Positive Reviews of Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Definetly something every man should have in their wardrobe. A compliment magnet with a bit of grace and stature. It is worth every dollar spent on it.
08th April, 2016
Beautiful! Masculine, fine and very elegant like all Chanel fragrances.
Merci beaucoup Monsieur Polge!
18th February, 2016
Drkube Show all reviews
A clean and crisp citrusy fragrance.

Opens up with grapefruit and a hint of lemon, followed by a woody dry down consisting of vetiver, incense, and amber.

Although it is fairly generic smelling, it is very versatile and can be worn pretty much almost anywhere. If I were to compare this to the EDP version, I would say this is much more "informal", where the EDP would be suited for more classy occasions.

Nothing too special, but it is a safe choice.

Scent: 6.5/10
Sillage: Average
Longetivity: Average
08th February, 2016

VERY masculine cologne. I can't believe how long this stuff lasts. I still smell it on my laundry pile two days later. The fragrance stays consistent throughout. There isn't much change. I really like how peppery this cologne is. Chanel did a great job. I got this a month before it released back in 2010, and I still have my original bottle. It's about half full. I really like how dark the bottle is, which helps with storing and preserving the scent. I am 100% impressed with this cologne.
05th February, 2016
A shockingly amazing, beautiful, and versatile fragrance. I will skip over the notes since they have already been covered (accurately) by others. Bleu works for all seasons but winter. Sillage and projection are perfect. Everyone takes notice of Bleu - in a good way. Longevity is below average on my skin, but I'm using the EDT. When I run out, I plan to grab the EDP. If you are in a situation and you don't know what fragrance to use: Do the Bleu.

Rating: 10/10.
15th January, 2016
Modern Classic...

So, I am one of the people who didn't like this one from the time it was released. That isn't because I thought that <i>Chanel</i> was being too "mainstream" or whatever. It's because when I first encountered it (mid 2012), it was being worn by an obnoxious person I met who just ruined the whole fragrance for me, saying he wore it to "get women" etc. and I remember him totally over-spraying himself with this from a bottle he carried around in his pocket whilst he was at the club etc.

So, suffice it to say that I avoided this fragrance for a few years... until now, that is.

First I tried the <i>Eau de Parfum</i> because, as far as I know he wasn't wearing that one, and because I like EdP concentrations in general. But lately, I've been wearing the <i>Eau de Toilette</i> as well. Whilst I find the <i>Eau de Parfum</i> different in character, I also like this one as I find it more versatile.

It opens with a very nice grapefruit note which I feel adds such a vitality and brightness to the composition. This is coupled with ginger, followed by vetiver, resins and amber. The other main player here is incense. If I could sum up this then it would be Grapefruit, Ginger, Incense & Amber. I think this is a very flexible scent. One which is laid back and casual (ie a jeans & t-shirt scent) and one which would also work well with a tie and suit. Frankly, I think that <i>Jaques Polge</i> has basically succeeded in hitting all the spots here with <i>Bleu de Chanel</i>. It's not the most amazing or complex or earth-shattering creation out there, but it feels good to wear, and it acts as a man-for-all-seasons kind of scent. If you are new to <i>Chanel</i>, I think this is worth a try.
27th November, 2015
I received this from a trade here on the forums, and I consider it an excellent bargain.

I had no experience with the scent, and truly had no idea what to expect. I had not bothered to look up the notes, but as the bottle I traded it for wasn't working for me, I figured I'd take a chance and see if this would work for my beloved, and it does, thankfully.

The initial 15-20 minutes would have caused me to write this one off. I think my husband would have as well. The discussion we had provided opportunity for me to reinforce the concept of the dry-down, the phases of the top, middle and basenotes, and to get him to experience it for himself. Two hours or more later, my husband said "I don't know if you can still smell it, but what do you think?" - I had to laugh, because I could definitely still smell it, and it was really nice!

I told him I liked it and that I considered it "quite safe". He looked a bit confused, so I explained that this was the scent you wear when you are trying to not offend anyone, or if you are just wanting something that is easily a "people pleaser". He looked a little less confused.

I enjoyed the mint. It was unexpected and up-lifting. There is nothing magical or particularly amazing about this scent, but when I look at his ever-growing wardrobe (designed by me), I'm glad he has this new addition, as some of his others can be somewhat challenging, like his Slumberhouse (which I adore).

Chanel rarely does anything poorly, so it was with this - well done and glad to add it to the collection.
18th October, 2015
Opens up with grapefruit and dries down to a more sophisticated version of Alluure Homme Sport. Very good all around. The EDP is fantastic.
16th October, 2015
Opens up a little meh for me, after 30 minutes is when this really shines with ginger, incense & spicy combo.

After an hour the ginger & grape fruit slip back making way for woods dominated with a hint of freshness from top notes.

This is my favorite Chanel followed by Platinum Ego.
Do not like Allure line.

BDC is Masculine, Modern & classic at the same time.

19th September, 2015
Bleu de Chanel is a versatile all-year fragrance that is well received & complimented by other individuals around me, especially women. If you are reading this review & don’t necessarily want a vast collection of fragrances in your wardrobe (if you’re really looking for just 1 or 2 fragrances you can wear any time & for any occassion), then I highly suggest this amazing scent. It starts off with this fresh, sweet, citrus grapefruit accompanied by a type of incense in the background. The incense enables this fragrance to become somewhat thick, full, and quite masculine. What’s amazing about this fragrance is that the citrus top notes linger for the entirety of the fragrance. I know that this is a woody aromatic, but something about the grapefruit & other citruses evokes a sort of aquatic vibe for me. It projects slightly above average for the first 1 to 2 hours on my skin. Then becomes more of a personal scent, but certainly still perceivable if others come in close contact with you. It lingers around like this for another 6 to 7 hours. Great longevity. Compliments are very high for this fragrance. Most of the women in my social circles consider this as one of their favorites. It’s not a huge statement-maker type of fragrance. It’s more of a fresh, clean, sweet, and slightly seductive scent. This is certainly a fragrance that you should at least try on your skin. You can thank me later.
30th June, 2015
Salutation.

When one fragrance have a lot of reviews it can not be necessarily a bad fragrance albeit some of reviews are negative.In my mind CHANEL fragrances are often transcends of time and this is the best characteristic this fashion house for me but perhaps with this one CHANEL stop in time.nonetheless BLEU DE CHANEL is a nice fragrance for me. Masculine,Charming, Sophisticated,Aromatic,Well-Balanced and Modern yet Classic.

BDC delivers uncompromising masculinity throughout the evolution of the fragrance.It opens with citrus and ginger accords that transition to a soft floral and woody heart of jasmine,mint, vetiver and a masculine base of cedar.this scents for men who are mature to their tastes and know how to put a virile,sensuous cologne to good use.

This CHANEL EDT is not an overpowering scent,just enough to get the female hormones raging as it makes ladies want to flirt with you.It is an all purpose fragrance for men that goes perfect in the Office during the day and also when going out at the Night.It can also be worn most of the year.Totally nothing masterpiece but it deserves more attention.

Sillage?Ok.

Longevity?About 8 hours on my skin.

13th June, 2015
Lovely, manly, sophisticated and sexy! I love Bleu!
05th June, 2015
I love Bleu de Chanel, it's my absolute favorite "blue" scent! It smells brilliant, fantastic, clean, confident and as many, many women that compliment me when wearing this fragrance have said, "super sexy!"

03rd May, 2015 (last edited: 05th May, 2015)

I've had Bleu de Chanel for a few years now and it's stood up to the test of being provocative and modern while still smelling classic-enough to belong in the Chanel family with the likes of Antaeus and Pour Monsieur. The notes that stand out for me most in BDC are lemon and pink pepper at the top, with vetiver and incense more toward the base. I find it somewhat difficult to describe in that it works well both as a summer night and a winter day/night fragrance, as sometimes woody fragrances do. This strikes me as more of a formal / dressed-up selection than something I would wear casually. The pepper is pungent and is deliberately a spicy element. The dry down does involve something slightly sweeter, though there is not a particular note (like vanilla or tonka) that comes to mind, so it could just be the dulling of the some of the more acerbic notes.

Projection and longevity (8-12 hours, at least) are both strong. This is a recommended try for all age groups. Its popularity is wholly warranted, as it's an agreeable woody scent, but it's strong and directed enough that it shouldn't be a blind buy like a safer EDC or something to that effect.

8 out of 10
01st May, 2015
I honestly want to give Bleu a terrible review so no one else uses it because me and Bleu are One. It might be a generic smell on most because it is not for all, on me it smells exquisitely mysterious.

It has a noticeable three stage growth, the medium citrus strong amber comes off as youthful, confident and immature, the minty vetiver incense comes off as sexual desire, then lastly the woody jasmine nutmeg comes off as a night-after mature sensual smell.

I open her mind and senses with the first over-excited stage, the second stage I tear her clothes off by breaking resistances, and the third stage she owns the privilege to wake up to her sweet smelling sensual man that she just shared another amazing night with.

I used to use Platinum Egoiste but my personality has a timid/intense hint to it so the cologne came off too strong like I was stepping over people with my smell, yet with Bleu I'm able to project my intensity with a sensual side.

EDIT #1:
I don't know where these haters are getting fly-spray/bug-spray/ supermarket aisle smell from.. but they must have smelled the EDP because EDT is way different. The 3 day after smell can make me feel a little nauseous because of how sweet the end game smell is.. but that's why you just wash it off and spray again for the citrus wood panty dropper smell.

25th April, 2015 (last edited: 29th April, 2015)
Not a big fan of Chanel's men's fragrances. The Allure line and traditional men's offerings from Chanel, all seem very feminine to my nose. Bleu is no exception.

Bleu is sweet, almost too sweet, but the unusual combination of citrus, spice and wood is quite appealing. The comparison to GIT is apt, but I think Bleu is more citrus. In fact, Bleu reminds me a sweet citrus pulp, similar to what you would get if you made your own orange/grapefruit/tangerine juice, with a little spice and sugar.

That said, I will have to give Bleu a thumbs up. It is elegant, although almost unisex. The citrus is unique and unlike other citrus fragrances, seemed to last throughout the entire drydown. I'd buy this one and wear it to the office or a nice dinner. At last, a second Chanel that I find wearable.
13th March, 2015 (last edited: 16th March, 2015)
The reviewers who find this fragrance unidimensional and linear are missing the point. This fragrance is not designed to be experienced by the wearer, but rather, to be experienced by everyone in that person's environment. It is full of aromachemicals that radiate in an aura around a person, but cause anosmia and olfactory fatigue to the actual wearer. Therefore, it is impossible to rate this fragrance on ones own skin or on a scent card.

The real experience of Bleu de Chanel is gotten by those clever enough to ask their spouse, a friend, or co-worker to wear it. It is a diffusive, bright, metallic money smell to the noses far enough from the wrist on which it is sprayed. Coins and bills.

I would challenge anyone to come up with the notes listed by Chanel for this fragrance, had they sampled it without the marketing noise.

There is a distinct basil/oregano/peppercorn motif lifted by metallic Chanel aldehydes for a flinty, dry base for the citrus topnotes to jump from. The oregano note is not a foody one, but more akin to the oregano note in Clive Christian X.

Very tasteful and tame, always proper like Chanel.
25th February, 2015
I decided to give this one a good few sprays. It's sweet at the beginning with the citrus, jasmine and ginger. Then I started noticing Green Irish Tweed which is the sandalwood. It's a good scent and could be used at night or in the office. To me this is Chanel's response to Green Irish Tweed for a sweet tooth. I'll stick with Green Irish Tweed but it's a smart fragrance and will appeal to many people.
15th December, 2014
For me, it's an ok. But for women I've taken out on a date, for some reason they love it. Might be the mix of the chemical on the skin.
09th November, 2014
This one frustrates me a little because I cannot find a hook or signature to the juice that my nose can hold on to. It's too light for me, but I still like it, and everyone likes it, but everyone says it smells "fine."

It smells great on clothes. Some Bleu de Chanel on my shirt does not clash with other fragrances. It's a nice background scent like really nice laundry detergent.

It has vague similarities to Platinum Egoiste (and therefore AF Fierce), Acqua di Gio, and one of the Calvin Klein's (perhaps discontinued), I think, but I can't place which.

I like it, but it frustrates me that it's too light and/or gives me too much olfactory fatigue so I don't feel it with me. So almost a thumbs sideways.
08th October, 2014
Its original in its own way. Beautifully crafted in my opinion and a perfect day to day and/or signature scent. It's my sig!

It does have some similarities to frags like "jimmy choo man" but only at a casual glance. Compare the two side by side and you WILL see major differences. To me, bleu is definitively more masculine and has a very prominent spice note. Not overpowering and one of those things that smells a little better from a few inches away from the blast site, so don't use a blotter and wait 5 mins after a spritz while sniffing from about 6" away to really capture how this blends in. Smells great either way, but the beauty of this frag really is in how it all comes together in the sillage.

The sillage was great for me. Could i break out a ruler on it? No.. Can't for any frag really but i do know everyone i asked loved it without saying it was too powerful/offensive. So it projects but not across a room. Which is how it should be. The scent is linear. But that's a plus. Most scents rarely achieve perfection as to morph into 3 or 4 different "moods" during its drydown and have all of them smell fantastic. Id rather have something like this that smells like the same awesome juice all day long. That's valuable for office frags and day to day signatures. Lasted about 6 hours on me. Plenty enough for me.

Great stuff! A must try at least. And i highly suggest buying a bottle and actually "trying" it for a few days before making a decision. You honestly can't get the full effect in a 15 minute dry down at the fragrance counter, especially with the attendant trying to shove the latest dior homme or ysl in your face killing your sense of smell.
03rd October, 2014
Very relaxing scent I love wearing this to work.
14th August, 2014
I love this frag for its ability to be worn all year round. I can't think of a time I wouldn't want to smell like this. Citrus woodsy sexy. Yes, women like this one. Me too
04th August, 2014
divus5 Show all reviews
(I bought a bottle at Saks in nyc)

This is a very well done citrus burst. It's not a masterpiece, it's not adventurous...but I am still happy to own and wear it.
31st July, 2014
Bleu is a nice, subtle fragrance that smells mostly of grapefruit and vetiver to my nose. I really enjoy this one.
07th July, 2014
Unjustly bashed, methinks.

Yes, it resorts to most of what is in fashion nowadays - in other words, it smells "contemporary". But, well, these are the aromachemicals around so it should not be a surprise.

Together with its persona, its complexity, extraordinary sillage and its remarkable longevity, I am surprised I can't get whiffs of it among men heading to the office, the way it happens with bestsellers like 1 Million (real or faked) or Terre if the bunch proves to cater to less ubiquitous options. It looks tastes linger more on the side of the fruity and sweet side of things, rather than the spicy ones a la Guerlain Homme or Bvlgari Man (to which you might find analogies).

I like it, really. However, it can be somehow tiring if not applied lightly for its notes will linger for the whole day. After a 12 hour long working day it can be dreadful once back home. So, go lightly, problem solved.

I think Polge did a really good job, regardless of how similar Blue can be in respect to the ones (Guerlain and Bvlgari) mentioned.

28th June, 2014
Great summer night scent.Scent:10/10
longevity:9.5/10
projection:8/10
sillage:7.5/10
performance:10/10
overall:45/50
14th June, 2014
This is a well-composed scent which exudes confidence and offers some degree of complexity.

This is not my absolute favourite but I do find myself reaching for it more than I thought I would just because it is so very versatile.... gets me from the Board room to after work dinner dates. I think it's versatility is on par with GIT.
31st May, 2014
Tmoran Show all reviews
I absolutely love the mid and base of this fragrance. At first spray my example is very heavy on the grapefruit. The ONLY issue I take with Bleu de chanel is I feel it is very finicky from batch to batch in the top notes. When ever I am at a store that sells this I always spray a card and see how theres smells and it never fails it is always a little different from batch to batch in the top. After about an hour is where I think it really comes to life and to me just exudes confidence. I find projection and sillage to be very acceptable.

UPDATE: So I have to update this review as I have sold my USA produced bleu and purchased a larger bottle made in france. I dont know if the USA plant has had production issues in the past but many examples I have smelled of bleu at places like jc penny and Ulta have been way off. They have a very dominant grapefruit/cedar wood and that is all they have. I find I much prefer the stuff that is made in france. To be fair I have smelled usa produced bleu that smelled proper but I have never encountered a funky genuine france example. Put it this way, the USA produced example I had I could not wear and hated it. The france bottle? Love it. And I put it up there with some of my higher end fragrances. I have a feeling that at least some of the people reporting a dislike for BDC may be encountering these Grapefruit/cedar heavy bottles.
13th April, 2014 (last edited: 23rd September, 2014)
Reminds me of Cool Water by Davidoff which I like. Thumbs up. :-)
06th April, 2014