Reviews of Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne

Find out more about Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A solid and quality fresh and green fragrance that while it has almost the same vibe during the whole performance of it on your skin, it changes and will keep you entertain.
    The opening is a bitter citrusy note followed by some green and I would say leafy notes.
    The citrusy scent smell more like tangerine instead of orange to my nose.
    It's fresh, a little tart and at the same time a little juicy and sweet. very good balance between tartness and sweetness. there is a little bitter feeling of the orange's (maybe tangerine!) peel in the scent too to make it more natural.
    The green notes smell more like orange tree's leafs. it doesn't smell grassy or herbal.
    Comparing this to "Hermes Concentre d`Orange Verte" is true but only at the opening and a little bit in the mid. this one is a little more citrusy and a little less leafy and green at the top but the rest is quite different from Hermes.
    As time passes by the bitter orange/tangerine note is almost gone and I can smell a heavy dose of neroli and basil beside the green leafy notes.
    The neroli give the scent a fresh, clean, slightly floral and easy to detect soapy aura and basil give this fresh feeling a little sharp bitter herbal aroma. the mid is the strongest part of the fragrance as far as projection goes.
    The base smell very close to the mid but the basil note is much softer and also the neroli is more floral and less clean and soapy.
    There is a little bit of sweetness from musk as well but it's in the background.
    It's really good choice if you want your fragrance fresh, bitter green, clean, soapy and floral (mostly in the base) all the way through.
    Projection is above average and longevity is around 6 hours on my skin.

11th July, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Ok so Trèfle Pur immediately reminds me of Eau d'Orange Vert by Hermès. That comparison is undeniable, especially in the beginning...

Right off the first blast I get a very bitter orange, very green and fresh! I find it very invigorating and pleasant. I don't know the note of clover very well but I can detect violet leaf. It has an effect of being very watery and fresh, like the smell of grass and leaves after the rain. It also reminds me very much of high quality soap, I get a clean, fresh, orange-like soapy vibe. Which is something I happen to enjoy in this fragrance.

Overall it doesn't last very long... which is a shame, and I don't detect it after a while. It says on the description that this has 18% concentration of oils, but this has the lasting power of an Eau de Cologne (as advertised), so I just have to keep reapplying constantly. I would probably recommend Hermès Eau d'Orange Vert for a better value alternative to this one, which has the lasting power of an Eau de Toilette. But either way this is still quite good.

03 May, 2014

iodine's avatar

leafy green

I don't like much reviews starting with "this fragrance smells exactly like this other one", but I'm going to except right now: this fragrance smells almost exactly like the room fragrance Sous Les Feuilles by Esteban!

A fresh, herbaceous, slightly floral opening- tomato stems, sunny citrus, grass and leaves. As usual for me with most fragrances of Atelier Cologne line, the opening is juicy, invigorating, suggestive. In half an hour- count that I'm testing it in a rather hot day, so the evaporation times can be accelerated- a green, sharp, synthetic note makes a solo, to fall then on a rather common woody- ambery base.

A nice, harmless and a bit boring fragrance, impossible for me to wear on skin, after having used for a long time the aforementioned Esteban room fragrance.

16 June, 2013

onaluna's avatar

Sprightly green (more peridot than an emerald, if that makes sense). Citrus rind top note, clover stem, then a whisper of a drydown. Doesn't grab my imagination as much as I thought it would, but it's attractive.

22 February, 2013

heatod's avatar

The basil top note is incredibly strong. The first time I wore this I walked into the living room and my girlfriend asked me if I just finished cooking. Well made scent overall but you've been warned. It's a basil bomb!

06 November, 2011

alfarom's avatar

A zingy opening with bitter orange and slight green notes joined by spices and laying on a restrained mossy/musky base (which is where I also get some basil). Don't expect somethng stunning, but if you're up for a casual easy wear, go ahead. Refined, sober, incredibly pleasant. Quality stuff. Together with Oolang Infini, the most interesting composition by Atelier Cologne.

02 October, 2011

odysseusm's avatar

There are two aspects to my assessment: the scent itself (good) and the concept/name (misleading). Hence, I have a neutral vote.
    The scent itself is lovely: it is essentially a neroli-moss scent. The orange blossom notes are very well done. They convey orange zest, tree bark, floral notes... everything a person would want. There are mere hints of light herbs and greens. The scent deepens with spice and moss notes. The dry-down is mossy, gentle, classy, and very pleasing. The scent is not particularly original or distinctive, but it is very pleasant.
    However, I feel that the scent has a misleading name. Trefle means clover or shamrock in French. So when I see a scent titled, "Pure Clover" I expect a very green scent, with crunchy-leafy notes. Penhaligon's English Fern has moss and clover, and has that aspect. Diptyque's Eau de Lierre has an ivy note rather than clover but is the best example of the style of scent I feel this name implies. Particularly since Atelier has another orange blossom scent (Grand Neroli) I wonder why the theme is repeated so evidently here.
    In summary, the scent in and of itself is good; however, the name suggest something far greener than what I find.

07 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 July, 2011)

Scentologist's avatar

While Oolong Infini is unique and smells great also, Trefle Pur is the star in this lineup. The orange and neroli sparkles in this composition. Cardamom adds a floral component and the moss mingles with violet and musk. The overall feel of this is a light green musk with decent longevity and sillage. Its not a powerhouse by any means but if your looking for something that is dazzling to wear and you've not been satisfied by the likes of other fresh fragrances, give this a go. This is pure sunshine and happiness!

27 May, 2011