Reviews of Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

Find out more about Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

RickyDot's avatar

I cannot fathom how anyone would think this smells like 'lemon bug spray'. Boggles my mind, truly.

This is one of the most pleasant smelling colognes I've laid nose on. Not everyone might enjoy the smell of a woman's makeup bag, but I do and I have no problem smelling like that all day every day.

Soft, warm, sweet, powdery, gives off that vanilla essence due to the tonka bean I guess. Comforting and relaxed. Just perfect.

Also, the best projection of my entire collection so far. I bought most of my collection due to good reviews but none of them project very well at all. I can smell this one on my arms while sitting at my desk or driving hours after applying it.

28th March, 2015 (Last Edited: 02nd April, 2015)

PerfumeCollector's avatar

I have to agree with all those reviewers that consider MiP VC&A somewhat feminine. As it dries down it becomes more leathery and masculine but there is a persisting sweetness that prevents it to become fully masculine.
    But it is a nice scent regardless

27th March, 2015

MFfan310's avatar

Bought a 4.2 oz of this one for under $30 shipped. And with rumors of discontinuation floating around for a fragrance this good, I have to say: If you like powdery men's orientals, buy this. NOW.

Personally, I think this fragrance is a true masculine sister scent to Guerlain's legendary Shalimar. (Habit Rouge just never cut it for me.) The vanillic musky incense drydown, the citrus at the top, and the leather all give it a Shalimar vibe without some of the more feminine aspects of Shalimar. Some similarities to Bvlgari Black are apparent in the topnotes, but without the screechy rubber that makes the Bvlgari only wearable if you're in the automotive or auto part manufacturing professions.

Note: this review is for the EdT. And with longevity and sillage as good as it is, I see no reason to buy the EdP.

27th March, 2015

Onderbroekenlol's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Someone said this is a combo of Dior Homme Intense and Armani Code both are 9's this scent is a 1.Just plain awfull....this scent has nothing and it will become nothing a waist of money it is....even for 20 euro!!!

25th March, 2015

Colin Maillard's avatar

Midnight in Paris falls within that category of scents which start just wrong, but then become more than remarkable. I mean, most of the times it’s rather the contrary – scents which are good and rich at first, then easily lose the magic soon. The first minutes here are a blast of almost nauseating sweet and kind of “bread-ish” Oriental notes comprising powdery resins, almond, something like hay, a generic “clean-smoky” synthetic wood (I guess the “incense” note) and something musky-floral, with rubbery suede lying underneath. I also get the “tea” especially on the drydown, which is quite similar to the tea in Gucci pour Homme II or Tea for Two by L’Artisan. Also if you know Equistrius by Parfum d’Empire, Midnight reminded me that a bit (I guess because of hay, suede and powdery notes). But at the beginning, all of that is quite loud, quite more on the sweeter-edible side, and overall not exactly the most elegant smell around. Still, as minutes pass Midnight in Paris tames down and “tilts back” to a more pleasant balance, becoming more and more enjoyable and finally reaching a truly remarkable drydown. At this final stage – which luckily arrives quite soon – the blend focuses on a really sophisticated sort of velvety, rubbery suede-woody base with a sprinkle of Oriental powdery-gourmand notes – just a sprinkle, now. A couple of key nuances make this quite distinctive and really pleasant: suede, hay and powder (I call it “powder” but actually think more of almond and tonka; it just smells really dusty, slightly floral and kind of “feminine” as if there was some orris - precisely like powder, shortly). Classy, really “velvety”, warm and cozy, basically a sort of hybrid between Bulgari Black and Dior Homme; sweeter and brighter than Black, but darker, drier and more “grey” than the Dior’s. Give it a chance!

7,5/10

24th March, 2015

sarlac1's avatar

Soak a sugar cube in good bourbon, wrap it in a cloud of cotton balls sprinkled with baby powder, and this is what I get when I wear this out at night to dinner with my woman in the winter.

11th March, 2015

cheshiredave1's avatar

I've not read every single review yet, but has nobody mentioned the similarity to Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin? Which I guess is liquorice and vanilla, in essence. Maybe a bit of smoke.

I don't have a super-sensitive sense of smell, so I am probably not picking up any small differences that others may find.

I need to do a more precise side-by-side comparison, but I think LL just wins by a nose - no pun intended.

As for Bulgari Black comparisons, my BB spray mech jammed (the twiest and spray thing) so I can't remember tat oen too well.

The vanilla - or should I say tonka? - means it lasts a good while and 'clings' to clothes, so bear in mind.

07th March, 2015

snowdrop's avatar

Many have compared Midnight in Paris to Bulgari Black, which is one of my all time favourites.

I can see the resemblance, but for those of you who dislike the smoky rubber notes of Black, you'll probably prefer the softer, more rounded feel of Midnight in Paris. I find the drydown slightly more masculine and detect a hint of tobacco (not cigarettes, more like loose tobacco in a pouch). It's sweet though, with a warm tonka, and overall it seems to rest somewhere between Bulgari Black and Chergui, slightly sweeter than Chergui I'd say.

I like Black for evening in winter, but Midnight in Paris is a comfortable wear on winter days too. I've spent a few evenings in Paris in winter and this could indeed be the scent of a back street lined with cosy, traditional restaurants. It's a perfume well suited to low key artsy evening events, or maybe sitting around with friends at one of those hookah cafes! Warm, snuggly on a woolen scarf.

Great on men or women - whoever likes warm vanilla leather perfumes

12th February, 2015

freewheelingvagabond's avatar

India India

This review is of the EdT.
    I am really impressed with the quality of fragrances from the house of Van Cleef and Arpels. Midnight in Paris is their latest release for men, and is a great release to boot. I detect some citrus with hints of chocolate, and a very smooth leather note. Perfect for a date, perfect on evening outs and for dinners. I can imagine one wearing this in the daytime as well, but not in summer. Perfect for evenings and nights in all seasons. I can also very well imagine this on a woman. The performance of the EdT is very good on my skin.
    A great fragrance. I can hardly wait to try the EdT.

30th January, 2015

RUDOLFO512's avatar

(EDT) Elegant and sophisticated! Midnight In Paris is a true masterpiece by Olivier Polge. I can smell the leather, benzoin and incense. It is sweet, powdery and very pleasant. Perfect for the office and daytime wear. I also own the EDP and I use this one for night time.

17th December, 2014

Marais's avatar

Legend has it that MiP was created when Olivier Polge dropped a teabag into a flacon of Shalimar. Whatever the truth of that apocryphal tale, it sticks in the memory because it gives a reasonable approximation of the smell. Excellent longevity from 3 sprays of the EdT.

11th November, 2014

CGR's avatar

Now when I first bought MIP I really liked the scent, however now it gives of a very strange smell I can't describe and it is actually quite off putting. to me it just smells stale and to powdery. I find it funny how I can turn on it like that but i on first spray I never smelt what I smell now. It's weird and instead of the scent growing on me, it has done the complete opposite.

05th August, 2014

Aiden's avatar

England England

Really disappointing. I had heard so many good things about this fragrance but im pretty deflated. I shall give it a few tries but im not impressed.

17th April, 2014

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

Fragrance in this day and age is simply not 'juice in a bottle'. It has to be a catchy name, slick bottle and packaging and of course the infamous marketing has to be there too... This fragrance is all of that. But the juice inside is just simply not quite what I'd hoped. There is a lot going on - I get a lot of smoke (bitter smoke I might add), perhaps some vetiver and a tea note. There is also a very distinctive smell of burnt rubber that simply holds me back from getting a full bottle. Granted, it does progress quite a lot throughout the day but for me it is quite uninteresting.
    I think VC&A deserve a lot of praise for the marketing behind this scent - the name and bottle have been put together very cleverly, but the scent just simply does not appeal to me.

09th January, 2014

the reaper's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Powdery and musky.

02nd October, 2013 (Last Edited: 15th September, 2014)

varun's avatar

Powder

i am glad that i ordered sample before purchase. Its too sweet and perfectly suitable for women.

Pros:
    Cons: Smells like women's cologne"

13th July, 2013

kaizer121's avatar

I'm reviewing the EDT, not the EDP. I like this scent, but I can't honestly put my finger on why. It definitely smells unisex, I could see a woman wearing it (I got Shalimar with it today, and while the opening is more feminine the drydown of that supposedly women's fragrance is much more masculine than this is). That's not a bad thing. I often (though not always) find overly masculine fragrances not to be my style.

Having said that I feel like this almost smells generic. I hate to say that because this smells REALLY GOOD but I can't pick out any prominent notes. Honestly, if you asked me what it smells like, I'd probably tell you "Uhhh... cologne?" I get some vanilla, which is odd since that's not a note. I get a little bit of leather. I get some kind fo aquatic almost beachiness in the opening. But I can't really put my finger on WHAT it smells like. Ergo, it's kind of generic.

Having said THAT, this is the best executed fragrance for the money I've ever owned. For less than $40 (4.2 OZ) there isn't a better deal than the EDT on the market to my knowledge. It smells high class, almost like a niche as opposed to a designer. Any guy can wear it because it's so generic, because that makes it a bit versatile. And I'd be remiss not to mention the gorgeous bottle.

Overall, I'd say it's worth a buy. It's a safe and affordable blind buy option.

01st May, 2013

bugsyiii's avatar

Great fragrance!!! This fragrance is very uplifting. MiP draws you in and compels you to search and search and seacrh for every note found in this wonderful fragrance. I really smell the bergamot, lemon, and leather. Such a wonderful fragrance!!! I have the toilette and have not smelled the Parfum version. really would love to so that I can determine a difference if any. I easliy get a days worth as it relates to longevity. My wife the other day said, as we were going to bed...you smell good. I sprayed this on in the morning and this was close to midnight when we were going to bed.

16th March, 2013

FISS80's avatar

Smells like lemon bug spray!! Synthetic, headache inducing nastiness. Made me extremely nauseous. Cannot understand how anyone would find this remotely appealing.

03rd March, 2013

sevendeadlysins's avatar

I really smell the bergamot and lemon. After 30 minutes to an hour this citrus gives way to the leather and green tea.. which gradually is infused, then dominated by sweeter (but not overly sweet) and warm vanilla and benzoin aromas.... Here in the temperate cool climes of Australia, MiP works well on cooler days (15 Celsius or below) and also in winter in evenings. I find it a little astringent on my skin in the warmer months (over 20 Celsius) over the first hour or so. (It's just a personal thing. I don't eat Thai food with lemon grass in it... My palate/olfactory senses are very sensitive to some lemon oils). That being the case, I don't wear MiP at work where air con dictates around 20 Celsius. It lasts over 8 hours of an evening on a cooler night or a weekend daytime (under 15 Celsius). Not my favourite scent, because I have to be selective, rather than impulsive in it's use. But it does stand out from the crowd. I have used about 2/3rds of a 125ml bottle over 2 winters and use it over the cooler months (5 to 6 months of the year) . I am glad I bought it. The bottle is to die for. Will I buy it again? I have about 4 or 5 months to find another scent to replace it. Any suggestions on a replacement? I already us Idole de Lubin and Amouage Jubilation XXV and CDG2 in an evening (and at work too) and can use these 3 scents year round.

06th January, 2013

Mandrake's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

It's kind of Bvlgari Black with a bit of Dior Homme. The best of both without any of their weaknesses, ie without checking out the excess rubber or iris (for those who do not like that note, I love) XD.

22nd December, 2012

charger's avatar

This gets a thumbs up because it has a really nice bottle, and the fragrance itself is very warm and nice. But on me, this is is too much vanilla. I really don't get any of the other notes except there is a smoky vanilla in the opening which I really like.

I get the comparisons to BB, but I find that a little more interesting and more masculine with the rubber top note. MiP is still a very nice scent, and smells rather warm and cozy on this chilly December day. (This review is for the EdT)

14th December, 2012

jcw122's avatar

This fragrance has become one of my absolute favorites. I won't discuss notes, because technical analysis is not my forte. I will simply say that I love the complexity and depth that this fragrance brings. It is great for cool/cold weather, and I wear it throughout the day, not just in formal/night settings that others will discuss. I personally love wearing it, and my girlfriend enjoys it as well!

Supplementally, projection is good, and longevity is great.

05th November, 2012

's avatar

Midnight In Paris actually remembers me of Bvlgari Black and Armani Code layered. Smells great, thought not very unique. Both EDP and EDT have a great lasting power and good sillage and projection. Sweet leather in an amber base. Solid and good.

29th October, 2012

Francolino's avatar

a sure shot with women.. edp different from edt ..rounder..better the edt ..own them both!

24th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2013)

sjg3839's avatar

This one has that Bulgari Black vibe in the beginning. The middle notes turn slighty powdery with that lily of the valley kicking in with the incense. Nicely done! The price is resonable also. Don't cheat yourself, treat yourself!

22nd October, 2012 (Last Edited: 15th November, 2012)

LANIER's avatar

Midnight in Paris…. The name is like a never-ending romantic cliché that has captured the imagination of artists from Hemmingway to Woody Allen. It is the cliché of love found and lost in the city where love learned to spell its name in French. It is beyond even that for, this midnight is something special. It is more than an evening in Paris; this is a religious conversion into all that is Parisian, a fall from grace into erotic abandon. And it all begins in church.

There is the forbidden love where the lips of star crossed lovers can only meet on the rim of a communion cup. There is the lost love of the soul that can only find a quantum of fleeting comfort in a midnight prayer. There is the fever love that lives in the heart alone and untouched by reality. The unforgiven unrequited love that is so sweet and deadly that it is irresistible to some poor souls who know not how to love in any other way. This opiate of love is whispered in Gods ear in hopes of just one returned smile. It is a drug and there is no cure but to die. These loves hang heavy in the incensed air and swirl slowly just above the heads of the faithful in one church in Paris, L'église de la Madeleine, the church of the Madeleine.

From the street it looks like a pagan temple to Venus. But when you enter in the late afternoon it is bathed in golden candle light of hope. The heavy perfume of the lingering incense from morning mass is oriental and comes up over the eons from ancient Rome. That very incense held over from the worship of the old gods and in it you can feel that it has embodied the intertwining war of lust and redemption for millennia. Lovers meet in this church, some to go off into the midnight in ethereal newness of love. Some meet here to marry love and some to burry a lover that is lost. And a few come to pray for an ending to love. No one leaves the Earth without dying a little from one touch of Venus.

For me, this is Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef and Arpels. Opening with leather, ringed in holly, citrus, rosemary like a pagan wreath on a temple wall. This wreath of scent is set on fire as it touches the skin only to smolder with the incense that comes at once from the base to hold court throughout the life of the perfume. The mid notes of lily of the valley, tea and the balsamic smoky leather of the styrax only add to the soft powdered evolution of the incense. When the dry down comes the transformation is subtle on the wings of amber, benzoin, bitter almonds and a lingering of that pagan eastern incense that is supported by the vanillin charms of the Tonka bean.

If you wear Midnight in Paris to church the nuns will notice for the silage is sinfully bold. The whole event from first spray to the death of this lovely thing is around seven hours. Some may say it leans toward the feminine but I say it is daringly oriental and deeply erotic. Be warned, wearing Midnight in Paris on a Friday night may land you in a confessional on Saturday morning.

09th October, 2012

ajstudly's avatar

This is a true masterpiece one of my favorites. I only sampled and own the EDP version. The bottle is one of the best bottles I have seen and looks great displayed. The scent lasts very long for me. I actually sprayed it on and the next day put on a bracelet that I had on and it overpowered the scent I just put on. The scent is best for nights out and date nights. I have worn for both and have received many compliments from strangers and friends. Its a sweet smell. I would recomend if looking for a fine night scent.

28th August, 2012

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

This is one of the great fragrances of the 21st century. Very comforting, very pleasant, well done and a sexy scent. Has nuances of leather, tonka bean and that mystic incense vibe that envelops the fragrance, just absolutely magical. Not only is the scent spectacular, but the bottle presentation is one of the most stunning ones on the market. Perfect for the romantics out there.
    Longevity and projection are quite good with this (especially in the EDP concentration). Speaking of which, both the EDT and EDP are basically identical in smell.
    Overall, this is a modern masterpiece, and bound to become a legend in the fragrance game.

12th August, 2012

dollars&scents's avatar

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels - One is initially treated to an exotic, somewhat sparkling, citrus blend. Tart and tangy lemon, along with a rather green and resinous bergamot interplay with a sweetly camphoraceous and aromatic rosemary. An undertone of a birch-tar leather also presents, with a resultant offshoot from its intermingling with the cirtus accord, whereby a phenolic and smoky, rubbery note surfaces. Transitioning to the heart, the leather is bathed in the delicate, green floral of lily of the valley as well as the fresh and vegetal aspects of matcha green tea. A faint, powdery presence can be sensed. And, a nascent styrax, with its vanilla ice-cream facet, serves as a backdrop, and carries the leather brew to its base. Here, the sweetish styrax intermingles with a sweetly vanillic benzoin, with its nuances of almond and cherry, as well as a spicy and creamy, vanilla-like, tonka bean, with its hints of clove, cinnamon and nuttiness. A heightened, powdery feel can be sensed. And, a smokey, sweetish incense flutters about. A markedly sweet drydown ensues. This somewhat elegant composition is androgynous, if not teetering on the feminine side, and has average projection, basically a skin scent, and good longevity, some 8+ hours.

02nd July, 2012