Reviews of Juniper Sling by Penhaligon's

Find out more about Juniper Sling by Penhaligon's in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

Juniper Sling opens with a woody accord comprising vetiver and cedar (Iso E), plus juniper berries, a subtle note of cloves, a dusty base of patchouli, amber and perhaps cocoa beans, with a light animalic/musky note which I can not distinguish clearly but however gives a "carnal" and dark allure to the composition – there may be leather too. A decent, unusual take on a classic chypre, more spicy and less flowery, also less animalic/leathery, but with the same camphor feel, at the same time with a masculine, austere barbershop breeze. As minutes pass it also emerges better a rooty-powdery-soapy side of orris roots, and also the leather note arises more prominently, on a balmy-earthy base. Overall I'd say it's a "not that bad" scent, a nice rooty-spicy-earthy composition with a couple of less-usual accords (juniper), but overall it's also a bit artificial and pale. In other words, a missed opportunity.

5,5-6/10

23 June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

The London dry gin idea – juniper berries and citrus rind – appeals to me in its simplicity. My high hopes for the re-release of Lubin’s Gin Fizz collapsed when its juniper and citrus accord turned out to be tantalizingly ephemeral, and I’m sad to report that Penhaligon’s entry in the gin-and-tonic style suffers the same liability. I get five minutes of astringent juniper berry and citrus refreshment, then nothing but a very pale, clean soapy musk skin scent. The only juniper berry scent I recall having any lasting power is Creed’s Baie de Genièvre, but the Creed is a much darker, heaveier composition than Gin Fizz or Juniper Sling, and manages to endure on the skin by substituting a spicy vetiver base note for the effervescent citrus accord that lends the Lubin and Penhaligon’s their short-lived buoyancy.

I’m still waiting for my perfect Tanqueray No. 10 cologne…

19 June, 2014

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

I like this one's spring cool refreshing effect with the greatly adapted gin-fizz juniper note but the enjoying is quite short. Very, very short lived one to call even a fragrance. Would never buy but happily finish up if gifted.

25 March, 2013

Darvant's avatar

The way of the modernity is full of obstacles. This fragrance is basically a vetiver, note initially spicy, woody, watery and aromatic but finally banalized by a conventional woody/ambery sweet accord. At the beginning i catch nothing than dust, i mean sweet prickly spices (cinnamon, cardamom, may be nutmeg) and pepper. In a while a classic citrusy and aromatic vibe (juniper) starts enveloping the spices with a prominent orangy (airy) undertone. At this point the vetiver hangs out aqueous and aromatic, half Encre Noir and half Drakkar Noir. In this phase i find the juice more than pleasant, balanced and aromatic-resinous. Unfortunately the smell becomes with the time more and more sugary and fruity with some floral patterns. I detect the cherries and the sugary-spicy (i think to smell cinnamon) accord with a touch of balsams (benzoin?). Going on with the development a sort of woody ambery (dusty ambergris) chord reinforces the structure and restrains the taste. The dry down is conventional and ambery, masculine but a bit too common and really impenetrable. A (still, afterall) classic kind of juice with a decent temperament.

24 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 February, 2013)

dpark's avatar

Having known Penhaligons for over 20 years it is such a pity it now feels it needs to go down the commercial route.

Juniper Sling is such a good idea but the execution is a complete let down. The opening top note invites interest but the very swift dry down reveals a very mainstream, floral heart which, again lasts for such a short time, also far too sweet for masculine use. The base notes are far too tenacious lasting hours and proving difficult to lose.

10th May, 2012

autumngleeman's avatar

I like Juniper Sling a lot. When I first applied my sample, I was met with the aromatic and very dry beefeater-like gin and tonic quality that others have remarked about. That persisted for maybe an hour. Later, (while I was on the metro rail) I noticed something sweet in the air. Since a lady had just sat next to me, I first assumed it was her. But when I concentrated on the application to my arm, I realized it was me. I looked up the notes on my cell phone and sure enough, I saw that Juniper Sling had black cherry and brown sugar notes. I must say, I like this part a lot, possibly even more than the bright gin opening, which I also liked very much. It transformed into a spicy, sweet and slightly leathery drydown. From start to finish Juniper Sling projects a classic pre-prohibition era cocktail quality to it (which was the explicit theme for this perfume's creation). I actually didn't have a problem with longevity (without holding my nose to my arm I caught a smell of it here and there on me as long as 7 hours after application) so much as I had a problem with projection. The projection with the sample was indeed well below average and left me dissatisfied.

Despite this problem I bought a full bottle, largely on the merit of the cherry and gin cocktail heart and drydown (although like I said I enjoyed the brisk opening as well). I think the complaints below about longevity and projection are possibly a result of only using small samples. I won't deny that I apply Juniper Sling HEAVILY when I choose to wear it, but I manage to get a reasonable amount of projection afterwards, as much as the average millesime Creed at least. So perhaps bear this in mind if this issue has left you undecided about getting a full bottle.

17 April, 2012

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Juniper Sling starts with a spicy combination of pepper and cardamon. After a few minutes a light citric aroma kicks in leaving a very good impression, almost like a drink right in front of you.Trough time a woody accord appears in the base giving some depth to this fragrance. Making things short, an above average fragrance which lacks a little bit of projection and longevity.

01st April, 2012

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Nice idea, terrible execution. A fresh juniper note titillates for a minute or so, whence follows a high-speed drydown to virtual nothingness, bland skin scent at best. I'd rather have a few nice cocktails at a swanky bar for the price of this body mist falsely advertised as a fragrance.

14 February, 2012

Harvitz81's avatar

This has an upfront blast of juniper and citrus rinds. Quite a powerful initial burst. The Juniper and Gin like notes quickly dissipate though and you are left with a very light musky/soap dry down. Longevity is rather poor and the very promising opening leads to an immediate let down.

09 February, 2012

odysseusm's avatar

I've downgraded my earlier review. I still like the scent, but I don't find it to be outstanding.
    It has a brisk, aromatic opening. If applied liberally, one finds a good and accurate juniper note: tonic, energetic, bright, coniferous, green and herbal. Just what I'm looking for. I enjoy it, and wish it laster longer. It is regrettably short.
    The spices open up and a hint of leather emerges.
    The scent is not at all sweet -- it is masculine, restrained and dry. It offers a low-key leather-wood combo as it dries down. I don't know where the brown sugar and black cherry are... and I'm glad! I don't miss them at all!
    I summary, this is a pleasant, masculine scent. It is smooth, and primarily a peppery wood sort of scent -- and thus my reservations emerge. A scent called "Juniper Sling" should feature and maintain the green-aromatic juniper note much more than this scent does.

23 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 June, 2012)

alfarom's avatar

Penhaligon's goes Escentric Molecules. Juniper Sling opens with a blast of bitter/aromatic juniper and some spices. Nice but not particularly original. Resemblance to Gin is obvious but the accord is so efemeral that leaves me completely unsatisfyed. Pepper and woods break in right away turning the fragrance into a paler and weaker version of Escentric 01 (believe it or not).

Iso E Super? I wouldn't swear it but resemblance to Escentric 01 is clear as well as to other, even more generic, woody dyrdowns.

Abysmal lasting power.

30th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2012)

nonnative's avatar

Are Juniper berries the note I appreciate in JS? I don't know. But for sure there is something spicy that makes me happy. JS combines a man's cologne (that I don't normally like) with homely baked bread or meat. Like a stylish businessman cooking for a romantic dinner .... intriguing.

16 December, 2011

Steve Seyboth's avatar

England England

Only a brief review on what I've found so far.

Although I like Juniper Sling, I'm not sure it does enough to make me want to buy it. The juniper berry top notes are very poweful, almost too powerful. I asked a friend to give their thoughts on it & they said straight away it smelt like a G&T, which I gather is the idea. I don't get the cinnamon notes at all & only a slight whiff of orange brandy. The middle note of black pepper is strong too but that I don't mind as I'm a fan of pepper aroma. Leather notes are ok but it's unclear to me whether it sits well in this fragrance. I've yet to get to the base notes so reserving judgement until then. In all, Juniper Sling for me has a very safe, mass market appeal & puts me in mind of a fragrance from the early 90's that was very successful for a certain perfume house which I also liked but didn't purchase it because of it's mass market audiance.

14 November, 2011

Persolaise's avatar

Penhaligon's sole 'main range' release of 2011 is Juniper Sling, the much-hyped creation from Olivier Cresp. As its name suggests, it's based around a gin accord and sure enough, its opening does reveal a skilful blend of some of Mr Gordon's favourite ingredients: pepper (enough to make an Italian waiter weep), nutmeg, bitter citrus, cinnamon, coriander and, of course, juniper berries all come together to create a clean, likeable evocation of masculinity. Its heart doesn't last very long - which isn't surprising for a structure based heavily on the fleeting nature of pepper - and it quickly gives way to an interminable, synthetic musk drydown. But my main criticism is that it's far too safe. I'm sure Penhaligon's have a certain customer in mind for this release, but I just wish they'd decided to take him by the hand and pull him out of his comfort zone a tiny bit. He's impeccably groomed. The creases in his blue shirts are always in the right places. He wears sensible boxers which he always buys from the same shop. But last Christmas, he was given an iridescent silk tie and he hasn't worn it yet. Every now and then, he takes it out of his drawer, admires it and wonders whether he ought to choose it over his usual monochrome numbers, but he always puts it back, convinced he wouldn't be able to pull it off. If Juniper Sling had been just a touch more daring, it would have encouraged him to wear the tie with confidence. As it stands, monochrome wins.

10th November, 2011

HDS1963's avatar

The opening of Juniper Sling is outstanding, a flurry of heady Juniper and audacious spices. Then emerges a really fantastic leather note, which if truth be told, should last much longer as indeed should the gin flavoured juniper note. The combination of these two is really magical for the brief time they co-exist.

I'm giving this a thumbs down though.

The 100ml retails for over £100.00 for a fragrance which has mayfly-like longevity.

Unless Penhaligon's want to start developing a reputation for over-priced but short-lived fragrances like a certain other niche house much lauded in these parts, then this should be reformulated to EDP. The basenotes are so muted, so close to the skin for such a short period of time it's almost embarrassing.

From start to finish - ie the point at which I can no longer smell it at all - is around two hours. Others have had the same experience.

Great packaging and a beautiful bottle won't make up for the fact that Penhaligon's have got it wrong on this one.

It's not worth the price tag, which is a shame because at the outset this promises great things which the final denouement doesn't deliver.

Disappointing.