Positive Reviews of The Smell of Freedom by Gorilla Perfume

Find out more about The Smell of Freedom by Gorilla Perfume in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ScentFan's avatar

What does freedom smell like? Pretty darned good. Like incense and...violets? Notes: Lemongrass, lemon myrtle, neroli, jasmine, ginger, fire tree, clove, black pepper, sandalwood, oudh and orris. The woods and the spice and the oudh mask the jasmine, but now I'm beginning to realize that when I think the florals are beautiful there's usually jasmine or jasmine and rose. I also detect the neroli. Looking orris up, it's the dried root of the iris plant, used to build violet notes and lends powderiness. So orris is what I picked up at first. What's fire tree oil smell like? Can't find a description. Overall, this is good, but not for me.

29 December, 2013

EclecticXntrick's avatar

I'm not a big perfume wearer, mostly because perfumes are generally too flowery sweet to me. Reading the reviews of other members, I'm not sure I have anything intelligent to add but this is the first scent I've found available that I've been willing to pay money for and wear in YEARS.

I feel the other reviewers describes The Smell of Freedom well but I also detect a musky undertone that intrigues me. I like a spicy musky scent so I really like this. I have tried both the stick and the small spray versions and like the stick version best. To me it's more intimate than the spray version. The sales person described the difference as more intimate as well saying: 'Wear the stick when you want your husband to smell it. Wear the spray when you want everyone to smell it.'

06 May, 2013

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

A fluorescently bright lemongrass and jasmine over Australian sandalwood. Isn’t that first hour of freedom always the best? Unfortunately a shrill metallic note stalks the fragrance, while the citrus notes eventually run amok and eclipse the delicate 'Oudh heart' of this olfactory triptych (you can smell the components in isolation at select Lush stores). Pleasant nonetheless.

11th September, 2012

Persolaise's avatar

On a basic level, The Smell Of Freedom operates like a jasmine-infused cologne: the freshness of neroli and lemongrass combine with white blossoms to produce the sort of soothing effect many of us would associate with bottles of 4711. However, there is much more on offer to the attentive wearer. Powdery elegance appears in the form of orris, whilst a combination of woods (including, according to the official ingredients, a touch of oud) provides an infusion of warmth. The result is a beguiling brew that veers between wispy lightness and almost unbearable bleakness, very much like liberty itself.

27 October, 2010

avanatty's avatar

Germany Germany

I think this is fantastic. Very spicy and woody but totally unisex with a very pleasant sweetness. It's calming yet somehow uplifting too. I'm not sure it's for everyone, but if you like brighter and fresher woody scents this is a really good choice.

09 October, 2010

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

The very first blast is of a rather unpleasant generic masculine notes but then it settles down to a more smokey tea scent, it reminds me very strongly of Tea for Two but the jasmine give it a hint of soap. The combination of the bitter notes and the freshness jasmine works rather well. I would say it's a very unisex scent because of it.

05 October, 2010

Agnes's avatar

England England

This is my favourite of the new Gorilla Perfumes range, the fresh lemongrass scent reminds me of my mother who was fond of 4711 cologne in the day time. It is so much more than that though and is truly uplifting and lasts for hours on me! Everyone should try the samples, Gorilla Perfumes are a revelation, nothing offensive here.

21st September, 2010

rosbif's avatar

The Smell of Freedom tries to do everything, and does most of it well. The citrus top almost grabs your full attention; the oudh heart gathers momentum; and the drydown gets you most of the way there. I suspect Constantine realised he’d caught lightning in a bottle with Breath of God and wanted a repeat performance, but lightning doesn’t strike in the same place twice. ***

13 September, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2013)