Neutral Reviews of Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal

At first sniff, it's clear to me that this is a fig scent. Therefore, I will judge it based on how well it achieved its figginess.

The purpose here seems to be replication of a meditteranean garden with fig and citrus trees. The citrus notes help tremendously, but sadly the fig accord is not a very realistic one. I could easily tell that it was a benzoin or perhaps a massoia substitution.

Sorry, Annick Goutal, but Philosykos still wins.
16th May, 2015
Genre: Green Floral

Annick Goutal does green well, as evidenced by Le Chèvrefeuille, Folavril, and Eau du Ciel. Ninféo Mio is green indeed, and smells mostly of bitter galbanum, petitgrain, and tomato leaf, set beside a quiet, clean white floral bouquet on a background of powdery laundry detergent musk. There is a brisk camphoraceous top note, and a few herbaceous accents flit past during the middle section, but the scent’s trajectory is mostly linear. As for the fig in ht epyramid: what fig? At no point does Ninféo Mio warm up or soften on my skin, and in its starchy, cold, and immaculate demeanor, it feels almost like a postmodern answer to White Linen.

Ninféo Mio is potent and tenacious, with a chemical edge that leaves it smelling a bit too much like a household cleaner or hair care product for my comfort. The chemical harshness notwithstanding, I actually rather like the way Ninféo Mio smells - just not the way it smells on a person. I think it might work better as a candle or a room spray than a perfume.
21st June, 2014
The initial impression was: Annick Goutal’s attempt to give an eau de cologne a fig twist. Perhaps this is a bit unfair as the lemon at the start is gloriously juicy and a cut above standard issue colognes. Also the lasting power is decent, even if I did have to apply liberally to get it to project. Nothing wrong with the fig leaf note either...
And yet this fails to lift above the merely pleasant. It may wow those who have never encountered fig leaf in perfumery, but will do little for fig veterans. The fig-lemon pairing has its intended refreshing effect and seems natural and unforced. But as with all citruses, the lemon eventually fades and then one is left with a rather nondescript fig leaf with woodsy backing and some chemicals that continue to chirp ‘Fresh, fresh, fresh’. Good for hot weather.
29th August, 2012

The opening notes of Ninfeo Mio are incredibly juicy! Lemony citrus and verbena, fresh leaves and galbanum and a fig that develops a milky note as the scent dries down. What's left then is a nutty coconut smell caused by the milky fig and some sharp dry wood notes which often gets on my nerves and into my nose.
Longevitiy is average as you know from other Annick Goutal fragrances and it quickly becomes a skin scent.
Ninfeo Mio works on me but I can understand other reviewers who say it develops weirdly on them which I think is due to the sharp woody notes in the base that have the potential to smell sweaty when in combination with the wrong skin chemistry. So sample this first!
08th May, 2012 (last edited: 29th July, 2012)
I can't really make up my mind on Ninfeo Mio. There are some aspects that I really love about this one i.e. the opening is pleasantly fresh with a lot of lemon and citrus magistrally balanced with bitter fig and fig leaves, but on the other hand, in the drydown the milky note and creamy wood dominate the whole fragrance in a bad way. Actually i quite like how it smells but can't immagine it on my skin. I like it on paper anyway!
05th March, 2011 (last edited: 04th April, 2011)
Petitgrain Pain, Pure and Plain.

I have not yet learned to love Petitgrain, and on me Ninfeo Mio is a plentiful petitgrain profusion.

I spray "NM" and for half an hour I get a confused citrus jumble, then the "Big P" comes in: Powerful, Propulsive, and Prodigious.

It smells high quality but far too intense to be pleasant. The chemical quality is overwhelming-- like an industrial detergent, or a scouring agent for the sinuses.

I don't blame "NM", I blame myself-- my lack of experience/sophistication, my personal chemistry, what have you.

If you're a Petitgrain Purist, you'll be in a pleasant and plentiful paradise.

If you're a Petitgrain Penitent, you'll be persecuted, punished, and probably polished off.

13th July, 2010
Starts off in HG territory for me, with the greenest of green openings, featuring mint, leaves, citrus rind, and just a hint of fig. As the lovely mint quickly fades, the fig grows but thankfully never becomes milky. After a few minutes, it turns into a figgy Pamplelune. Now, I love Pamplelune. But it does lend itself to the dreaded armpit note, as does this fragrance. If I just think of it as boxwood, I'm happier. Love boxwood. But in the end, you do have to have a high tolerance for skank to enjoy this scent. I'm remaining on the fence for now.
07th June, 2010