevity of the scent was only about 6-7 hours. Sillage, though, is very strong. Strategically applied, this is one scent that I will enjoy smelling in the air, on the right woman.

Me, I’ll stick with my Mitsouko. :)

13th February, 2010

w3pearl's avatar

all the criticism !!!

all I can say--- finally Guerlain gave up creating stinkers! I'm not saying they were all bad, cause they may cause nice memmories and olfactive experiences to some, but I still think they smell very unpleasent, most of them. Stinky! Only nostalgia of the past time makes them still sell today, not the smell itself, sory!

This perfume, Idylle, smells good, it's a very well made, romantic fragrance. The first real good smelling perfume from this stinker-house. A very promissing start, I can;t wait for the mext one. I'm giving this perfume 4 stars out of five. It's very good and romantic, and it is a little new thing in it, you all gotta admit it--- the lilly stands out very shiny from under the weight of the rose. And the lilac is not "choked" into a cloud of unbearable sweetness. And yes, this IS new. And positive. A new era began for Guerlain, and I like it.

31st January, 2010