Positive Reviews of Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Find out more about Bleu de Chanel by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Puremugler's avatar

I love this frag for its ability to be worn all year round. I can't think of a time I wouldn't want to smell like this. Citrus woodsy sexy. Yes, women like this one. Me too

04 August, 2014

divus5's avatar

(I bought a bottle at Saks in nyc)

This is a very well done citrus burst. It's not a masterpiece, it's not adventurous...but I am still happy to own and wear it.

31st July, 2014

Shaheen's avatar

Bleu is a nice, subtle fragrance that smells mostly of grapefruit and vetiver to my nose. I really enjoy this one.

07 July, 2014

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Unjustly bashed, methinks.

Yes, it resorts to most of what is in fashion nowadays - in other words, it smells "contemporary". But, well, these are the aromachemicals around so it should not be a surprise.

Together with its persona, its complexity, extraordinary sillage and its remarkable longevity, I am surprised I can't get whiffs of it among men heading to the office, the way it happens with bestsellers like 1 Million (real or faked) or Terre if the bunch proves to cater to less ubiquitous options. It looks tastes linger more on the side of the fruity and sweet side of things, rather than the spicy ones a la Guerlain Homme or Bvlgari Man (to which you might find analogies).

I like it, really. However, it can be somehow tiring if not applied lightly for its notes will linger for the whole day. After a 12 hour long working day it can be dreadful once back home. So, go lightly, problem solved.

I think Polge did a really good job, regardless of how similar Blue can be in respect to the ones (Guerlain and Bvlgari) mentioned.

28 June, 2014

panagiotis1992's avatar

Great summer night scent.Scent:10/10
    longevity:9.5/10
    projection:8/10
    sillage:7.5/10
    performance:10/10
    overall:45/50

14 June, 2014

Klaaon's avatar

Singapore Singapore

This is a well-composed scent which exudes confidence and offers some degree of complexity.

This is not my absolute favourite but I do find myself reaching for it more than I thought I would just because it is so very versatile.... gets me from the Board room to after work dinner dates. I think it's versatility is on par with GIT.

31st May, 2014

Tmoran's avatar

I absolutely love the mid and base of this fragrance. At first spray my example is very heavy on the grapefruit. The ONLY issue I take with Bleu de chanel is I feel it is very finicky from batch to batch in the top notes. When ever I am at a store that sells this I always spray a card and see how theres smells and it never fails it is always a little different from batch to batch in the top. After about an hour is where I think it really comes to life and to me just exudes confidence. I find projection and sillage to be very acceptable.

13 April, 2014

Danthedude's avatar

Reminds me of Cool Water by Davidoff which I like. Thumbs up. :-)

06 April, 2014

ClarkScent's avatar

One of my favorite Chanel Fragrances (I do own every men's Chanel fragrance). This can be worn at any occasion, at anytime of year but is very complex at the same time. This is very well built and even men compliment this when I wear it. How this can be called "generic" is beyond me. I realize the ingredients aren't ultra rare but is still luxurious smelling to me and the nay sayers girlfriends. Is very masculine all the way down to the built like a tank bottle. Super high quality which is the norm for Chanel. Do yourself a favor.

23 March, 2014

byandthrough's avatar

No complaints about this scent whatsoever. It may be generic, it may be mainstream...but where I come from, barely anyone wears fragrances and the name Chanel immediately conjures up the question: "Ain't dat a lay-dee's par-foom?" It may be mass-marketed and highly successful, but I'll enjoy standing out amongst my Axe-wearing peers.

Bleu starts shrill with a cold, metallic and harsh grapefruit note, then slowly morphs into a heavy incense and vetiver locomotive. Still retains it's "fresh" vibe throughout, but mid and base really help to keep this anchored as a strong masculine. I like its nod to classic "big-business" suit-and-tie type of framework, and think it works well as a formal scent because of this. I get 8-10 hours with stellar projection with 3 sprays and sometimes knock it down to 2 just to be a bit more subtle. Some days, it does go a bit sour on my skin but that's 5% of the time. Overall, I enjoy Bleu immensely. Let the haters groan all they want. Solid scent and an overwhelming crowd pleaser.

13 March, 2014

perfumeparadise's avatar

Great top notes perhaps the best I have ever smelt,really addictive olfactory heroin...Alas it doesn't last too long however turns into a Citrus ,Chloride soapy like smell,and this is what you will smell for most of the fragrance.
    It does project and last a very long time though,which is a major plus,also it seems to develop on the skin better in the summer months then in the colder months.
    It is however a good frangrance and better then most designer scents out there.

03 February, 2014

Zerby's avatar

I got this for Christmas 12/25/13. I was glad to see it. I wore this the next day meeting w/ some people. I got 3 compliments. At work, I got 11 more compliments in 1 day!!! Everyday I wear this I get a compliment. This isn't teenage by a longshot. Very woody. I get over 20 hours lasting time. Sillage is fantastic too. You can't go wrong here.

14 January, 2014

PungentPuncher's avatar

A good office, going-out cologne. Projection and sillage may not be the greatest, but that's what makes it even better for the office. Smells like fresh oranges with powder. The dry down is pleasantly a light --but sharp-- citrus. Nothing special, but I can see why it's popular.

07 January, 2014

Ryanmmas26's avatar

This is actually a very nice,subtle,clean and safe scent. It reminds me of laundry detergent or like my girlfriend has said "It smells like cleaner, but it is attractive" ... With that said it is very pleasant and everyone around you will like it and its a safe buy if you simply want to smell good. But if your a cologne enthusiast that has smelled a lot than you will most likely find this to be boring and unoriginal. I really prefer Chanel Allure Homme sport as I feel it has more character and more appealing but I believe with this it Chanel wanted something that everyone will like and if that was the purpose than id say mission accomplished

05 January, 2014

scooptn's avatar

Not near the top of my list, but a good safe travel fragrance.

03 November, 2013

the reaper's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Marine not aquatic

Like I stated I consider this fragante as marine and not aquatic. It's a very serious fragance not a teenage stuff. I like second after Acqua di Gio Essenza to wear by the sea.

02 October, 2013

YasirShahbaz's avatar

A very nice blend

It makes me feel great n happy, every time i wear it, and i love it more thinking that its a gift from my wife

Pros: Unique, Beautiful, Classy
    Cons:

22 September, 2013

Vito's avatar

So ethereal!

A nice scent, well constructed, a bit ethereal, probably too sinthetic, but I love it!

07 September, 2013

MSKE's avatar

Great, especially since it doesn't "challenge my nose"!

Some comment about this cologne being boring, ordinary, nothing special and, most hilariously, that it doesn't "challenge their noses". Well, the "unique" and "nose-challenging" colognes are not for everybody; in fact I think most of the colognes that fall under that category stink. There's something to be said about a cologne that can literally brighten your mood and make you feel confident when you wear it (all the compliments you'll get will certainly help with that). It projects decently (I don't want people around me to choke on my scent), lasts a reasonable amount of time (about 5 hours on me) and smells great! A sophisticated fresh scent with class and panache; totally worthy of the Chanel name.

04 September, 2013

nyguy's avatar

Amazing

I remember buying this blind the day that it came out, I figured it's a new Chanel fragrance so I can't really go wrong..after the first spray I was literally blown away..it was an amazing blue-woody smell. I have since purchased many bottles of this. It's by far the most complimented cologne ever, and I own several niche and powerhouse colognes. Also even if you do buy this blind and really do not like it, it's by far the easiest cologne to get rid of as it's very popular nowadays. Quality Chanel fragrance at a decent price!

22 July, 2013

observer59's avatar

Perfect refreshing and vitalizing Summer fragrance

I read a lot of envy on this fragrance. Quite a few people rate Bleu de Chanel with 1 star.

Well, even if it's not your cup of tea, if anyone rates this fragrance with less than 3 stars, my advice: get a nose job.

Only 3 months ago I started reading reviews on fragrances. On Basenotes and Fragrantica.

First I was impressed that people seemed to be able to distinguish all the different elements, notes they call it. They all seemed so expert.

After 3 months reading and spending close to 600 Euros on various fragrances, I must conclude that the reviews are worthless. Not all are worthless, but how do you distinguish an expert review from pure envy, like the negative ratings here on Bleu de Chanel?

"I’m so disappointed with Chanel. There are far better in the market." Jep. Sure.

Because for every single fragrance you will find lovers and haters. It doesn’t make sense.

What I also find typical and questionable, is the fact that there is not one single remark on aftershave and Deodorant.

For me a fragrance is more than just a EDT or EDP. If you want to do it right you need a fragrance line. The same aftershave and Deospray. Otherwise you smell a cocktail of fragrances on you.
    I haven’t found one single remark on these sites, regarding the fact that from many Colognes there is hardly aftershave available and even less deodorant.

I have Hugo Boss nr. 1 and Bottled. Joop le Homme and Jump. YSL l’homme Libre, Jill Sander Sun, J.P.Gaultier le Male, Paco Rabanne 1 million and Jaguar black.

I bought and ditched Davidoff Cool Water.

Some of these fragrances I bought based on the reviews I read. I learned from those mistakes.

I own now the Bleu de Chanel fragrance line, and I really can recommend it. Specially for Summer. For it is a fresh, stylish fragrance, that reminds me of the vitalizing power of the sun. Well dressed or in Blue Jeans, as long as you wear a (light)blue shirt.

I own also fragrance lines of Cartier Roadster, YSL la nuit and Dolce and Gabbana the one, For these work the best for me. They are all 4 stars+.

Bleu de Chanel however made me curious about all the other Chanel male fragraces

Pros: Longitivity,
    Cons: None"

17 July, 2013

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Wonderful!

Every time I want attention I wear Bleu by Chanel. Today I wore it to the office for the very first time. My secretary asked me what I was wearing. She said I ALWAYS smell delicious but today's fragrance was the top. I told her it was Bleu by Chanel and she is going to buy a bottle for her boyfriend's birthday next week. After that I got many more compliments both by women AND men.

Pros: It lasts a very long time on me.
    Cons:

30th May, 2013

JorgeCouto's avatar

Good

I Like it!

28 May, 2013

Tetris23's avatar

Great versatile scent

14 May, 2013

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

By far the greatest Chanel fragrance and maybe the best fresh scent ever! Smoky grapefruit is the gist of it, and it gets sweeter in the drydown. Great drydown, very long lasting, easily lasts a workday (one of the few fresh fragrances that lasts on my dry skin). Stunning. 10/10.

12 May, 2013

thines01's avatar

This is a really different scent that I like. It provides me with some variety in my arsenal.

I has a strong grapefruit-peel attack and the citrus stays throughout the wearing of the fragrance. It's good if you don't feel like being "sweet".

This one (lightly sprayed) would be good in a work environment.

I will wear this to church, but I don't see it as an evening scent (as I would want someting sweeter).
    The sillage is decent with a projecting distance of about 2 feet.
    It is fairly linear, but I call it "consistent".

11th May, 2013

Moto04's avatar

I formerly used AHS but was looking for a more 'mature' scent minus the tonka/vanilla flavor prominent in the Allure line. Low and behold, I've come across BdC. Despite the negative reviews I find this to be a wonderful, evocative scent. It starts off fresh with light spice and a touch of ginger. The spice and ginger hang around throughout as it descends into a woody drydown. Very pleasant and appropriate for all seasons and occasions. I could see this as signature scent material, particularly for the non-conoisseur. However, I plan to wear it in the Spring.

As others have mentioned, it's not unique in any sense of the imagination but rather seems to take the best qualities of several fragrances, blends them together and results in a superior product. Be prepared for compliments as well as the ladies really seem to enjoy this one.

07 May, 2013

BRM85282's avatar

I really didn't want to like this scent. I tested it out several times at Sephora and the other department stores, and although I liked it, I didn't LOVE it. I kept trying it off and on for a year. Each time I sampled it, I liked it just a little bit more than the time before. The last time I sampled it, I decided right then and there to take the plunge and buy the 1.7 FL OZ EDT; I have not regretted it at all.

I tend to have longevity and projection issues. I don't know if it's from my body chemistry (maybe I drink too much coffee), my dry skin, or just my nose, but this fragrance is a BEAST for me. I get a good 10 to 12 hours minimum. In addition, I have received more compliments from friends and strangers alike. Both men and women have commented on it and said how nice I smell.

Having said that, I really don't think this is a ground-breaking fragrance. Yes, it is generic and safe. It's the epitome of a work scent, but that's OK with me. I like it better than Issey Miyake (which smells like bug spray...albeit a high quality bug spray) or YSL L'Homme (which is bleh and a little too sweet). The dry down is great, people like it on me, and it is complex and interesting enough to keep my attention if I don't wear it every day.

This is one of the most underrated fragrances out there!

06 May, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

Take vetiver, peppercorns, grapefruit, and sandalwood. mix them together and you have every other generic dept. store fragrance in the world. There is nothing that stands apart.

05 May, 2013

del's avatar

It was in summer of 2010 when a Sales Assistant pushed Bleu, and I found it generic, so I walked away. I made a full wearing about a year later, and realized: it is actually an enjoyable scent.

BdC is a quality fragrance: a semi-aquatic scent, well-balanced citrus (not the too zesty type), with an added sweetness. To me, Bleu dries down to a musky vibe. Overall, it is clean and inoffensive, but can be a little loud when oversprayed. A really pleasant fragrance, which makes it perfect for office/work environment.

For a fresh and modern scent, its longevity is above average, and the projection is very good. The dark blue bottle is a simple yet elegant no non-sense design, and the magnetic cap is a nice touch!

Ignoring the negative preconceived notions about Bleu, I gave it a shot. I’m glad it's now in my wardrobe and part of my regular rotation, especially during the warmer season. Chanel does a good job marketing Bleu; and in my opinion, it will become a classic scent in the years to come.

18 April, 2013