Reviews of Leather Oud by Christian Dior

Find out more about Leather Oud by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

This has gone straight to my must-have list. Wonderful stuff - sensual, silky, dirty, warm. If you're reading this, Mazzolari Lui, well, I still love you but this right here is how you do animalics while still retaining a modicum of balance and class. Everything here is so well-blended and smooth, that even though it is quite dirty, it manages to retain a round, sensual feel from top to bottom. Nothing sticks out too far - not the civet, not the leather, not the oud. The labdanum and musk combine to create this plush, pillowy base that feels like a cozy, toffee-ed amber.

I feel amazing when I wear my sample of this. It melds with my skin, smells sexy, and lasts past several showers to form this musky, skanky base on which to layer other perfumes. But when I am not wearing it, I find myself craving it. Keep in mind that I am a woman - I see that not many women wear this, based on the overwhelming number of reviews on here written by men. But to me, it is as cozily, warmly dirty and comforting as my other great skanky loves, Muscs Khoublai Khan, Mazzolari Lui, and L'Ombre Fauve.

It opens up on an almost fruity note of raw leather and incense, with a feel not a million miles away from the animalic leather opening of Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange. It is joined almost immediately by smokey woods, of which oud is one precious component but not actually the stand-out. The oud here is not the sharp, medicinal stuff you get in Black Aoud (although I like that as well), rather it is the smooth, smokey smell of the wood itself. It nestles snuggly in the bosom of the other woods - sandalwood, quite a lot of cedar - and is folded in there so neatly that it doesn't dominate proceedings. The oud is honeyed, lending a magnificent sweetness to the composition.

The civet and leather together could well have been a disaster. In fact, when I read the notes for this, I thought bleuch, a raw, macho tannery leather and the high-pitched, pissy whine of civet, good Lord, that will probably be something to endure. But the civet is very well-behaved in this composition, and the leather generally takes a back seat to the smoldering, smoky precious woods. It is dirty, yes, no two ways about it. But it is not an unpleasant type of dirtiness, just - what is it that Tania Sanchez wrote about Muscs Khoublai Khan - the sleepy warmth of two beneath a quilt. I was delighted with the round, silky quality of the musk as it dried down, shedding as it did any civety sharpness, and melding harmoniously with the leathery, ambery labdanum. The whole fragrance struck me as very deep, rounded, and nuanced, with a good dollop of filthiness snuggling in an elegant structure. Two very big thumbs up, and for me, it is a definite purchase in the future.

Oh and just to make sure I wasn't skiving out the husband too much, I asked him to smell me and he said, "Christ, I'm drunk," which I am interpreting as it at least doesn't smell too manly or disgusting to his nose (I do a lot of "interpreting" what my husband means when he is drunk). This reaction was at least a hundred times better than when he was asked to smell Tribute attar and Muscs Khoublai Khan up close, so I am taking that as a sort of go-ahead with regards to a purchase.

18 August, 2014

jumpfrog's avatar

A really great one, I love it. I found that it started off very honey like, in fact it was a little sickly for a while. It is a little sharp at first too, perhaps this is the civet making its entrance. The dry down is very nice and, despite what other reviewers have said, I found it rather restrained. I did get a bit of barnyard in there later on in the day, but nothing fecal. Leather and oud are very well balanced, this is so well crafted. Longevity on my skin - at least 8 hours. I am definitely going to buy this when I finish my M7!

05 August, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Leather Oud opens with a dark and dry accord of woody oud – quite different from usual ouds, at least the Western ones (Montale etc.), really "woody" and smoky in fact, not rubbery and not synthetic – enhanced by more aromatic and softer woods (I feel sandalwood above all), an austere leather accord - a bit plastic but good, dark, "roasted" - well sweetened by beeswax and dry honey, tonka, a slight sugary note on the base, a tasty aroma of coffee and a subtle floral breeze all over. Smoky, gloomy, dry, subtly sweet yet subtly musky at the same time, really elegant and sophisticatedly modern, with a decent leather accord – sharp and restrained, but well executed, and with a compelling tanning richness showing class and substance. Effectively, despite being a designer, it smells more like a good example of a niche leather-woody scent. Frankly I don't smell much civet in here, and overall much animalic stuff at all; rather than civet, just a (sheer) synthetic reconstruction of this note, which creates a light feel of "animalicness" that however does not even compare to real animalic notes that can be largely found is several vintage chypres and fougères – to which, by the way, Leather Oud seems taking part of its inspiration from (while sniffing this one I though of Ferré, Krizia, Balenciaga...). Nothing amazing, but good - insanely priced good.

7,5-8/10

02 August, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

I was really excited about this fragrance.
    It's not available in my country. so one of my friends did me a favor and send me a sample of this juice.
    By attending to the name and also all these positive reviews, I was expecting something very dark, smoky and woody which is completely up my alley!
    But what a big surprise! what the hell?!
    In the opening I get a strong woodsy notes (more cedar than oud)followed by some leather and a musky scent in the background.
    The leather note is not smoky or dark! it's light, hiding behind the woodsy notes!
    There are floral notes in the background too. maybe rose or saffron but definitely it's there.
    In the mid the woodsy and floral notes settled down and that musky scent become stronger.
    In the base I get slightly sweet and really strong musky scent with animalistic feeling.
    It's masculine for sure but it's not a heavy or dark scent in my opinion! not at all.
    The strong woodsy opening fade away really quick to a animalistic musky scent and you will have this scent all the way through!
    Both projection and longevity is good but it's not a monster!
    Quality juice and smell good but not worth the money in my opinion! It was on my buy list but not anymore!

01st June, 2014

purecaramel's avatar

Starts out smoky, then becomes very complex with stinky civet, oud and honey. Each component pops to the surface throughout the day as it softens slowly into a big leather pillow. I find it an extraordinarily comfortable, elegant,masculine fragrance. Thumbs up, definitely!

31st March, 2014

Francolino's avatar

solid sillage and duration, a must for every animalic / leather freak, the oud wood note is incredible!

06 March, 2014

bravacosta's avatar

This is an amazing scent. I spray on in the morning and its still going strong by dinner.

23 February, 2014

TheAntagonist's avatar

I have a Love/Hate relationship with this scent.

Upon my first inital spray, it reeked of piss and when I had thought those notes had subsided, I'd inch my nose towards the pulse area and the barnyard scent would come back and kick my nostrils. I went back again two days later and its as if the piss smell didn't exist. It was smokey, I picked up the nice oud notes, and I thought I understood the scent. On my third and last attempt to test this scent at home before venturing outside my home, that fecal note came back. When it wants to be tamed, this fragrance is amazing, but make no mistake, it's a monster with a mind of its own. I want to like this so badly. But I don't think Leather Oud and I can get along.

25 January, 2014

lairdangus's avatar

The "big swinging d*ck" of Dior's Collection Couturier

OVERALL RATING: * * * *

The "big, swinging d*ck" of Dior's Collection Coutourier.

Leather Oud is not what you would expect from Dior, or from a niche oud fragrance. The oud note here lacks the synthetic, medicinal quality of a Montale. It is smokier, as if the wood itself is burning. This is by design.

The leather opens with a slightly fecal note, but it is far from offensive, at least to my nose. There is also a floral element in the background, labdanum I believe.

The overall effect is marvelous--the individual notes combine effortless to suggest a rich, earthy, dirty, sensual luxury. It is the fragrance of a man who has accomplished so much and is so secure in himself that he needn't worry about what others think. Others will adapt themselves to *him.*

A note about civet: this is without a doubt my least favorite note in perfumery. I detest it. In fact, the civet in Kouros is almost enough to make me gag.

My admiration for Leather Oud is all the more surprising, then, because it apparently contains a rather large dose of civet. Personally, I do not detect it at all, and this is a good thing

Pros: luxurious, earthy, unique
    Cons: clearly not for everyone; an alpha male scent"

26 August, 2013

deadidol's avatar

A hugely impressive dirt bomb from a line that could benefit from some dirtying up.

This is provocative in the best possible ways as the civet does indeed hit you strong, but it's well situated against the leather, cardamom, and the oud. Given those notes alone, you know this going to be a stinky scent—and definitely not one for the faint of heart.
    Personally, I find that the civet attenuates quickly, and what remains is a rich, almost dusty animalic dirtiness that's carried beautifully by the supplementary leather. The whole composition is very dry, and the oud is your typical docile synthetic—which, in this case, works well in the scent in that it offers consistency. There's cardamom here that declares a slight suggestion of BO as well, which, again, works complimentarily. Given the difficulty of these ingredients, the scent is brilliantly rendered in that initiates a push-pull dynamic between beautiful and fetid.
    The overall effect creates an engaging aesthetic headspace which, for my nose, recalls old hotel rooms, smoke-infused '70s furniture, and clothes that have been packed away in a dusty basement for years. Clearly, these are not spaces everyone would be drawn to—nor is Leather Oud going to win any fans who favor clean aquatics, or even the over-blown opulence of the rest of couture line. But the scent settles well on the skin, and the wood notes slide onto the scene carrying subtle hints of honey that don't detract from the overall dryness. Once the elements all settle, the result is jaw-dropping drydown of woody, rich musk.
    Personally, I find Dior's couture blends to be very underwhelming, but this is the clear standout in relation to invention and ingenuity. If you like Muscs Koublai Khan, Absolue pour le Soir, or some of the more fecund scents out there, you'll appreciate how effectively this plays with ordinarily volatile notes, and does so masterfully. However, if you lean more toward "nice" scents that smell clean, fresh, or sweet, I'd keep your distance from this one. It's an extraordinarily well done, impressively assembled fragrance that will challenge the wearer beautifully.

Pros: Engenders an incredible aesthetic headspace that's as sinister as it is appealing.
    Cons: Challenging, but in the best possible way.

23 June, 2013

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Not for everybody

I love love this. It is strong, deep dark and just preciously natural. I love the fact that all my fav notes are present (civet, leather, etc) and in doses I prefer: heavy. This is certainly not for everyone, especially if your nose has not developed.

Reminds me of the first time I smelled Kouros, I thought, what in the world? this stinks!!! Then I grew to love it. I get the same effect here: initial blast is like oh my God, then I could not stop sniffing. I would not wear this on a crowded bus or when you will be in close proximity to people who do not get fragrances in general. They might think you smell awful. That said, I would apply this to bare skin in moderation. Then let your body's natural chemistry do its thing.

Pros: True to its name
    Cons: to me, none.

21st June, 2013

blueyezz's avatar

Disappointing

Maybe its just me but I can't help feeling that this is like draft that somehow managed to slip past the price-justification Monitor. Should be all the things I like, smoke, wood, leather, oud, but somehow it just goes flat as a pancake on me. Where's the development, complexity or in the absence of this, obviously good quality ingredients? This smells like I've rubbed a bar of Imperial Leather soap on my wrist. While I've never been a fan of monster sillage (I'm looking at you, Kouros) projection is non-existant to the point of pointless.

Others clearly love it, so maybe it it just me.

Pros: Nice bottle
    Cons: Just not up to scratch

03 June, 2013

kaizer121's avatar

Complicatted

This fragrance opens with a bang that a lot of people aren't going to like. I myself don't care highly for the opening. It's harsh, it's animalic, and it's got some STANK but me-oh-my does it mellow out. It starts off as basically straight up a mix of civet, leather and oud with the civet dominating. I usually hate civet but in this case I give it a pass as tolerable. The leather is a dirty leather and the oud plays third fiddle to the two aforementioned notes

The drydown, which comes a mear 2-5 minutes after application, has some of the stank lingering from the opening, but for the most part the civet fades into the background. It's still there but it's nowhere near as noticeable. The leather and oud dominate now and some of the sweet notes, particularly the honey come out. The civet is almost not noticeable at this point unless you stick your nose right up against the skin. Now it really is a mix of leather and oud with some sweet spices and some animalic stank in the background. It's hyper-masculine, a type of scent I'd imagine many women won't love. For me this is something I own for my own personal enjoyment and nobody else's. I've only worn it at home so far, but that may change when the climate cools off.

In any case, I'd recommend going easy on the trigger here. One spray under the clothes is all I'd ever consider if I was going out in public, it's quite pungent and the longevity is absurd. Overall it's an amazing scent that's a bit hard to find the time to wear. But if you love it like I do, wear it for yourself.

30th May, 2013

Mrpleasent's avatar

This is not a scent for the faint hearted. I can see why some people like it as the quality is there but for me the civet note is a bit too much. It's definitely a scent for cool or cold weather but I'm struggling to think of an occasion when it could be worn as its quite confronting and has beast mode longevity. One spray and you are in a leather oud scent cloud whether you like it or not for a good 12 - 14 hours, I've smelt it on my clothes weeks after wearing.

25 April, 2013

Ordinaryguy's avatar

This one is a winner for me. I ordered a sample from the Perfumed Court and now I'm going back for more! The civat is quite pronounced on my skin and I'm fascinated by it. It's definitely not for the faint of heart. Excellent longevity as I can still pick it up the next day.

11th March, 2013

dvdlpznyc's avatar

Cedarwood & Honey, Tobacco & Sandalwood, Musk & Civet, Leather & Oud... In that order... I bought this for the Oud, because I love Oud, and I am also rather fond of Leather, but I'm still very much satisfied... I repeat, although "Leather" and "Oud" are basically an afterthought, I am still satisfied... It starts out a bit sweet and generic for my taste, but it's VERY attractive... As the times progress, the fragrance continually develops, almost exponentially... The beeswax dissipates, the tobacco decreases, but the Civet & Musk constantly pop... Throughout, on my skin, the Cedar-wood and Sandalwood are ubiquitous... The whole process is gratefully complex and variegated and really satisfying.

30th January, 2013 (Last Edited: 22 February, 2013)

Explorador's avatar

Extremely bold, sexy or, plainly sexual. It smells good and is well blended, but it is so sexual that it is quite uncomfortable to wear

12 January, 2013

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Christian Dior Leather Oud
    Is this a Leather scent or is it an Oud scent? It is definitely a bold masculine alpha male type fragrance that is very leathery. It opens with a hot spice peppery blend that leads into a cumin centered incense of considerable presence. The hot, bold and sweet spices immediately lead into a big leather chunk that pretty much overpowers any oud that might be here so I think it is mostly a leather fragrance - it is named well. Oud coupled with anything warm and spicey usually ends up smelling like leather and this fragrance is a very bold leather. It is slightly sweet which is a good thing because the boldness of the leather oud might explode without a little sweetness to calm things down a bit. Compared to many of the other bold leather /oud scents out there, this one is very well put together and very enjoyable to wear. rating 4.25 / 5.

05 December, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

You get exactly what is says on the bottle...Leather and Oud. The ingredients smell very natural. This one reminds me a lot of Tuscan Leather. This one has a rough stench to it. Unfortunately, this one is not for me.

I give it a neutral because of the quality of the fragrance.

29 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2014)

odysseusm's avatar

This is a very well designed scent. I say that because I don't usually care for leather scents, and oud is an acquired taste which I still grapple with. But I like this, and here's why.
    This starts with comforting, warm spices. The leather is attractive, and the oud is distinctive but not eccentric. The overall effect is very masculine, confident, and suave. The woods are very well done, realistically woody but not just a lumbershop, something more complex.
    Everything is in perfect, complimentary proportion.
    The early drydown is smoky, powdery and a bit sweet.
    The later drydown gets more substantial and sweeter. Thus, I'd say go easy on it until you find the amount which suits you throughout the day.
    Leather/oud fans need to check this out -- and even those on the fence should give it a try.

27 November, 2012

Darvant's avatar

Another challenging aoudh fragrance for us. An incredibly sombre, complex and animalic aoud/leather/patchouli with a sort of comforting velvety agreeable background (kind of plummy/gassy in the effect because of the interaction between amber, spices and may be some secret fruity note) and some resinous/aromatic traits. I agree with Alfarom, nothing than a medicinal/sulphureous or bitter/sweet brown sugar effect is exuded out by the oudwood in here, which is rather intensely leathery (a velvety/smoky leather), refined, clean, smooth and woody with aromatic traits and with a final soothing bed of animalic and waxy notes, not without a touch of amber and honey. The darkness is extreme till the end (kaleidoscopic but never lamellar) on the side of the seasoned/smoky leather effect while the woodiness fades with the time and an ambery/honeyed cloud provides encompassing you with its supreme roundedness. The interaction of aoud, leather, honey, labdanum and beeswax produces a sort of cushiony and polite vibe which also exudes a certain dose of masculine resinous woodsy (birch/labdanum) background and an inviting waxy/ honeyed dissonance in the aftertaste. Powerful and charismatic with a woodsy/animalic virile (vetiver) spark in the depth.

12 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 08 January, 2013)

Possum-Pie's avatar

Starts with a smokey leather. very complex. Unfortunately, this doesn't last long, the rest of the life of the fragrance is soapy leather, which does smell good also, I just wish the smokiness hung around longer. Good longevity and projection. a Manly scent.

10th September, 2012

cwill's avatar

This one is extremely interesting and intriguing. I do love it. I did however give it a 4 out of 5 stars, simply for the fact that I do feel the civet needs to be toned down. Other than that, the longevity is excellent and it's a beautiful fragrance.

16 July, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar

This is a fantastic fragrance for a manly man who is sick of all the pretty flowery unisex scents.lol

This opens with a smooth smoky saddle leather with tobacco. It reminds me of the scent from imperial leather soap but intensified and with a symphony of notes.

As time goes by the civet kicks in and gives the scent a dark muskyness within the smoky woody smooth saddle leather. This sweetens with honey to make the whole composition smell just great.

Now their are no jagged edges within this scent accord as everything is blended to perfection. The oud in this smells like smoky burning wood and the leather is more of a light supple saddle leather. Mixed together with the honey and civet gives you a smoky leathery dark sweet musky scent.

A great fragrance from Dior and one that has really impressed me. Wonderful!

07 June, 2012

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

A monster in a bottle!!! Weird.

I really can smell the quality of the raw materials... Awesome... I respect that!!!
    Unfortunately... it´s not for me!!!

I bought a huge bottle (blind buy) that came with a miniature sample... I Gave the big one away... I´ll keep the tiny one in my wardrobe, who knows... Maybe when I get older... or not.

27 May, 2012

surge's avatar

Totally not what I was expecting from the name...but a treasure nonetheless!
    The leather is subtle and smoky, not disgusting and pungent like Tuscan Leather.
    The Oud leads you into a dark doorway of a castle.
    This is a very smoky scent...I love it. Dark, complex, unique.
    I would say that this is without a doubt the most "masculine" fragrance I have ever smelled.
    AND -- like a quality leather based fragrance, this one will outlast a shower; sometimes even TWO showers.
    Get it? Two showers and it's still there! Use sparingly...
    So what so I get from it...
    At first sniff it reminded me of this tobacconist shop here...they have a smoking area where people can sit back on their really nice antique leather couches and chairs and smoke cigars and watch tv, etc. I went in to buy a pack of Nat Sherman cigarettes one day and the smell of Leather Oud instantly took me back to that shop. So we've got mainly pipe tobacco, smoke, and leather in the top, and then the Oud \ Woody undertones come out and sneak up on you. The leather is very, very well done. I don't normally like leather based scents but I love this. Now...will the ladies like this one? Probably not...I would say that definitely do NOT blind buy this and if you like it, try wearing only one or two sprays and that's it.

07 April, 2012

Dernier_Cri's avatar

I have tried my best to establish a relationship between myself and Leather Oud built on mutual respect , but I can see now that it is never going to happen. L.O. refuses to change to please me, and I am unwilling to accept it on it's own terms. I go through my samples always giving it one more chance. Am I ever NOT disappointed? No. Never.
    How does something that smells this good at the start turn into such a stinker in such a short time? When first applied Leather Oud is as pretty as can be, a perfect balance of amber, leather, clove and oud and just a hint of smokiness. The animalic element is at bay. The oud is not a strong one. I feel like Dior was afraid of putting in too much, when putting in a bit more might have made it more interesting. Leather Oud strikes me as more of an ambery vetiver fragrance than of one built around oud. The beautiful phase of Leather Oud's life is depressingly short (like my own I might add). An hour in the civet begins to emerge from whatever shadow it was lurking in, driving out all that is good and decent and beautiful. By hour two it's over. The desolation of scorched earth. The reign of the dreaded Civet at hand.
    Leather Oud disappoints so much because of what it very briefly once was and because of what it could have been. You could carry the Leather Oud bottle in you back pocket, I suppose. To freshen up as needed. That is a solution.

01st April, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 June, 2012)

Akahina's avatar

Bought this blind! And I love it. I get more leather out of this than any fragrance I have tried (there must be other leather scents with more, I have not tried many.) And the oud is apparent but not terribly strong here for me but well blended with the leather and other woody notes. This one lasts a very long time and it seems that the projection is very nice. There is a sweetness to this rich smelling scent but not too sweet, the leather and oud complement each other so well and tames down the sweetness that lies in the background. I tend to think I do smell a touch of civit in here, something animalic lies deep in this fragrance. Very well blended and warm, inviting and in my top five. Very different from anything in my collection and a worthwhile blind buy for me.

Interestingly, for a fragrance that is so "challenging", I always get complements when I wear this one.

31st March, 2012

Samarkand's avatar

This definitely smells masculine, but it's almost too woody; to me, it smells like a campfire that just started, with the wood burning off its oils.

I actually layered this with Amouage Memoir Men--1 spray each--and it smelled slightly better, but I can't do this scent on its own. I acknowledge that it doesn't go with my skin type. The scent itself is very warm/woody.

12 March, 2012

rttoronto's avatar

Beautiful, classy warm scent. I think Dior pyramid is present somewhere because it does smell Diorish to me. I do think this should have been named Leather Oud Musk though, since the civet note is as dominate as the leather and oud notes, perhaps even more dominate than the oud. The civet in this case is a natural smelling civet and remains present throughout the life of the scent. If you like musky scents along the lines of Muscs Kublai Khan, be sure to check this out. Expensive but worth it, classy and well bred.

01st March, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 May, 2014)