Reviews of L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Find out more about L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

I don’t have a lot to say about this fragrance. It’s a simple, luminous, clean musk composition with a big, enduring, and not particularly natural-smelling citrus note grafted onto it. This kind of simple, shampoo-style scent is pleasant enough on its own terms, but it’s available elsewhere for a lot less money. Buy this instead of Mugler Cologne, Gendarme, or DKNY Woman only if must have a niche brand name on your dresser.

19th June, 2014

patsavouta's avatar

unisex, fresh and clean essence, poor longevity, too expensive

tried this today.
    when first attached i was like i love that smell, i like smelling this, its a fresh bucket of clean- yet elegant- yet somehow floraly- somehow sweet- but still stay fresh -while not green at all- scent . I had the feeling i want to re apply.. It's absolutely unisex with both gender sides making a succesful balance (although the dry down may considered as more masculin type of thing, making it a reminiscent of 360 for men by Perry Ellis for my nose and skin.
    After that it all pretty dissapears quite quickly without nothing left back..
    Not a bad scent. Top notes acted pleasantly to me..Starts sounding good and 'expensive' but doesnt last long to my skin, not much present yet too expensive for its average dry down

Pros: Fresh and clean, elegant, light and delicate
    Cons: too expensive, dry out lacks originality, poor longevity"

18th October, 2013

rbaker's avatar

An aquatic of good pedigree

The touch of citrus is nice with the minty note and the lovely magnolia. Otherwise lots of aldehydes, and Eau Eau Eau - a watery-aquatic character is obvious. Lovely for the first hour, two watery for the second hour, then gone. Nice but lightweight.

29th July, 2013

Skelly's avatar

Fabric conditioner and bathroom cleaner.

Fabric conditioner and bathroom cleaner. Come to think of it, there are cleaning products I actually prefer to this.

15th July, 2013

timdoeswell's avatar

I'm not sure what to say about this fragrance. The idea was interesting, a perfume for those wanting a break from perfume, but the execution wasn't on par with the intention.

The fragrance is your typical 'clean linen' cologne - clary sage, aldehydes and citrus. Nothing groundbreaking, and not done especially well, in my opinion.

This is SL's attempt at a lighter, ozonic cologne-style fragrance, but I wonder why not make an Eau de Cologne (this is EdT strength)?
    I cynically presume because EdCs don't, by nature, last long, and SL wanted to keep the price tag high on this. So it's an average EdC style fragrance with EdT longevity. Which is a good thing if it can retain its fresh feeling for the whole time.
    After a few hours, however, this dries down into just another musky skin scent, ruining the whole feel of the fragrance.

16th November, 2012

rogalal's avatar

I guess I'll have to eat crow on this one. When L'Eau first came out, I smelled those dumb aquatic topnotes on paper at the store and immediately wrote it off. I even had a sample that went untouched for two years. Then, I finally tried it on...

It kicked off with grassy leafy peppery greens, sort of like Cristale but what you'd get if they made an aquatic version in the 90's by adding that cheesy fake melon and dusting it with pepper. Fairly quickly, the melon faded into that background, leaving room for a dry oregano smell to come in, accompanied by something kind of like really salty clay or hot bricks.

Somehow, the sum of these parts (mostly salty oregano over an abstract background of sweet but dry mineralic greens verging on clay) actually smelled quite good on me. While I'm comfortable wearing all sorts of food smells, for some reason the strong oregano sillage was a step too far for me - I spent the day worrying that I smelled weird. But I still found L'Eau to be artful and interesting. Sure, it's no Chergui or Arabie, but it does what it does well and without feeling cliched.

03rd November, 2012

the reaper's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

This is not antiparfum but anti Serge Lutens. But it smells wonderful anyway. Perfect for daytime or office wear.

31st October, 2012

hyascent's avatar

L'Eau is a nice warm weather fragrance--very crisp, clean, and like others have mentioned, uncomplicated. It smells like a refreshing summer cocktail of vodka with orange and grapefruit juices and wedges of honeydew melon.

22nd October, 2012

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

If you like really clean and fresh colognes, this is better (less bad) than most. The soapy quality of it is not too unpleasant, not going too far into the "shower-fresh" territory of too many modern masculine fragrances. It's sort of an "updated" fougere type - it has that licorice-like fern note and vague hints of lavender (or perhaps it's the sage) and citrus.

13th August, 2012

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Fabric softener for Snobs. Just add two bottles of L'Eau to your wash and you'll get that April-fresh Procter&Gamble smell in your laundry. An all-time low for this once glorious, now rather directionless house.

27th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 28th September, 2011)

Sunsetspawn's avatar

I think everybody on here is overreacting. This is a competent entry into a well worn genre. It isn't terribly unique, but it is a bit unique amongst its "fresh" peers. It has a beverage-like quality not unlike lemonade. In fact, I would say that this fragrance is the lemonade to L'eau par Kenzo Indigo's iced tea. It's quality, like the whole line, and when worn it always makes you think, "gee, that's nice." As people approach you you will be confident that they will like your lemony goodness. Also, even when pressed against the nose and hard-core-huffed, I never detect anything artificial-smelling (but we all know that all perfumes contain artificial ingredients).

If this were gifted to me, I would certainly wear it, possibly often. It definitely has a pleasantly unobtrusive quality, and not once during my testing was I even slightly off put. In fact, pending further investigation, I may snatch me up a bottle.

When a brand does something you're not used to, it's easy to just yell, "sell out," but then you might miss something great, like "Bleeding Me."

14th September, 2011

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Never thought I'd say this about a Serge Lutens Fragrance, but ho-hum...I'm bored. Thankfully it was a gift so I'm not out of money. I really appreciate that my friend thought of me on her trip to Paris, knowing that I like Serge Lutens fragrances, I just wish she would have asked me first so that she wouldn't be out of money as well. I may eventually wear this on the hotteset of summer days, but I don't see myself reaching for it just for the pleasure of savoring it as there isn't much to go on in complexity or sillage-wise. Hopefully my friend won't ever see this review.

06th September, 2011

MysteryBuff40's avatar

I had high hopes for L'Eau Serge Lutens because a) I respect the creativity and quality Lutens puts into his scents, and b) I love clean, reserved fragrances, so the idea of a scent that smells "like a clean, white shirt" intrigued me.

Unfortunately what I experienced upon wearing L'Eau Serge Lutens smelled more like plastic and melted cheese. Basically a grilled cheese sandwich wrapped in cellophane. No freshness. No purity.

Sorry, Serge, but we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I'll continue to enjoy Gris Clair (fresh lavender against the backdrop of a bonfire) and Five O'Clock au Gimgembre (autumn and winter holidays in a bottle).

30th July, 2011

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

L'Eau Serge Lutens wanders anemically between a number of humdrum smells – from freshly shampooed hair, to sachet towelettes, to the gooed-up detergent drawer of a washing machine. Its citric-ozonic-musky profile becomes sweeter and creamier over the course of its prolonged drydown and, while I don't think it's simplistic or lazily put-together, I get little joy from its awkward straddling of lemon cheesecake and fabric softener. If you want to smell clean, which Lutens himself claims to be the rationale behind L'Eau, you'd be better off spritzing the aptly-named Dirty, from Gorilla Perfume.

07th July, 2011

manicboy's avatar

Smells like watered down (too much "eau") Chanel Allure Homme and comparing it to AH is doing a disservice. Boring and overpriced. Get Allure Homme instead for half the price and 5x the quality.

30th June, 2011

bartdino's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

...not fresh, not clean...very far from "a clean white shirt"...an heavy and sour juice...

23rd June, 2011

mrcologneguy's avatar

It's easy to understand why Serge Lutens fans have a tendency to be disappointed in L'eau. It's not another of his spicy baroque fantasies, to begin with. Complicating matters: it is rich, subtle, and complex, but it takes several wearings before its finer qualities come to the forefront. Yes, L'eau does seem like a high-quality laundry scent at first - and that is very welcome by some fragrance fans, no doubt. But interesting and subtle effects emerge with repeated wearings. There's a clever "burnt starch" element, some pleasant and pungent florals, various fresh effects, and the whole thing is delivered with amazing clarity and longevity. L'eau has been disparaged for linearity, but the linearity strikes me more as a loop than a straight line. Various elements take turns at the forefront all day long. I find it very entertaining, a perfect scent for office wear, or whenever I want something subtle, sophisticated, and versatile. Hard to imagine a situation in which this superior clean and fresh scent would not be welcome. If you casually dismissed it after only one or two samplings, give it another try. Needs to be sprayed, not modestly dabbed.

20th April, 2011

baudilus's avatar

Not really much going on here, it's just a clean, fresh, citrus scent. I'm surprised that this was released, but I suppose this house is going after "every day" wear rather than frags that seem better for special occasions.

If you have Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey or anything like it, it's too similar to bother owning.

14th April, 2011

Chameleon's avatar

Whilst a complete departure from the usual complex scents I and my customers have embraced L'Eau. It's simplicity and freshness are perfect for a spring / summer day and although I get the clean thing I don't find it too fabric conditionery. It works well on me & my husband!

26th March, 2011

Sybarite's avatar

Premium priced fabric softener ! (Though smelling more like restaurant lemon towelettes). ~ Totally uninspired, or inspiring !
    ~ It's by no means terrible ... just ... so boring !

04th March, 2011

Kaern's avatar

Sporenburg has a point here. I haven't tested L'Eau on my skin yet, but have smelt on a strip. It reminded me of when you first open the washing machine and the, not unpleasant, soapy clean blast that hits you (without the heat). Of course, a lot of water softeners and washing up powders use the same notes and oils that are found in perfumes, albeit on a cheaper scale. I think L'Eau is trying to reach out to a wider audience, so they couldn't really produce another 'Datura Noir' or 'Cedre' and it is a bit disappointing -- it's indicative that a perfumer is not listed. I just hope Lutens has the balls to revert to their more innovative manifesto and not get dragged into the 'perfume vacuum' like Chanel, Dunhill, Dior, Gucci, Davidoff, Boss et al.

Update 7th July 2011
    This was on sale at Les Senteurs for £35 for 100ml -- so snapped it up. Having now worn it for a day (it could have easily been 2 -- amazing longevity), I must admit it does have some generic nuances -- I'm thinking Calvin Klein for some reason, but it always manages to pull itself away and show some class. So, innofensive and not very original, but a delight to wear.

14th January, 2011 (Last Edited: 07th July, 2011)

Sporenburg's avatar

Spain Spain

In his review of the awful Bleu de Chanel Kaern observes “Can you imagine L'Artisan, Lutens, Keiko Mercheri, etc knocking this out -- not a chance.” At the time I agreed of course, but we both obviously hadn’t smelled L’Eau Serge Lutens.

I find this scent to be quite worrying. Not in itself because it is completely inoffensive. Breezy citrus, a wisp of mint, the tiniest drop of musk. Basically, the smell of household anti-bacterial soap or a slightly more refined take on your average fresh/loud designerfrags in ugly purple or silver bottles that are always discounted. One redeeming feature is the longevity which for this type of fragrance is truly outstanding (at least 10 hours.)

What does worry me is that Lutens is actually following the downward spiral Guerlain and Chanel went on (and plenty of us on Basenotes were dismayed by/laughed at.) As for the reasons, one can only speculate. Lack of inspiration? Tired of complexity? Or a conceptual joke? Me, I like conceptual jokes, but not with such a price tag attached.

13th January, 2011

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

The first review was spot on. L’EAU does smell ‘clean’ - very much like the disposable fresh wipes you get at certain seafood restaurants. It might be a touch warmer and less harsh but completely unnecessary in the Lutens line-up. Strictly for avid collectors who are looking to complete their Serge Lutens collection.

04th December, 2010

Persolaise's avatar

According to the (unintentionally?) comical presentation on the SL site, this new creation is supposed to smell like the world's most exclusive soap. Its aim is to convey a long-lasting sensation of wearing clean clothes that have just been taken off a wind-swept washing line. Sure enough, the first whispering notes are ozonic and marine-like. There's a hint of borderline-salty, aquatic transparency, a touch of melon green and the faintest wisps of citrus peel. There's a sprinkling of sweetness. But all is bloodless and quiet. You wonder if the whole thing's going to vanish almost as soon as it's arrived. And then, after a few minutes, you realise that, actually, nothing else is going to happen. The rabbit has been pulled out of the hat and is staring you in the face. You've been given the familiar top notes... and the trick is that they're going to be sustained all the way through to the end.

As far as technical accomplishments go, this is not unimpressive: the sweetness and softness increase - culminating in a translucent vetiveryl drydown - but the central soapiness does remain faithful. However, it also makes you realise that perhaps top notes are as bracing as they are precisely because they're fleeting. Smelling as though you've just stepped out of the shower after having spent the day on an Atlantic beach is undeniably wonderful, but only for a few minutes. Drag the experience on for several hours and the effect you achieve is more like being forced to spend a night on the same beach and not managing to fall asleep because of the drone of a mosquito that just refuses to go away.

07th October, 2010

Kalynne's avatar

Yummy! I received 2 samples and I'm enjoying a fragrance that isn't quite what I go for, but it smells really good on my skin. Warm, rich, citrus on my skin. A bit lemon cream pie with the buttered crust. The aldehyde must bump up the yummy factor of the citrus. This nicely blends with the cotton. I don't smell the mint, but mint loves my skin and it must accentuate the yummy factor. After 9 hours, the light musk is what remains. It's quite a happy scent and provides a sensory respite from a busy work day.

06th October, 2010

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

This is so totally unlike Serge Lutens' usual baroque style- it's the opposite. I wouldn't mind if this actually smelt good but it doesn't. Ozonic, charged air ,abit metallic ,a little plasticky and unfortunately quite strong and lasting . Please pass on this .

04th October, 2010

oxford21's avatar

This is not fresh; it's clean and warm. Opening is a bit confusing but that's everything where you get the citrus part; the real thing comes after an hour, no lemons or anything like that, it does smell like clean white quality cotton freshly iron shirt. It is comforting and warm in a clean non soapy way. No soapiness like Prada Infusion etc. It needs few wearings to understand it but it is totally worth Luten and it's classy scent but predominantly for men IMO. I'm definitely buying it. Last thing this is “clean” scent more suitable for winter or fall not fresh; try to put it on when it is raining or snow.

12th September, 2010

David Ruskin's avatar

I was greatly dissapointed with this as I was expecting something special; and it's not! Just another ozonic fruity floral to join the numerous others. On first spraying I find it actually unpleasant, with an over ripe almost rotten cucumber note; happily this soon goes and all that is left is must, and watery fruits. Rather a bore.

18th August, 2010

scentsitivity's avatar

It reminds me of the scented towels they give you in restaurants, sans the warmth. Citrus and cotton. Clean. In the fragrance world, it reminds me of Nautica’s White Sail, which is relatively cheap and preceded this Lutens offering. Nothing wrong with L’Eau, but I will pass at its price.

18th July, 2010

JonB's avatar

Totally forgettable. Very disappointing for something like this to come from Lutens. I am sure there will be fans, but for the life of me, I find no personality here.

27th June, 2010