Reviews of Aventus by Creed

Probably the best fragrance on the market. The Lionel Messi of Fragrances if you will.
15th November, 2018
I just got my Creed.
I'm not a perfume specialist, but I think I have a good fragrance memory.
Testing it for the first time, it took me to my good old Halston Z14 in a blink.
Although Halston Z14 was never my first choice, it was my wife's favorite by far among all of my fragrances during past couple of decades.
I hope Creed would work the same!
14th November, 2018
What can I say about Creed Aventus that hasn't already been said? Nothing, likely. Though here's my review. Aventus is the pinnacle of modern, masculine-centric perfumery. It is a testament to the art that created it. Yes indeed, it is immensely popular. Yes, it smells incredible. And yes, some folks scream "overrated" because of its exposure. It is unequivocally - and quite subjectively - perfection in a bottle for many people, including me.

Wearing Aventus is a lesson in dichotomy. It is fruity, yet woody. It is distinctly green, yet gourmand. It is dry and mossy, yet very "wet." It is dark and brooding, yet energizing and hopeful.

The legendary opening is the best I've ever smelled for a "men's" fragrance. It is dominated by pineapple, apple, and blackcurrant. Within an hour, the fruity introduction gives way to rich birch and rose across a base layer of vanilla and ambergris. Have patience. Throughout its duration, Aventus reveals itself in a flurry of dry birch and oakmoss, while ambergris suggests a damp, earthy forest floor.

Aventus must be smelled to be believed. It bears passing resemblance to other popular fragrances, yet it is nothing like other popular fragrances. It pays homage to its rich history, yet never relies on archaic notes or cheap tricks to convey its meaning. Aventus is a black suit, a pair of jeans, a tuxedo, a fleece jacket, a white shirt, and a brown sweater. It is a motorcycle, a fast car, a crackling fireplace, a snow-covered lawn, and a walk through the woods. It is concrete, grass, air, and water. It is elemental.

Vanilla is present yet never dominant, and the jasmine and rose are expertly blended. Aventus is never a floral. Nor is it a gourmand, nor is it a spicy wood, nor is it green. Aventus is Aventus in the same way Fahrenheit is Fahrenheit. Don't be fooled by imitators: they may be 90% of the way there, but they are not Aventus.

Aventus is all of this. The ultimate exercise in olfactory polemics, and a timeless masterpiece. Unqualified thumbs up for any season or event.

Scent: 10/10
Longevity: 10/10
Sillage: 10/10
31st October, 2018

I just wrote a review but it seems to have logged me out in the meantime so I hope it doesn't double post, if so please delete

I bought quite a few samples recently and will start to go through them one by one and write my comments. Aventus comes first as it was highly recommended.

I want to say at first it starts out "friendly", there is a fruity sweetness that is not sweet in the way that many fragrances are "in your face" but it is there nonetheless. There is also a pronounced depth from beginning to end which counterbalances it and gives it masculinity - but not in the obnoxious "smell you from a mile away / salesman-businessman" cliche of masculine fragrances of old. It is modern but comfortable, and I feel like it could blend into fabrics really well - like a sweater, or I could potentially see this doing well lingering on a scarf. I could potentially buy a full bottle of this!
21st October, 2018
Overhyped? Perhaps. Nice? Yes.

I had heard so much about this one that I had to get one for myself. Without sampling it. Well, I may have been a bit disappointed at first coz of the hype online. It's a nice fragrance, lots of pineapple is what I get. Feels premium and well blended. I haven't tried other batches so I don't know about batch variations, but I believe there are variations, which at this price point, is in my books unacceptable.

Well worth the spend. hmmmm...yes, maybe not.

p.s. unlike most, I don't get into the notes, etc. It's all there for everyone to see on this site as well as other places on the net. I'm not a pro, just a novice collector.
20th October, 2018
Ah Aventus... the scent trail of an alpha male among betas and omegas stalking his territory in a late-stage capitalism society which confuses merit with equity, exalting career criminals as business leaders and decries empathy as a vestige of weakness to be bred out like a recessive gene. The marketing campaign of the fragrance itself places the notorious Napoleon Bonaparte at it's center, a chauvinist and narcissist who is literally the poster child for a complex meant to diagnose insecurity in men, and indeed Aventus (2010) targets that very same insecurity in it's market, as almost a wonder drug made to cure it. The unforseen consequence for this is Creed pulling in customers from way below the pay grade of their ideal client, which has made Aventus borderline-mainstream, or about as mainstream as a $500MSRP men's fragrance can get, which has led to a slew of low-cost clones, and a robust decanting market willing to sell little chips off of large commercial-sized urns Creed makes knowingly for resellers. Factor in all the seemingly-intentional batch fluctuation (poor quality control IMO), and a whole new hysteria of finding "the perfect version" of the already "perfect" man-juice is manifest, seeing working stiffs going off the psychological deep end in their quest for the biggest deus ex machina to use in their socio-economic conquest of each other. Whew... that's some heavy shit man.. now for the scent itself. Aventus is actually pretty unique, and once you parse away the Randian and Nietzschian drivel that has attached itself to the stuff like a social parasite (delicious irony), you're left with a slightly smokey, fruity floral which sits between fresh fougère and chypre but ultimately swings chypre because of the labadanum and oakmoss in the base. I haven't dealt with much of the variation, so my review may not apply to your batch, but the amount of "smoke" in mine is subtle, and the pineapple is also not terribly overwhelming either, so maybe I have some "Goldilocks" batch where all the sliders are at neutral? Who knows? Who cares? Shall we carry on?

Aventus is far too fair and pretty a scent to be aligned with such "toxic masculinity" culture as it's marketing has fostered, which may also be part of it's appeal for me: it's tragic beauty caught in the throws of it's own misgivings, carried off by the demons it's very existence summons, leaving those who smell it unawares to be captivated whilst blissfully ignorant of it's notoriety, upon which once learned, transform that captivation to contempt. The scent opens with pineapple, blackcurrant, and French apples carried aloft on a ray of dry bergamot, giving a fruity hesperidic zesty sweetness that will never not turn heads; the opening of Aventus is where all the magic happens, and the rest of the composition serves to lock in that opening note with supporting bedrocks. Jasmine and rose make an appearance in the middle, like many men's floral chypres of old, but liberated of the indole or sharp green galbanum that usually makes this combo feel "perfumey". Instead, there's a dry lightness which is almost unisex in the middle, joined by a rather medicinal take on patchouli, with birch and a peck of vetiver for the oft-quoted "pineapple smoke" of the heart. The base is pure Creed with an authentic ambergris note, joined by oakmoss and a white musk which adds a touch of the modern "laundry" aspect which reminds you this is from 2010. There's Iso E Super here too, and some dry vanilla, but little else, as the point is to let that opening fruity hesperidic floral accord dominate, and it's all rather dandy for a scent lauded by gym bros as a lady killer... ahh all the more deliciously ironic. Aventus actually feels like it benefits from being a distinctive fruity floral scent in an age of aquatics or scratchy woods, and if something like this saw release in the late 80's like other things similar, it would be long discontinued now and exalted by the vintage community instead of the six-figure set or those hopeful to be.

I rather like Aventus, although I despise the online community that has popped up around it, ready to chase you into battle on any forum, hack your Facebook, or make a subreddit about how much you suck for being too plebian and poor to understand why Aventus is the "best scent evarrrrr", and I really wanted to dislike the stuff too just because of the toxicity which surrounds it. On the bright side, Aventus has reimagined a chypre accord for the modern man, and offers something fresh and clean with classic touches, so hats off to Olivier and Erwin Creed for that. Aventus has also proven to be a tremendous gateway drug to the perfume hobby for many a man in search of "grail juice" so it's also helped keep the hobby alive alongside filling Creed's coffers. Aventus has proven to be a hard act to follow, and Creed's own Viking (2017) has fallen far short of the task, since nobody is making Viking subforums or burner accounts to dodge bannings for bad manners online. Longevity is killer, but the sillage isn't "beastmode" as "Aventusites" will claim, but it is above average. Aventus is almost a generalist to me, with casual, office, and romantic use feeling appropriate, since it's fresh fruity floral side is so likeable, and it's smokey underbelly carrying more warmth than expected in a scent like this. I'd say this fails only in extreme heat and cold, where it's generalized nature isn't tuned properly to cope, but again, overzealous fans would challenge me to fisticuffs over that. If you can afford it, Aventus, really isn't a bad daily driver, but as the saying goes "it's too rich for my blood", so if and when a full bottle does appear on my wardrobe, I'll have to keep my "smokey pineapple secret weapon" under lock and key for special use only. I totally understand why folks love this so fervently, as the next nearest thing to something so unique yet so comfortably familiar was Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne (1996), and that stuff also had it's own army of acolytes for the better part of a decade too, they just all drove beat-up Chevys and old Toyotas instead of BMWs and Teslas. Good stuff, totally undeserving of it's hype, and still too much for what it is, but at least earning a thumbs-up from me.
24th September, 2018 (last edited: 25th September, 2018)
Just got a sample of what appears to be one of the most controversial fragrances in the modern era: Creed Aventus.

The opening of Aventus smells really, really clean and of high-end ingredients. It isn't the typical, oft-used bergamot + maybe another citrus fruit type start, but instead begins with a decidedly airy fruitiness, along with a boozy gin-like splash underneath. I don't get a straight on flesh of fruit sensation, but instead almost like a refined mash of the apple, pineapple, and black currant.

A bright woodiness envelops the mix, a la the birch bark. A dark rose grows in, as well as a fresher take on jasmine which highlights that it is a Creed-centric incorporation of this expertly processed flower. Unquestionably, oakmoss is detectable with its dry, green presence; patchouli feels more medicinal and dark than I usually experience it elsewhere, and musk adds a well-balanced touch within this complex fragrance.

The famous Creed accord is subtly there; I can't sense the vanilla, which may have been covered up in my perceptions by the other strong notes in Aventus.

Overall, I get a juniper berry scent that is crafted so nicely and has a classic, bracing quality to it (like sniffing a glass of Seagram's gin neat). I think of Eau de Rochas most of all as I take in and savor Aventus. For me, that is a very good thing. :-)

Subjectively, this EdP fragrance evokes relaxation, confidence, energy, and positivity. Of course, each person will have his or her impressions which can range from "love this above every other scent" to "boy, this one is overhyped and sucks." Then there's the whole issue of which batch number one ends up getting of Aventus (I haven't dared to enter into that discussion!)
Me, I applaud that Creed has this wonderful fragrance in its collection, and in the end it is a very credible niche scent worthy of the attention it has received.

Given the vastly divergent opinions and analyses of it, I personally would suggest that one either samples Aventus in person at a local department store counter, or obtain a sample decant.
12th September, 2018
Clean, fresh, successful scent. When you wear it You feel like you are sharing yourself with successful people instead of pandering to them.

No urine smell in the bottle like Tom Ford fragrances. It is not a provoking scent, just safe and clean. It doesn't force, it is polite and perfectly mannered.

I was hoping it would be a new life type of cologne that I loved. I would mostly wear it safely to be agreeable to others.
09th September, 2018
The number one niche cologne in the world. My favorite for all time.
29th August, 2018
One bottle 120 ml ,350€ ,are you CRAZY ?
DON'T LIKE IT,ananas cheapy.
19th August, 2018
Every man wants to be a bottle of Aventus. It's on the one hand an inviting, fruity combo and on the other a manly, musky birch tree at its core. The pineapple is what draws you in. The closer you get, the more you realize the once sweet man you knew is actually a rugged, smokey rough rider.

Aventus is almost too good to wear everyday. There are other, more boring fragrances for that. Aventus is, at least for me, best for those moments when I decide I'm going to impact reality. Make a key presentation at work, decide to buy or sell a lot of stock, acquire a company - I could see this being the fragrance of a king or CEO. It has an imperial quality that is approachable but subtly reminds you the man wearing it probably determines your destiny.
15th August, 2018
I tested tones of perfumes in my life. Some of them was awful, some was neutral, some of them was good and others were great, real masterpieces. Many times after the first testing i said WOW!! At WOW section for me enters masterpieces like Interlude, Safari Extreme from ASQ, Laudano Nero, Amber Absolute, Casa Moratti 1888, Black Afgano, a few from Clive Christian and many others.

But Aventus is not even close to WOW for me. It's a good perfume, with quality notes but that's all. I got some fresh notes and some pinneapple hints.

I dont get why many people say Aventus is one of the best niche perfumes ever. It is a medium piece and not too versatile.

The price is waaaay too high. I'd pay for Aventus maximum 30-40% of its actual price.
02nd August, 2018 (last edited: 18th August, 2018)
Nice idea of mixing fruits and leather that after some wearing on skin starts to bothers me.

Creed quality, excellent performance but really nothing special.
13th May, 2018

hcr Show all reviews
First thoughts, on paper it smells like Fruit Stripes gum. On my skin, 15 minutes in it's not sweet at all.

It felt a little oily when I was putting it on? could be my imagination.

I've never smelled GIT, and I haven't smelled Cool Water in a while, but it's giving me the same kind of vibe; not sweet, not strong, fresh, nice but just smells a little off on my skin.

30 min in: pleasant I guess, I'm not seeing the hype. Will sample again but doesn't project much and I can't see this lasting that long.
12th May, 2018
Zowiee Show all reviews
Clean, fresh “cornucopia” full of amazing notes. I really love the heart and base notes, that for me constantly interplay and intertwine for hour on end. Something about the rose, jasmine, birch and musk really appeals to me. This is a fragrance that I have received many, many compliment!
10th May, 2018
This is a review of the 17w01 batch. I bought a 50ml decant of this. 3 average sized sprays (one to the clothes, one to each side of the neck) gave me 10 hours. I would say it projected well (more than moderately and less than strongly) for anywhere from 2-4 hours.

The opening was a tart pineapple. It wasn't sweet. I got hints of the other top notes and I got the bergamot also. This phase lasted for about 20 minutes and then to a moderately smokey drydown. The tart pineapple was there, it was light. This lasted for about 4 hours.

The next 3 hours was a lighter more woody phase.

After this the scent conpletely transforms to a clean, creamy, musky, vanilla base. This lasts for about 2 and a half hours.

All and all a great scent and a fantastic olfactory experience. I enjoyed the transition to each phase. As much as I enjoyed it, I wouldn't pay €195 for 50 ml. I paid €70 for the decant and I'm delighted I did because it's a bargain at that price.
07th May, 2018
I first got my nose on this in 2016, so I can't comment on how it was in it's original launch. However, I was still blown away upon first sniff. I got a small sample from a local high end luxury store, wore it before bed, and placed my order the next day for a full 120ml bottle. I plan on always having a bottle of this in my collection for as long as I live. It's my signature.

Main notes I get are Bergamot, Birch, Musk, Patchouli, Oak Moss, and Ambergris (and in that order). There's a pineapple vibe for the first 15 minutes, but that's about it. The bergamot in this so beautiful and three dimensional and I'm surprised it's not commented on more. My favorite note though, is the birch note mixed with the gorgeous musk, and you get to enjoy this for the entire fragrance (but more so in the latter stages). The birch note I pick up is not so much smoky, but more of a nice dry wood that is freshly chopped and sitting in the sun.

Longevity is excellent, I get next day performance. Sillage is unreal and you'll fill a room with 2 sprays. Sometimes your scent trail will last till the next day. The magic for this fragrance really happens when you don't smell it anymore and then get beautiful wafts throughout the day and into the next when you wake up. You never get bored and it never gets obnoxious.

Compliments don't need to be touched on much because everyone has heard it before. This will get you compliments from people who are 10 years old and 100 years old, and they'll happen multiple times per day every single time you'll wear this. Don't wear this if you are an introvert.

I have sampled hundreds of fragrances since and this is the only one I would consider a "masterpiece". This identifies with me on a personal level.

By batch is 16J01 but I've had my nose on multiple batches and while all slightly different, they are all beautiful and essentially the same. And like all Creeds, let it breath and know that the performance gets better and better with age. My bottle is now 2 years old and it gets better with every wearing. I'm at about 40% juice left.

Long live the King. He's still alive, even after the "reformulations".

07th April, 2018
Batch variation or no batch variation, my bottle shows differences to the tester that made me buy this.

Opens with sour physalis and some birch, shows some smoke and spices and dies to my nose. A skin scent within 2 hours. The drydown is almost nowhere to my nose. I guess I was unlucky.

Having purchased this along other Creed fragrances I must say this is a passmark, but nothing spectacular.
I have tried replicas that do a better job.
19th March, 2018
It used to be daring, it used to smell masculine smokey and divine. Now it smells really nice in the opening but almost like every fresh fruity fragrance out there. They replaced this daring amazing fragrance and put out a safe, healthy 'EDT' quality and performance frag.

I remember the old 2014 batch I used to wear, I would savor every drop and each wearing was a magical experience that lasted many a long hour. Now these new 2017 batches are a complete misfire from what it used to provide, short burst of tart fruit with a linear woody dry down of wood and musk.

During my wearings I get a maximum of 3 hours of projection and a very boring dry-down that had little to no character. Has Creed lost their minds raising the price so high while the quality has gone down with each new iteration? Yes. The demand must be so high that they are just riding the wave of money and putting out batches even faster, and they are likely releasing watered down weak performing juice just to fill orders.

What Aventus used to be, pre-2014 was worthy of awards, now it's just a watered down shell of it's old self. Sad really. They could at the very least release a batch with warning labels that includes the vintage birch tar and resinous notes so the batch hunting could come to an end. Regardless I still wind up batch hunting and spending lots of money in the process trying to find that vintage divine scent I cherished so much, to no avail.
28th February, 2018 (last edited: 11th March, 2018)
Bought a sample vial months ago. Finally ponied up for a 4oz flacon.

I'll admit right off the bat that I'm quite a creed fan. Let that fact shade my comments how it will according to how you feel about this house.

I do believe in batch variation, for my sample vial was a bit smokier than my own bottle, 16H01. Mine is fruitier. However, I don't think the severity of variation is as extreme as others hold it to be.

This is the finest fragrance I've ever put to my nose. Smoky pineapple, apple, birch and that lovely creamy ambrox you find especially in Original Vetiver. Honestly, when it arrived I considered my creed collection complete.

The three that follow relatively closely behind for me are Himalaya, Original Vetiver, and, of course, Green Irish Tweed, all great performers as well.

When I smell this fragrance, I smile. I can't help myself. Is it worth the money? It is for me.

Also, buyer beware. I told my friend about this fragrance and he bought a bottle for $250 from some online source. Not sure which. About a week ago, after he saw some internet posts/videos about fake Aventus he texted me for pictures of my bottle and lot number, batch number etc.

His was fake.

If you're gonna drop this kind of money on a fragrance, buy from a reputable source.

Projection is excellent. Longevity is excellent as well, though I do believe this fragrance lends itself easily to noseblindness for the wearer. For me, after about 5 hours it feels like a skin scent, but today at the seventh hour mark I had someone ask me if I was wearing something new. So it was still projecting.

This is the only creed fragrance of which I bought a sample vial first, and the one of which there was the least need to do so; in fact, none.
C'est le meilleur de tout. Ne laissez personne vous dire autrement.

16th February, 2018 (last edited: 20th February, 2018)
Wow, I really don't get the hype on this. It's fascinating to sample something that has entire conversation threads dedicated to it and not like it at all.

I'm sampling straight from Luckyscent, so this is the real thing.

I get Apple/Pineapple/General Fruit, Baby Powder, and the classic Creed smooth drydown (basically smells like GIT at the very end)...kind of smells like a Fruit based Drugstore shampoo to me.

Maybe it's just a younger generation that is leaning away from the stereotypical masculine scents? Fair enough, different strokes and all, but this one really smells like something a grandmother might have liked in the 1920's. Light, fruity, powdery, I barely get any smoke, pine or spice as others have mentioned.

As with all Creed's, I can tell they are using quality ingredients but the fact this is marketed as a masculine, kinglike scent is bizarre to my nose.

I do love both fresh (GIT, TFGV, GV) and darker/smokey/woody fragrances (GPH, Hwyl, Nassomato Duro) so maybe this just isn't my style...give it a nuetral, might not be my thing but the ingredients are quality.
30th January, 2018
ad_scott Show all reviews
Very fresh pineapple in the opening which stays strong for 5 minutes...fades...then balances with the Italian bergamot and blackcurrant notes. Then it turns greener and has a Drakkar Noir vibe but in a luxurious and sophisticated way. Drydown is birch trees adjacent to an asphalt-layed road with the faint scent of rose, jasmine and fruits in the air. A quality fragrance.
07th January, 2018
After all of these years of listening to the hype I finally bought a bottle. Wow is all I have to say. I own Royal Oud, Bois Du Portugal and Original Vetiver and now Aventus. I have sampled almost all of the Creeds and can honestly say that these are the four best fragrances that I have personally encountered, but the Aventus is in a league of its own.
18th November, 2017
I've own alot of fragrances, from designer to niche I have a pretty broad collection. But, I've only owned one Creed fragrance which was GiT, till I bought Aventus.

Aventus is a scent that has enough hype behind it to fuel its own marketing without having to invest in marketing. I've never seen an add for it but I always knew right when I jumped into cologne, that it was "The King" I finally forked over to get a batch 16M01.

Its earned its hype accordingly. I've never seen a fragrance with this amount of performance. I have oud fragrances that don't out perform this monster. I get EASILY 12+ hours on skin.

It has a scent that is incredibly hard to describe without using the generic "Pineapple and woods". Its an amazing combination and with Creed's attention to detail by using the finest ingredients, it turns into a top seller.

Whenever I wear this fragrance I spray it on and become instantly more confident compared to my other colognes. I feel like a literal demi-god, nothing can stop me. Its out there, gives you an alpha complex and makes you feel more confident. It caught me off guard because I love GiT and used alot of it, but this is easily my signature scent.

The batch variations really mess up the fragrance sometimes, but if you get a decent balanced batch. It becomes an easy reach, and an even easier wear.
07th October, 2017
Okay, first time trying out a niche fragrance on my skin.

First thoughts: smells more like a natural scent a guy would emit, rather than a chemical fragrance he applied. That's pretty impressive. It's musky, but there are other notes, which I'm guessing are the pineapple and French apple to elevate it just above a kind of sex smell. I don't detect the specific scent of pineapple, but I do get a hint of fruitiness that merges with the musk to make it smooth.
Some of the other reviewers describe this as a very masculine scent. I'd agree. It's not Antaeus or other powerhouses, it's far smoother. But it's definitely masculine, but not quite what I'd term macho. There's some testosterone here though.

Me personally, I'm a little baffled as to how this is such a popular men's cologne. The total lack of synthetic characteristics is really nice. But it's not a scent that I actually care for. It's TOO musky in my opinion. I don't think it's something I'd like to smell on someone, let alone myself.

03rd October, 2017 (last edited: 05th October, 2017)
Will Aventus go down as an all time classic?? Yes
Dose it gather compliments? Yes
Is it a beautiful smelling fragrance? Yes

Of course I have given it tops marks and a big thumbs up.

I can't think of a fragrance that has had more of an impact on the fragrance community. For good and bad!! It's the most talked about and the most hyped while at the same time the most loathed.

Where Aventus wins is that it is very mass appealing while still remaining different from mainstream.

Always makes a statement!!
28th September, 2017 (last edited: 09th November, 2018)
I mean...it smells pretty good, I just wouldn't pay the high price per mL. Definitely smokey. I get more of an apple vibe with very subtle pineapple. It's like a gentleman's fresh cologne. I can understand the shaving foam reference after wearing it a day or two. IMHO there's plenty of better smelling fragrances for a quarter of the price...
19th August, 2017 (last edited: 20th August, 2017)
Chronologie III

Modern reinterpretation of the 1980's. Magnificent smell of quality shaving foam mixed with pineapple and currant.

I had the opportunity to smell it when it first appeared in the market, and I had it in my collection by the next year.

I neither feel sorry nor is it important that it became mega popular and that the younger generations are doing the propaganda that bothers many. What I do find important is that pleasure and emotions I feel when I'm wearing it.

Aventus is a scent for urban gentlemen, which can be worn throughout the year, combined with some elegant style. Stability and projection are great.

My olfactory signature, the perfume I found myself in.

Masterpiece...

27th July, 2017
i cant really tell what it is.. maybe pineapple.. but i smell a salty smell along with it... some describe it as ashy or smokey. i smell salty fruit. and i love salt and salty fruit!.. freak'n smells awesome!
25th July, 2017
A true masterpiece and definitely my signature sent hands down. This particular fragrance was the one who put me on my journey of becoming a true enthusiast and frag-head!
25th July, 2017