Positive Reviews of A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Find out more about A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Suave Scenter's avatar

This is good stuff. The fresh green tobacco accord blends very well with the honey and vanilla accords. This is an excellent winter/fall scent or even for an evening out but not for hot weather. Overall good job though.

This is very nice in small doses, but be forewarned, this can get cloying fast if over sprayed! 2 sprays should work fine and I would suggests spraying on wrists or clothing as the neck may become overpowering.

Projection, sillage, and longevity are all excellent for this fragrance.

20th October, 2011

ozebarjadi's avatar

Mugler's Pure Somethin' series is a strange phenomenon.
    The newborns carry the genes of their big-egoed hairy chested father, but the small changes add up to enormous differences in their character.

Imagine what single a garlic clove can do to a tomato soup...

Where A*men is loud and without a purpose (other than being different and offending people); Pure Havane uses his loudness to sing opera. The Tobacco and the mello-vanillic sweetness work very together to project a rich and confident masculine scent.

Do you want to smell like a man?

30th September, 2011

Ahree's avatar

I don't smoke a pipe, but the times I've been around pipe smoke, I've enjoyed it. This is very evocative of that warm, clubby, cherry-infused bonhomie. The drydown mellows it out and leaves you with a very pleasant heart and base that is mildly reminiscent of the A-Men pastry shoppe vibe, but it's much less cloying and toothache inducing than its flagship namesake. I acquired this as a decant, and while I don't intend to invest in a full size bottle (I was looking for something more appropriate for the office), it's a really compelling option for pipe scent aficionados.

22nd September, 2011

Lovescully's avatar

Wow, what can I say? I was half expecting to be as disappointed by this as I was with 'Coffee', but this actually just edges out 'Malt' as my top favourite of Mugler's Men range.

The tobacco note is most prominent to my nose, along with dashes of honey and a little vanilla. The surprise for me though is just how long I can actually still detect the tobacco note. It seems to last for ages. I guess that's why it's called 'Havane'.

Unlike 'Coffee', which in my experience barely held a weak milky coffee note for about 30 minutes on my skin, this version continues to exude a beautiful, sweet & slightly dark tobacco aroma for at least a few hours. Further development reveals the signature A*Men base, but without any trace of tarry notes to intrude on the lovely caramel.

I still love ‘Malt’ for its opening boozy sweetness, but ‘Havane’ goes to the top of the class for its extended longevity and slightly darker top notes. A very big thumbs up!

For what it’s worth, my order of preference for the Mugler Men series is now:
    1. Pure Havane
    2. Pure Malt
    3. B*Men
    4. Ice*Men (a much reviled & misunderstood beast!)
    5. A*Men
    6. Pure Coffee

13th September, 2011

killerloop's avatar

Heaven in a bottle... I can't stop smelling myself! I wear my fragrances for me and this is up there in my top 3 personal favorites. If you have the opportunity to get yourself a sample vial, it is definitely worth giving it a try.

02nd September, 2011

jamwires's avatar

Projection - Good
    Longevity - Very good

Picture an unlit Captain Black Gold over that Mugler base of caramel and patchouli - and lots of honey.

Sweet cigars that transition into a nice vanilla/caramel/patchouli. I don't think it's as "fresh" as some folks say, so I personally will use this more in fall/winter. Not something I want to wear everyday, but at least once a week, I get the urge and reach for this stuff.

18th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 05th September, 2011)

Oproust's avatar

I missed the A*Men Pure Malt train. Fortunately, I have a first class seat on the A*Men Pure Havane express. I love this fragrance. This is one of my favorite gourmands. Cherry tobacco, honey and vanilla notes dominate up front. The cacao note emerges early in the progression of Pure Havane. These notes remain for a number of hours before the patchouli appears. Longevity is excellent and sillage is very good. I've never tried any of the A*Men fragrances until I discovered this one by chance at a local department store. I promptly purchased two bottles.

04th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 28th November, 2011)

MrJones's avatar

It's all in the name: Pure Havane.

I've never wrote a review on basenotes before, but this fragrance is SO good I just have to add a thumbs up.
    If you like Gourmands then this is for you. It opens with a silky, luxurious tobacco note and slowly dries in to a gorgeous honey/tobacco/vanilla creaminess.
    Longevity is fantastic for me, easily 12+ hours.
    I find myself putting it on the back of my hand just so I can smell it through the day, If that's not a good thing then I don't know what is...

I have to add that I never got the cacao note, but that was because I never waited long enough. 20 hours after application I found myself smelling what I thought was a completely different fragrance, I get the bitter cacao so clearly now. It's not very often that a fragrance delivers on every single one of it's pyramid notes, but this really does.

15th June, 2011 (Last Edited: 16th June, 2011)

barclaydetolly's avatar

I tried this one several times in little sample spray vials, and liked it quite a lot; it was like a nice cigar mixed with some sweet vanilla, sugar, and a dash of powder. Then I splurged and purchased a bottle. Ugh! What a difference. Out of the bottle, the A*Men base (which I find acrid and unwearable) predominated, and I barely smelled any tobacco hiding under it. Consequently, I'm in a quandry about how to review Pure Havane; the testers are a big thumbs up, but my bottle is a big thumbs down. I guess the overall is a neutral.

Update: I just received a bottle (5/12) from one of Mugler's reissues, and it smells just like the samples I received a while ago. It's a great scent, much better than the original A*Men. I'm therefore changing this to a thumbs up.

03rd June, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th May, 2012)

subhuman85's avatar

I should have known better than to get my hopes up for Pure Havane - cigar smoke is one of my favorite smells on the planet, and a mainstream brand like Mugler couldn't hope to satisfy my carcinogenic fragrance cravings. But I have to sheepishly admit it's rather nice for what it is, and a refreshing change of pace from the FRESHY FRESH FRESHNESS of this year's pre-summer releases. A whiff of tobacco and honey on a hot day never hurt anybody, and when it's cushioned on A*Men's familiar bed of creamy, patchoulified caramel, who can complain? Not worlds apart from Pure Malt, but an improvement nonetheless, being smokier, sultrier, and slightly more dignified. (I never got on board with Malt's candied take on cereal grains and - yeah, right - scotch whisky.)

A nice effort. Now can we have Pure Coffee back?

31st May, 2011

Ariadne's avatar

I am a lady fond of masculine gourmands and Thierry Mugler offers me two phantastic ones to enjoy : Pure Malt + Pure Havane.
    When I bought PH blindly I was afraid at first that it might be too similar to PM and that I would invest my money for the same stuff in two different bottles.
    I can assure you I did not.

The two fragrances are similar in the sense of sweet-gourmand-extravagant but they differ in their overall notes.
    Whereas PM is pure caramel and dark chocolate on me Pure Havane is honey, honey, honey and a bit of tobacco. To be frank I do not smell much of the tobacco at all. The honey is powerful but very nice. Could not stop sniffing my wrist where I sprayed PH on.

The strange thing is : I detest the original A*Men, it is harsh, bitter and chemically sweet on me and tarry.

If you think you might like Pure Havane you should not hesitate too long...otherwise the only supply will be expensive offers at the bay.

23rd May, 2011

Indie_Guy's avatar

Fantastic.

This is NOT Pure Malt after a smoke break as some would say.

They really nailed the honeyed tobacco accord in this one and it's one of the best ever, for me. Very narcotic feel in the opening that just draws you in completely. It's smooth, seductive and full-bodied. Some tobacco scents just don't conjure tobacco, but this one has so many facets that I connect with a nice cigar or pipe tobacco even.

Also, many tobacco scents can be a little on the stodgy side, this one tends to have an element of levity and fun about it. Not entirely serious, in keeping with the Mugler spirit. I don't know how long it will be available, but if you like sweet tobacco scents, don't wait too long and take a chance on missing out!

26th April, 2011

silentrich's avatar

The most versatile out of the pure line and probably the entire men's line. One thing that needs to be mentioned is that this doesn't have the typical heavy tobacco note. This is much greener and to be honest it's actually a lot more accurate of a tobacco note. What really makes this special is the way the tobacco is balance with the honey, vanilla, and cacao. Delicious combination of notes and blending. Many fragrances with these same notes (or just a few of them), are on the heavy side. That brings me to the versatility. This sits on the skin perfectly and even on 90 degree plus days this never becomes cloying. Projection and longevity are both average to good. One of the best in the Pure line and one of the best tobacco based fragrances on the market.

09th April, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th April, 2013)

BeginnerNose's avatar

Yes, Pure Havana has opening notes of honey and tobacco leaf but it really makes its mark with the drydown: rum and vanilla. It reminds me of rum raisin ice cream but its not cloying.....I love it! I get alot of compliments when I wear this fragrance.

It is in the same class as Chergui or Tobacco Vanile but at half the price. GET IT BEFORE ITS GONE!

05th April, 2011 (Last Edited: 04th September, 2011)

djmelvis's avatar

Thierry Mugler did well with this one.

One thing to get out of the way immediately is this: I strongly disagree with anyone who think Pure Malt is anything like Pure Havane. I don't smell the similarity it at all.

Havane's top notes definitely hit strong, but it's not the boozy, slight hints of berries of Malt. It's definitely pipe tobacco notes. Personally, I prefer Malt's top notes over Havane.

The mid-notes and dry down is where Havane hits a home run. The tobacco sweetens out a little, which is a good thing. I love the smell of fresh tobacco (it's smoke I generally have a problem with). The cherry notes that kick in after an hour give it a sophisticated, sexy feel. It's a cherry Swisher Sweet minus the "ghetto fabulous" association. Definitely not cloying in the Spring weather so far.

It doesn't project -as- well as Pure Malt, but something as smooth as Pure Havane shouldn't need to reach out to someone like a bullhorn.

Overall, love it.

31st March, 2011 (Last Edited: 18th April, 2011)

argogos's avatar

I find it to be much more like Pure Malt than Pure Malt was like Pure Coffee. In fact, they are so similar in feel that I'm not sure I would have noticed a difference if I wasn't doing a side by side test. Frankly, the slight difference could be likened to the nuances between an EDP and and EDT. Having said that, I prefer the Pure Havane over the Pure Malt. That sweet, earthy Kentucky Blend works so well with the base frag that it makes seamless transitions. Where the Pure Malt has a harsher, more synthetic feel on me, the Pure Havane is a softer, multilayered, natural experience. As they dry down, the difference is more noticeable. Pure Havane maintains the strong base feel but the general impression is softer and sweeter than with the PM. I don't mean to imply that I dislike Pure Malt. I have really enjoyed it; I simply think that Pure Havane has superseded it. I see myself thinking of these as virtually the fragrance in terms of under what circumstances I would use them; casual/professional, or upscale/outdoor event. I will be inclined to use the Pure Havane in the Spring and Summer and the Pure Malt in the Fall and Winter. For the record, Pure Coffee is my fave of the limiteds then Sunessence Summer Storm, Pure Havane, and Pure Malt.

26th March, 2011

takeitupthenose's avatar

Great Fragrance. I have yet to smell the great Tom Ford so I can't comment to it. I have yet to really take in A*Men so I really can't comment on it. I do own Pure Malt which is probably my favorite fragrance to date. So what about Pure Havane?

Pure Havane is terrific. Think of someone walking into a Cigar shop and splashing everyone with a bucket of honey. To say it doesn't have enough tobacco confuses me because as the sillage now permeates my nose (I am wearing as I type) this is all I get. A sweet cigar smell, which is done wonderfully in my opinion.

I don't think it will be as complemented as Pure Malt but to me it is of the same class and rank. Be careful with spraying I think I went a bit heavy on the trigger this morning and man is this think projecting right into my face. Or at least spray it at the back of the neck. Whew!

15th March, 2011

lespritz's avatar

Although extremely enjoyable, it CLEARLY is a reformulation of Pure Malt...like maybe they corrected where the other one failed? Either way, this is on my wish list for sure! Great longevity, and not as overbearing/offensive as A*Men. It's a great smell, but sad that it's a limited edition. :(

12th March, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st May, 2012)

Chemistwithanose's avatar

Got this courtesy of a very kind fellow Basenoter.

This is not a strong, cigar-room tobacco. This is a fresh, sweet modulation of the A*men theme sans the tarry notes and the absurd, room-clearing strength. I don't smell the peatiness and guiac-smokiness of Pure Malt. Instead, there is a green component that I suppose is meant to be the tobacco leaves. The drydown is eerily similar to Pure Malt, so much so to my nose that I don't feel the need to own both. It's got a lighter heft to it and is quite wearable.

I feel it could be bolder. This is inoffensive when applied moderately. It has a sweet light green spiciness in the beginning with ever the faintest whispers of fresh tobacco that transitions into a bolder tobacco theme with honey abundant.

Longevity is good, projection is good (but not monstrous), development isn't terribly interesting and cacao makes a prominent appearance about 45 minutes in and holds on for several hours before giving up to the famous vanilla and patchouli duet.

Like Pure Malt, I feel it is an excellent gourmand. I also feel that it failed in the same fundamental way that Pure Malt did: it is not as expressive of its titular theme as it should be. There could be more contrast with the sweetness and tobacco note. It could have been harsher, more pronounced. The wood of a humidor could have been tied in as well. This fragrance would marry well when smoking a Montecristo and letting the spicy, earthy smoke permeate one's clothes. This is tame.

I can see this doing well in spring.

12th March, 2011

Grottola's avatar

Congratulations Thierry Mugler, you have finally created a fragrance that I can enjoy.

Angel Men Pure Havane is basically tobacco on top of Pure Malt, yes. What I like about this fragrance is that it actually smells like sweet TOBACCO - the tobacco here doesn't puss out like Tom Ford's overpriced shlock. As it dries down to the middle, it gets a wee bit powdery with some honeyed sweetness, and then the tobacco comes back again! This stuff projects well and lasts a looooooooooooong time.

Well done, I really like this one - and this is coming from a guy who hates sweet fragrances.

06th March, 2011

Jack's avatar

I think this does resemble pure malt and TV. TV is my favorite winter scent, and I think this is a suitable sub (taking price into consideration). This is vey nice, I am a fan of sweeter scents.

Shaheen's avatar

My first impression of Pure Havane was that it smelled closer to B*Men than A*Men. As I spent more time with it, I began to detect more similarities with Pure Malt. Still, I find the opening spray somewhat reminiscent of B*Men due to the spiciness of the top notes. As the fragrance transitions into the heart (and especially the base), the whole composition becomes much sweeter when the honey note appears, and the spiciness subsides. The base is a smooth, sweet honey tobacco accord that resembles Pure Malt to my nose.

All in all, I would describe Pure Havane as a sweet honey & cherry tobacco gourmand.

Although Pure Havane is my least favorite fragrance of the A*Men flankers (I LOVE Pure Coffee & Pure Malt), it's definitely a welcome addition.

ArkangeL's avatar

Even in a Cuban cigar, I can detect Mugler has been here... leaving a faint trail of coffee. Cacao-Vanille matured by patchouli. I find the tobacco to be a short lived chaperone to the ensemble of notes. If you don't pay attention, it will evade you. The styrax wood bark adds a nice finishing touch. Honey and vanilla act as a team accompanying the woody and herbal notes, maintaining the perfect balance... Pure Havane.

It almost smells as if this fragrance was matured just as Pure Malt was. They say Havane was constructed according to the art of cigar tasting, so I suppose its of the same nature. Concluding... this fragrance is rich, smooth, alluring and better than leather.

Dark Caesar's avatar

Pure Havane is a Beautiful Honey Tobacco fragrance for the Spring and Summer. The Tobacco is not overpowering, and the vanilla notes are well blended to form one of the best Colognes. Pure Havane can be worn year around, and for almost any occasion. A definite complement getter. This scent does not resemble Pure Malt or Tobacco Vanille. The signature A*men patchouli vibe is there, but in a lighter version. This stuff is Addictive, and a top 5 scent. 9.5/10

22nd February, 2011

Dkmode83's avatar

Sweet Honeyed Tobacco on top of Pure Malt is what I mainly get. Expected more Vanilla but mostly is Honey and Tobacco as Davidbee said. Overall I do like it for sure, but I definitely think this stuff is better suited for Fall/Winter than spring and summer. Just too thick and heavy for Spring and Summer in my opinion. Dry down is very nice but smells a lot like pure malt right out of the bottle just throw in sweet tobacco. Longevity is solid 6-8 hours on my skin and projects pretty similarly to Pure Malt. Would not recommend blind buying unless you love Pure Malt and are expecting not to wear it til Fall.

Overall Rating 8.5/10

17th February, 2011

DavidBee456's avatar

Is this a fresh spring/summer AMEN?
    It does have a great fresh sweet tobacco leaf note but wheres the syrupy vanilla and cocoa?
    I expected much more vanilla and cacao but I really get more and more honey and tobacco as it dries down.
    I might not remember Dreamer correctly but something about this reminds me of what I think Versace Dreamer smelled like when I wore that 12 yrs ago. I guess I was a expecting something a little more complex and gourmand.
    Try before you buy..and good luck with this. I am sticking to mugler cologne this summer.

13th February, 2011

cutternelson's avatar

Same impression when I first smelled Pure Malt - Unique to the max.

I am by no means a fragrance connoisseur, however, I'd like to think I have a decent nose attached my head.

Only having a few hours with this fragrance, I'll give you my first impressions.

It smells like someone mopped the floor of a fine cigar humidor with toned down Pure Malt. (minus the cedar smell from the cigar boxes) This humidor also doubles as an apiary to a special kind of bee that makes mildly sweet vanilla honey.

The opening definitely screams fresh, unsmoked, FINE cigar tobacco. I'd say TM accomplished exactly what they set out to do.

The tobacco smell makes me a little queasy because it reminds me of the taste of tobacco. Like, the actual taste of having tobacco leafs on your taste buds, and the sort of nausea it can promote. (chew, dip, tobacco - makes my want to puke if i swallow any bits of it. from my younger years.....I live life tobacco free)

That is the only unpleasant aspect for me.

Was this an immediate "WOW I LOVE THIS SMELL!!!!" ? No. I immediately regretted blind buying it. BUT....it is growing on me. (The same as Pure Malt, which is my favorite by far)

If you love A*MEN, and Pure Malt, chances are you will love this, either right away, or it will grow on you.

If you love A*MEN and all the flankers, I would say BLIND BUY. If not.....get a sample first.

As for all the other note break downs......I'm not your man. Someone else will have to provide their insights.

(potency and projection, in my opinion, are equal to that of Pure Malt.)

I gave it a thumbs up based on the quality, composition, and overall uniqueness.
    Hope this review helped.