Reviews of Aventus by Creed

Find out more about Aventus by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

taint it sweet's avatar

A great scent....it gets a lot of hate on here, but I've never had more compliments from any fragrance...maybe not even all the others combined. This isn't my favorite fragrance, but when I get a whiff of it in the wind, it's hard to beat. Very unique and a solid masculine perfume. Not going to get into the note breakdowns, because I don't have the nose for it, but this one smells great. Definitely a crowd pleaser.

12th April, 2015

Prismatic's avatar

An absolutely stunning masterpiece that merits the acclaim it has received. The scent evokes feelings of masculinity, of refinement. Aventus is truly a timeless classic that has effectively replaced my entire collection. Buy this fragrance; it will more than pay for itself in compliments.

18th March, 2015 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2015)

Niffty's avatar

Aventus just nails it, it has that wow factor you wish you get when sampling a new fragrance, that feeling of amazement, that moment you put the bottle up to your nose or go in for the initial spray and get touched by something magical. For me it awakens and stimulates my senses in a way that evokes some kind of nostalgia, déjà vu if you like. The fruits harmonize with the florals so well with this perfume I think it underlines everything the Creed house stands for in their testaments and is their benchmark fragrance. Something for other houses to aspire to.
    Well done Oliver Creed hats off to you!
    5 stars

14th March, 2015

LJM's avatar

If I could only smell one smell for the rest of my life, this is what I would choose. I really am not somebody who jumps on bandwagons or gets caught up in hype. If I like something I like it and if not then that's fine and this.. I just cannot get enough of this stuff. As with everything there will be people who love it and people who hate it. I just happen to be in love with it.

12th March, 2015

sarlac1's avatar

I can picture Atticus Finch splashing this on every morning.

11th March, 2015

Adspainy's avatar

Girlfriend said i smell nice....

Winner :-)

Now go buy it!

27th February, 2015

tybro0103's avatar

This scent couldn't have enough positive reviews. It has awakened my palette and brought my cologne game to whole new level. It's the only scent I've worn that gets compliments - and lot's of them!

Smoke + Pineapple indeed! The smoke is a most excellent smoke. It reminds me of a campfire. I'm not 100% convinced pineapple is the right fruit, but something like that! It's not too citrusy or too sweet. My particular batch is primarily smokey.

Longevity seems quite good. I can still smell it at the end of the work day, though a bit fainter. I re-apply if I go out in the evening, but otherwise just 2 sprays in the morning.

22nd February, 2015

RyanC981's avatar

This frag is superb and gets many compliments from the ladies. How can anyone dislike this? It sshould be five stars, because it doesn't get better than this.

12th February, 2015

Casiquire's avatar

The scent is pretty good--smoky pineapple with a bit of green apple over the standard Millesime middle and base. This one does cause olfactory fatigue and the longevity is spotty, so you might not smell it after an hour or two and I've had it wear off completely within four hours before (to the point that others couldn't smell it on me either--not just fatigue). On the flipside of that, I've also had it last over 12 hours before too. Basically this is very sensitive to all kinds of factors. Adding to the temperamental nature of the scent, the infamous batch variations are very real too. I've used two different samples and now own a full bottle and all three vary slightly. The good news is you know basically what it's going to smell like, but the bad news is if you prefer more smoke or more juicy a pineapple it's down to the luck of the draw unless you want to dive into the world of batch variations and fining specific batches for sale online.

It's worth it though. The scent is good, it's strong so you don't need to spray much, projection is good, and it's a huge compliment-getter. Its reputation as a scent that girls love is entirely accurate, and gay guys love it too so as a man wearing this you'll benefit regardless of your preference. It's also not available in every department store so I think it can still be considered uncommon, but it doesn't smell bizarre or out-of-left-field so it's not going to offend unless you over-spray (which is easy to do, watch out.)

The smell is a bit harsh to the wearer which is probably why the fatigue happens so I wouldn't make this my signature scent but for days when I feel like making a stronger impression this is a masculine scent that people notice, so it's worth having a small bottle of it around. Is it the Messiah of fragrances? No, it simply smells good enough and recognizable enough to get compliments and stand out while tame enough to not offend.

06th January, 2015

wilesto's avatar

This is a 5/5 fragrance for me. The Pineapple and Blackcurrant notes are absolutely outstanding. For me, I get up to 12 hours out of this scent, as well as plenty of compliments. The fragrance is not cheap, but as with everything in life, you get what you pay for. People talk about this being a summer only fragrance, but i disagree. The smoky wood in there, means this works just as well in the winter months too!

31st December, 2014

Chanel1's avatar

Aventus is a strong, exciting fragrance, and I like the smoky, velvety feel, but the pineapple isn't my favorite. Plus, this one gives me olfactory fatigue, which is no fun. The high cost also influences my impression, because if this was a reasonable price, $60 for a bottle instead of $200 or more, I would probably buy a bottle and use it for layering with other fragrances, but my overall impression, including cost, is "neutral."

The longevity is fantastic, about 24 hours for me, but I've had similar longevity from Acqua di Gio Essenza which I like comparably well to Aventus and which costs less.

When wearing Aventus I do get olfactory fatigue, and I only get occasional wafts of the scent. These alternate between smelling like the best thing ever and smelling like an ill-advised pineapple fragrance.

28th December, 2014 (Last Edited: 29th December, 2014)

VGuillaume's avatar

Great scent, great projection and great longevity.
    Everything has been said about this one.

28th December, 2014

ClassicFan's avatar

At first it seemed like just a lame "sport deodorant". As it starts picking up steam the ingredients seem to be of better quality. The apple is obvious and pineapple more subdued. It still has some generic sport qualities but the florals push the scent into better territory. As the oakmoss comes in the scent improves alot and the sillage.

It's definitely a no for me but I can totally see why women like it because it gives you that manly sport locker room deodorant vibe but with better ingredients and freshness from the French apples and oakmoss. Ultimately something like Ginestre SMN has a stronger Oakmoss character if someone is looking for that. After awhile some musk appears and it all blends much better. Later on the wood becomes more prominent and adds character to the proceedings. It's similar wood you get in sports fragrances but much better quality. The wood blends with the oakmoss giving it a slight tobacco like smell. So this is the "burnt" part of the scent that people are talking about. Though I would call it would because there is no campfire quality here. It's wood but it also veers too close to '90s colognes I remember from school.

It's good at what it does but I'm happy for others to smell like this.

25th December, 2014

Zaroff's avatar

Belgium Belgium

I really don't get the hype about this. I smelled this from a bona-fide flacon at a reputable store, so no fake involved is possible, and what I got was a very anonymous, orange-pineapple like scent. No richness, nothing special, just became obnoxious after the first 10 minutes. Creed has done SO much better in the past, I really don't get what all the craze is about, personally.

I'll pass.

14th October, 2014

Q. R. Crumm's avatar

There is a reason Aventus has all the critical acclaim it does.

Basically it is fantastic!

I recently tried samples of Aventus and Green Irish Tweed, Aventus wins for me by a mile, I felt GIT to be a little bit "older guy" for me, and I am in my 30's. (maybe in 10 years or so).

Upon trying Aventus I have never experienced a scent that is such a good "all rounder", you could literally wear Aventus to any occasion at any time of year.

Aventus is the real deal, it is bang up to date and very modern, but not in a cheap and tacky "TOWIE" kind of way. More in a classy "modern gentleman" kind of way, it is very well composed, the balance is just perfect.

Even if no-one else likes this on me (which I find very unlikely) I will buy Aventus just for me...

Well done Creed.

14th October, 2014

silversurfer's avatar

7/24/12 lot ...12A01: quite pleasant, lasts, all the primary notes are there.
    11/30/12 lot ..12C02: more pepper, less pineapple.
    9/20/14 lot ...14D01 subjectively, not as good as previous lots, more ashy, but still pleasant overall, and a compliment getter. Strange, this lot, to me, seemed to have almost a Tom Ford Grey Vetiver vibe to it. I don't recall noticing anything like that on any other batches I've tried. Still great longevity on me - 14 hours so far.

21st September, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Beautiful smoky pineapple and woods...

I really like this one. I tried it out in the summer and every time I smell this in hot weather it impresses me! A really great choice for hot weather but can also be worn on other occasions across the year.

So Aventus was inspired by the life and legacy of Napoléon Bonaparte, using some the ingredients associated with his memory. Pineapple, his favourite food. Birch wood bark, from Louisiana (ruled by France at that time in history). Blackcurrant from Corsica, his place of birth... and finally Ambergris from the ocean, representing his navy.

It's a lovely smelling fragrance, mostly unique because of the Pineapple note, which I don't see in many other fragrances (it smells like a ripe, juicy Pineapple being freshly cut open with a knife). I also detect Rose, a little Patchoulli, and a tiny hint of Jasmine. I think it's all about the fresh, juicy Pineapple and smoky wood. I also really love the Ambergris base which is musky and salty at the same time. It smells like eating Pineapple by a campfire with something salty. It's a strange combination but it somehow works.

By the way for people who talk about batches, my bottle was bought in 2012, and I get a very fresh Pineapple note, perfectly balanced with the Birch wood.

I do think this one is really unique (ground-breaking... perhaps). But I also see this is a very "safe" fragrance, I think it's different, and I respect that. I also love it enough to wear it quite a bit, but mostly in hot weather. I can't see anyone disliking this... and I would imagine that many people both male and female would find it a very pleasing smell. I think this is one of those fragrances that you should buy only if you really love it, because only you can decide whether to pay the price which is asked for it. I think I do really admire and love this fragrance, for me it does the job. Bottom line is, if you love it it will be worth the money to you. No more no less.

12th September, 2014

wrs67's avatar

I get frequent compliments on this - often by the same people. One of the lunch ladies at my school came to my table, told me I smelled "intoxicating", and asked what I was wearing. Three sprays easily last all day on my skin. Good stuff.

04th September, 2014

ActionJackson864's avatar

This was the first creed I ever smelled. I think also the first "niche fragrance" I ever smelled. At first I wasn't fond of it. It smells good, but it's still not my favorite personally and I still don't see why people love it so much...however, every time I wear this stuff women stop me, smell me, and ask what I'm wearing that smells so good. I've heard women say "what is that smell?!" start looking around...been told I smell awesome and absolutely amazing. Creed Aventus is hands down the number one fragrance I've owned out of hundreds if I want to get attention. Number one compliment getter. Women absolutely LOVE this stuff.

24th August, 2014

jumpfrog's avatar

Very hyped - just had to try it. Overall it is a good, but not great fragrance. Thumbs up or neutral? Somewhere in between the two. It's just a bit...meh. It is very middle of the road, it won't offend anyone, and is very wearable. Initial pineapple and apple gave way after about half an hour to the smokiness. It is a light smoke however, that tempers the sweetness of the fruits. It's nothing spectacular, but I can see why it has so many followers. Although it may be unique, I don't feel this will turn heads nor will you stick out in the crowd. It's just a well behaved, well put together, reliable scent. The price tag is daylight robbery however, and based on my experience, I have no burning desire to add this to my collection. If I see a very good deal I might consider it. Personally, I think Creed frags are rather overrated in general. There is also a common note amongst all Creed frags that I've tried. I can't pick it out, it is there in original vetiver for example. Hiding in the background and holding things together. It's a note I'm not too keen on to be honest.

22nd August, 2014

sidewinder's avatar

All I can constructively add to the discussion is try layering this bad boy lightly with other fragrances and seek out the close to perfect and much cheaper clones if the price bothers you. 4 out 5 with points deducted for ridic price tag.

09th August, 2014

OneTimeOnePlace's avatar

France France

This is the first time i do a total 180 on a fragrance. My first review was largely negative about this, for some reason i thought it smelled rancid, i have no idea what happened, whether i had a bad sample, or i did overapply which is a possibiliy because this perfume is quite potent and can be nauseating in a way when overapplied.
    The fact is i'm now really enjoying this, i'm even considering buying a 75ml bottle, even if i find it a bit overpriced. What strikes me the most in this fragrance is the combination of fruity and smoky, incensy notes;
    i love fuity top notes in perfumes, whether it's mandarin, apple, orange, or pinapple, it's fresh, elegant and tasteful.
    This one works perfectly, one the top the pinapple is present without being too loud, it then turns into a smokey, incensy charm which i really like, i'm not sure about all the notes in this scent, but i'm pretty sure there's something like mandrake roots in there, there's this dark, bitter note lingering behind the smoke, which adds to the fragrance a mysterious, almost dirty touch.
    Because of that I don't think this is something you can wear casually, "the longevity is excellent, and the overall feel of the perfume exudes quality and mastery.
    A very good scent.

04th August, 2014 (Last Edited: 22nd November, 2014)

CGR's avatar

This cologne is a one of a kind. It's my favourite in my collection. Aventus projects like a beast and definatly smells unique. 10/10 fragrance

03rd August, 2014 (Last Edited: 05th August, 2014)

Picknenders's avatar

Here is the simple truth: it's the best. Women enjoy it. Long lasting. Nuff said.

02nd August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

Let’s get some preliminaries out of the way: 1) I have no idea which batch number my sample came from, and I’m not at all concerned. 2) A fragrance would have to equal vintage Patou pour Homme, Derby, or Feu d’Issey to merit the sort of near-hysterical acclaim that this fragrance enjoys, and I’m sorry, but Aventus isn’t that. Now pardon me while I barricade my doors and windows, and try to write a reasoned review of Creed’s Aventus…

Nice pineapple and cassis top notes give way ever so gradually to a an accord of smoky leather and lightly charred woods that is very slightly sweetened by a discreet clean jasmine note. The structure is really very simple and attractive, but as a fruity fougère set against the likes of Rochas Globe and Creed’s own Green Irish Tweed, I find it by no means overwhelming or original. Tropical fruit over a woody/floral accord has been done before – most successfully in Maître Parfumeur et Gantier’s Bahiana, less so in Polo Sport. Aventus is a heavier, more assertively woody fragrance than either predecessor, with neither the buoyant, beach party attitude that distinguishes Bahiana, nor the chemical "aquatic" features that mar the Ralph Lauren. As befits its overall sobriety, Aventus is also a relatively restrained, polite fragrance, with gently pervasive projection and moderate sillage. It will not jump out and grab you, but neither will it offend. I should mention that Aventus is highly tenacious, clinging to the skin for several hours before it fades into the familiar Creed Ambroxan drydown.

Aventus strikes me as a pleasant, well-mannered, amiable fragrance, and I assume that is why it has won so many adherents. I’m torn between rating it “thumbs up” or “neutral.” On the one hand, Aventus is a solid and enjoyable fragrance. (The incremental transition from fruit to woods is especially well-engineered.) On the other hand, it is neither novel nor terribly exciting, and does not, in my opinion, merit the hyperbole that surrounds it. In the end, I’ll settle for a guarded recommendation.

25th July, 2014

Emoe's avatar

After the hype, i had to try some.
    I bought a sample, batch unkown, and was quite impressed.
    However reading the reviews, 2010 seems to hiy high on many lists.
    I bought a bottle and its fairly new batch from lessenseurs in London.
    At first application, i wasnt as impressed as before, smelled a little too smoky for my liking, something i never had with previous sample.
    However. Once it dried down and settled, i gave me a warm smell, not necessarily old man warm, but warm all the same.
    The resulting fragrance is reassuringly masculine, as well as refined and upper class.

That said, its not my favourite Creed, and will spend my money on another of their frags.

19th July, 2014

chitown23's avatar

This is based on a sample from Nordstrom, so assuming it is a new 2014 batch. I don't get it, dish washing soap, a bit of pineapple, and very synthetic is what i get. I really wanted to like it but perhaps my nose is not complying with the hype around this. Hoping to try again to see what the hysteria is about. Dare I say I smelled a bad batch...

18th July, 2014

sdotlow's avatar

First, it's a bit misleading when you read reviews and hear a lot about the "hype" surrounding this frag. This isn't like Bleu De Chanel (that's not a dig at Bleu FYI), where you can find it on any counter, any where. There's a lot of hype in this community, but this community is rather small in the grand scheme of things.

Now, Aventus. Amazing scent. I'm not a scent guru, capable of breaking down each individual note (yet!). This is hands down the best scent in my growing collection. I sat on a small decant for quite a while, unsure about biting the bullet with all of the talk of batch variation issues. I decided to just buy a bottle online, and am glad I did. The initial burst of pineapple is wonderful, but I can see how some may not like it as much. But it turns into such an amazing fragrance 30 minutes to an hour after applying. It projects very well, but isn't cloying and off putting. It lasts forever on my skin, I can smell it when I wake up in the morning.

It's also quite the head turner, very unique scent I have not smelled before.

I was not sure whether buying such an expensive scent would be worthwhile. Most of my current collection is designer stuff, with a couple creeds (which will be growing shortly!). I now understand why these are priced much higher, and why you can't find much price break on Aventus online. Of course some of this is due to supply and demand, but it's really an amazing scent and worth every penny. I'm already considering grabbing a second bottle to stash away.

My current bottle batch is 2013 Z01.

10/10 - amazing longevity and projection. beautiful scent.

11th July, 2014

rok's avatar

By far the best fragrance I have ever owned. This is a dream fragrance for any man out there. Just a bit on the expensive side.

10th July, 2014

Traveling sales's avatar

Good day folks. Well, I purchased a bottle of Aventus from an online source and just recieved one from the Creed Store in the City. The online fragrence is authentic from what I smell as well as my girlfreind but there is a difference.

The online sample does not last as long or throw out the original pineapple scent as well.

The bottle from Creed does stay stronger longer but both get noticed after three-four hours.

Both have that Aventus authenticity so if saving 130.00 on a 4 oz bottle is crucial they both serve the purpose well.

But, and this test was expensive, getting it from Creed or I am sure authorized retailers does make a difference.

When they settle down both smell great.

The batch and probably the freshness reflect in stronger longer and a few more fruity smells at application.

Would I spend 130.00 more, if I have it hoping 8 ounces keeps me not reaching so deep in my pocket for a while.

30th June, 2014