Neutral Reviews of Idylle by Guerlain

Find out more about Idylle by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

Young floral

It is mainly the pretty combination of lily of the valley, peonie, freesias and somewhat artificial roses, lots of roses that I get here, with a hint of white musk in the drydown. A pleasant floral.

28 October, 2013

odysseusm's avatar

This is a very pretty, gentle, young-style floral. Lots of roses in a big bouquet.
    Sweet, but that's no surprise. Soft musk, romantic and young at heart.
    Attractive, feminine.

27 September, 2012

Darvant's avatar

Idylle is a feminine musky-floral that smells to me pleasant, cool and elegant but that doesn't manage to tickle in the right way my taste and pleasure. I smell for long mainly petitgrain, lily and freesia and the chord is utterly sour and sharply fruity. In the first part of the development i smell a sort of lemony-orangy, grassy and lymphatic  sharpness than doesn't break my heart at all. Sliding the time the sharpness fades a bit and a softer and elegant rose turns out over a musky and mossy base that is able to tame, in its soft woodsy bed,  the bare accord of aqueous flowers and petitgrain and endly to soften the juice. Patchouli and rose arouse a discreet elegance and the smell holds on rosey and fruity till the end. I don't catch the presence of woods in the dry down. This scent is not a masterpiece, is a bit vague and too  easy, just a juice to feel yourself  clean and confortable in the day time at work or going around.

16 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2012)

WidgeryWinks's avatar

Starts out rose and jasmine but within 20 minutes it has turned on my skin to something sickly sweet and strong. So disappointing after such a promising start. I am overpowered. Perhaps this might work better in cool weather. It is not a summer fragrance for me.

02 March, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

Idylle is pretty but not very memorable. After the scent had disappeared from my skin I found it hard to recall.

A nice and what I'd call, safe blend of predictable florals. I can't say that I got much in the way of a 'perfect rose fragrance', the rose was overshadowed by the lily and freesia notes. Its simplistic composition would smell wonderful as a bar of soap but in a fragrance this is far too linear and common.

I must agree that this a very classy floral, it certainly smells expensive, but I just can't help feeling disappointed and coming to the conclusion that Idylle lacks character. Nevertheless, the sillage and lasting strength is good, and although I don't think this will be an overly popular scent, I do appreciate it for all that it is.

15 June, 2011

's avatar

To begin with, I have to confess that I'm a die-heart Guerlain fan- and wouldn't consider the past Guerlain creations "stinkers" (see W3pearl's review!).

As a fan, I am disappointed with this creation. The entire scent is centred around a rose-theme done so much better before in Nahema in 1979. This time, in Idylle, we perceive a light, modern sweet rose quietly resting on a bed of other fragrant flowers and creating a light whisper of a scent, a pleasant little tune, something which won't bore you stiff but which won't move you either. I would compare this creation to the weaker compositions of Haydn, which are sugary-sweet but lacking depth and are inferior to Mozart because of their shallowness.

Obviously, Guerlain finally decided to market their more daring creations in their special boutiques only. The mass market fragrance Idylle might turn into a success, because its polished, flowery surface won't offend anybody and the marketing campaign is clever (the flacon is pretty, too). I will certainly not purchase this one, saving up my money for a bottle of vintage Mitsouko.

20th March, 2010

mikeperez23's avatar

Idylle, the brand new feminine from Guerlain, is not a chypre - regardless of what Guerlain’s marketing says.

Okay. I said it.

Nonetheless it is a sweet, fruity musky rose – one that plays hard-to-get: a handwritten love letter, written on thick stationary that fades away quickly, as if written with invisible ink.

The bottle is gorgeous: a hybrid of a miniature genie’s lamp and some sort of bronze plated onion. The glossy, metallic finish (pink gold?) contrasts with the gently tinted glass bottle and rotating it in light it gives off an optical illusion…tiny, gold bubbles appear to be floating inside the bottle. Even the atomizer is strangely ‘invisible’ - only visible when you hold it up to the light. It feels expensive and luxurious in your hands – the attention to the littlest of details is evident in all of the marketing/branding.

Idylle begins with a rose note wrapped up in a varnish-like aldehydic mixture of sweet and dusty nuances. For the new few minutes the scent simultaneously gets fruitier and the florals became more sharply focused – which start to balance out the sweetness and add depth and fullness. The sweet facet is not an edible sweetness – I’m overjoyed that it avoids smelling like a dessert (or a flavorant). The fruity aspect confuses me, since the pyramid lists no fruit notes yet an acidity exists…on the edges of the rose: a hazy, stone-fruit-like juiciness mixed with a tart, berry-like smell that mixes perfectly with the rose and freesia (I smell very little lily of the valley). The mixture conjures up a very vivid fruit/floral, sweet/sour, yin/yang combination – like some futuristic, Asian, hard candy that keeps changing flavor as it dissolves in your mouth. It’s fascinating.

Nonetheless, all I kept thinking while this hummed along on my skin was, ‘So… when am I going to smell a chypre?’ As I mentioned, it doesn’t smell like a chypre. The Guerlain chypres I love (Mitsouko, Chant de Aromes, Derby) capture so well that vibrational mix of citrus, resins and oak moss – an obvious element that is absent in Idylle. Instead the musk base that the scent relies upon, supporting the florals and fruit, is missing a strength or solidity that chypres exhibit. In addition, musk heavy floral fragrances instantly smell feminine on me(and I hate using gender to describe a fragrance), but I smell Idylle and I imagine: boudoirs, lingerie, a woman at her wardrobe…the like.

Yet it still maintains a sexy, sultry aura – which is probably the image Guerlain was trying to convey, in the advertising. They succeeded! Not smutty – but a scent that draws you in flirtatiously with small, tiny details. And it lingers. Until all of a sudden, it up and disappears. When it is gone, it is totally gone. I am not sure if this is because of my musk anosmia (is there a lingering base note that I just cannot smell?) or the scent – or maybe skin chemistry. I tried spraying lightly and heavily – either way, the longevity of the scent was only about 6-7 hours. Sillage, though, is very strong. Strategically applied, this is one scent that I will enjoy smelling in the air, on the right woman.

Me, I’ll stick with my Mitsouko. :)

13 February, 2010