Positive Reviews of Guerlain Homme Intense by Guerlain

Fresh, conservative and elegant.

Guerlain Homme Intense initially seems generic, and I was going to dismiss it as a typical designer fragrance, but then the genius of creating something mainstream but of quality shows through. Not everyone wants to smell like an Arabian prince, melting plastic, a Catholic priest, a leather sofa or a pair of used gigolo's underwear!

To me it has a really nice opening Caipirinha (rather than Mojito) vibe, with dominant lime, rum and brown sugar notes, which then moves into something more aromatic, like a modern fougere (but please excuse me if this is a completely inaccurate use of the term). Here more herbs and florals emerge with the mint emerging from beneath the lime, blending with what must be the geranium and perhaps subtle lavender. It then moves smoothly to a nice green vetiver and woody cedar base with a hint of sweetness.

Again, I'm sure many experts would disagree with me, but I think this would be a good (more modern and wearable) replacement for Rive Gauche. To be honest, I'm not sure I'll buy another bottle of this as I don't need 'safe' fragrances, but I'll definitely enjoy it while I've got it. Thumbs up!
08th July, 2015
Salutation.

When i was in the perfumery for test this one i saw one lady who was disheveled after test a lot of male fragrances but when she tried it immediate scream:WOW this is my favorite for my lover. Great product and great texture.in my mind most intense fragrances are double better than original version and this one is really better than GURLAIN HOMME too.

GUERLAIN HOMME INTENSE is one of those fragrances that announces your arrival before you even enter the room!top notes of mint and rhubarb fade into a warm heart of floral notes and rum and the base includes a unique blend of vetiver,patchouli and cedar.drydown it has a woodsy feel which is great and amazing.

Powerful,Woody,Charismatic,Classy, Artistic and long lasting.in fact it has more charisma and oomph than original version.This EDP is a perfect fragrance for OFFICE,because it makes you feel competent and strong.it is great for AUTUMN weather and one of the best in the last years from GUERLAIN this great perfume house.

Sillage?Excellent

Longevity?About 12 hours on my skin.

13th June, 2015
Guerlain Homme Intense is one of those scents which seem deceptively “generic”, while instead scream quality and class like a very few others. All is quality for me here: the materials, the composition, the evolution. Still keeping it incredibly versatile and crowdpleasing. You can enjoy a crisp office scent without caring about its subtle superb quality, or you can dive into it and amaze yourself with Guerlain’s heritage on display – because, yes, Guerlain Homme Intense still belongs to “the great Guerlain’s” (unlike, for instance, L’Homme Idéale). Citrus, bergamot, bracing mint and its floral counterpart – geranium, other floral notes, bitter grass, a crunchy rhubharb note, a drop of rhum, sharp cozy woods. Dozens of mainstream green-woody perfumes feature these same notes, but what once was “the Guerlain treatment” brings them all up to another level here. Which is the realm of pure understated elegance. You just have to smell this to get what I mean. It’s a matter of radiance, richness, a perfect balance of realisticness, deepness and “polished” cleanliness. Then, all nuances are just so deep and sparkling, morphing and evolving under your nose, in a subtle but totally perceivable way.

Homme Intense starts with a bracing, invigorating and fresh slap of citrus, mint and grassy notes, then slowly revealing a warmer heart of rhum, geranium, pepper and woods, slowly drifting to an incredibly refined drydown which features a throwback in time – a really old-school, top notch quality smoky-salty vetiver note. Which is dry and woody, but perfectly enriched by rhum and made greener by a nondescript sort of bracing grassy-floral accord. All – I mean, all! – of these notes, try to imagine them in the best quality and crispness possible, blended together in a bright, cozy blend fitting you like a bespoke suit. Pure delight. The texture is clean and transparent, mostly green-woody with a slightly more unusual palette of nuances – rhum, rhubarb, a slight earthy-vegetable feel reminding me of good old Coriolan... Everything is perfectly safe and classic, even slightly formal, yet perfectly contemporary, as an everyday fragrance for “the modern elegant men” is meant to be. Fresh and sensual. This is my idea of modern luxury in a bottle; high quality and discreet elegance – and don’t have me started speaking about quality versus price, ‘cause the price of Guerlain Homme Intense makes any other self-claimed “luxury” scent look more ridicoulous than they already are. The only flaw of this fragrance is that maybe it is... a tad really too “apparently-generic” to be appreciated as it deserves. If I was more presumptuous I would rate this “for connoisseurs only”, but – aside from being uselessly pretentious – that wouldn’t do justice to the versatility and the positive “crowdpleasing” nature of this fragrance. Just, don’t underrate this.

8-8,5/10
18th April, 2015 (last edited: 01st June, 2015)

Marais Show all reviews
Every dog has its day

A lot of Guerlainophiles have expressed disappointment with the Homme line, seeing it as some sort of aberration unworthy of the Guerlain name. Well, I (partially) beg to differ, although I won't argue that this is in the first rank of their scents. It must be a big seller; within 5 years of launch of the original Guerlain Homme, it has spawned 3 flankers, so Thierry Wasser must be doing something right.

Anyway, what we have is a safe, easy-to-wear, versatile scent that suits all ages. There is nothing in the least challenging about it. Does this make it boring? Yes, a bit. But sometimes boring is good. It's the sort of scent you can wear in situations where you don't want to draw attention to yourself; for example, meetings where action plans are drawn up and tasks assigned. Let's face it, we all have days when we don't want to smell like a French tart, BDSM addict, or rotting vegetation.

This is where the Guerlain Homme line steps in. And the lack of olfactory interest is compensated for by the fact that what we do have smells pretty good. As far as the 'Intense' flanker goes, there's some lime at the open, lots of grapefruit, mint for the first couple of hours (the best part I think), something boozy that's supposed to smell like rum but doesn't really, and some non-specific woody notes in the base. Overall, this one smells less airy and deeper and darker than the rest of the line. No detectable Guerlinade, but that's not compulsory anyway. I get good longevity; about 8 hours from 5 sprays.

So there you have it, a good everyday scent, earning a good 4 star rating.

Pros: Better then adequate
Cons: Less than stellar"

08th October, 2013
Masterpiece

Overtime, a glorious Guerlain for men. Fresh without being corny, fine without being cutesy, elegant while being modern. A juice very versatile which shows that Guerlain is still able to make excellent perfumes. It beats 90% of niche fragrances. To have, do not ever get tired.

19th September, 2013
Neo-Guerlain at it's finest.

This is a crowd-pleaser that stands out from what you usually encounter in public places of major cities. Inoffensive and safe, it's great at the office or the night out. It's not the type of cologne that would overpower your meal and/or date, while it quietly lingers for hours. I picture this best at a lounge bar terrace, on a breezy summer night. I would suggest this one for those who hold Bleu de Chanel in high esteem and wish a similar strikingly modern offering from Guerlain. Intense is my preferred choice amongst the Guerlain Homme series.

Pros: Unique crowd-pleaser.
Cons: Guerlinade not included."

31st August, 2013
Actually this is only a bit stronger than the regular one, with some notes added that did not change much the original smell. The mint, the rum and some florals gives an edge.
It has more lasting power (around 8 hours).
Smells nice as the others from this line.
Worth it? If price aint a issue, then absolutely.
20th December, 2012 (last edited: 02nd March, 2013)
cerjr Show all reviews
Picked this up in Italy after not being able to find a confident seller in the USA, and man am I glad I did.

The positive reviews on this site were what led me to grab it when I saw it, and I was not disappointed.

Amazing fragrance. Strong lime opening with a solid masculine base. I wish this would last more than half the day though, which is my only disappointment when compared to other Guerlain fragrances.
16th November, 2012
FISS80 Show all reviews
Great Juice!! Very sexy and classy. Another great fragrance from the Guerlain house
12th March, 2012
Didn't know what to expect with this one as I've never smelled the original. The opening is STRONG! This has a fantastic mojito accord and even though it's strong I couldn't get enough of it. The rum note dies off quick and what your left with through the heart are the minty/rhubarb notes of the opening with the woods taking center stage along with a bit of patchouli. The drydown is all woods and patchouli and a very nice one at that. Projection and longevity are average to good. Great fragrance.
05th December, 2011
Such a fun fragrance. It's like fruity rum with woody base. Very nice, with a touch of sweetness.

Very cool!
23rd October, 2011 (last edited: 18th June, 2012)
Amazing scent. Rhubarb, Rum, and some mint. A little bit of mojito sets this off. This scent is amazing. The original and this one have some issues with projection and longevity, but anyone that gets up close to me loves this scent.
19th October, 2011
Remove the original Homme's sugarcane note and powdery texture, and weaken the mojito accord. Now add wood and rhubarb to the base and a dash of L'instant, and you now have Homme Intense.

Darker, boozier, and woodier than the original. I like them both equally. I wear Homme during the day, and Homme Intense in the evenings.
26th September, 2011 (last edited: 07th July, 2014)

Short review: not ground breaking in the top notes, but marvellous in the mid and the base notes. Is there hints of the Guerlinade in it? No, I don't think so. This does not diminish its allure, despite its lack of projection and longevity.

Not liked by purists, indeed by me.
28th July, 2011
Intense is probably the fragrance that the original should have been. It solves the problem of the longevity, and offers greater consistency and cohesion during the various phases of development.

The top notes still evoke the interesting mojito note, but it is one of the few areas where the original is superior. Intense remains subdued as it develops a soft chocolate quality pre-empting the heavier wood phase to come. The dense wood presence could easily have swamped the whole fragrance, but it remains sufficiently tethered to offer an excellent finish. The bold tonka note also forces Intense to dry down with significant warmth.

More of a true Guerlain than the original, but still some way short of the greats.
25th April, 2011
Imagine laying on a sunchair in a green garden, the grass has just been freshly cut and you're sipping on a refreshing mojito, cooling you from the hot sun. Guerlain Homme Intense reminds me of exactly this, refreshing, cool, and uplifting. This is one of my favourite fragrances I own. Double thumbs up!
08th February, 2011
Having been in the seeming minority, I actually really like the original version of Guerlain Homme. The Intense version is a bit of a departure, but not by far and is equally as satisfying as its predecessor. It opens with a similar fresh, fruity rhubarb mint accord, but is at once a heavier fragrance. The mojito has been spiked with a few more flowers, geranium and dark rum in the heart, and the base notes (being much more pronounced in the intense version) lean much more toward the tonka bean although they are rounded by the woodiness of patchouli, cedar and rooty type vetiver.

All in all, a hit for me!
03rd November, 2010
Fabuloous!! Yes Fabuloous!! Very earthy yet fragrant. Good Sillage, not excellent. I've never smelt anything else like it. Ha! Not black but brown. Some people can't handle brown. Try it , and have fun!!
28th September, 2010
This is a top quality fragrance. It's perfect for wearing in the office during spring, summer and autumn.

I have had loads of people getting closer to have a sniff - finally Guerlain has created a modern fragrance which lasts!

Very classy indeed :-)
22nd August, 2010
Guerlain Homme Intense is a delightful surprise from Guerlain. I believe its main problem will be that it is a modern scent from a traditional house. Human resistance to the new will be its bete noir for a while.

Its opening rhubarb and mint accords are just great, IMO. An aromatic delight. I really wished they lasted longer. My consolation is that the fresh yet woody accords which follow are such a joy. It is a sweet scent, but not in the toothache-inducing sense. Here, the woods counterbalance the sweets so well, yet they do not cancel eachother out. Rather, the balance creates a dynamic (perhaps what some reviewers call "tension") that adds gravitas to the blend.

GHI is one of those frags that make me twist and turn in order to catch a whiff of it. It makes me feel good all over. GHI has substantial sillage and is serious longevity.

I dare say that if this frag was released under a different name and from a new house it would receive more favourable acclaim. However, it is a Guerlain, and we will all be looking for Habit Rouge or Mitsouko or (fill the blank) references from it, and our sore disappointment will result in negative reviews. GHI is a new direction, and i am glad it is a direction i like very much.

20th June, 2010