Negative Reviews of Not a Perfume by Juliette Has a Gun

Find out more about Not a Perfume by Juliette Has a Gun in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

gimmegreen's avatar
    gimmegreen
    Netherlands Netherlands

Like it says on the tin.
    Ricci got so excited by the synthetic amber Ambroxan that he decided to bottle it (in the right dilution, of course). Now Ambroxan is not without its virtues. Andy Tauer writes of it thus: ‘Ambroxan is a single molecule, but is smells very complex (amber, vibrant wood, floral tobacco) and not cheap like other synthetic ambers that you find in washing powder.’ It has a soft and polished satin-like feel about it. So far so good.
    However, most synthetics on their own – even fairly complex ones – don’t have the variability over time that makes naturals exciting and lively. This is like a musical chord prolonged for hours on end stripped off any of the harmonics that would normally begin to dance around it. Or as my non-perfume-wearing partner announced rather bluntly: ‘quite insipid’.

18 July, 2012

ladymurasaki's avatar
    ladymurasaki

I went to Romano's talk and he said it's good for layering. I just don't see the point in creating something so derivative.

10th May, 2012

Minkymaid's avatar
    Minkymaid
    England England

I agree. It's not a perfume. There's a light scent-a warming of the skin- but that's it. I think if I'd bought a full bottle (rather than the excellent value set of samples from JHAG) I'd be feeling rather disappointed in what I'd got for my money.

26 April, 2012

autumngleeman's avatar
    autumngleeman

I couldn't smell it so i used the whole sample. I still couldn't smell it. My girlfriend visited later in the afternoon and commented that i smelled like the smoky stuff they swing around in those globes connected to chain/rope in church ceremonies. she said it smelled strong. I'll have to take her word for it because I can't smell the Ambroxan myself. It just seems like such a novelty fragrance, not something to take seriously and spend money on.

24 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2012)