Reviews

Reviews of Kanøn Norwegian Wood by Kanon

Sweet sandalwood galore

Thinking of Norway brings to my mind vast expanses of coniferous trees that extend far towards the horizon. The pine, fir, spruce and juniper scents filling the air, but NOOOOOOOOO, with Norwegian Wood I get sandalwood.. Sandalwood grows mainly in India, doesn't it? Why isn't it called Indian Wood instead?

Because Kanøn is suppossed to "sound" scandinavian? (it is made in America, so it is as scandinavian as Häagen-Dazs for crying out loud). At any rate, I was looking for a coniferous type of scent to find out it is a very, very sweet sandalwood scent.

The opening is slightly citric that turns woody almost immediately. Unequivocally sandalwood and this is the best part of the fragrance, but soon it goes too sweet for my taste. Vanilla is present by the bushels, but it is not mentioned in the pyramid. Starts very masculine, but I am not that sure about the drydown.

I cannot rate this perfume too high, its name is deceptive IMO and it is too sweet. I like it better than Kanøn by Kanøn, but way behind Agarwood by Kanøn

Pros: Masculine opening, cheap, pleasant
Cons: Poor sillage and longevity

17th June, 2013
For the price ($7.00 at marshallls), this is not bad at all. It starts out with light wood scent that reminds me of pencil shavings from a pencil sharpner. It eventually turns to a light vanilla smell which is very faint. The projection and longevity are weak. This is more of a summer scent.

For the price, you can't go wrong checking this out!
26th November, 2012
7 bucks at TJ Maxx...

Best 7 bucks I ever spent - other than that one time in Jamaica.

Nutmeg and Vanilla with a bit of musk. It makes the wife cough, but I draw compliments every time it leaves the house with me. Very versatile, and with the fall approaching, i can see this one getting some evening wear around fire pits and outdoor parites that involve beer and steak.

Great patio scent that I will always have on hand until my demise.
12th October, 2012
Tony T Show all reviews
i wore it to work today and i did not notice it. very faint light vanilla mixed with light woods. great for a teenager but not for a 30 year old with fragrance expierence.
09th October, 2012
Don't laugh at me. This just became my first blind buy (and this is my first review). I was looking for something light to wear at work. Additionally, strong fragrances don't play nice with my wife, triggering headaches for her. From the reviews, KNW seemed to fit the bill.

I have to say I like it. It's a little sweet and citrusy initially, but in a short time it mellows into a nice woody vanilla scent that's perfect for work. It's pretty much a skin scent, it seems. I'm figuring that it's not going to last all day on me, but I can live with that. I can always reapply, right?

For $7 at TJ Maxx, what's not to like?
21st September, 2012 (last edited: 25th September, 2012)
This is definitely a close up scent with very good longevity...a kind of light at the ocean oriental lotion by the end of the day.

Sandalwood indeed...the nutmeg hit me early on...a sort of drier, restrained vanilla that makes this one a winner.
24th July, 2012 (last edited: 25th November, 2014)
SANDALWOOD

NUTMEG

VANILLA.

That's all there is to it. Yes this does smell good in my opinion but where it really shines is the price to value ratio. I bought this for $7 and have received compliments on it from men and women. It is not one of my favorites but it does its job well. If you are looking for a cheapie for fall this is it. Projection, silage, and longevity are average.

7 out of 10.
04th January, 2012
It is a very effective and classy room spray - It smells like a beautiful, open cedar cabin in the mountains on a sunny winter day after it snowed. Bright and uplifting, but sweet and warm. Too one dimensional and cheap smelling for a personal fragrance, however. Additionally, it smells TERRIBLE on my skin. Much better on drapes. :)
22nd November, 2011
Lush Show all reviews
I get some bergamont and lavender on top, then a little cedar, then maybe--just maybe--a hint of vanilla and spice in the base. The whole experience lasts less than an hour for me, but others say they can smell it a couple of hours after application.

Not worth the $6.99 I paid at Ross.
13th November, 2011
As others have mentioned this can be a cheap gem if bought at a local discount department store. It goes for about 3x the price online though and still gets good reviews.

The woodsy note really hits strong when you first spray it but it dies down and becomes enjoyable. Give it some time before you judge it, about 30min or so.

What I smell is:

Light Wood
Vanilla
Citrus (just a hint)

It does have some spice to it so it's not just a flat fragerance of the above mentioned notes, that's probably the result of the above combination.

While some may call this sweet this doesn't mean it's the sugary sweet feminine scent that you get with unisex frangrances, it is definately masculine.

Projection is at most about a foot from the skin so this isn't a crazy nightclub powerhouse fragrance, more of an enjoyable daytime scent. Would work for nights out at a beach bar though. This can be a great summer scent that isn't the usual "aqua" or "sport" which is what most guys will probably be wearing - Yawn. . .

Longevity isn't bad at all, have been wearing it more and have noticed it will last about 6hrs on me.

Would definately buy again!
28th June, 2011 (last edited: 05th July, 2011)
Surprisingly good fragrance, and to get it for under ten dollars is just unheard of. I remember wearing the original Kanøn way back in the 70's, and I liked it a lot at the time. I picked this up on a blind buy and I'm glad I did. As The_Cologneist said, this is sandalwood through and through, and sandalwood just happens to be one of my favorite scents, too. Wow, it's good. I've only been wearing it a short while, but I can tell this is going to be one of my favorites. Thumbs up.
24th June, 2011
SIMPLE

LIGHT

SWEET

WOODS

NUTMEG

These five words are all you really need in the review, and I shouldn't still be typing and you shouldn't still be reading.

Allright, I guess I can't dissuade you, so here are a few more words that reiterate my point.
Kanøn Norwegian Wood is very light, very simple, and perfect for work. It's so simple that it makes it's fellow countrymen, Geir, seem complex and enigmatic. Speaking of Gier, KNW definitely shares that freshness-in-winter vibe that Geir seems to have, except Geir does it in a winterfresh way (lulwut). I suppose I should mention that there are hints of vanilla and even smaller hints of patchouli in KNW, but they're so subtle that they don't get to be included in the important words at the top.
23rd January, 2011
Bah, I don't like this one anymore - the combination of nutmeg and vanilla over the sandalwood gives off a very weird chemical odor not unlike nail polish or a Sharpie marker.
16th January, 2011 (last edited: 29th April, 2011)
Very dissapointed with this. I need to try it again and wear it for a week if I can stand it. Smells exactly like Jafra JF9 Black, Jafra is like Avon, product quality is OK but not WOW. Weak with a nutmeggy twist, kinda sweet. Wanna thumb it down but will be patient. Barely neutral, definately not recommended.
10th September, 2010
I got a 3.3 oz bottle of this stuff @ Ross for 6.99 a couple days ago, and I gotta admit... it's good stuff. Me.. I'm a HUGEEEE sandalwood fan, and those of us who love sandalwood may be particularly picky on how it smells. I like my sandalwood to smell very natural and sweet. Tam Dao is a great example of what sandalwood in a frag should be to me. Kanon NW does a fantastic job on this one. I've seen Kanon online for low prices, but thought it was just some cheap crap, I bought this completely blind, knowing nothing about the house, the notes, or reading any reviews on here. I guess it's a new fragrance (2010). At first spray, all I can think of is Tam Dao, and a few weeks ago I was asking for a cheap Tam Dao alternative in the forums. My only complaint is that longevity is really bad. I get like 2-3 hours tops. It's a pretty linear scent that starts off like sweet sandalwood with a natural feeling and smell, then becomes a little more of a synthetic smelling sweet sandalwood and smells a little bit soapy. For the most part though, its a sandalwood and cedar fragrance. A hell of a deal @ 6.99 and an acceptable Tam Dao alternative.
30th May, 2010
Slightly sweet at first but mellows into a constant woodsy drone. A light light woods that good for warm days and those people that need to have something else besides a fresh, clean aquatic.
19th April, 2010
Slightly sweeter than the original, with less of a powdery smelling dry-down on my skin. Very warm, woody scent is present after about two hours. This wears close to the body, and in my opinion makes a good day-to-day cologne. It lasts a long time too- I've had it on for 6 hours now, and can still smell it.
03rd March, 2010