Reviews of Aventus by Creed

Find out more about Aventus by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Zaroff's avatar

Belgium Belgium

I really don't get the hype about this. I smelled this from a bona-fide flacon at a reputable store, so no fake involved is possible, and what I got was a very anonymous, orange-pineapple like scent. No richness, nothing special, just became obnoxious after the first 10 minutes. Creed has done SO much better in the past, I really don't get what all the craze is about, personally.

I'll pass.

14th October, 2014

Q. R. Crumm's avatar

There is a reason Aventus has all the critical acclaim it does.

Basically it is fantastic!

I recently tried samples of Aventus and Green Irish Tweed, Aventus wins for me by a mile, I felt GIT to be a little bit "older guy" for me, and I am in my 30's. (maybe in 10 years or so).

Upon trying Aventus I have never experienced a scent that is such a good "all rounder", you could literally wear Aventus to any occasion at any time of year.

Aventus is the real deal, it is bang up to date and very modern, but not in a cheap and tacky "TOWIE" kind of way. More in a classy "modern gentleman" kind of way, it is very well composed, the balance is just perfect.

Even if no-one else likes this on me (which I find very unlikely) I will buy Aventus just for me...

Well done Creed.

14th October, 2014

silversurfer's avatar

7/24/12 lot ...12A01: quite pleasant, lasts, all the primary notes are there.
    11/30/12 lot ..12C02: more pepper, less pineapple.
    9/20/14 lot ...14D01 subjectively, not as good as previous lots, more ashy, but still pleasant overall, and a compliment getter. Strange, this lot, to me, seemed to have almost a Tom Ford Grey Vetiver vibe to it. I don't recall noticing anything like that on any other batches I've tried. Still great longevity on me - 14 hours so far.

21st September, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Beautiful smoky pineapple and woods...

I really like this one. I tried it out in the summer and every time I smell this in hot weather it impresses me! A really great choice for hot weather but can also be worn on other occasions across the year.

So Aventus was inspired by the life and legacy of Napoléon Bonaparte, using some the ingredients associated with his memory. Pineapple, his favourite food. Birch wood bark, from Louisiana (ruled by France at that time in history). Blackcurrant from Corsica, his place of birth... and finally Ambergris from the ocean, representing his navy.

It's a lovely smelling fragrance, mostly unique because of the Pineapple note, which I don't see in many other fragrances (it smells like a ripe, juicy Pineapple being freshly cut open with a knife). I also detect Rose, a little Patchoulli, and a tiny hint of Jasmine. I think it's all about the fresh, juicy Pineapple and smoky wood. I also really love the Ambergris base which is musky and salty at the same time. It smells like eating Pineapple by a campfire with something salty. It's a strange combination but it somehow works.

By the way for people who talk about batches, my bottle was bought in 2012, and I get a very fresh Pineapple note, perfectly balanced with the Birch wood.

I do think this one is really unique (ground-breaking... perhaps). But I also see this is a very "safe" fragrance, I think it's different, and I respect that. I also love it enough to wear it quite a bit, but mostly in hot weather. I can't see anyone disliking this... and I would imagine that many people both male and female would find it a very pleasing smell. I think this is one of those fragrances that you should buy only if you really love it, because only you can decide whether to pay the price which is asked for it. I think I do really admire and love this fragrance, for me it does the job. Bottom line is, if you love it it will be worth the money to you. No more no less.

12th September, 2014

wrs67's avatar

I get frequent compliments on this - often by the same people. One of the lunch ladies at my school came to my table, told me I smelled "intoxicating", and asked what I was wearing. Three sprays easily last all day on my skin. Good stuff.

04th September, 2014

ActionJackson864's avatar

This was the first creed I ever smelled. I think also the first "niche fragrance" I ever smelled. At first I wasn't fond of it. It smells good, but it's still not my favorite personally and I still don't see why people love it so much...however, every time I wear this stuff women stop me, smell me, and ask what I'm wearing that smells so good. I've heard women say "what is that smell?!" start looking around...been told I smell awesome and absolutely amazing. Creed Aventus is hands down the number one fragrance I've owned out of hundreds if I want to get attention. Number one compliment getter. Women absolutely LOVE this stuff.

24th August, 2014

jumpfrog's avatar

Very hyped - just had to try it. Overall it is a good, but not great fragrance. Thumbs up or neutral? Somewhere in between the two. It's just a bit...meh. It is very middle of the road, it won't offend anyone, and is very wearable. Initial pineapple and apple gave way after about half an hour to the smokiness. It is a light smoke however, that tempers the sweetness of the fruits. It's nothing spectacular, but I can see why it has so many followers. Although it may be unique, I don't feel this will turn heads nor will you stick out in the crowd. It's just a well behaved, well put together, reliable scent. The price tag is daylight robbery however, and based on my experience, I have no burning desire to add this to my collection. If I see a very good deal I might consider it. Personally, I think Creed frags are rather overrated in general. There is also a common note amongst all Creed frags that I've tried. I can't pick it out, it is there in original vetiver for example. Hiding in the background and holding things together. It's a note I'm not too keen on to be honest.

22nd August, 2014

sidewinder's avatar

All I can constructively add to the discussion is try layering this bad boy lightly with other fragrances and seek out the close to perfect and much cheaper clones if the price bothers you. 4 out 5 with points deducted for ridic price tag.

09th August, 2014

OneTimeOnePlace's avatar

France France

This is the first time i do a total 180 on a fragrance. My first review was largely negative about this, for some reason i thought it smelled rancid, i have no idea what happened, whether i had a bad sample, or i did overapply which is a possibiliy because this perfume is quite potent and can be nauseating in a way when overapplied.
    The fact is i'm now really enjoying this, i'm even considering buying a 75ml bottle, even if i find it a bit overpriced. What strikes me the most in this fragrance is the combination of fruity and smoky, incensy notes;
    i love fuity top notes in perfumes, whether it's mandarin, apple, orange, or pinapple, it's fresh, elegant and tasteful.
    This one works perfectly, one the top the pinapple is present without being too loud, it then turns into a smokey, incensy charm which i really like, i'm not sure about all the notes in this scent, but i'm pretty sure there's something like mandrake roots in there, there's this dark, bitter note lingering behind the smoke, which adds to the fragrance a mysterious, almost dirty touch.
    Because of that I don't think this is something you can wear casually, "the longevity is excellent, and the overall feel of the perfume exudes quality and mastery.
    A very good scent.

04th August, 2014 (Last Edited: 22nd November, 2014)

CGR's avatar

This cologne is a one of a kind. It's my favourite in my collection. Aventus projects like a beast and definatly smells unique. 10/10 fragrance

03rd August, 2014 (Last Edited: 05th August, 2014)

Picknenders's avatar

Here is the simple truth: it's the best. Women enjoy it. Long lasting. Nuff said.

02nd August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

Let’s get some preliminaries out of the way: 1) I have no idea which batch number my sample came from, and I’m not at all concerned. 2) A fragrance would have to equal vintage Patou pour Homme, Derby, or Feu d’Issey to merit the sort of near-hysterical acclaim that this fragrance enjoys, and I’m sorry, but Aventus isn’t that. Now pardon me while I barricade my doors and windows, and try to write a reasoned review of Creed’s Aventus…

Nice pineapple and cassis top notes give way ever so gradually to a an accord of smoky leather and lightly charred woods that is very slightly sweetened by a discreet clean jasmine note. The structure is really very simple and attractive, but as a fruity fougère set against the likes of Rochas Globe and Creed’s own Green Irish Tweed, I find it by no means overwhelming or original. Tropical fruit over a woody/floral accord has been done before – most successfully in Maître Parfumeur et Gantier’s Bahiana, less so in Polo Sport. Aventus is a heavier, more assertively woody fragrance than either predecessor, with neither the buoyant, beach party attitude that distinguishes Bahiana, nor the chemical "aquatic" features that mar the Ralph Lauren. As befits its overall sobriety, Aventus is also a relatively restrained, polite fragrance, with gently pervasive projection and moderate sillage. It will not jump out and grab you, but neither will it offend. I should mention that Aventus is highly tenacious, clinging to the skin for several hours before it fades into the familiar Creed Ambroxan drydown.

Aventus strikes me as a pleasant, well-mannered, amiable fragrance, and I assume that is why it has won so many adherents. I’m torn between rating it “thumbs up” or “neutral.” On the one hand, Aventus is a solid and enjoyable fragrance. (The incremental transition from fruit to woods is especially well-engineered.) On the other hand, it is neither novel nor terribly exciting, and does not, in my opinion, merit the hyperbole that surrounds it. In the end, I’ll settle for a guarded recommendation.

25th July, 2014

Emoe's avatar

After the hype, i had to try some.
    I bought a sample, batch unkown, and was quite impressed.
    However reading the reviews, 2010 seems to hiy high on many lists.
    I bought a bottle and its fairly new batch from lessenseurs in London.
    At first application, i wasnt as impressed as before, smelled a little too smoky for my liking, something i never had with previous sample.
    However. Once it dried down and settled, i gave me a warm smell, not necessarily old man warm, but warm all the same.
    The resulting fragrance is reassuringly masculine, as well as refined and upper class.

That said, its not my favourite Creed, and will spend my money on another of their frags.

19th July, 2014

chitown23's avatar

This is based on a sample from Nordstrom, so assuming it is a new 2014 batch. I don't get it, dish washing soap, a bit of pineapple, and very synthetic is what i get. I really wanted to like it but perhaps my nose is not complying with the hype around this. Hoping to try again to see what the hysteria is about. Dare I say I smelled a bad batch...

18th July, 2014

sdotlow's avatar

First, it's a bit misleading when you read reviews and hear a lot about the "hype" surrounding this frag. This isn't like Bleu De Chanel (that's not a dig at Bleu FYI), where you can find it on any counter, any where. There's a lot of hype in this community, but this community is rather small in the grand scheme of things.

Now, Aventus. Amazing scent. I'm not a scent guru, capable of breaking down each individual note (yet!). This is hands down the best scent in my growing collection. I sat on a small decant for quite a while, unsure about biting the bullet with all of the talk of batch variation issues. I decided to just buy a bottle online, and am glad I did. The initial burst of pineapple is wonderful, but I can see how some may not like it as much. But it turns into such an amazing fragrance 30 minutes to an hour after applying. It projects very well, but isn't cloying and off putting. It lasts forever on my skin, I can smell it when I wake up in the morning.

It's also quite the head turner, very unique scent I have not smelled before.

I was not sure whether buying such an expensive scent would be worthwhile. Most of my current collection is designer stuff, with a couple creeds (which will be growing shortly!). I now understand why these are priced much higher, and why you can't find much price break on Aventus online. Of course some of this is due to supply and demand, but it's really an amazing scent and worth every penny. I'm already considering grabbing a second bottle to stash away.

My current bottle batch is 2013 Z01.

10/10 - amazing longevity and projection. beautiful scent.

11th July, 2014

rok's avatar

By far the best fragrance I have ever owned. This is a dream fragrance for any man out there. Just a bit on the expensive side.

10th July, 2014

Traveling sales's avatar

Good day folks. Well, I purchased a bottle of Aventus from an online source and just recieved one from the Creed Store in the City. The online fragrence is authentic from what I smell as well as my girlfreind but there is a difference.

The online sample does not last as long or throw out the original pineapple scent as well.

The bottle from Creed does stay stronger longer but both get noticed after three-four hours.

Both have that Aventus authenticity so if saving 130.00 on a 4 oz bottle is crucial they both serve the purpose well.

But, and this test was expensive, getting it from Creed or I am sure authorized retailers does make a difference.

When they settle down both smell great.

The batch and probably the freshness reflect in stronger longer and a few more fruity smells at application.

Would I spend 130.00 more, if I have it hoping 8 ounces keeps me not reaching so deep in my pocket for a while.

30th June, 2014

badboyzinc's avatar

This scent is awesome. I am new to the Creed line and I bought a sample and was blown away by this fragrance. I have never smelled anything that comes close to this fragrance it is unique. My nose is not trained to break down the different notes but what I get from this is a musky, woodsy, masculine fragrance.

20th June, 2014

Tmoran's avatar

I absolutely love this scent. It has so many things going on in it yet it is expertly crafted. It is a scent that just screams confidence. Its masculine yet sensual.

One thing I think needs to be cleared up is that of mont blanc legend smelling like aventus. I saw a review that stated to buy legend because is smells identical and costs a 1/4 of the price. Sorry to burst anyones bubble but aventus and legend are about as closely related as cool water and joop. To say otherwise only shows you either have a broken nose or you havent smelled at least one of the fragrances being discussed. Dont get me wrong. I own legend. I love legend. But aventus is so different on so many levels that I simply cant understand why anyone would draw a parallel between them. Sure if you look at the note pyramid of both fragrances they would appear to have some similarities. But that is where it ends. To draw a conclusion based solely on that is irresponsible and misleading.

Back on point. Aventus is a multifaceted fragrance. It has a dimensional quality to it that others (including legend) simply dont have. It keeps you interested by constantly evolving while never changing at its core. I would like longer longevity but sillage and projection are solid. Longevity I have found can be greatly increased by moisturizing my sandpaper skin.

As for the batch variations. It is a fact that there is differences between batches. And it is noticeable. Those who say they cant smell a difference simply dont have a nose to pickup on the differences. Sure some of those who say they cant smell it have been in the game a long time. But loving football your whole life doesnt mean your ready to play for the seahawks. One thing though is that even with all the batch variations there is a core impression that aventus has that never changes. IMHO the variations keep me interested in the fragrance and actually has me buying more aventus than I would any other fragrance. I have yet to smell a batch I didnt like.

06th May, 2014

Musicman4931's avatar

Good unique fragrance. Bit overpriced but other than that, very good.

06th May, 2014

Braxbrah's avatar

Amazing stuff. Onto my second bottle of this and couldn't be happier. Fresh & sexy, received many compliments wearing this.

23rd April, 2014

Adama's avatar

Aventus is definitely a very unique scent.

It opens with both pineapple and a very strong pine note, which tones down quickly as a very sweet leather emerges.

The pineapple and black currant soon dominate to create a very candy-like scent, very sweet and natural smelling.

Soon smoky notes come out, not camp-fire-like as in Lubin Itasca but very subtle, as well as an excellent birch note, which smells just like going up to a tree and taking a whiff of freshly torn, paper-thin bark.

Sweet smoke and wood dominate as it fades, I get zero vanilla.

Aventus was a joy to sample.

I don't think I would ever buy a bottle of it, but it's an excellent fragrance, and it's popularity around here makes more sense to me now. Best scent in the last few years? That's debatable, but I cannot fault anyone for making this a mainstay in their rotation.

17th April, 2014

yellafella789's avatar

I have a 30mL decant of the U01 batch which was made in 2013 and I mainly get smoke, flourals and oak moss. There seems to be a tiny hint of pineapple but the note isnt that traceable. I have a bottle of Gucci Nobile at home and to me the scents are very similar at this very moment. Dont get me wrong, I regard Gucci Nobile as a very classic and appealing scent, but this was totally unexpected from Aventus. I would have hoped to smell more of the sweet pineapple freshness but I've been let down thus far. I will give more time and see what happens and if that doesnt work I might even try to oxidize the fragrance to see if it will liven it up a bit.

02nd April, 2014

bugsyiii's avatar

I think this fragrance is a great fragrance, however, it is not to die for. I now own the perfumed oil and recently purchased the fragrance itself-again, it is a great fragrance but...just that, great! As others have mentioned, it gives off a nice aroma with the combination of French apples, pineapple, bergamot, patchouli, musk and others however, I'd also put this on the same stage as Royal Oud (another great creation by Creed). I am using this in the winter time, however, not sure what this would be like in summertime...curious though!

24th March, 2014 (Last Edited: 02nd October, 2014)

broguesforsir's avatar

A very, very small amount of this left in my 30ml bottle (batch C42B11Y02, for those that need to know) that I purchased in August 2012.

On me, I experience the following: A sharp pineapple and bergamot opening and a hint of apple. This lasts for a few minutes before the pineapple settles down to a smoother fruit note (but still very much pineapple all the way) while the middle notes with a delicate smoky birch begin to open up. There's definitely some patchouli and rose weaving in and out at this stage, as is listed. The basenotes then combine to give a beautiful, sweet woody depth, while every so often the pineapple cuts through to liven things up. There's not a significant or complex evolution on my skin but for me at least that does not detract from the appeal of this fragrance.

Expertly blended, this fragrance, with very good quality ingredients. It's a 'modern' Creed fragrance that manages to have that almost transparent airy-ness that the good Creeds have but it doesn't suffer from longevity or strength issues despite this. Projection is easily 8 hours on my skin, after which time it is more of a skin scent (Only Himalaya from the other Creeds I have betters this). It's certainly very masculine, though some may find it a little on the younger man- side, as I do occasionally, but it is a fragrance that can reward a sophisticated older gent, too. Smells gorgeous on fabric and lasts on it for days. Equally at home in formal and casual surroundings, it can be worn in all seasons and both day and night but probably a little more suited to daytime wearing.

Mine has probably improved in the bottle with age. I'm not so sure I will be rushing to buy another bottle given the price has increased over time, though. As impressive as this juice is, I'm not so sure it should demand £95 upwards.

23rd March, 2014

bettybop's avatar

Dear Lord where do I begin. Basically as a female you should never wear this scent around me. I'd be impervious to whatever you might be saying to me. This scent takes you to a whole new realm. Just a whiff and I'd need to be sitting down. Genius!
    With the price range I'm sure it does the job. I mean you can almost win an argument with me if you're wearing this scent. And it lingers for days too. We have a winner with this one :)

11th March, 2014

paul84's avatar

just finisihing off first bottle of this.......price is a bit of a issue,but guess i got what i paid for:)
    as someone thats only had occasional compliments...couple for bleu,one for rive gauche,,,,had loads for aventus .....and off people i hadnt known.....but just as importantly i love it
    now hopefully i get the same batch for my second bottle:)

07th March, 2014

Conrad01's avatar

I think this fragrances has begun to get the Lebron James treatment (so wildly popular that it is hated) and while I cannot begin to like Lebron james, I do love Aventus. To me this should be though of more as a Michael Jordan/Scotty Pippen hybrid (please forgive the basketball metaphors, I'm already in this deep) expensive, flashy, but worth every penny in results. I think the batch that I have is generally a pretty good one (sometime in 2013) very pineapple-ish and a gorgeous fruit/smoke drydown which I envision as a fresh cut pineapple an the deck watching the forest in all of it's midday splendor. Maybe I am naive to what hides in those smoky shadows, but it has been said that mystery is wonder, and wonder is what makes man want to understand. Aventus gave me that little inkling of comprehensibility to understand.

03rd March, 2014

dark's avatar

Most of us, when we were kids, wanted the red one when confronted with a roll of Lifesavers. But there was always the odd duck who wanted the pale yellow--or supposedly pineapple--one. If you were that kid, this fragrance is for you. For me, the long-lasting opening is dominated by this wildly-artificial pineapple note. Interesting, but more inexpensive candy than bracing, fresh fruit. On my skin, Aventus then fades into a pleasant and inoffensive but weak and bland scent. I don't understand all the fuss.

If you preferred the orange one: Atelier Orange Sanguine
    the yellow one: Guerlain Imperiale
    the green one: Halston 1-12
    the red one: Habit Rouge (?)

20th February, 2014

Ryanmmas26's avatar

After 3 wearings this is my new signature scent !!! When I 1st sprayed this I liked it but wasnt completely sold on the fragrance. But WOW did that change ! The initial spray kind of smelled like a mix of bugspray and pinesol but once it started to mesh with my skin chemistry it really became a thing of art. :)

After about 20 mins when it reached the heart I got a pleasant but tart fruity smell to give it sweetness and sensuality, but I detected a spicy and leathery note as well it to give it masculinity and depth. And pretty much it keeps the smell till the drydown to which the drydown is more woody but it still keeps the freshness of the pineapple.When I wear it it just gives me a confident, modern man type of vibe...

And a good story to back up Aventus is that the 1st time I wore this my girlfriend as soon as she came in the door she instantly asked what this was and said I HAD to buy this and now is insisting I wear this for Valentines day...lol

Also an interesting note is I have 30 colognes and this easily is the most complimented ! I was honestly surprised

Strength and Longevity: This isnt a beastly fragrance but it is quite strong and 2 or 3 sprays will last 6-10 hours

Occasion and Season: Any season and occasion maybe with the exception of working out

08th February, 2014