Positive Reviews of Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons

Find out more about Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is a wonderful fragrance.
    The opening of this fragrance is a smoky and woody smell mixed with vetiver note.
    It's a very natural and beautiful combo.
    This opening remind me of "Lalique Encre Noir" in many ways.
    While "Ecre Noir" is a very quality fragrance, this one is even better! the quality is very good.
    In the dry down the smoky aroma settled down and now you can smell a very light and natural woody scent with slightly sweetness and smokiness in the background. some spicy notes trying to show their faces but they are completely in the background.
    The woodsy note is mostly sandalwood.
    The cedar and oud notes are much weaker and you can barely smell them.
    Longevity is OK but projection isn't that great!
    A great natural and quality fragrance.
    There is nothing so unique and special about it but because of great quality and also woods which are my favorite note in fragrances, it's a thumbs up for me.

27 February, 2014

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

I have seen the rave reviews about this one and was fortunate enough to try it recently. This is a fragrance that should not be judged by its opening but left to dry down completely and be tried out from head to toe.
    The opening is quite strange. I can't pinpoint every note there, but I definitely get the pepper and some 'saw dust' note that reminds me of another well known scent. I didn't like the opening very much as something was a bit harsh for me. But I definitely did a double take once this started to dry down!! Wooded harmony with soft, gentle sandalwood and no doubt vetiver and perhaps oakmoss. A true indication of what a 'fragrance pyramid' is, I sincerely recommend this.
    Definitely a masculine scent, but good enough for the office or a night out.

09 January, 2014

Shifty Bat's avatar

Wonderwood shares some strong similarities with Ikon by Zirh, Fever by Celine, Gucci Pour Homme, and Dirty English, all of which I own already so it seems redundant to have but it's just superbly blended and these scents just plain work on my arid skin. The comparisons to Encre Noire are true as well, but it doesn't sting my nose in the initial stage the way Noire does. The price tag is a bit much compared to the aforementioned, but if cedar, smoke, and spice is your thing, either Wonderwood or Gucci will certainly scratch your itch.

25 December, 2013

Is cedar the Wonderwood?

Excellent pepper note dominates the opening accord… and already there’s a smoky, incensey, wood background to the opening pepper and somewhat recessive bergamot. Dominant among the wood is cedar, but there are hints of oudh and sandalwood in the recesses. I would have preferred a stronger oudh and sandalwood and not so much cedar, but I guess cedar is cheaper. The pyramid lists caraway and vetiver, but they escape me… apparently they are overwhelmed by the potent cedarwood, as am I. After the opening, Wonderwood continues as a deep, rich, resinous no-holds-barred wood scent, accented with spices and incense, that has good projection and longevity. Nice, but much safer than CdG usually plays their cards.

As a sucker for this kind of wood scent, I approve of its strongly resinous notes, and I do enjoy "cedar" but it seems to be a primary and inevitable element in oh-so-many wood fragrances that have come out in recent years… Enough, already with the cedar – it simply doesn’t have to be the dominant wood in every wood fragrance costing less than $200. So what am I saying? I guess I’m saying that, of course I enjoy Wonderwood; but there are several of designer and niche scents that are based on about the same concept and are as good as or better.

Pros: Deep, resinous, wood scent, dominated by cedar (of course).
    Cons: Wish the guaiac and sandalwood would be better represented."

24 September, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar

Nice woody fragrance

I like this one. It does remind me a bit of Tam Dao meets Encre Noire (not my description, borrowed from a post). It starts off quickly with a citrus note that fades quickly into a wood that seems like sandalwood plus; clearly more than one wood note here. A nice scent, nothing awe inspiring, but very solid.

24 September, 2013

Jack Hunter's avatar

Wonderful Woody Fragrance.

Intense woods with a fresh oud as the backdrop with pepper and cypress coming into play to support the woods. Along the way you have a host of other notes making a string of cameo appearance's.

This is a very good woody masculine scent that would make a worthy purchase. I like it.

05 August, 2013

vawallpa's avatar

This scent really does live up to it's name. An extremely woodsy peppery scent burst from the onset that dies down to a nice vetiver with even more woods. I can see why some people would dislike this scent as it really is woods that dominate the fragrance. Sillage and longevity are pretty good but not amazing considering it's an edp. Definitely more masculine than feminine.

22 April, 2013

cfrench76's avatar

This is one of my favorites! The perfect wood fragrance anyone can wear, man or woman! The perfect amount of Oud!

07 January, 2013

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Nice thing!!!
    It´s all about LIGHT WOOD and PEPPER!!! I don´t get anything else...Oud, Incense??? I don´t think so!

Not bad but CDG is capable to do something much better!!!

25 June, 2012

drseid's avatar

I love Wonderwood. At first, I immediately noticed a strong resemblance to the excellent Encre Noir with its smokey vetiver and cedarwood accords. I thought "Very nice, but superfluous." Then Wonderwood's drydown came along and that is where it sets itself apart from Encre Noir and others... It is just sublime, smelling of an almost lemon-like note (bergamot?) mixed with sandalwood and a hint of pepper and oud. It is hard to describe what it smells like beyond the notes, but it is just incredible and makes Wonderwood much more versatile than Encre Noir, IMO. Definitely FBW at its 4 stars out of 5 rating, but if you already own Encre Noir you may have to decide if both need to be in your collection. In my opinion, the answer is "yes."

02 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2012)

supernaan's avatar

Damn. Love this incensy woody fragrance! If you really love your dry, woody fragrances with an incense vibe you should like this. Don't really get that much Oud if I'm honest but it's there alright. Big fan of woody fragrances so I can't knock this.

18 December, 2011

dollars&scents's avatar

Wonderwood by Comme des Garcons - Welcome to the wide world of woods! The interesting opening is a dank, forest tree scent, supplied by the melange of warm sandalwood, hints of zesty bergamot and anise-like, caraway seeds, earthy vetiver and creamy guaic wood. This impressive concoction is reminescent of a felled tree in a rain forest, with the attendant damp and green environs. Transitioning to the waiting middle, spicy pepper, ghosts of apple, plum and floral fruitiness from the cristalin, musky powder from the cashmeran, and savory incense enhance the woody brew. The awesome drydown with its rich cedar and enchanting agarwood tug at this lively heart, and is augmented by a charming patchouli, faintly bathing the cedar and oud in an air of mustiness, and a refreshing, dry cypress, with its hint of spiciness, exalting the pleasing, woody base. This high quality and exceptional composition has good projection, after some 4 hours becoming a skin scent, and excellent longevity.

02 December, 2011

boosh's avatar

Beginning to end is lovely, rich and dark mix of woods with a hint of oud and incense. Similar to what I remember Montale's Dark Aoud to be like. Quite mysterious in presence with regard to sillage and the almost "foody" gourmand character which is both delicious and alluring.

To me it could be a cross between Dark Aoud and Christian Lacroix's Tumulte. Dark Aoud being my favourite of the three with it's less subtle oud usage.

05 August, 2011

uxf's avatar

My current nominee for most suitable replacement for my first love, Gucci Rush for Men. In addition to the woods, (woods, and more woods,) it has that candied iris & violet element that is the linch-pin of Rush for me. Wonderwood does have some juniper and pepper notes that I don't detect in Rush, but these don't last long on my skin and when they're gone, I'm left with something wonderful and virtually identical to Rush.

10th April, 2011

alfarom's avatar

This is a nice interpretation of the Oud, mannered, never dominating but surely present. The first time I wore it, it immediately reminded me of a stronger version of Odeur 53 for it's almost undetectable mixture of ingredients. The opening is very similar to O53 on my skin with an expolsion of "clean" woods surrounded by a gentle oud. The whole fragrance is quite linear with a kind of sweaty-fresh or if you prefer dirty-clean effect. It's like having a shower after a sauna session. You got refreshed but you keep on sweating.
    It's somehow rough and masculine, but a the same time well refined and never loud. In my opinion Wonderwood isn't one of those groundbreaking releases from CDG a-là CDG2, Odeur 71 or Avignon, but it's very welcomed in today's sport-fresh-standardized mass market for its sober modernity and uniqueness. Incredible longevity. Nice job.

One more thing: If you smell it blindfolded, you immediately say it's from Comme Des Garcons, and that's quite enough.

21st March, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2011)

vinramani09's avatar

It starts of as woody incense but turns into a sweet mysore sandalwood oil , it lasts 7-8 hours on my skin , its a well made wood fragrance, if you like the incense series by CDG or woodsy fragrances , you will enjoy this!

27 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 June, 2011)

thecentennial's avatar

I am a big fan of woody scents, and this matched my expectations. Great initial pepper bite, with a touch of oud just tickling your nose. The cedar remains throughout and compliments the vetiver base very well. If you like wood, then I highly recommend this. Very masculine IMO.

14 February, 2011

Orgoglio italianO's avatar

Cformosa said it all :-) I really enjoy this fragrance,silage & longevity are pretty good. Try this...

08 February, 2011

Forza's avatar

Moldova Moldova

What a wonderful fragrance. Evolves from an initial blast of pepper and settles with subtle bergamot at the drydown.

30th December, 2010

cformosa4's avatar

Wonderwood is a woody stick of wood that has been soaked in WOOD!

You get an initial burst of the bergamot that lasts for about 10-15 minutes at the most. The bergamot then settles down as the woods come in the play. It reminds me of wood shop in junior high -- cutting, sanding and gluing, etc.

The pepper gives it bite, which it needs to simulate that sharp smell when you cut a fresh piece of cedar or oak under a ban saw. As soon as the pepper cools off, the scent gets to it's overall softness that doesn't change much throughout its 12 hour life span.

The oud is very quiet in the fragrance (which I like). It gives it a salty, smokey/leathery smell that a real chunk of wood smells like when you sand it for too long. If you sand wood with an electric sander for too long it starts to burn -- The oud does a great job at interpreting the smell of sanding wood for too long without letting it cool down. I love it!

13 December, 2010

hedonist222's avatar

Do you prefer what you like in intensity? Do you love wood? Then ge this. Intensely woody and a good amount of vetiver to make it tangy.

One of my all time favorites.

18 November, 2010