Negative Reviews of Marine Groove by Escada

Find out more about Marine Groove by Escada in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

WardrobeMistress's avatar

I'm approaching my sample with some trepidation...I've never tried an Escada before and I have to say that the packaging is about as cheap and tacky as it gets. None the less I am doing my best to approach with an open mind...

And ye Gods it's sweet...sweet like a strawberry-scented plastic dolls head. Seriously, all I am getting for an opener is strawberry, and it's not a ripe, warmed by the sun strawberry, it's unashamedly synthetic. After ten minutes or so I'm starting to feel a touch of slightly sour passionfruit. This phase is actually much more enjoyable, it's odd that such a true passionfruit should be combined with such an artificial strawberry and I want to shout at that plastic-dolly-strawberry "Oi you, clear off !" So that I can enjoy that sharp passionfruit in peace. Sadly, it doesn't appear to be listening and just keeps hanging around like the proverbial bad smell. I still have no jasmine, I still have no musk. Paeony? Well perhaps. To be honest I'm not sure, I have grown peonies in my garden for many years and find their scent barely perceptible so I'm not sure I would recognise it. Perhaps it's there, somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it smothered under that nauseating plastic strawberry syrup blanket.

I'm quite surprised at this being marketed as a Summer scent, I can't think of anything worse on a hot day than smelling like a melted strawberry chew from the pick n' mix that's melted & stuck to the hot tarmac.

No No No No No.

26 April, 2011

eris's avatar

Smelled this all day every day on one of my friends for quite a long while there. A linear, unimaginative fruity floral that is unapologetically sweet. To be honest, there is just one note, and that note--to my nose, at least--is passion fruit. Simple and appealing...at least for the first hour or so. I should probably admit that if I hadn't been quite so overexposed to it, it may have gone Neutral instead of Thumbs Down.

05 February, 2011