Reviews of Les Nombres d'Or - Ambre by Mona di Orio

Find out more about Les Nombres d'Or - Ambre by Mona di Orio in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

dlane1953's avatar
    dlane1953

Amber perfection

A slightly sweet resinous amber that is perfectly smooth and rich. If Amber holds a special place in your heart, you must give this a try. A perfect union of amber, vanilla, and cedar. Sillage is moderate, making it a good choice for daytime; longevity is excellent, over 12 hours. Perfectly unisex, too. Truly, this is the most perfect amber perfume I own, and I'll find it hard to wear the others after sampling this beauty.

For reference, I tested two of my favorite ambers against this over the course of a day or two. Mona's Ambre is sweeter, richer, and more luscious than Goutal's Amber Fetiche, and less sweet than Herme's L'Ambre de Merveilles. It's simply perfect. Two thumbs up!

Pros: Not too sweet, rich and smooth, long lasting
    Cons: None"

19 September, 2013

pavel's avatar
    pavel

Powdery Amber

Mona di Orio Ambre

Opens up with aldehydic powder, ylang ylang, a melon note, and an amber accord. The composition is balanced and gentle. Nothing offensive. Nothing jumps out. Colour that come to mind are cream, yellow, off white. The colours deepen as the fragrance develops.

The fragrance is like a lanky blonde in a yellow dress. Unremarkable, yet well mannered, somewhat elegant and inoffensive. She does not ignite your imagination, yet there is nothing repulsive about her. Her dress is not to your taste, but it is impeccable. Her voice is strangely monotone, but there is something comforting about it. Your conversation is slow, but if flows and you are on the same page. And the more you talk to her, the more wisdom you see in her. Some time later that day you realize that you just made a friend.

For me, Ambre is a comfort scent. It starts off light, gains depth, becomes interesting, but never overwhelms, or lets down.

It is not my go to amber, but it has a permanent place in my collection.

Rating: 8/10

veteverian.wordpress.com

Pros: Seamless composition
    Cons:

29 August, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

This Mona fragrance was unimpressive. It starts with a strong powder smell that is reminiscent of the old "Loves Baby Soft" preteens used to wear. I inhaled deeply and could detect ceder, but I wish I didn't need to try so hard. Amber began to appear at dry-down, but too little too late for me. I don't dislike it, BUT it isn't a Unisex. I gave it to my wife. The Late Mona di Orio has better fragrances out there.

04 August, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

A  golden balmy amber that reminds me the great Costume National Scent Intense, but with a more stressed womanly trait, a more restrained animal dirtiness, the exotic sophistication from ylang-ylang, spices and tonka beans and just a minimal touch of incensey smoke and leather. The ylang-ylang is an olfactory star in Mona di Orio Ambre being itself more spicy-floral than laundry-soapy. While in Scent Intense i detect the masculine  crispiness from the hibiscus tea and the darkness coming from the animal notes, the cisteine, smoke and syrupy patchouli in this fragrance i smell a dense, vanillic and exotic floral amber whose the dirtiness is moderated while the floral luxuriousness, the golden oriental influence from the balsams and the creaminess are more pronounced. The dry down is an oriental cloud of powder which features powdery woods, balsams and floral nuances. Uncompromissingly feminine to me. Another homage from the sadly departed Mona di Orio to the women all over the world.

01st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2012)

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Ambre starts off with the trademark di Orio house scent that is kind of a pleasant amber/musk scent. This kind of reminded me of the same opening Oud had when I smelled it recently. That said, after the opening notes, Ambre diverges into a very enjoyable cedar heart (although very different from the Virginia cedar used in her Vetyver) with hints of a semi-dry vanilla accord. The end result is a semi-fresh scent after the dark opening that really is enticing and very uni-sex to my nose while also not being too sweet. Longevity is well above average, and Ambre has better sillage than many of the other di Orio scents. Superb and full bottle worthy, IMO. This is my new reference amber. 4.5 stars out of 5.

14 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2012)

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

After my run in with Cuir, I appoached with caution . However, silly me- there is nothnig to be afraid of and everything to embrace. On top is cedar - lightly fresh wood- giving way to blended notes of vanilla, tolu ,benzoin and a touch of ylang . Spiced earth and drama concoction ,unisex and darkly sweet. Smooth , some powder. Not over the top - just right. Lovely amber.

18 April, 2011