Reviews of Lady Gaga Fame by Lady Gaga

Find out more about Lady Gaga Fame by Lady Gaga in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Captain's avatar

I'm glad it's not semen and blood, personally. Heh. I tried this at Target and while it has a slight bit of unbalancedness, too much fruit I'm thinking, it smelled nice. Fruit, incense and honey mostly. And, honestly, not like other celeb perfumes I've tried. It's not a sugary mess, that's something.

12 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2014)

lpp's avatar

England England

The blackberry bit was sort of O.K., but the choking that soon followed less so.

01st December, 2013

Darvant's avatar

What to say?...Well, first of all i wish to put under the radar the unique element i fully appreciate about this juice (just inhaling it at distance otherwise the cloying effect becomes dominant)...namely....it smells in the background about acid/sweet sweat of woman.....this element is undeniably erotic to me with its sweaty pungent salty/sweet and vaguely acid/greasy hardly describable spark. This is granted about the background in accordance with my personal perception. Second element.... the fragrance is alluring for sure but in a cloying and synthetic "new-age" way (anyway thank God in a less intense level of "plasticity" in comparison with its "similar" violent twins around as for instance the new monstrous Cavalli Nero Assoluto). What this fragrance smells like? Mostly about a cosmetic violet/orchid/apricot/orange pungent combo, something like an oppressive violet (not listed-i don't know what the Belladonna smells like), something berrish/plummy type (a la Black XS for her) as an overshadowy fruity patchouli vaguely vanillic and fortunately just gassy in a moderate way. The orchid (a complicated flower to be implemented in perfumery) dominates i suppose on the side of the Belladonna over a barely detectable sambac jasmine. I don't dislike the usage of saffron in combination with synthetic olibanum both slightly prickly and barely "aeriform" till the end of the trip. The synthetic honey is never properly "honeyed" in a classic natural (old-school) way and we keep just its cosmetic sticky vibe which is never soapy and realistic but vaguely fat and acid. Hyper fruity dark aroma, too much aggressively floral yet. I miss the musk, the oakmoss, a realistic woodiness, some earthiness, all absent elements from a blend which with we just perceive an artificial sort of penetrating potion (possibly) destined to be a commercial crack but surely being a transparent fake in the universe of the rare olfactory artistry. Glamour and sophisticated in a way that the new world demands.

14 November, 2013

mimielle's avatar

Very much a different fragrance on different people. I advise a full day test on your skin before deciding. As a linen or room spray, I like it but I did not get the full development that I did on my skin.

For me, it starts with the floral and incense, then unfolds into the honey and apricot several hours later. I don't get the cloying sensation with it even though it's fruity. Fresh, ripe apricot is a gamey, musky fruit to eat while still sun-warm and that impression comes through very well for me but it did not turn heavy or overly sweet. It lasts 8 hours on my skin. I think this is one where re-spraying wouldn't smell so good after the honey has developed, it might clash with itself. I often think that about certain fragrances though...

Not everyone has a good experience with this. A couple of my friends tested it with me on a day we spent together so we could compare as the hours went by. It smelled quite different on them, both at the start and later as we compared together. They liked it very much on me but unfortunately not at all on themselves. I did not care for it on them either. It faded very early on one with just fruit but no honey coming through and sadly, it turned slightly sharp and skunky on the other.

I bought mine at Dillard's when it first released but just lately I saw it at Walmart, which amused me a bit.
    But only a bit.

13 November, 2013 (Last Edited: 09 December, 2013)

charlie.gund's avatar

After an opening that suggests something interesting may develop, it doesn't. Later, the smell recalls a tween with freshly washed hair who is chewing grape bubble-gum and texting about boys. The black juice in the sinster bottle ought to be viewed from a distance. Just don't open it.

14 May, 2013

jtd's avatar

Thank god perfume has the capacity to reveal truths that current mass media cannot. If you were to believe the visual imagery, the music, the PR, you’d assume that Justin Bieber was the tween idol and Gaga was the Edgy Artist who Will Not be Restrained ©. But Bieber’s perfume, with its stagnant topnotes becomes a kool aid made with non-potable water and has at least some edge.

Gaga’s scentscape of the mall shows that she’s the true tween queen. The shock appeal of stunts like the meat dress and Drastic Fashion is transformed in this perfume into the shockingly banal. Fame is a cloying, simple fruit soup. It rides a tight line between the dual sensibilities of 1) yet another faceless vapid floriberry, and, 2) worse.

Born this way? Reductionist, but that’s where the pendulum has swung and I get it. Smell this way? Good lord, no.

30th November, 2012

eore487's avatar

i have this perfume and i love it the smell is delightfull it is my favorite perfume ever

17 November, 2012

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Fruity punch that smells cheap and generic.

Nice bottle and story behind the black fluid.

Come on Gaga, you can do better...

Because I Love You; I shall give you Thumbs up; but please, next time think of all of your audience, not just the young fruity crowd!

20th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 January, 2013)

Jeszra's avatar

Incense and so syrupy sweet I can't really detect any flower.

13 October, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar

Underwhelming, even for a celebrity scent.

12 October, 2012

kmfdm10392's avatar

For all her avant garde fashion sense, this fragrance is shockingly middle of the road. I remember Gaga saying in an early press release this would be "blood/sweat/semen", then that was later changed to "cheap hooker" (and all that entails ). What I got when I sampled this at the fragrance counter was "that huge felt strawberry-shaped air freshener you buy from the car wash or the 7-11." It's that cheap and that linear.

08 October, 2012

OlfactorQuest's avatar

I'm not a fan of Lady Gaga (nothing against her, just never got into her), but I really like this perfume. I just have a sample but I'm considering purchasing a bottle. It wasn't at all what I was expecting. I asked the SA to recommend a perfume that projects "I'm the b*tch in charge" and this was what she pointed me to. It's actually very soft and sensual. The top notes are fruity, soft, and creamy. It dries down to a subdued oriental with apricot still in there and something warm and spicy underneath it. It's subtle and sheer but interesting enough to be enjoyable to wear. Low sillage and low to moderate staying power make this a great choice for the wearer who wears perfume for her own pleasure.

25 September, 2012

CoL's avatar

This is much more than your average Coty celeb fragrance. I do believe it even has some natural content. It starts all fruity (Apricot) then gets deeper and deeper and becomes alluring. This is where the insence comes in. Very clever! Just remember that even though the it states on the box that its sprays clear, any colour will spray clear! This perfume DOES leave a little colour on your skin if applied too closely. I have found the finer the misting and from a good distance seems to allow it become clear or it's much more thinly distributed. I'm on my 5th 100ml bottle!!

21st September, 2012

rttoronto's avatar

Sexy apricot and honey, smells Lutensian to me, above-average sillage and longevity.

14 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 May, 2014)

walkdogg's avatar

In her interview on GMA she says that she wanted the smell to be "slutty" and in the same breath says it reminds her of her mom.

rrriiiiigggghhhhtttt......

I smelled it, it's okay, a little pedestrian.

I think that Thierry Muglers "womanity" would have been more fitting for her both in smell and image.

14 September, 2012

Berlynnvintage's avatar

Appearances are very deceiving with this frag. Very soft and light, sweet but not overly sweet. I found that on initial spray it stayed purplish on my skin a few minutes.

07 September, 2012

anomie et ivoire's avatar

Opens with church social fruit punch, air freshener, melted popsicles; stickiness pervades. One hour in: some fine Body Shop type musk emerges but is quickly elbowed out by an overall impression of sourness--rich and deep smelling but somehow cheap, rubbery. And not even the fun kind of cheap, not skanky, but apologetic and budget. An artificial jasmine note stands out similar to the dominant one in Alien. There is at least some progression if I really pay attention and put my nose directly to the skin, but from any farther away and after ten minutes, Fame reads fairly linear. Is there really any truth to this push pull technology beyond the natural variation most any perfume goes through on any skin? I see and smell nothing exceptional.

Just before the base there's a wine and cigarettes vibe, which would have worked well with Gaga's image had it been better executed. Instead it's Manischewitz kosher wine above all. No real incense impressions after two wears and repeated sniffs of a card, only musk-smokey cigarette ash smell from paper and a bit of overheated electronics cords on skin, the latter could have been near-CDG compelling if had been amped up 10x (not even hyperbole; it's that faint). Once the interest of the failed incense passes, Fame becomes a bit annoying in its chemical soupiness. I had to scrub each time after three hours, but the scent had already mostly gone anyway.

Reminiscent of: a very weak, very bad knockoff of Cacharel's Loulou (which is an underrated masterpeice that I hate to disgrace by even comparing with lame Fame), a quiet Catholic school rebel version of Elizabeth Taylor's Passion (which I like better because it's at least intense), and in (in)substantiality: Coty's other scents made for two women Gaga's age: the Mary-Kate and Ashley perfumes. An uninvolved perfume SA commented "smells like cheap Juicy Couture velour." Almost velvety but more velour.

Overall rating: 1/10 for the opening ... 5/10 for the drydown = 3/10

I'd much sooner buy Madonna's Truth or Dare instead: rubbery, musky, and white floral too but actually sexy! No pun-comparison of the actual celebrities intended.

04 September, 2012

Alisa127's avatar

I really like this scent but only after its been on me for a couple of hours. I wish it lasted longer.

03 September, 2012

mjf2001's avatar

A dark hypnotic floral/fruit mystery that continued to unfold on my skin for hours, opening to a smoky, wood/incense accord with a strange coppery note running through it the whole time. I enjoyed it and found it complex, intriguing, most definitely unisex, especially in its black heart. Will purchase for sure. This is no Justin Bieber... Don't count this one as just another celebrity fragrance. It's the real deal!

09 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 August, 2012)