Reviews of Aventus by Creed

I guess I don't "get it" when it comes to Aventus. Oh well - hundreds of other fragrances that are far superior for far less money.
13th March, 2017
So, after reading and watching so many reviews I bit the bullet did a blind buy on the soleil dor website for a 4 oz. bottle. I got the 16k11 batch for the scent nerds. I can't compare it to other batches, but this fragrance IMO is overhyped. But, regardless of the hype I like this fragrance for what it is and it's BEAST performance. I was scared that these 2016/17 batches would be shit in performance due to all the hearing I've heard. I spray one shot at the center of my collar bone throat above chest area with a shirt on and it last all day. 8.5-9 hours clocked. It may go further didn't bother to ask my roommates. Easily my best purchase to date. Oh and I say nerds as a compliment as I look for you/them to guide me to more fragrances I may enjoy.
14th February, 2017
This is the scent that started it all for me. I was pre-gaming with friends for a night out and a fellow BN'er and perfume connoisseur pulls out a decant of Aventus. When I first smelled it in the bottle, I didn't recognize it as anything special, but then as I watched the girls we were with react to it, I felt compelled to give it a more thorough assessment. The looks on their faces said, "Whoa!", "Wow!", "OMG!" ect. One even said, "dont spray any more of that, you're making me all hot and bothered over here" (or something to that effect). So naturally, I sprayed some on my arm just to see what all the commotion was about, and soon I was saying Wow myself. Kept sniffing it all night and into the next morning, and decided that day that I had to have some of this. I have a decant, and will be getting a bottle at some point.

Since that night, I've explored many more Creeds and determined that Aventus isn't really my personal favorite in the line. That smokey tar note is a little brash for me, but it isn't a complete deal breaker. Even if I'd decided that I don't like the frag, I would still give it a thumbs up based purely on the female reactions to it. It's a lady killer and draws many compliments. Must have for any Creed fan.
18th January, 2017

In general I adore being able to "smell", it's one of my favourite human senses. I don't know what it is but Aventus is just so wonderfully crafted and it's awoken my love and interest in perfumes that regrettably faded away a few years ago.

The first blast has that perfect fruity punch of pineapples and apples that is so loved by the fans. Then for me it quickly dries down into the familiar and comforting smell that for me IS Aventus.

The Aventus smell is so difficult to describe properly for someone who hasn't experienced it and the lay person will have this problem in spades, just describing it as "Wow" "nice", or "lush". Compliments a plenty from women and men, but with no real focus about WHAT they like about it.

To me it's pleasant, calming and provides a very relaxing but strong confidence vibe. It tends to project reasonably well, without being offensive or the slightest bit invasive. It's a welcomed friendly scent without being too sweet, or too sour. It's masculine and musky, but also light at the same time.

A lot of the older reviews talk about incredible longevity and projection, but these modern batches regrettably seem to pale in comparison. This is an obvious disappointment, but even then the modern version is still a King among Kings.

It's without doubt my favourite fragrance. If you've never tried it before, should you get the chance in the future, please do.
03rd January, 2017
I am reminded of the Ren and Stimpy Show's commercial for "Log"... the line "it's better than bad, it's good!"
I wish I would've gotten into perfumery sooner, so I could have had a shot at what sounds like a fantastic fragrance.
An opening of fresh pineapple and real apples... turns into a phony apple air freshener note. Disappointing! I was getting thirsty.
It becomes greener, like a Granny Smith apple, and it seems that there might be some genuine black currant bud absolute in here. Vegetal, celery-like on my skin. I've lost interest though, because even though it seemed unwearable during the first 15 minutes, at least it was interesting. I'm glad I only got a sample.
20th December, 2016
One of the fragrances that got me into this hobby. I remember reading about it and then once intrigued, ordered some samples since no stores around me allow Creed samples.

I ordered Aventus, GIT, SMW and MI, hoping to get an idea of what Creed was all about. Aventus was the clear winner, not only in scent but just pure power. I think some must have spilled in the box I was keeping the sample in because each time I opened it for the next month I could smell this amazing scent that I wanted to smell like.

It does get compliments, does get noticed and does live up to all the boasts about the projection and longevity. I think it was the first fragrance that I had tried that came close to living up to all the reviews and hype.
16th December, 2016
For an Eau de Parfum it doesn't last too long. Also, at the store I tried it on the sample sheet and it smelled amazing, however when I sprayed on my body the smell was a bit different and I couldn't feel the top notes. However, Aventus has got a fancy fragrance and I'm not sorry for having buying it, actually I'm quite satisfied.
06th December, 2016 (last edited: 07th December, 2016)
I really wish Creed would stop sending Aventus samples with my orders. So many people gush over this fragrance, but I simply don't see it. After spraying it on a wrist, the initial opening is fruity..... almost feminine. On the dry down, I seem to get way too much spice. Almost like a high school kid who's trying too hard. Very unpleasant to my nose. Good thing longevity is so poor, because I couldn't wait for it to wear off. Couple hours, and it was completely gone! And I know it was a genuine product, since it came directly from Creed.

I also want to mention something about this fragrance having a "reputation" among women. Anyone who's reading this, just keep in mind that there are SO many factors that affect attraction that one simply can not pin it on a fragrance alone. Smelling good just gives you an edge.
03rd December, 2016
Lost Kingdom. Today I can not recognize the Aventus I used to wear and i'm very sad. 2016 batches ? I don't know why it's not really the same and so weak performances... no projection and last few hours (3-4) on skin and even on shirt ! Where is my Adventus, What happened to Adventus ? Creed reaction ?

12th November, 2016
a fresh, safe, versatile masculine fragrance

Starts off with a fresh fruity smell. the smoky birch notes then start to show up providing more masculinity to the mix. i then get accustomed to the smell and almost stop detecting it. it then shows up under certain conditions (e.g. body heat) out of nowhere as a very nice musky fragrance. the musky drydown stays there close to my skin for more than 24 hours.i like the drydown. its a very versatile scent that almost never disturbs people around you.
Just into the thumbs up territory.

Overall score: 7.8/10
10th November, 2016
bokaba Show all reviews
Summary: Musky Floral Fruity

I finally got around to sampling the fabled Aventus. Unfortunately, Aventus is part of the decaying recent trend of the House of Creed.

Aventus opens with a fairly pleasant pine-pineapple accord. The heart is a white floral and the base is a detergent-type musk.
06th November, 2016
Being relatively new to this world I have to keep things simple with this review.

I really like the Aventus fragrance, all the notes I can smell are pleasing to me, but on my skin performance is an issue. Obviously this is not the case with everyone but I am glad i didn't blind buy a full bottle before I had time to test this.
30th October, 2016
Tried this today in a department store today and subsequently really wish that I hadn't.

Had originally gone in to try something else but was convinced to try by the sales assistant who was raving about it. Upon first application it came across as fairly fresh but that very quickly settled down into something that I can only liken to something from the pound shop, which hung around for the rest of the day. No problems with longevity but the fragrance is definitely not for me at all I'm afraid.
15th October, 2016

Stardate 20161003:

A decent fragrance. Smells nice and clean and lasts long. There is not much development but then it is a Creed. Better than most of Creed and many other "Niches". The fanboys make it a bit hard to like the fragrance but that is not Aventus' fault. If the price was better it would be a thumbs up.

Update :
I got it for around $1/ml split and I should use that as the price rather than retail. So I am giving it thumbs up.
03rd October, 2016 (last edited: 04th October, 2016)
I was curious about Aventus because I wondered if it was possible to evaluate the fragrance without pre-scorn or bias, and if indeed I liked it, would I be able to say so? Alternately, if I disliked it or was lukewarm, could I say that too without having to tone down my words?

I dislike Aventus on principle – the hype, the crude jokes, etc. But the fragrance itself is pretty nice.

The opening is immediately appealing – a fresh, fruity note identifiable as pineapple but not tropical in any way. I am able to identify the style as the Creed house style, which comes across as watery, green, fresh, and sparkling in a slightly metallic but pleasant way. I think that many of the Creed Royal Exclusives such as Aventus and Spice and Wood play with the trope of fresh fruit (apple, pineapple) joined to a light, clean cedary base. It is crisp, aqueous, and pleasant to wear.

The base is smoky in a lightly-charred-woods kind of way, owing to a restrained hand with birch tar and cedar or oak wood. It smells slightly synthetic, but in a way that seems deliberate and therefore forms part of the fragrance’s charm, as in CdG Black.

As it dries down even further, it becomes sharper and more generic, with a “male aftershave”-y character. I could see my brothers wearing this. It’s clean and inoffensively masculine, so I can see why this would be a popular, safe choice for the office.

Pineapple over birch tar – it doesn’t sound like much, does it? However, Aventus manages to come across as more than a sum of its parts. Like Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDT or L’Instant, the fragrance might seem nothing special when you pick it apart or smell it on a paper strip. But when you spray it and wear it over the course of a day, it forms a sort of force field of attractiveness around you that cannot be explained away by the notes. You smell great and other people think you smell great too.

It's pretty soulless and generic-smelling. But it does its job of making a man seem clean, fresh, and ready to mate with.

26th September, 2016
This is a hard review as I believe with all the batch variations it's hard to give an accurate representation but it opens fruity (pineapple) and for me with some wood, goes into a musky light apple fragrance, stupidly good projection and longevity to boot, I am struggling as to whether it goes to a thumbs up or neutral review, I will put thumbs up for now though.

Scent: 8/10
Longevity: 9/10
Sillage: 9/10

Overall: 8.66
04th September, 2016
Being number 2 in a series of 16 reviews on critically acclaimed and noteworthy scents.

As usual with Creeds, I was dubious about trying this. A first reaction might be: pineapple? really? But then I have no objection to smelling like coffee, cocoa, aniseed, and any number of other comestibles.

There is perhaps less going on up top than the note pyramid suggests; either that, or the pineapple blocks the rest out. The descriptions of "smoky pineapple" and similar are pretty much spot on, as fairly early on the pineapple is joined by a smokiness that is comprised of, I suppose, the birch, patchouli, and base notes as cited above.

And... it's not half bad. I get on with it. The FWF family approves, which is important. Most of all, it smells rather better than it sounds. It's almost like a cologne type fragrance given the Andy Warhol treatment, the same patterns and figures, just a completely left-field palette. It does not, as I suspected it might, smell like I had spilt a can of Lilt* over myself. It's way more sophisticated than that. Not sure I would buy in a hurry (q.v.: Himalaya), but I would get use out of Aventus were someone to buy it for me. Thumbs up for boldness and blend.

* UK name for a pineapple and grapefruit carbonated beverage.
30th August, 2016
Great scent but not my favourite. I believe it is overhyped.
10th August, 2016
I'm curious if anyone picks up on a similarity to Raid : Ant Killer - pine forest fresh scent
09th August, 2016
Above all, Aventus is versatile. It's so fresh and zesty, that a scorching summer's day is its perfect accompaniment. Come evening time, spray on some more (your nose gets used to it really fast otherwise) and marvel at how the ever-so-slightly smoky drydown is just what the doctor ordered. Freezing winter? Of course, spray it on! It smells great! A true signature gem. I have a clone produced locally, which I usually layer with my 10ml decant of Aventus batch 11Z01 on my pulse points. The clone actually projects more, but after the drydown it becomes sickly and cloying, whereas the real stuff is simply sublime.

Five+ stars
20th July, 2016
I recently bought a 1oz bottle of Aventus batch 15X01 for 144 USD. This one is great for the pineapple lovers. I don't recognize all those fancy notes listed, but do recognize a pineapple one and something like a charred oak barrel.

The longevity is about 8 hours on this batch, but my sample dabbers from unknown batches all last 18+ hours and less juice goes a longer way from them.

Putting all the 'hype' aside, this one really is great. It isn't my favorite scent, but is near the top of my list. If you put this on, expect compliments throughout the day. It almost works the same way Axe works in the commercials.

UPDATE

Neutral rating at best due to the inconsistency. FFS Creed make it like you used to in 2012. Those batches lasted a full day and were noticeable the entire time. My bottle purchased in 2016 technically lasts 8 hours, but can't be smelled by the wearer after 30 minutes. And don't tell me it's olfactory fatigue because every time I use some from my vintage dabbers it is noticeable for the full day. My wife-to-be sprays the 2016 version on her and I can get faint whiffs of it when I see her again after work, but I really have to try to smell it. Also, taking the smoky note out of the new versions is the final nail in the Aventus coffin.
06th June, 2016 (last edited: 04th August, 2016)
Batches? I don't care about no stinkin' batches.

Is the attention muy annoying? You betcha! Despite that, I like the scent of fruity pineapple, particularly in warm weather, just fine. That, coupled with the ash/smoke and alluring drydown, ride waves of new-age aromachems large enough I often confuse with floaters, leaves this OK by me. I participated 50ml/$70 in a BN split a few years back - seems about the right price. A fan, just not a crazed fan.
05th June, 2016
Maybe I got a "bad batch" - twice. I've sampled this twice, and no, not a spray on the hand, but full samples. My latest was a sample I chose that came with my Luckyscent purchase.

I just.. ugh.. I don't get the hype. The pineapple everyone raves about is barely noticeable. you want good pineapple go smell Demeter Pineapple, especially if Aventus rocks your socks, you'll go crazy when you smell the pineapple in Demeter. Aventus' dry down is just mediocre too. Smokey birch wood, maybe some cypress. It doesn't even smell like a signature Creed to me. The older Creeds have a metallic tinge to them, even the newer of the older like VIW.

Aventus does smell good, but not good enough to have its own sub forum. If any fragrance from Creed deserves a sub-forum, it's GIT.
28th May, 2016
The pineapple is pleasing in the first five minutes but it is fleeting. I want say I smell melon and lemon in the first few minutes as it drys.

After the fruity scent fades I'm left with the smell of fresh pine needles and Christmas furs. I used to work at a flower wholesaler and during December our industrial fridges would be full top to bottom with Christmas furs and wreaths and that is what the initial dry down smells like to me. It's very pleasing, fresh and organic. It does not smell like the synthetic green smell you get with a lot of men's colognes. On a personal note it reminds me of the cabins from summer camp when I was a child. it smells like decades of the scents of wilderness gathering in the walls of said cabins. Or like a walk through forest of the smoky mountains.

Aventus smells fresh...I don't get any smokiness and the fruity notes are fleeting, except when I'm sweating the pineapple will briefly return. Overall it smells like nature.

It a good fresh scent and i don't find it personally imposing so I would say it's a great daily scent to wear to work. As a nurse who is frequently around new patients and in close proximity with them I would say this is a great sent that won't offend and may impress in some cases. I haven't got any compliments on this one yet a week in, but I have gotten great compliments with creeds royal oud and millesime imperial. I don't rely on compliments and the scent is pleasing to me and enjoyable to wear. This could be a daily driver for me. Time will tell.

Overall rating: 8/10
11th April, 2016
Batch: 14M01

The picture i get with this fragrance is
Slices of ripe pineapple, apple with a bouquet of fully bloomed roses & jasmine lying on a table along with high quality shaving cream & some woods being burnt in a distance.

Smells really natural & high quality. No clone of this fragrance comes close to this in terms of quality, performance & refinement. Totally worth the money.

It is true that it gives nose fatigue. Lasts easily 12+ hours on me & projection is excellent.

10th April, 2016
Before I try Aventus, I thought compliments on fragrance is just a myth. My colleagues at work, and when I'm out with friends commented how something smell amazing when I wear it. Especially ladies. So hype is definitely for a reason. My first bottle was 120 ml of 15U11 batch which is heavy pineapple batch with great oak moss and birch balance making it extremely masculine. Performance on my skin and how people react on Aventus was a really pleasant surprise. However, I notice a difference with my other batch, second one I currently own which is 250 ml flacon of 15X21. Both of them are great in longevity, 8-10 hours no problem. Batch 15X21 is little more apple, smokier and slightly leathery. It is amazing as well and those differences are slight, however I prefer first one just a little more and already consider this as a problem. Even if some other people prefer those composition more. Batch numbers is definitely an issue and minus for Aventus at my opinion. Hope that issue will be resolved once and for all with upcoming 2016 series of fragrance.
02nd April, 2016
Dear Reader!

In a nutshell. This fragrance just like many others has been ruined for money or for health and safety reasons. This was the political part of the issue.
The technical part. Lomani AB Spirit Silver and Afnan Supremacy Silver are performing better than the latest Aventus batches! I bought my first and last bottle of Aventus recently but I'm actually toying with the idea of selling it on soon.
I used to have samples and decants from 2012-2013. Beautiful they were. I loved them, big thumbs up. They worth the money till the last drop.
What I get now from Aventus is weak performance, unrecognizeable character etc. The opening note is clearly a pink grapefruit scent instead of pineapple. I can't detect any sweet blackcurrant or any depth at all. The drydown is short and simple. Nothing like it used to be! I miss the elegant, mossy vanilla drydown. Smokiness has gone completely.
Is it normal that even the Aventus fans play Dexter at home and mix birch tar oil etc to a niche perfume??????? It's like buying a luxury car but after taking it home you change the engine in it because you don't like the performance.
Once again. Afnan and Lomani are doing better since they can provide a constant quality ( not a gamble ) and draw in just as much compliments as Aventus used to do.
Maybe Creed could be a house who could afford going against the flow and not changing the ingredients from time to time, also ruining their reputation.
So. The recent batches are perfect for the fruit fans. Why can't we get at least a special edition with the old ingredients and big yellow warning labels saying that this is dangerous, hazardous, bla-bla-bla to your skin and your health. Than let the consumer choose!!! I might be a black sheep but no more Aventus for me, unless they bring the quality back to this product.
P.S. I ordered my bottle straight from france and in their webshop the description says "Aventus eau de toilette." Well, the performance perfectly matches the description.
Recent reviews here show that I'm not the only one with this bitter experience. Sad really.
18th March, 2016
Totally worth the hype and much more. Longevity and silage are way better than average (batch 15x01). So glad I'm able to stock up with splits from this awesome community (BN).
18th March, 2016
This fragrance is amazing. I don't care that it is so popular (though I've never met anyone else wearing it). Maybe there is a reason it is popular, it is really really good. I'm not in the habit of analyzing each note, in fact to me most niche fragrances are a confusing wall of scent.

All I know is that I have never smelled anything like it, it lasts, and it is incredible.

I'm very glad that so many people offer splits here, because this is one that I would probably pay full-price for if I had to...
04th March, 2016
Future Jason:

You are part of the love train for Aventus that is well documented in other reviews. Not much need to add, there.

Two things are perhaps more unique to your experience:
1) Two little half sprays are all you need. Much more than that, and you get diminishing returns. Last time you went overboard, you put this on the shelf and left it there for six months. Poor little Aventus.
2) Even with two little half sprays (hereafter referred to as "one scintilla"), this sits on your skin FOREVER. Just this week: you applied one scintilla on a Tuesday afternoon, and you're still smelling it on you on Thursday. You even threw on some Navegar late Wednesday, yet Aventus is powering through. It's not lingering on your clothes because... you know... you have changed those.

Perhaps Aventus is the Ice-Nine of scents, and is slowly changing the chemical compound of your skin to mirror that of this smokey pineapple juice. Can you imagine? There would be worse things.

Busy, busy, busy.