Positive Reviews of Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Find out more about Bleu de Chanel by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

clamnole's avatar

Not a big fan of Chanel's men's fragrances. The Allure line and traditional men's offerings from Chanel, all seem very feminine to my nose. Bleu is no exception.

Bleu is sweet, almost too sweet, but the unusual combination of citrus, spice and wood is quite appealing. The comparison to GIT is apt, but I think Bleu is more citrus. In fact, Bleu reminds me a sweet citrus pulp, similar to what you would get if you made your own orange/grapefruit/tangerine juice, with a little spice and sugar.

That said, I will have to give Bleu a thumbs up. It is elegant, although almost unisex. The citrus is unique and unlike other citrus fragrances, seemed to last throughout the entire drydown. I'd buy this one and wear it to the office or a nice dinner. At last, a second Chanel that I find wearable.

13th March, 2015 (Last Edited: 16th March, 2015)

jimmyfresno's avatar

The reviewers who find this fragrance unidimensional and linear are missing the point. This fragrance is not designed to be experienced by the wearer, but rather, to be experienced by everyone in that person's environment. It is full of aromachemicals that radiate in an aura around a person, but cause anosmia and olfactory fatigue to the actual wearer. Therefore, it is impossible to rate this fragrance on ones own skin or on a scent card.

The real experience of Bleu de Chanel is gotten by those clever enough to ask their spouse, a friend, or co-worker to wear it. It is a diffusive, bright, metallic money smell to the noses far enough from the wrist on which it is sprayed. Coins and bills.

I would challenge anyone to come up with the notes listed by Chanel for this fragrance, had they sampled it without the marketing noise.

There is a distinct basil/oregano/peppercorn motif lifted by metallic Chanel aldehydes for a flinty, dry base for the citrus topnotes to jump from. The oregano note is not a foody one, but more akin to the oregano note in Clive Christian X.

Very tasteful and tame, always proper like Chanel.

25th February, 2015

ClassicFan's avatar

I decided to give this one a good few sprays. It's sweet at the beginning with the citrus, jasmine and ginger. Then I started noticing Green Irish Tweed which is the sandalwood. It's a good scent and could be used at night or in the office. To me this is Chanel's response to Green Irish Tweed for a sweet tooth. I'll stick with Green Irish Tweed but it's a smart fragrance and will appeal to many people.

15th December, 2014

JBaptiste's avatar

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

For me, it's an ok. But for women I've taken out on a date, for some reason they love it. Might be the mix of the chemical on the skin.

09th November, 2014

Chanel1's avatar

This one frustrates me a little because I cannot find a hook or signature to the juice that my nose can hold on to. It's too light for me, but I still like it, and everyone likes it, but everyone says it smells "fine."

It smells great on clothes. Some Bleu de Chanel on my shirt does not clash with other fragrances. It's a nice background scent like really nice laundry detergent.

It has vague similarities to Platinum Egoiste (and therefore AF Fierce), Acqua di Gio, and one of the Calvin Klein's (perhaps discontinued), I think, but I can't place which.

I like it, but it frustrates me that it's too light and/or gives me too much olfactory fatigue so I don't feel it with me. So almost a thumbs sideways.

08th October, 2014

GunSlynger's avatar

Its original in its own way. Beautifully crafted in my opinion and a perfect day to day and/or signature scent. It's my sig!

It does have some similarities to frags like "jimmy choo man" but only at a casual glance. Compare the two side by side and you WILL see major differences. To me, bleu is definitively more masculine and has a very prominent spice note. Not overpowering and one of those things that smells a little better from a few inches away from the blast site, so don't use a blotter and wait 5 mins after a spritz while sniffing from about 6" away to really capture how this blends in. Smells great either way, but the beauty of this frag really is in how it all comes together in the sillage.

The sillage was great for me. Could i break out a ruler on it? No.. Can't for any frag really but i do know everyone i asked loved it without saying it was too powerful/offensive. So it projects but not across a room. Which is how it should be. The scent is linear. But that's a plus. Most scents rarely achieve perfection as to morph into 3 or 4 different "moods" during its drydown and have all of them smell fantastic. Id rather have something like this that smells like the same awesome juice all day long. That's valuable for office frags and day to day signatures. Lasted about 6 hours on me. Plenty enough for me.

Great stuff! A must try at least. And i highly suggest buying a bottle and actually "trying" it for a few days before making a decision. You honestly can't get the full effect in a 15 minute dry down at the fragrance counter, especially with the attendant trying to shove the latest dior homme or ysl in your face killing your sense of smell.

03rd October, 2014

Sly2scents's avatar

Very relaxing scent I love wearing this to work.

14th August, 2014

Puremugler's avatar

I love this frag for its ability to be worn all year round. I can't think of a time I wouldn't want to smell like this. Citrus woodsy sexy. Yes, women like this one. Me too

04th August, 2014

divus5's avatar

(I bought a bottle at Saks in nyc)

This is a very well done citrus burst. It's not a masterpiece, it's not adventurous...but I am still happy to own and wear it.

31st July, 2014

Shaheen's avatar

Bleu is a nice, subtle fragrance that smells mostly of grapefruit and vetiver to my nose. I really enjoy this one.

07th July, 2014

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Unjustly bashed, methinks.

Yes, it resorts to most of what is in fashion nowadays - in other words, it smells "contemporary". But, well, these are the aromachemicals around so it should not be a surprise.

Together with its persona, its complexity, extraordinary sillage and its remarkable longevity, I am surprised I can't get whiffs of it among men heading to the office, the way it happens with bestsellers like 1 Million (real or faked) or Terre if the bunch proves to cater to less ubiquitous options. It looks tastes linger more on the side of the fruity and sweet side of things, rather than the spicy ones a la Guerlain Homme or Bvlgari Man (to which you might find analogies).

I like it, really. However, it can be somehow tiring if not applied lightly for its notes will linger for the whole day. After a 12 hour long working day it can be dreadful once back home. So, go lightly, problem solved.

I think Polge did a really good job, regardless of how similar Blue can be in respect to the ones (Guerlain and Bvlgari) mentioned.

28th June, 2014

panagiotis1992's avatar

Great summer night scent.Scent:10/10
    longevity:9.5/10
    projection:8/10
    sillage:7.5/10
    performance:10/10
    overall:45/50

14th June, 2014

Klaaon's avatar

Singapore Singapore

This is a well-composed scent which exudes confidence and offers some degree of complexity.

This is not my absolute favourite but I do find myself reaching for it more than I thought I would just because it is so very versatile.... gets me from the Board room to after work dinner dates. I think it's versatility is on par with GIT.

31st May, 2014

Tmoran's avatar

I absolutely love the mid and base of this fragrance. At first spray my example is very heavy on the grapefruit. The ONLY issue I take with Bleu de chanel is I feel it is very finicky from batch to batch in the top notes. When ever I am at a store that sells this I always spray a card and see how theres smells and it never fails it is always a little different from batch to batch in the top. After about an hour is where I think it really comes to life and to me just exudes confidence. I find projection and sillage to be very acceptable.

UPDATE: So I have to update this review as I have sold my USA produced bleu and purchased a larger bottle made in france. I dont know if the USA plant has had production issues in the past but many examples I have smelled of bleu at places like jc penny and Ulta have been way off. They have a very dominant grapefruit/cedar wood and that is all they have. I find I much prefer the stuff that is made in france. To be fair I have smelled usa produced bleu that smelled proper but I have never encountered a funky genuine france example. Put it this way, the USA produced example I had I could not wear and hated it. The france bottle? Love it. And I put it up there with some of my higher end fragrances. I have a feeling that at least some of the people reporting a dislike for BDC may be encountering these Grapefruit/cedar heavy bottles.

13th April, 2014 (Last Edited: 23rd September, 2014)

Danthedude's avatar

Reminds me of Cool Water by Davidoff which I like. Thumbs up. :-)

06th April, 2014

ClarkScent's avatar

One of my favorite Chanel Fragrances (I do own every men's Chanel fragrance). This can be worn at any occasion, at anytime of year but is very complex at the same time. This is very well built and even men compliment this when I wear it. How this can be called "generic" is beyond me. I realize the ingredients aren't ultra rare but is still luxurious smelling to me and the nay sayers girlfriends. Is very masculine all the way down to the built like a tank bottle. Super high quality which is the norm for Chanel. Do yourself a favor.

23rd March, 2014

's avatar

No complaints about this scent whatsoever. It may be generic, it may be mainstream...but where I come from, barely anyone wears fragrances and the name Chanel immediately conjures up the question: "Ain't dat a lay-dee's par-foom?" It may be mass-marketed and highly successful, but I'll enjoy standing out amongst my Axe-wearing peers.

Bleu starts shrill with a cold, metallic and harsh grapefruit note, then slowly morphs into a heavy incense and vetiver locomotive. Still retains it's "fresh" vibe throughout, but mid and base really help to keep this anchored as a strong masculine. I like its nod to classic "big-business" suit-and-tie type of framework, and think it works well as a formal scent because of this. I get 8-10 hours with stellar projection with 3 sprays and sometimes knock it down to 2 just to be a bit more subtle. Some days, it does go a bit sour on my skin but that's 5% of the time. Overall, I enjoy Bleu immensely. Let the haters groan all they want. Solid scent and an overwhelming crowd pleaser.

13th March, 2014

perfumeparadise's avatar

Great top notes perhaps the best I have ever smelt,really addictive olfactory heroin...Alas it doesn't last too long however turns into a Citrus ,Chloride soapy like smell,and this is what you will smell for most of the fragrance.
    It does project and last a very long time though,which is a major plus,also it seems to develop on the skin better in the summer months then in the colder months.
    It is however a good frangrance and better then most designer scents out there.

03rd February, 2014

Zerby's avatar

I got this for Christmas 12/25/13. I was glad to see it. I wore this the next day meeting w/ some people. I got 3 compliments. At work, I got 11 more compliments in 1 day!!! Everyday I wear this I get a compliment. This isn't teenage by a longshot. Very woody. I get over 20 hours lasting time. Sillage is fantastic too. You can't go wrong here.

14th January, 2014

PungentPuncher's avatar

A good office, going-out cologne. Projection and sillage may not be the greatest, but that's what makes it even better for the office. Smells like fresh oranges with powder. The dry down is pleasantly a light --but sharp-- citrus. Nothing special, but I can see why it's popular.

07th January, 2014

Ryanmmas26's avatar

This is actually a very nice,subtle,clean and safe scent. It reminds me of laundry detergent or like my girlfriend has said "It smells like cleaner, but it is attractive" ... With that said it is very pleasant and everyone around you will like it and its a safe buy if you simply want to smell good. But if your a cologne enthusiast that has smelled a lot than you will most likely find this to be boring and unoriginal. I really prefer Chanel Allure Homme sport as I feel it has more character and more appealing but I believe with this it Chanel wanted something that everyone will like and if that was the purpose than id say mission accomplished

05th January, 2014

scooptn's avatar

Not near the top of my list, but a good safe travel fragrance.

03rd November, 2013

the reaper's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

I consider this fragance marine and modern. Perfect for every situation and season. Not a traditional Chanel but made with quality ingredients.

02nd October, 2013 (Last Edited: 15th September, 2014)

YasirShahbaz's avatar

A very nice blend

It makes me feel great n happy, every time i wear it, and i love it more thinking that its a gift from my wife

Pros: Unique, Beautiful, Classy
    Cons:

22nd September, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar

Muddled, but nice smelling

I really don't get this one. I do not pick out any notes, per say, but just get this basic "nice" fresh smell. Some woods and citrus, I think, but it is very muddled to me. Fine, but really nothing of great interest to me.

__---

Well, that was my asessment last year, and I could not be any more wrong.

09th September, 2013 (Last Edited: 03rd October, 2014)

Vito's avatar

So ethereal!

A nice scent, well constructed, a bit ethereal, probably too sinthetic, but I love it!

07th September, 2013

MSKE's avatar

Great, especially since it doesn't "challenge my nose"!

Some comment about this cologne being boring, ordinary, nothing special and, most hilariously, that it doesn't "challenge their noses". Well, the "unique" and "nose-challenging" colognes are not for everybody; in fact I think most of the colognes that fall under that category stink. There's something to be said about a cologne that can literally brighten your mood and make you feel confident when you wear it (all the compliments you'll get will certainly help with that). It projects decently (I don't want people around me to choke on my scent), lasts a reasonable amount of time (about 5 hours on me) and smells great! A sophisticated fresh scent with class and panache; totally worthy of the Chanel name.

04th September, 2013

nyguy's avatar

Amazing

I remember buying this blind the day that it came out, I figured it's a new Chanel fragrance so I can't really go wrong..after the first spray I was literally blown away..it was an amazing blue-woody smell. I have since purchased many bottles of this. It's by far the most complimented cologne ever, and I own several niche and powerhouse colognes. Also even if you do buy this blind and really do not like it, it's by far the easiest cologne to get rid of as it's very popular nowadays. Quality Chanel fragrance at a decent price!

22nd July, 2013

observer59's avatar

Perfect refreshing and vitalizing Summer fragrance

I read a lot of envy on this fragrance. Quite a few people rate Bleu de Chanel with 1 star.

Well, even if it's not your cup of tea, if anyone rates this fragrance with less than 3 stars, my advice: get a nose job.

Only 3 months ago I started reading reviews on fragrances. On Basenotes and Fragrantica.

First I was impressed that people seemed to be able to distinguish all the different elements, notes they call it. They all seemed so expert.

After 3 months reading and spending close to 600 Euros on various fragrances, I must conclude that the reviews are worthless. Not all are worthless, but how do you distinguish an expert review from pure envy, like the negative ratings here on Bleu de Chanel?

"I’m so disappointed with Chanel. There are far better in the market." Jep. Sure.

Because for every single fragrance you will find lovers and haters. It doesn’t make sense.

What I also find typical and questionable, is the fact that there is not one single remark on aftershave and Deodorant.

For me a fragrance is more than just a EDT or EDP. If you want to do it right you need a fragrance line. The same aftershave and Deospray. Otherwise you smell a cocktail of fragrances on you.
    I haven’t found one single remark on these sites, regarding the fact that from many Colognes there is hardly aftershave available and even less deodorant.

I have Hugo Boss nr. 1 and Bottled. Joop le Homme and Jump. YSL l’homme Libre, Jill Sander Sun, J.P.Gaultier le Male, Paco Rabanne 1 million and Jaguar black.

I bought and ditched Davidoff Cool Water.

Some of these fragrances I bought based on the reviews I read. I learned from those mistakes.

I own now the Bleu de Chanel fragrance line, and I really can recommend it. Specially for Summer. For it is a fresh, stylish fragrance, that reminds me of the vitalizing power of the sun. Well dressed or in Blue Jeans, as long as you wear a (light)blue shirt.

I own also fragrance lines of Cartier Roadster, YSL la nuit and Dolce and Gabbana the one, For these work the best for me. They are all 4 stars+.

Bleu de Chanel however made me curious about all the other Chanel male fragraces

Pros: Longitivity,
    Cons: None"

17th July, 2013

RUDOLFO512's avatar

Wonderful!

Every time I want attention I wear Bleu by Chanel. Today I wore it to the office for the very first time. My secretary asked me what I was wearing. She said I ALWAYS smell delicious but today's fragrance was the top. I told her it was Bleu by Chanel and she is going to buy a bottle for her boyfriend's birthday next week. After that I got many more compliments both by women AND men.

Pros: It lasts a very long time on me.
    Cons:

30th May, 2013