Neutral Reviews of Aventus by Creed

Find out more about Aventus by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

chitown23's avatar

This is based on a sample from Nordstrom, so assuming it is a new 2014 batch. I don't get it, dish washing soap, a bit of pineapple, and very synthetic is what i get. I really wanted to like it but perhaps my nose is not complying with the hype around this. Hoping to try again to see what the hysteria is about. Dare I say I smelled a bad batch...

18 July, 2014

yellafella789's avatar

I have a 30mL decant of the U01 batch which was made in 2013 and I mainly get smoke, flourals and oak moss. There seems to be a tiny hint of pineapple but the note isnt that traceable. I have a bottle of Gucci Nobile at home and to me the scents are very similar at this very moment. Dont get me wrong, I regard Gucci Nobile as a very classic and appealing scent, but this was totally unexpected from Aventus. I would have hoped to smell more of the sweet pineapple freshness but I've been let down thus far. I will give more time and see what happens and if that doesnt work I might even try to oxidize the fragrance to see if it will liven it up a bit.

02 April, 2014

dark's avatar

Most of us, when we were kids, wanted the red one when confronted with a roll of Lifesavers. But there was always the odd duck who wanted the pale yellow--or supposedly pineapple--one. If you were that kid, this fragrance is for you. For me, the long-lasting opening is dominated by this wildly-artificial pineapple note. Interesting, but more inexpensive candy than bracing, fresh fruit. On my skin, Aventus then fades into a pleasant and inoffensive but weak and bland scent. I don't understand all the fuss.

If you preferred the orange one: Atelier Orange Sanguine
    the yellow one: Guerlain Imperiale
    the green one: Halston 1-12
    the red one: Habit Rouge (?)

20th February, 2014

rbaker's avatar

Having tried it a number of times, I have always had a pleasant pineapple-bergamot opening that lasted about an hour, leading to a jasmine with patchouli that's accentuated by a synthetic harsher birch component. All this remains quite dull on my skin and does not blend together well. In the base ambergris is added (surprise, surprise), but the overall impression is not that of high quality and convincing creativity, but of solidity with a touch of originality. Acceptable projection, poor silage and three hours of longevity. To me this is at the borderline between neutral and thumbs up, but the overall lackluster impression on me means that I opt for neutral.

16 January, 2014

Happyguy's avatar

I don't get the fuss

I had a date with the much ballyhooed Aventus.

The spritz and a huge pineapple rush followed by something fruity. Not too sweet, not overdone, but fruity. Within minutes the pineapple was gone, the fruit remained and something heavier underneath.

A while longer and it lingered. A nice light scent, still fruity.

Definitely different from other scents I've sampled but it did nothing for me.

Pros: Distinctive
    Cons: Fruity and blah"

21st August, 2013

Oldspice's avatar

Nicely done but not for me

I finally got around to trying the mighty Aventus. When I first spray it on I get the hit of pineapple right away but it dies down pretty quickly and I'm left with a mossy, fresh, leathery scent. The pineapple never totally goes away and despite having that pineapple in there it doesn't come off as a fruity smell. I pick up on the leather a lot in this. I don't get the smoky quality that most comment on.

A lot of reviewers say they wear this a lot casually but when I wear it I feel like I should be dressed up more to pull this off. Other reviewers say this is for all age groups, I see this more suited to someone 30 and above. It works well in heat but probably would be good in any weather. I get 8 hours of longevity easily and it's pretty linear over that time.

It's obviously a well crafted scent that smells expensive. I like it but there isn't anything about it that really grabs me and makes me want to get a bottle. I've gotten zero compliments the times I've worn it. The misses who really isn't that into fragrances said only "It's okay. It smells musky. This smells like some of the colognes my father used to wear".

21st June, 2013

Gary F's avatar

Where's the Pineapple?

I was so excited to receive this sample since I've read and heard so much about this fragrance. I love the smokiness. It's an icy smokiness as opposed to a warm smokiness (like Egoiste). The metallic note that was present in Acier Aluminium is also here, but the longevity is so much better with Aventus. The sad part was that I got zero pineapple on my skin. I must admit that this disappointed me. I wanted to love this one, but I won't be purchasing a full bottle.

Pros: Great Sillage and Longevity
    Cons: Where's the Pineapple?

21st June, 2013

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

A conformist, conventional fruity-woody that hits that spot right in the middle of the taste spectrum that ranges from zzzz to way-out. If we’re saying that sweet fruit notes played over a sweet and comfortable wood backdrop is the ultimate for the 21st century man, then, boy, this poor creature really cannot bear too much reality.
    Aventus’ top and heart are pretty immaculate (albeit unadventurous), the base less so. There’s a sparkling bergamot in the top and juicy sweet fruit (nope, that pineapple is nowhere near as distinct as some would have you believe) to which are immediately added some floral rounding and that right-down-the-middle wood note, sweet, reassuring, the kind that is the golden mean for mainstream masculines. It’s all pretty seamless, offering brightness, comfort, safe ‘masculine’ signifiers. It has an energy about it which makes me think how well this would suit young people, for whom fitting in is often such a big deal. That’s unusual as I tend not to think of perfumes in age terms.
    To its credit, apart from the bergamot which is fleeting as usual, Aventus manages to hold on to much of the other notes; still, the laundry musks at the base let it down somewhat. Quite a room filler in terms of its trail but not obnoxious about it. Easy to wear, but by that same token it ain’t going to be taking a walk on any wild side anytime soon.

17 April, 2013

Andrè Moreau's avatar

This is nothing but an average scent with a strong pineapple note.
    Nothing extraordinary for those people used to know many other perfumes.

25 March, 2013

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Fruity-acidic and sour which unfortunately for me evocative of fermenting apples, over ashy/smoky stale cigarrette-like undercurrents. AVENTUS projects obnoxiously well if you're not careful, lasting till your next shower.

This IS indeed the smell of 'success' - for Creed, that is. They are laughing all the way to the bank while I could hardly muster a smile. One key ingredient is missing - FINESSE.

20th January, 2013

wormstir's avatar

I can see why other people would like Aventus, but to me it is a relatively average scent.

Aventus seems to be made of three distinct parts - the first fruity hit of pineapple that lasts for approximately 10 minutes. This then turns into a sort of apple scented soap, which after a while fades into a sweet smoky incense (almost like smoked paprika) which lingers on clothing.

The longevity on me is poor, as is the projection...sometimes! Other times you put it on in the morning, where it seems to fade away as usual after 2 hours, then come the evening I am sitting at home and my wife is complaining that I am stinking her out with my heavy fragrance! It is quite odd how it seems to disappear and then come back much stronger later on.

20th December, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 April, 2014)

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

It's a good fragrance but hyped up like crazy and to be honest with you guys, it doesn't worth the price! it's my personal opinion.
    Start with green and spicy vibe and some fruity notes!
    People say the pineapple note is the main top note of this fragrance but I'm not agree with them!!!
    I test two different bottles with different batch numbers. the birch note is much more intense against the fruity notes like pineapple and apple to my nose. as I said, green and spicy with some fruity notes.
    Strong projection at the start.
    After about half an hour, the fruity notes start to decay and it's time for black current and oak moss to take the lead. green and leafy smell with hint of sweetness and fruity notes.
    Good projection like most of creeds but poor longevity on my skin!
    --------------------
    Edit:
    Now in high heat, the sweet pineapple note is much more noticeable but still there is nothing crazy about it!

20th November, 2012

Tabularasa's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Aventus was apparently created by Baltazar Creed in 0 AD as a gift for baby Jesus. After the formula was rediscovered in 2010, the scent has received plenty of accolades as being a great complement getter.

For me this is a solid neutral. It's fruity, it's smoky, it's very dull. Projection is weak, and I get a warm car-seat vibe after about half an hour. I frankly don't understand the praise that Aventus has earned, but I'll have to admit that it's quite unique. It's not for me though.

Edit: SI made me scrub it, gave her a migraine.

13 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 November, 2012)

Teach13's avatar

I was really excited to try my first Creed fragrance based on all the praise I had read on it. A lot of my excitement stemmed from the opening line of apples and pineapples. I know that initial scent doesn't last long, but it sounded fun. Overall, I was disappointed with the fruit I picked up. I've smelled mainstream "sport" scents that open fruitier than Aventus did on me.

Within an hour, Aventus was gone, and that was more than disappointing. However, about 2-3 hours later, it not only returned, but returned in a very pleasant way. I'm not crazy about roses or even vanilla in my cologne, but they worked well together at this stage. The next hour was my favorite time with Aventus. I clearly saw why it's so loved.

In the end, Aventus didn't project well at all, and while I loved a portion of the scent, if I'm going to drop this kind of money on a cologne, I'd like more consistency from it.

03 September, 2012

rogalal's avatar

I feel pretty ridiculous adding yet another review to a scent that already has well over 100, but here goes...

For the record, my sample is from the first batch when it had just come out.

It kicks off with about 3 minutes of really nice juicy pineapple and very quickly fades into pretty much what it'll smell like all day. It's a hard smell to describe, mostly a mix of fabric softener/dryer sheet smell over Creed's trademark ambrox base. There are lingering shades of citrus and a lot of salt. There's a chemical smell that has the nose-tickling brightness of an ammonia-based cleaner, but it's in the background so it doesn't ruin anything - all it really does is mix with the salt to make Aventus vaguely aquatic. That being said, somehow the mix of all these parts ends up smelling sort of woody. It's not a specific wood, but a chemical smell that implies both wood and ocean while really just smelling like chemicals.

Honestly, aside from the Creed mystique, I'm not sure why Aventus gets so much love. I find it quite weak, though long lasting. I'm no Creed hater - in fact, there are excellent Creeds that I think do what Aventus does better than Aventus. If you like the bright clean chemical sheen, I'd suggest Erolfa, while Milissime Imperial takes the vague ambox/aquatic/fruit mix idea and executes it with much more depth and richness. I can't help but feel like Aventus is just kind of sitting there, smelling OK but not projecting or doing anything, so it kind of bores me (hence the neutral review).

23 August, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

The first time I smelled this It smelled like a wet ashtray. There was little pineapple. After reading all of the positive reviews on BN, I gave it a second chance. This bottle was a wonderful blend of Pineapple and apples. Like all of the other Creeds I have tried, there is inferior longevity and projection. I can smell it on my clothes/skin after 8 hrs but There is no projection even to my nose after 4hrs. For a company like Creed to have such poor quality control is an excuse, not an explanation. Overall a disappointment for all the hype.

25 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 October, 2012)

impdaddee's avatar

Juicy pineapple, sure. Smokiness, yup. A hint of dreamy flowers, and musky charm. Smells super.

Great! Here's my $300. I'll take a bottle.

Then I get home and a half-hour passes, and it just vanishes into vague meh-powder-something-maybe smell.

???!!!

I try it again, same result. And again, same thing. #@&!%!!!

An expensive lesson: try, try, and try again before shelling out a day's wages.

I gave it away to a friend, who absolutely loved it. On him, gorgeous, great projection, long-lasting, masculine, not overpowering, in others words, everything we want a fragrance to be.

Try, try, and try again.

Lesson learned. Still out $300, though.

13 July, 2012

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Completly agree with Aaron01 - "Boring, inoffensive and unmemorable".

It´s a very expensive fragrance... for nothing!!! Not bad in fact... but will never worth the price!!!

I was attempted to buy this one, so I bought a sample first - Thanks GOD!!! I would never forgive me for wasting my money on this... Blah... For this price go for any Frederic Malle, L´Artisan, Tauer or even the cheap I AM KING from Sean John who´s been killed here by the basenoters but for sure is more affordable and offers almost the same thing... synthetic fruits... ok, without smoky... in this case.

26 June, 2012

ThePerfectElement's avatar

So much hype, yet so "meh" of a fragrance imo. At first I liked it, but the more I wore it, the more annoyed I got with it. I get the fruity pineapple scent up top, though I guess I was expecting a juicier, more tropical smelling pineapple. It kind of keeps that pineapple going and basically dries down with a clean musk and I get the birch as well. It does smell good, but it's so sharp and strong that it gets annoying after a while. I wore it today and enjoyed it for a few hours but then it just starts to outstay its welcome. It's almost misleading: I'll smell it in the decant sprayer and with how fresh and fruity it smells off the top I'll usually be in the mood to wear it mostly when it's warmer out, yet it's heavier than most fresh scents and projects like a freakin' BEAST on me. Seriously, I've done 3 sprays of a decant (that doesn't even spray that much) and I've literally gotten compliments from 20 feet away and had people say they could smell me like 5 minutes after I passed by. Also, longevity is great. It'll last about 8-10 hours on me, projecting the whole time, though when I wear it I kind of feel self-conscious just because of how strong it is. I feel like I'm carrying this enormous wake of Aventus with me and olfactorily yelling at everyone near me.

This is probably in my top 3 of most complimented fragrances, though whenever it happens I just think "I wish I could feel the same about about it". On the plus side, this does seem very versatile though. You could easily wear this year-round and it would work just as well casually as it would for formal events. It would be a great signature scent if someone really liked it. Aventus smells good, gets crazy amounts of compliments, has great performance, and great versatility if you go light on the trigger. It's just not for me.

09 June, 2012

bejahu's avatar

The synthetic fruity pineapple opening is interesting, but unfortunately the combination of smoky birch and patchouli in the heart of the fragrance doesn't work for me at all. Comments that Aventus smells like freshly minted money are not too far off the mark. It is woody and inky, and although many people here like, it does not smell good on me. I had high hopes for this one. At $285 for a 4 oz. bottle, is not a safe blind buy. This fragrance gets a lot of hype, so please try before you buy.

01st June, 2012

Aaron01's avatar

Boring, inoffensive and unmemorable.

An affront to some of the older Creeds (grey cap) that this swill shares the same label. Creed's synthetic attempt at trying to poach away wearers of Terre d'Hermes....or get magazine space in GQ

There's not much to say that hasn't been said already. Aventadus tries its best, has all of the correct parts, but it fails miserably in its execution. Far too restrained for its own good, this was held back for the skiddish masses who want to enter the world of niche scents but are scared of leaving the security of their blankie (designer scents) behind. Creed did the fruit note right when they did Acier Aluminium; make it loud, bold, brash and unrelenting.

Neutral for the scent, but thumbs down for Creed on this one. I find it hard to take serious their new releases

For pineapple notes done correctly check out Kouros Fraicheur or Lapidus pour Homme. This is just a waste of time and money.

28 May, 2012

biogon's avatar

With all the hype about how chicks dig it, I went and got a sample of Creed Aventus from Neiman.

While I can't attest to the "chicks dig it" characteristic yet, I didn't like it enough that I would buy a bottle for myself.

I picked up a little of that (in)famous pineapple, but to my nose, it was more akin to those Japanese scented car freshener jellies for the first hour or two. Strong, one-note. A fruity, high-class version of a locker-room deodorant spray.

As for the dry down, I got no smok or birch, but curiously, after the four hour mark, Aventus evolved very distinctly into the same Iso E Super-esque sharpness found in Terre d'Hermes and Sel de Vetiver, both of which have garnered compliments in the past.

Ultimately, it reminded me too much of an overly-sweetened prosecco. Bubbly, cheery on the attack, with a sour minerality on the finish. Perhaps accessible, but when was that ever a bad thing?

08 May, 2012

OverLord's avatar

Definetely not the best Creed on the market.
    The opening is interesting, but than it develops a poor scent reminding me of mass deodorants

05 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2012)

Akahina's avatar

This one starts off for me with a birchy, smoky smell and quickly displays a very nice pineapple note that is absolutely delicious! (Why aren't there more scents that use pineapple?) This fades to the middle and base notes after half an hour or so to vanilla/amber and musk that stays close to the skin for a few short hours. Silage is average to poor and longevity is weak for me. (I have the "good" batch # C42B11S01.)

This scent is a favorite! I truly love this scent but this is apparently an EDP that performs like an after-shave...

There are so many different batches and Creed can't seem to make this one with any consistency.

Smell: 10/10
    Sillage: 4/10
    Longevity: 3/10
    Value for your money: 1/10

UPDATE: After having this for a couple of years now it seems to get stronger with age. Youth is not always a good thing! This has become a favorite that seems to get better as it ages a bit. Maybe that accounts for all the batch variation questions? Just sayin'. I put this on 12 hours ago and just had someone say, "you small amazing!" Buy it, wear it occasionally and I expect you too will grow to love it.

Bottom line: If you want a great scent that does not last at a very high price and are willing to fork over a lot of cash and risk getting a batch that may or may not have that great pineapple note this is known for, buy a 4 oz. bottle for $285 or a 1 oz. bottle for just $140! Otherwise, try something else.

19 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2014)

Njtnjt's avatar

I went to NM in Boston yesterday and picked up a decant of this. I liked the opening very much but it dried down to what I describe as a laundry fresh barbershop vibe after a couple hours. I really dislike the barbershop smell of shaving cream which is where this went on my skin.

Normally I would not review a fragrance until I had at least 10 or more wearings over several months under my belt - but my skin turned red and rashy this afternoon where I had applied the scent to my neck and wrists so I will not be able to give this what I consider a proper review. I won't try it again and won't miss it.

19 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 March, 2012)

drseid's avatar

I love the pineapple opening. Who could have thought that someone who dislikes the smell of pineapple could be impressed by a pineapple scent?, Impressed I was indeed though with the opening of Aventus. The pineapple is not in your face, but rather supports the fresh citrus and synthetic top notes, and just "works." Unfortunately, things go south from there. The fragrance develops an almost tobacco leaf-like smoky accord that seems a bit out of place, and it starts to become cloyingly sweet, as the smoky tobacco leaf combines with jasmine, patchouli, and some heavier synthetics that wear you down over time. The scent continues down this disappointing path to the end, where you mix in the trademark Creed faux ambergris accord into the heart notes to form the base of Aventus. Bottom line is Aventus starts off with a bang and develops to a more mundane finish. Recommended to sniff for the relatively unique opening, but I would not recommend its addition to one's collection as there are literally hundreds if not thousands of better smelling scents out there for the money and outright. Aventus earns a very average rating of 2.5 stars out of 5.

15 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 January, 2013)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Not that I won't mayhaps change my opinion or even own it in the future, but this scent incredibly reminds me of Emporio Armani Him. In a way lighter, sweeter version, but non the less refined, lets say and tad bit sweeter. There is nothing about Aventus that would make me glorify this scent the way it's being glorified on this site in general. Would I recognise it as a niche in general? No. Is this some magic potion that came from the sky? No. Is this a good quality scent that didn't rock my world? Yes. I could name a dozen if not couple of dozen of designers scent that, if they don't actually "rock my world" have a good potential to do so. One other thing, it seems that Aventus is a great compliment getter, at least it is claimed to be by many here, and it also seems it's worn by the crowd exclusively on account of getting compliments and being noticed and not for the personal enjoyment in the scent per se. A very nice fragrance, all in all, and I do see a lot of potential here. Rushing to own it, however, will not happen in my case. I'll take my time.

06 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 26 September, 2012)

pince_nez's avatar

Perhaps we are bowled over and get awe-struck when we deal with Creed fragrances. Now that Frederic Malle and others which are more niche and forward-looking (Byredo, Margiela, Kurkdjian, Tauer, etc.) -- even Kilian and Amouage -- have risen to ascendance -- this illustrious house seems to have slightly lost its cachet.

Enter Aventus. It is expensive. It is exclusive. It is luxury personified. But ground-breaking it is not.
    If you happen to have come across Jacques Bogart's "One Man Show" in the early 80s, you'd have found Aventus. Yes, Aventus is better made. But is it worth it?

Non, in my opinion.

06 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2012)

mrblah's avatar

Not worth the price.

I liked the opening notes, and middle notes. It starts off fruity, then woody, but I can't get over the end notes. Its very "department store like". Its almost too perfect that it borders on boring. There is not enough character for the price this fragrance commends.

07 October, 2011

cal725's avatar

England England

I had very high hopes for Aventus from the reviews and comments on it here. I have also heard about batch inconsistencies, but more about that later. Anyway, Ii went to my regional Creed stockists to try it out. I was quite disappointed to be honest. The testers I tried were batches A42B10K03 and A42B10K04 (which I hear have a bad rep). The main one i tested was A42B10K04 and the opening was pleasant. The pineapple was the only fruit I could detect (faint to moderate) and this disappeared after about 15 minutes, leaving an ashy note for about 2-3 hours. I didn't really like this. I got good projection for the first 3-4 hours until the drydown kicked in. The drydown was very nice. A42B10K03 was similar, I got slightly more pineapple and slightly less ash, but applied very little so the scent was gone within 2-3 hours.

If not for the mixed reviews for Aventus, I would give this a negative without hesitation, but I would like to try one of the 'better batches' at some point. I found a bottle of A42B11N01, not a tester, but was reluctant to spend £175 to try it out (a 120ml bottle). Until then, I will look for testers that hopefully smell more fruity and less ashy like people say on here.

22 September, 2011