Reviews of A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

sidewinder's avatar

Hard to add anything constructive here. A man's tobacco, nothing sweet here. Excellent value due to potency. Layer with Eau des baud or TDH or Lomani Platinum for a twist. This one is perfect. 5 out of 5

09 August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

I keep trying the A*Men "Pure" flankers, hoping to find one in which the featured guest note balances out the (to me) oppressive sweetness of the original composition. Pure Malt gets the job done for a while, but loses its whisky embellishment and climbs back on to the dessert tray too quickly for my comfort. Pure Havane’s cherry pipe tobacco takes longer to emerge from beneath the viscous strata of A*Men’s woods and chocolate, but once it does, it proves more enduring than the liquor note in Pure Malt. As it happens, tobacco is not only an effective “corrective measure,” but also an exceptionally well-suited accent to the underlying structure of A*Men. The result is the first A*Men iteration I can imagine wearing with any degree of pleasure.

31st July, 2014

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Pure Havane to me is a good fragrance, but not a great one. As much as I want to believe that there is tobacco in there, I prefer it smokier, duskier, like a humidor, a gentleman's scent. I don't smell that all with Havane, it might as well be called Pure Cherry. It does have the A*Men DNA, making it smell like a chocolate bonbon with a cherry filling (or with the way it develops, the other way around). Still a thumbs up, but a hesitant one.

24 July, 2014

Tmoran's avatar

To me Thierry Mugler fragrances are about as high quality as you are going to get in a designer product. I get the impression that they put just as much effort into their frags as they do their designs. It shows in the quality of the whole package. Pure Havane is so well done and so natural. People say there is no tobacco in havane but I disagree. When you first spray havane it has a similar feel to A*men. But with a cherry note. Then as it dries down the tobacco and vanilla come up from the background to create a very very pleasing and quality scent.

I think this compared to angel men is actually pure perfection and that is what I would have named it. It has a perfect blend of notes and it is plenty potent without killing those around you. And IMHO it is actually pretty beastly as far as longevity and sillage are concerned. While this is not the same as tobacco vanille I believe it or not prefer this to Tom Ford. I think TM pure havane is less linear and skimps nothing in the terms of quality. I think if you have been looking for a good tobacco scent that actually has a good amount of it in there this is hard to beat. And again is one of the few brands in the designer market that will provide niche quality.

30th May, 2014

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Cherry, caramel, vanilla and bit of tobacco. Winter fragrance to the bone.
    Most importantly, finally in my possession as the demand is high and supply quite poor.
    Incredible how fast it came from "in stock" to "only 10 left" and in 2 days "out of stock".

The scent, like B*Men and A*men has this strong "winter drang" so it makes you wish it's at least -5°C outside so that you can wear it in it's full gear. Now B*Men and the original, A*Men are thick and invasive, whilst Pure Havane is mild, airy however not weak. This doesn't mean it lacks potency. As it develops on my skin, more I see a bit of a connection with Givenchy Pi but only when I shove the nose on my wrist. The fragrance glows its own character on the outside and that is its argument against givenchy pi notion or potentially that of other candidates.

It is difficult to say if I really like Pure Havane for its scent or is it more that it is such a hype, talked about a lot, glorified in a way just like Pure Malt and not that easily available. I tend to think that both reasons partake in my enjoyment of owning it and wearing it, being in that club of people who like and practice this hobby.
    Now I need to get my hands on Pure Malt and my ego will be completely satisfied.

Pure Havane is an excellent designer work full of life and character that bring enjoyment to the wearer. It is one of those products that inspire emotions and makes a wearer content, happy, and that matters a lot.

28 March, 2014

scentgent's avatar

Thierry Mugler Pops Your Cherry

I have been testing this fragrance for about 4 weeks now, so I think that I have a pretty solid handle on it. I would like to start off by saying that this overall "scent" is very solid. It is not harsh at all and the best word to describe it is "smooth."

That being said, this tops with Vanilla and Tobacco Leaf and dries down with Cherry and Honey. Biggest complaints focus on the heavy cherry and longevity. I think the cherry is pronounced, but not to the cough syrup level.

The biggest reason to consider this fragrance is if you do not want attention. You heard that right, you do NOT want compliments or attention. This is practically an "on your skin scent" after 45 minutes of application. If you are in close contact with people, that is an entirely different story. They need to be practically on your skin to smell this. That can be a good thing too, and I know that I want that experience at times as well.

Translation: You are buying this to enjoy the fragrance only for yourself and possibly a significant other. That is it. It needs heat in order to work. In the summer months I am going to assume longevity and projection problems would disappear.

Finally, I think with there was a reformulation upon the rerelease. It smells heavier on the cherry and weaker on the tobacco than when I last had a chance with this. I do not see this as an office scent. It is too fruity and unprofessional and there is a lot out there that is cheaper that does the trick much better. This would be a great casual scent however.

For a personal experience, it is very good. If you are trying to garner compliments, I would go with another frag. In comparison to the rest of the Tierry Mugler line, there is better out there in my opinion. It's still good, just not as good as other options.

Pros: Pleasant scent, Versatile
    Cons: Poor projection and longevity for a Mugler line frag"

02 October, 2013

mlsweeney's avatar

My favorite from Thierry Mugler so far

This fragrance is fantastic and I must buy for a person that likes the original A*Men. I really like how the tobacco note brings the A*Men formula together. I think it is composed much better than Pure Malt. This fragrance also garners attention for me personally compared to wearing Pure Malt. I also am impressed with A*Men series bottles and box design. It's not too sophisticated but it also isn't tacky either.

The problem with A*Men is the horrible sprayers. I hate how much dribble is produced from each spray. I don't think I've ever received a consistent stream from the bottle. This leads to possible over-applications which could make this fragrance cloying. It's pretty sweet so be careful when using the sprayer. The only other beef I have is how expensive it is for a designer but I think it was still worth the price. I haven't tried Animale Animale but I doubt it could live up to the A*Men series.

9.4/10

Pros: 1. Tobacco note makes this one stand out 2. Garners attention 3. Great bottle design and box presentation
    Cons: 1. I can't stand A*Men sprayers 2. Can get cloying quite easily 3. On the expensive side for a designer"

27 September, 2013

Tony T's avatar

A BIT LACKING

NOT THE projection beast as others in the line but not a slacker. a rich but toned down tobacco note remains from the beginning to and.some vanilla added also to ensure sillage.would be a 5 star frag but it does not project as well as others

Pros: GREAT AND UNIQUE SMELL
    Cons: DOES NOT LASTS AS LONG AS OTHERS"

19 July, 2013

lairdangus's avatar

Cherry cough medicine, cigarettes, and maple syrup

I should have known better.

After trying the repulsively sweet A*Men, I decided to see if one of the flankers might work better. My hope was that I could capture the "kaiju" sillage and longevity of the original but in a smell that was less nauseating. No such luck.

I hate to be disrespectful in my reviews, but the entire A*Men line strikes me as nothing more than a gimmicky one-trick pony. Thierry Mugler has amped up the projection and longevity on these juices to radioactive levels. The scents are redolent of maple syrup, cigarettes, and cough medicine. Is this really what anyone wants to smell like?

There is no subtlety or sophistication in Pure Havane or its elder sibling A*Men. It is an in-your-face gourmand scent perfectly suited for narcissists or those suffering from mild Asperger's syndrome. Wearing them is essentially advertising one's low emotional intelligence and disregard for the feelings of others.

NB: If you are looking for a tasteful, strong, authentically masculine tobacco fragrance, try Havana by Aramis. It is far superior to this witch's brew.

Pros: powerful projection and longevity
    Cons: smells terrible"

17 July, 2013

Bigtruck260's avatar

Excellent Flanker!

Really enjoy this one from beginning to end...rich tobacco

Ending with the usual AMen base. Sexy, different and great

For any occasion.

Pros: unique tobacco smell
    Cons: sillage could be a bit more like the original

09 June, 2013

fan.of.devin's avatar

A solid addition to the A*Men flanker line.

While Pure Havane doesn't smell at all like straight tobacco or cigars a la Cuba Red, a tobacco product it does smell uncanilly like is shisha. If you like to smoke hookah, you owe it to yourself to try this fragrance. You just may love it.

I found this to be a very pleasant and unusual gourmand; a fairly linear blast of cherry, honey, cocoa butter, vanilla, and just a hint of tobacco leaf. Silage is taken down a notch from the original A*Men, longevity is about the same. Those who disliked the tar note and weird petroleum note in A*Men should definitely give this a try, they're both totally absent here.

This is quite possibly my favorite A*Men flanker, though it's hard to compare this to Pure Malt, they're quite different and both very good in their own way.

19 May, 2013

aphexacid's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Terrible. This smells like a doughy honey. Thats it. Where is the tobacco? No where.
    Nausea inducing. I don't know why someone would want to smell like this.

Do yourself a favor and sample this somehow before you consider buying it. DO NOT blind buy based on the glowing reviews.

06 May, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

I love the smell of this. I do smell tobacco and it is a rich fragrance...BUT the stuff sits way to close to the skin and longevity is only fair on me. As much as A*Men jumps off my skin and runs screaming around the room, Pure Havane hides under my collar. It is still there an hour later...but hiding.

05 May, 2013

del's avatar

Pure Havane wowed me the first time I sampled it during its discontinued status. The opening of honey-tobacco (leaves) is syrupy, and is very addictive. PH differs from the original A*Men in a way that it is lighter/brigther thus making it more wearable, and if you smell deeper, there's a slight mint accord which lingers through mid-phase, along with the subtle tobacco. The drydown is a creamy vanilla/chocolate. Pleasant and delicious.

The original is still the best, but of all the flankers that I've tried, Pure Havane is at the very top. Very good longevity and projection, and a consistent compliment-getter. So when Thierry Mugler re-released it on their website back in early 2012, I just had to order it promptly.

04 April, 2013

Indagnacious's avatar

At one time I was immensely blown away by this fragrance, I'd say for the first 4 wearings. A beautiful slightly gourmandy cigar scent with smooth vanilla and patchouli undertones. Really, you haven't smelled this? You don't own even a sample? You should. Now after coming back to this many months later (as my steady rotation is about 200 fragrances deep....completely self-indulgent I know, as I'm not even sure such a large number would qualify as a rotation) I realize it suffers a bit from the monster longevity and sillage I've grown so accustomed to with the A*Men line. Yes the nose does become better and more nuanced over time.

Of course Pure Shot and Pure Coffee have the same issues in their own right, but the original A*Men, Pure Malt, Taste of Fragrance, and Cuir are so outstanding, you just come to expect such things. Having said this, the longevity and sillage is still above par, but could have been another 5 star. As such, I relegate this to the summer only and give it a solid 4 stars. Still brilliant work and one I will always own.

23 February, 2013

's avatar

Love at first sniff. To me it's the best in the Mugler house. Nice blast of cherry up top and to me it fades but never truly dies. Then you get a synthetic but nice smelling tobacco mixed with some honey. To me this is smooth and well blended. It is niche quality minus the niche ingredients.

21st January, 2013

PureVictor's avatar

I adore this cologne. It was a blind buy and it took me a day to wear it to fall in love with it. Not a sexy scent initially, more of a scent you wear because you love it. Several women have complimented this scent. It is sweet but it has a lot of depth. It starts out with an extremely sweet honey, cherry blast. It dries down into a honey tobacco, cocoa, vanilla. Can't get enough of it. Buy it!!! I'm going to order another bottle. I'm extremely stingy with it. I always spray one on the forearm so I can smell it throughout the day. Can't think of a cologne that has given me more satisfaction to smell it on myself.

16 January, 2013

Darvant's avatar

White i adore the velvety dark-silky Pure Leather's symphony, i'm not so much excited about the Pure Havana's semi-gourmand, starry-sugary white balsam. The fragrance is a sort of chocolatey-vanillic tobacco scent with the typical mentholated A*Men's vibe. Much more in the B*Men's vein than in the A*Men mood in my opinion. The patchouli is far less bombastic and brash and the juice itself is creamier and more edible than its older brother. Really sweet and one-dimensional. In the dry down the tobacco power tends to soften while the vanillic-minty vibe keeps on to be stout. In my opinion Pure Havana is appealing, almost agreeable and yummy but basically lacking boldness and too much linear.

23 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 March, 2013)

sharifhossain's avatar

Bangladesh Bangladesh

It was a blind buy because I was in a hurry and I put faith on basenoter's positive reviews. I was very disappointed when I first sprayed this juice. I don't like the top note because the Honeyed tobacco accord doesn't smell good to my nose. Fortunately the tobacco smell is very subtle and the dry down is just fine. The sillage is very mild and hence needs at least 5/6 spray for better projection.

Smell: 7.5/10 (don't like the initial tobacco smell but it doesn't last long)
    Sillage: 6/10 (it doesn't project that much, after 2/3 hours it stay very close to the skin)
    Longevity: 7.5/10 (It remains more than 10-12 hours but very close to the skin)

Overall 7/10

12 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st September, 2012)

comfortablynumbbg's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

It's the best of the Pure line, and my favorite Mugler fragrance. Opening smells like sweet cherries, and the tobacco vibe is really smooth and well done. Longevity and projection are good, and the smell is awesome. This is a very pleasant perfume that has no harsh drawbacks at all.

09 September, 2012

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

I am wearing a sample of this right now. I think it's an interesting fragrance, but that "honeyed tobacco accord" reminds me VERY much of Liz Claiborne's boozy SPARK and is almost overwhelming. In fact, the longer I wear it, the more like Spark it smells to my nose. I have grown to hate the smell of honey and/or rum in anything.

08 September, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

Very light tobacco and cherry wine makes this one a good fragrance. Thierry Mugler did a good job with this one. The A men DNA is contained in this masterpiece. The initial spray does not have the strong tar smell like Amen (not a bad thing).

22 August, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar

Pure Havane is basically, as others have said, sweet tobacco with honey and sweet cherry notes. This smells like a throat lozenge, basically. I detected the tobacco. It's very subtle, but I don't agree with the people saying that this isn't a tobacco fragrance. This also has gourmand notes such as vanilla, and Mugler's signature patchouli note. This is a bit more heavy and daring than your typical fragrance. Not everyone will appreciate this. Mugler is known for mixing a lot of different ingredients and coming up with strange gourmand concoctions that actually work. To me, I think sweet tobacco fragrances are overdone (and this isn't one of the better ones out there). I think Pure Malt is a much better release, but Pure Havane is pretty good - not bad at all.

Rating: 7/10

17 August, 2012

King Slender's avatar

Wow... what -a- fragrance!! Yes, you are blasted in the face with a raging cherry opening - and the pyramid lists the top notes as fresh tobacco leaves. Funny thing is.. I don't really start to pick up tobacco until the drydown. The cherry def falls behind, and the vanilla ramps up in the heart. The bitter cacao is faint and the patch keeps the scent dry and on track with that tobacco accord. Longevity is supreme.. 9-10 hrs easy. Women do love this... and it is quickly climbing my favorites ladder.

13 August, 2012

bcnking's avatar

Spain Spain

Right off the bat all I got was a huge explosion of cherry that really turned me off.
    Thankfully it goes away in less than half an hour and it becomes a pleasant sweet vanilla scent, with maybe a little cocoa powder at the end if you have good imagination.
    I’m disappointed because I didn’t find any tobacco notes at all.
    Overall it’s a nice scent, easier to wear than the original A*men, but with slightly less projection.
    However I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone looking for a tobacco fragrance, and I’m a bit mad at Mugler for making tobacco the main marketing point in a fragrance that barely has any.

05 July, 2012

rbaker's avatar

This has the same heavy, synthetic and at times cloying sweetness that is the hallmark of many of the Mugler products. Nevertheless, after the first few minutes Pure Havane blasts off with a remarkable fresh tobacco, that, although very sweet due to its vanilla accompaniment, is a convincing, rich and deep tobacco note, that after the first hour becomes more honeyed. After several more hours it is less heavy, and a touch of bitterness counteracts the heavy Mugler sweetness, and this becomes a well balanced scent. Whilst the sweetness is nigh overwhelming initially, Pure Havane's tobacco-honey-vanilla aroma is exquisitely blended, and a stunning version of the tobacco theme if you can cope with the synthetic sweetness. The longevity is heavenly for this A*Man variety, and one single squirt gave me a strongly projecting twelve hours. Overall, if you like that style, this is a beautiful scent for cooler seasons.

19 June, 2012

's avatar

Pure Havane is a well rounded, unique fragrance.

It begins with an interesting mixture of honey, cherry, an invigorating green note, and chocolate powder. Pure Havane slowly dries down into a sweet, powdery mix of chocolate powder, prune, and vanilla.

Good.

18 June, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 December, 2012)

MCTAKE5's avatar

I just received Pure Havane today and I was blown away. This is one amazing scent. The fresh and honeyed tobacco with the vanilla are blended so well, and note transition so seamless throughout the dry-down to the patchouli and bitter cacao who’s presence are both beautiful, and subtle. Worth every dollar. This will surely be my number one Fall, Winter scent. The only down side, it’s nearly June.

31st May, 2012

Dmotron's avatar

It's basically a toned down version of A*men with the tar note taken out and replaced it with a sweet cigar. Or its also a tone down Tom Ford TV, anyhow I like this more than both...I find TV too powerful and a*men a bit vile so this is perfect. Nobody says it simular to Burberry London but when I sprayed it on my chest and threw my shirt on and that tobacco really shined like London compare to when I sprayed it on my arm and it pretty much took that a*men path. My lady liked it a lot.

30th May, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 June, 2012)

JRVavrek's avatar

Better than A*Man for sure. Still has that sweet loooonnnggg dry down like it. Gets cloying on me. Good tobacco but I wish it were greener....

14 March, 2012