Reviews of Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

Find out more about Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Marais's avatar

Legend has it that MiP was created when Olivier Polge dropped a teabag into a flacon of Shalimar. Whatever the truth of that apocryphal tale, it sticks in the memory because it gives a reasonable approximation of the smell. Excellent longevity from 3 sprays of the EdT.

11th November, 2014

CGR's avatar

Now when I first bought MIP I really liked the scent, however now it gives of a very strange smell I can't describe and it is actually quite off putting. to me it just smells stale and to powdery. I find it funny how I can turn on it like that but i on first spray I never smelt what I smell now. It's weird and instead of the scent growing on me, it has done the complete opposite.

05th August, 2014

Aiden's avatar

England England

Really disappointing. I had heard so many good things about this fragrance but im pretty deflated. I shall give it a few tries but im not impressed.

17th April, 2014

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

Fragrance in this day and age is simply not 'juice in a bottle'. It has to be a catchy name, slick bottle and packaging and of course the infamous marketing has to be there too... This fragrance is all of that. But the juice inside is just simply not quite what I'd hoped. There is a lot going on - I get a lot of smoke (bitter smoke I might add), perhaps some vetiver and a tea note. There is also a very distinctive smell of burnt rubber that simply holds me back from getting a full bottle. Granted, it does progress quite a lot throughout the day but for me it is quite uninteresting.
    I think VC&A deserve a lot of praise for the marketing behind this scent - the name and bottle have been put together very cleverly, but the scent just simply does not appeal to me.

09th January, 2014

the reaper's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Powdery and musky.

02nd October, 2013 (Last Edited: 15th September, 2014)

varun's avatar

Powder

i am glad that i ordered sample before purchase. Its too sweet and perfectly suitable for women.

Pros:
    Cons: Smells like women's cologne"

13th July, 2013

kaizer121's avatar

I'm reviewing the EDT, not the EDP. I like this scent, but I can't honestly put my finger on why. It definitely smells unisex, I could see a woman wearing it (I got Shalimar with it today, and while the opening is more feminine the drydown of that supposedly women's fragrance is much more masculine than this is). That's not a bad thing. I often (though not always) find overly masculine fragrances not to be my style.

Having said that I feel like this almost smells generic. I hate to say that because this smells REALLY GOOD but I can't pick out any prominent notes. Honestly, if you asked me what it smells like, I'd probably tell you "Uhhh... cologne?" I get some vanilla, which is odd since that's not a note. I get a little bit of leather. I get some kind fo aquatic almost beachiness in the opening. But I can't really put my finger on WHAT it smells like. Ergo, it's kind of generic.

Having said THAT, this is the best executed fragrance for the money I've ever owned. For less than $40 (4.2 OZ) there isn't a better deal than the EDT on the market to my knowledge. It smells high class, almost like a niche as opposed to a designer. Any guy can wear it because it's so generic, because that makes it a bit versatile. And I'd be remiss not to mention the gorgeous bottle.

Overall, I'd say it's worth a buy. It's a safe and affordable blind buy option.

01st May, 2013

bugsyiii's avatar

Great fragrance!!! This fragrance is very uplifting. MiP draws you in and compels you to search and search and seacrh for every note found in this wonderful fragrance. I really smell the bergamot, lemon, and leather. Such a wonderful fragrance!!! I have the toilette and have not smelled the Parfum version. really would love to so that I can determine a difference if any. I easliy get a days worth as it relates to longevity. My wife the other day said, as we were going to bed...you smell good. I sprayed this on in the morning and this was close to midnight when we were going to bed.

16th March, 2013

FISS80's avatar

Smells like lemon bug spray!! Synthetic, headache inducing nastiness. Made me extremely nauseous. Cannot understand how anyone would find this remotely appealing.

03rd March, 2013

sevendeadlysins's avatar

I really smell the bergamot and lemon. After 30 minutes to an hour this citrus gives way to the leather and green tea.. which gradually is infused, then dominated by sweeter (but not overly sweet) and warm vanilla and benzoin aromas.... Here in the temperate cool climes of Australia, MiP works well on cooler days (15 Celsius or below) and also in winter in evenings. I find it a little astringent on my skin in the warmer months (over 20 Celsius) over the first hour or so. (It's just a personal thing. I don't eat Thai food with lemon grass in it... My palate/olfactory senses are very sensitive to some lemon oils). That being the case, I don't wear MiP at work where air con dictates around 20 Celsius. It lasts over 8 hours of an evening on a cooler night or a weekend daytime (under 15 Celsius). Not my favourite scent, because I have to be selective, rather than impulsive in it's use. But it does stand out from the crowd. I have used about 2/3rds of a 125ml bottle over 2 winters and use it over the cooler months (5 to 6 months of the year) . I am glad I bought it. The bottle is to die for. Will I buy it again? I have about 4 or 5 months to find another scent to replace it. Any suggestions on a replacement? I already us Idole de Lubin and Amouage Jubilation XXV and CDG2 in an evening (and at work too) and can use these 3 scents year round.

06th January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

It's kind of Bvlgari Black with a bit of Dior Homme. The best of both without any of their weaknesses, ie without checking out the excess rubber or iris (for those who do not like that note, I love) XD.

22nd December, 2012

charger's avatar

This gets a thumbs up because it has a really nice bottle, and the fragrance itself is very warm and nice. But on me, this is is too much vanilla. I really don't get any of the other notes except there is a smoky vanilla in the opening which I really like.

I get the comparisons to BB, but I find that a little more interesting and more masculine with the rubber top note. MiP is still a very nice scent, and smells rather warm and cozy on this chilly December day. (This review is for the EdT)

14th December, 2012

jcw122's avatar

This fragrance has become one of my absolute favorites. I won't discuss notes, because technical analysis is not my forte. I will simply say that I love the complexity and depth that this fragrance brings. It is great for cool/cold weather, and I wear it throughout the day, not just in formal/night settings that others will discuss. I personally love wearing it, and my girlfriend enjoys it as well!

Supplementally, projection is good, and longevity is great.

05th November, 2012

's avatar

Midnight In Paris actually remembers me of Bvlgari Black and Armani Code layered. Smells great, thought not very unique. Both EDP and EDT have a great lasting power and good sillage and projection. Sweet leather in an amber base. Solid and good.

29th October, 2012

Francolino's avatar

a sure shot with women.. edp different from edt ..rounder..better the edt ..own them both!

24th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2013)

sjg3839's avatar

This one has that Bulgari Black vibe in the beginning. The middle notes turn slighty powdery with that lily of the valley kicking in with the incense. Nicely done! The price is resonable also. Don't cheat yourself, treat yourself!

22nd October, 2012 (Last Edited: 15th November, 2012)

LANIER's avatar

Midnight in Paris…. The name is like a never-ending romantic cliché that has captured the imagination of artists from Hemmingway to Woody Allen. It is the cliché of love found and lost in the city where love learned to spell its name in French. It is beyond even that for, this midnight is something special. It is more than an evening in Paris; this is a religious conversion into all that is Parisian, a fall from grace into erotic abandon. And it all begins in church.

There is the forbidden love where the lips of star crossed lovers can only meet on the rim of a communion cup. There is the lost love of the soul that can only find a quantum of fleeting comfort in a midnight prayer. There is the fever love that lives in the heart alone and untouched by reality. The unforgiven unrequited love that is so sweet and deadly that it is irresistible to some poor souls who know not how to love in any other way. This opiate of love is whispered in Gods ear in hopes of just one returned smile. It is a drug and there is no cure but to die. These loves hang heavy in the incensed air and swirl slowly just above the heads of the faithful in one church in Paris, L'église de la Madeleine, the church of the Madeleine.

From the street it looks like a pagan temple to Venus. But when you enter in the late afternoon it is bathed in golden candle light of hope. The heavy perfume of the lingering incense from morning mass is oriental and comes up over the eons from ancient Rome. That very incense held over from the worship of the old gods and in it you can feel that it has embodied the intertwining war of lust and redemption for millennia. Lovers meet in this church, some to go off into the midnight in ethereal newness of love. Some meet here to marry love and some to burry a lover that is lost. And a few come to pray for an ending to love. No one leaves the Earth without dying a little from one touch of Venus.

For me, this is Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef and Arpels. Opening with leather, ringed in holly, citrus, rosemary like a pagan wreath on a temple wall. This wreath of scent is set on fire as it touches the skin only to smolder with the incense that comes at once from the base to hold court throughout the life of the perfume. The mid notes of lily of the valley, tea and the balsamic smoky leather of the styrax only add to the soft powdered evolution of the incense. When the dry down comes the transformation is subtle on the wings of amber, benzoin, bitter almonds and a lingering of that pagan eastern incense that is supported by the vanillin charms of the Tonka bean.

If you wear Midnight in Paris to church the nuns will notice for the silage is sinfully bold. The whole event from first spray to the death of this lovely thing is around seven hours. Some may say it leans toward the feminine but I say it is daringly oriental and deeply erotic. Be warned, wearing Midnight in Paris on a Friday night may land you in a confessional on Saturday morning.

09th October, 2012

ajstudly's avatar

This is a true masterpiece one of my favorites. I only sampled and own the EDP version. The bottle is one of the best bottles I have seen and looks great displayed. The scent lasts very long for me. I actually sprayed it on and the next day put on a bracelet that I had on and it overpowered the scent I just put on. The scent is best for nights out and date nights. I have worn for both and have received many compliments from strangers and friends. Its a sweet smell. I would recomend if looking for a fine night scent.

28th August, 2012

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

This is one of the great fragrances of the 21st century. Very comforting, very pleasant, well done and a sexy scent. Has nuances of leather, tonka bean and that mystic incense vibe that envelops the fragrance, just absolutely magical. Not only is the scent spectacular, but the bottle presentation is one of the most stunning ones on the market. Perfect for the romantics out there.
    Longevity and projection are quite good with this (especially in the EDP concentration). Speaking of which, both the EDT and EDP are basically identical in smell.
    Overall, this is a modern masterpiece, and bound to become a legend in the fragrance game.

12th August, 2012

dollars&scents's avatar

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels - One is initially treated to an exotic, somewhat sparkling, citrus blend. Tart and tangy lemon, along with a rather green and resinous bergamot interplay with a sweetly camphoraceous and aromatic rosemary. An undertone of a birch-tar leather also presents, with a resultant offshoot from its intermingling with the cirtus accord, whereby a phenolic and smoky, rubbery note surfaces. Transitioning to the heart, the leather is bathed in the delicate, green floral of lily of the valley as well as the fresh and vegetal aspects of matcha green tea. A faint, powdery presence can be sensed. And, a nascent styrax, with its vanilla ice-cream facet, serves as a backdrop, and carries the leather brew to its base. Here, the sweetish styrax intermingles with a sweetly vanillic benzoin, with its nuances of almond and cherry, as well as a spicy and creamy, vanilla-like, tonka bean, with its hints of clove, cinnamon and nuttiness. A heightened, powdery feel can be sensed. And, a smokey, sweetish incense flutters about. A markedly sweet drydown ensues. This somewhat elegant composition is androgynous, if not teetering on the feminine side, and has average projection, basically a skin scent, and good longevity, some 8+ hours.

02nd July, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar

This does smell a little bit like Bulgari Black, but it is more powdery, sweet and overall better.

Sophisticated and mysterious. This one is very unique and I'm really thinking about buying this one. It is sweet and powdery, somewhat feminine (so it can be unisex). The title Midnight In Paris is perfect. This is definitely something I imagine for a prom or romantic evening. It feels very magical and surreal. It's really hard to describe this one with words. Excellently priced. Just go out and get this one.

Seasons: Winter, Spring, Fall

Rating: 8/10

30th June, 2012 (Last Edited: 12th July, 2012)

silentrich's avatar

This fragrance is beautiful from the opening to the drydown. It does resemble Bulgari Black, but the rubber note is toned down in MiP and has a creamier mix with the vanilla and leather. If your looking for a masculine or playful gourmand then look elsewhere. If your looking for a quality fragrance that'll take your breath away look no further.

08th May, 2012

killerloop's avatar

Frostyicy's review basically sums up my feelings on this gem. I also blind bought the EDP after recommendations were given to me to test this out. For the extra eight or nine dollars, go for the EDP.

This is one of those fragrances that I feel does not get enough attention. A hidden gem indeed.

Classy, beautiful, sexy and unique.

27th April, 2012

jamwires's avatar

I blind bought the EDT for cheap, didn't expect too much from it.

There's a smoothness and warmth that exudes class, while the slight essence of rubber keeps things interesting enough to maintain my attention. Very good.

And that bottle. What a thing of beauty.

EDIT - for the record, the EDT is slightly less powdery and seems to project better on me than the EDP

13th April, 2012 (Last Edited: 26th July, 2012)

frostyicy's avatar

Review of the EdP:

Midnight in Paris.....what is there to say about this fragrance, other than it is absolutely, undoubtedly one of the best fragrances I have ever had the pleasure of smelling.

It easily made its way to be my signature scent.

Where many describe this scent as more of a romantic night out scent(in which it is), this can also easily be worn daily.

This fragrance is by far my definition of smooth elegance and sexy. Many consider this fragrance to be unisex yet to me there is something masculine about this, it could be the leather note that makes it masculine. I can't see any male wearing this and a female not drooling over it. I have received countless compliments from the ladies which is always a big plus.

This fragrance has a subtle powdery sweetness to it. The floral note is very well done in this fragrance. To my nose the notes that make the biggest impact are definitely all of the base notes and the hit of leather. The almond in the base makes this fragrance have a creamy vibe to it.

As many others have stated this can be compared to Dior Homme, Bvlgari Black, and Armani Code. Both this and Dior Homme share the same perfumier and it shows in both fragrances.

When I wear this I could imagine myself out on a date with a beautiful gorgeous woman in the night time cool of the spring. We have been to dinner casually dressed attire. We then decide to go for a stroll through a park. We sit down on a park bench and gaze into the beautiful night time sky having a nice conversation. She nestles under me and fully embraces my essence and the fragrance of a Midnight in Paris.

All in all this fragrance is a very elegant, smooth and sexy. Also the bottle....pictures does the bottle no justice easily the best bottle every created. A must have for the classy elegant man, who is confident in himself.

Sillage/Projection: 10/10 after 8 hours of wearing I still received compliments.
    Longevity 10/10 Easily lasts 16 hours on my skin.
    Scent: 10/10
    Compliment factor: 10/10 Many, Many, Many....
    Purpose: 10/10
    Season: Will work in any season.

03rd April, 2012

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

In a perfume shop when I bought several bottles, the sales man gave me a small bottle of this fragrance (4 ml EDT) and said hey, give this one a try sucker! :d
    When I put it on my skin .... oh man! it's so so familiar!
    Yes. Dior Homme Intense opening. Yes!
    That Iris and vanilla smell was in this fragrance too but without coco and a little weaker that DHI. in the dry down instead of sweet vanilla and coco combo, I got sweet leather and vanilla combo with small amount of incense which give this fragrance rubber fell with sweet vanilla just like Bvlgari Black. very nice :)
    Very good projection and longevity with this fragrance.
    So if you want to have DHI opening and Bvlgari Black dry down and base notes in a bottle, this is for you guys.

02nd February, 2012

Jridgen's avatar

As others have said this one has obvious similarities to Bvlgari Black. It also compares pretty closely with Dior Homme Intense and Armani Code. Although I do not like it as much as DHI, it has that certain sex appeal that missing from the "nice guy" smelling Code. I have only tried the Edt and get 5-7 hours of longevity, average projection. It's a very warm and comforting scent.

30th December, 2011

govinda8's avatar

When I first received this sample I didn't know it was a masculine scent. I actually don't know any man who would wear this. The top notes are a little sharp and leathery, but after that it dries down into the sweetest tonka/vanilla and floral scent. It has a nice medium sillage and stays on my skin for hours. I'm not crazy about the first few minutes, but the drydown is so great I think I'm going to buy a whole bottle.

10th November, 2011

mrblah's avatar

It smells like Dior Homme Intense without the lipstick/makeup note. It has a really smooth sweet, powdery floral finish, similar to DHI. I didn't really get the leather note in this fragrance though. Therefore it is a bit one dimentional, but it is very versatile. You can wear this pretty much any time of the year and with any type of attire.

Since I don't really crave attention with my frags, I really enjoy this fragrance for what it is, a clean, fresh and warm fragrance. However, if you want something similar to DHI without the lipstick note, then this fragrance is for you. IF you want the lipstick note and a overall more complex frag, then stay with DH/DHI.

This to me is a perfect everyday scent.

01st November, 2011 (Last Edited: 07th November, 2011)

paradigm's avatar

Could have lived without this one for sure. As stated many times, It smells like blvgari black and is actually lighter and has less longevity for me. I defiantly see no resemblance to Dior Homme in any fashion or form; not even in the same class or worth being mentioned in the same sentence together. I do have the EDT of this. Those with the EDP may have a different experience.

23rd October, 2011