Reviews of Leather Oud by Christian Dior

This is a big, deep, dark, spicy beast, and I rather like it! It’s a good bit spicier than what I’m used to wearing, but I’ve really enjoyed the way it has evolved. Straight up I got a big hit of the patchouli, and as the morning progressed, I got just the tiniest touch of sweetness – not sure where that came from, as there’s nothing particularly sweet in this. Maybe it’s the way it reacts with my skin chemistry, but it works. The leather is right there, but it’s a smoky leather – kind of like what you’d expect a big leather Chesterfield would smell like, after it’s spent its life in a classy gentleman’s club, absorbing years and years and years of aftershave and cigar smoke. Underneath that is a very slight rank note, which I’m guessing is the civet, with a dusty wood overtone. It’s one of those scents that smells really good on your clothes – I only put on the tiniest of sprays this morning, and my dress smells fantastic. This is probably not one I would reach for a lot of the time, but I do like the way it smells, and I’ve definitely enjoyed sampling it – (and thanks again purecaramel for the sample!). Lasting power is great - 11 hours and still there, though much closer to the skin now. I’m curious to see how it would work layered with something lighter and less spicy – Eu D’Hermes perhaps? Yes? No?
08th September, 2016
Dior Leather Oud is fantastic. The leather part is a dirtier leather than you'd find in TF Tuscan Leather or ADP Leather. It's definitely not the hyper-clean powdery version found in Dior's Cuir Cannage either.

At first, I thought this was an old-man fragrance. Now I thoroughly enjoy it from start to finish, which is a very long time I should add.

I'd say the only downside is being forced to buy a monstrous bottle. I'm sure a 1oz bottle would be quite affordable, but unfortunately they don't make one.

8/10 due to cost and the old-man style
11th August, 2016
Christian Dior's Leather Oud of the Collection Privee is certainly dead-on in its name, as it really is mainly a mix of leather and oud, and so very animalic, dirty, and masculine, as you might expect.

The oud is very wet, damp, and woodsy, not dry and desert-like, and that's an evocation perhaps not directly related to the oud itself but the scent overall. The leather is a dirty leather, not smooth at all like the Coach Leatherware collection but rather the smack to the face that one gets in, say, Tuscan Leather. As far as other notes, the birch factors in for me, kind of a darker charred woody/boozy accord that adds some color and alternate to the extremely animalic eponymous notes.

As far as evolution, I don't find the opening so overwhelming (or even offensive), and I don't find that the dry down softens it all that much.

The elephant in the room is the note of civet, which I imagine is synthetic given that the fragrance is contemporary enough, and this civet

I can easily see how Leather Oud is polarizing (as corroborated by the voting here), as one is either a fan of animalistic scents or not. Similarly, it's a very strong performer, as one might expect that there's no doing this halfway---that in order to realize this fragrance fully, it has to be a bit of a bomb, and that much is achieved here for sure. A bit too animalic for my taste but it's really a tremendous achievement as far as an animalic scent.

7 out of 10
02nd August, 2016

Initially I could not believe this fragrance, I mean it seemed at the top of the raunchy "night soil" heap. Then I wore it for several days and fell in lust. It is almost a modern day original Kouros (though not as good overall).

I think this creation is a throw back to the times when perfumers supplied a little funk with the fantasy, A small portion of poison and a large dose of the antidote, both from the same bottle. It reminds me of Kouros and how I initially thought it was rubbish although now I totally love it.

Like Kouros this is bottled up "Kavorka"!

Funk it up a little, live.

07th July, 2016
Seemingly simple blend of well-worn horse tack type leather (ala Aoud Cuir d'Arabie), oud and honey.

Its pungent sweetness can prove irksome with more than but a couple sprays, which is quite sufficient for my taste.

Afterthoughts:
- unsurpassed, into-the-next-day-type longevity, making it ideal for road trips when showers cannot be taken for granted.
05th July, 2016 (last edited: 12th September, 2016)
Dior Leather Oud smells like an experimental fragrance. The opening ruined it for me.
06th June, 2016
I remember reading Luca Turin saying that Dior Privée fragrances are very well blended, if not that adventurous. and on that (but not much else), i agree with him. like the fragrance or not, they are perhaps THE most well-blended fragrances on the market. impossibly smooth and well mannered. this is their trademark.

that said, it's easy to blend tuberose and ylang-ylang (New Look 1947). it's much harder to blend leather and oud into something harmonious yet also true to those two ingredients. Demachy's trick here of taking two of the most cantankerous notes and marrying them into something beautiful is quite an accomplishment. Leather Oud should be at the top of the list for lovers of both leather, and oud.

It's a soft leather - not as sweet as Tom Ford's White Suede, but in the same ballpark. I happen to adore White Suede, so this is a great place to start. This is the luxuriously soft recliner in which a slightly barn-yard Malaysian oud (i think... but it's definitely not Laotian again, thank god) gets to sit and relax.

Small hints of clove and what smells like dried apricot make Leather Oud feel very full and opulent. This pairs (layers) very well with Dior's Oud Elixir Precieux. It didn't take more than a couple of sample wearings before i put an order in for one of their magnificent 8.4oz bottles with their high-output sprayers.

overall an excellent fragrance. 9/10
12th May, 2016 (last edited: 15th May, 2016)
Beautiful in all the ways people say but for me there is also a cigarette smoke/ashtray smell that just doesn't quite lift it to a FB.
01st November, 2015
The butch and wayward member of Dior’s exclusive Collection Privée, Leather Oud is a full-force demonstration of its two eponymous notes mixed up with a skanky selection from the dirty drawers of perfumery: lots of civet, birch tar, and beeswax. To smooth out this veritable pile of dirtiness, the central notes are grounded in a very complex mix of spices (mainly cardamom), some flowers, and just about every oriental mainstay you can think of: amber, vetiver, sandalwood, patchouli, you name it. It is a lot to take in, and clearly this fragrance could easily have been just an obnoxious disaster. Luckily, however, Leather Oud has enough Dior finesse and luxurious finish to avoid going into total overdrive, and especially the opening works wonderfully, playfully and elegantly suggesting the oncoming full richness of this animalic brew. Nevertheless, once the intriguing opening has passed, Leather Oud presents little further development; the main motif just hammers on and on for hours on end with a tedious take-it-or-leave-it attitude. Although I am generally drawn to animalic and skanky scents and appreciate the intention, Leather Oud does not really click with me. Its lack of development and new facets to discover eventually bores and annoys me, and I find it no match for better fragrances like Muscs Koublaï Khän, Absolue pour le Soir, or Musc Ravageur to make you smell really good in that bad way.
04th August, 2015
Starts off with mostly a raw, unrefined oud and a chemical leather like leather that has just come out of being cured, with all the processing chemicals still on. That said, it's not a terrible start. The middle is mostly oud and barnyard. The dry down is pure barnyard. It's guaranteed to plant your mind firmly among a thousand goats.

I think that this fragrance is about scent memory. If you happened to have smelled a barn and you have the association in your mind between civet and unpleasant things, you will probably dislike this fragrance like most people do. I think that people who like this fragrance probably were never exposed to a barnyard smell and therefore are lacking the aforementioned mental association. They're lucky because they would love LO, but perhaps not so lucky because people around them won't.

Mark my words: this so-called fragrance will not last before it's discontinued. If you like it, buy it now while it's here. It can be useful to wear with a cowboy costume, or to pull a prank on somebody, but certainly not to smell or feel good.
27th March, 2015
Oud is one of my favorite notes in perfumery - and this fragrance did not disappoint.

Maybe it's just my skin chemistry, but I don't get anything fecal from this fragrance like some claim. Instead, I get a warm, cozy oud opening with an amazing woody oriental drydown - the latter being enhanced, not dominated, by the civet and featuring many other notes. Longevity is very good, while projection is middling (but I don't want people to smell my fragrance of the day from 100 feet away). And it gets a lot of compliments.

At the price of $210 USD for 4.2 oz or $330 USD for 8.4 oz, this is also one of the best bargains in the niche market on a price-per-ounce basis. Thumbs up!
26th March, 2015
This is so sensuous. I tried Musc de Koublai Khan, and it is amazing. But now I think that Leather Oud is even more sensual. In the initial phases, Leather Oud is more sophisticated than MKK, but in the dry down, it becomes animalic and sexy. I think the difference is that MKK is more masculine, whereas, Leather Oud is more sophisticated. Both are sexy. Leather Oud reminds me of a cabin that stood by a creek up in the mountains where I used to work in the summers tending beehives and various other chores when I was a kid. The smell of the woods, the fire, the animals, the flowers, the fresh air- it's beautiful.
23rd March, 2015 (last edited: 30th March, 2015)
One of Dior's great manly masterpieces, the unapologetically skanky and irrepressibly masculine Jules, is now increasingly difficult to locate and increasingly expensive to acquire. No worry - Leather Oud shares many of the same characteristics, in particular the civet and resins at the bottom, and a urinous honey note that had me wracking my mind until I realised that this stuff is Jules, with an Oud dosage rivalled only by a small number of Pierre Montale creations.

Animalic, musky and borderline urinous coupled with a vat of Oud may make this a not-for-everyone juice, but a fan of fragrances on the Jules/Yatagan/Lauder for Men axis will surely find it irresistable.
05th January, 2015 (last edited: 15th February, 2015)

This has gone straight to my must-have list. Wonderful stuff - sensual, silky, dirty, warm. If you're reading this, Mazzolari Lui, well, I still love you but this right here is how you do animalics while still retaining a modicum of balance and class. Everything here is so well-blended and smooth, that even though it is quite dirty, it manages to retain a round, sensual feel from top to bottom. Nothing sticks out too far - not the civet, not the leather, not the oud. The labdanum and musk combine to create this plush, pillowy base that feels like a cozy, toffee-ed amber.

I feel amazing when I wear my sample of this. It melds with my skin, smells sexy, and lasts past several showers to form this musky, skanky base on which to layer other perfumes. But when I am not wearing it, I find myself craving it. Keep in mind that I am a woman - I see that not many women wear this, based on the overwhelming number of reviews on here written by men. But to me, it is as cozily, warmly dirty and comforting as my other great skanky loves, Muscs Khoublai Khan, Mazzolari Lui, and L'Ombre Fauve.

It opens up on an almost fruity note of raw leather and incense, with a feel not a million miles away from the animalic leather opening of Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange. It is joined almost immediately by smokey woods, of which oud is one precious component but not actually the stand-out. The oud here is not the sharp, medicinal stuff you get in Black Aoud (although I like that as well), rather it is the smooth, smokey smell of the wood itself. It nestles snuggly in the bosom of the other woods - sandalwood, quite a lot of cedar - and is folded in there so neatly that it doesn't dominate proceedings. The oud is honeyed, lending a magnificent sweetness to the composition.

The civet and leather together could well have been a disaster. In fact, when I read the notes for this, I thought bleuch, a raw, macho tannery leather and the high-pitched, pissy whine of civet, good Lord, that will probably be something to endure. But the civet is very well-behaved in this composition, and the leather generally takes a back seat to the smoldering, smoky precious woods. It is dirty, yes, no two ways about it. But it is not an unpleasant type of dirtiness, just - what is it that Tania Sanchez wrote about Muscs Khoublai Khan - the sleepy warmth of two beneath a quilt. I was delighted with the round, silky quality of the musk as it dried down, shedding as it did any civety sharpness, and melding harmoniously with the leathery, ambery labdanum. The whole fragrance struck me as very deep, rounded, and nuanced, with a good dollop of filthiness snuggling in an elegant structure. Two very big thumbs up, and for me, it is a definite purchase in the future.

Oh and just to make sure I wasn't skiving out the husband too much, I asked him to smell me and he said, "Christ, I'm drunk," which I am interpreting as it at least doesn't smell too manly or disgusting to his nose (I do a lot of "interpreting" what my husband means when he is drunk). This reaction was at least a hundred times better than when he was asked to smell Tribute attar and Muscs Khoublai Khan up close, so I am taking that as a sort of go-ahead with regards to a purchase.
18th August, 2014
jumpfrog Show all reviews
A really great one, I love it. I found that it started off very honey like, in fact it was a little sickly for a while. It is a little sharp at first too, perhaps this is the civet making its entrance. The dry down is very nice and, despite what other reviewers have said, I found it rather restrained. I did get a bit of barnyard in there later on in the day, but nothing fecal. Leather and oud are very well balanced, this is so well crafted. Longevity on my skin - at least 8 hours. I am definitely going to buy this when I finish my M7!
05th August, 2014
Leather Oud opens with a dark and dry accord of woody oud – quite different from usual ouds, at least the Western ones (Montale etc.), really "woody" and smoky in fact, not rubbery and not synthetic – enhanced by more aromatic and softer woods (I feel sandalwood above all), an austere leather accord - a bit plastic but good, dark, "roasted" - well sweetened by beeswax and dry honey, tonka, a slight sugary note on the base, a tasty aroma of coffee and a subtle floral breeze all over. Smoky, gloomy, dry, subtly sweet yet subtly musky at the same time, really elegant and sophisticatedly modern, with a decent leather accord – sharp and restrained, but well executed, and with a compelling tanning richness showing class and substance. Effectively, despite being a designer, it smells more like a good example of a niche leather-woody scent. Frankly I don't smell much civet in here, and overall much animalic stuff at all; rather than civet, just a (sheer) synthetic reconstruction of this note, which creates a light feel of "animalicness" that however does not even compare to real animalic notes that can be largely found is several vintage chypres and fougères – to which, by the way, Leather Oud seems taking part of its inspiration from (while sniffing this one I though of Ferré, Krizia, Balenciaga...). Nothing amazing, but good - insanely priced good.

7,5-8/10
02nd August, 2014
I was really excited about this fragrance.
It's not available in my country. so one of my friends did me a favor and send me a sample of this juice.
By attending to the name and also all these positive reviews, I was expecting something very dark, smoky and woody which is completely up my alley!
But what a big surprise! what the hell?!
In the opening I get a strong woodsy notes (more cedar than oud)followed by some leather and a musky scent in the background.
The leather note is not smoky or dark! it's light, hiding behind the woodsy notes!
There are floral notes in the background too. maybe rose or saffron but definitely it's there.
In the mid the woodsy and floral notes settled down and that musky scent become stronger.
In the base I get slightly sweet and really strong musky scent with animalistic feeling.
It's masculine for sure but it's not a heavy or dark scent in my opinion! not at all.
The strong woodsy opening fade away really quick to a animalistic musky scent and you will have this scent all the way through!
Both projection and longevity is good but it's not a monster!
Quality juice and smell good but not worth the money in my opinion! It was on my buy list but not anymore!
01st June, 2014
Starts out smoky, then becomes very complex with stinky civet, oud and honey. Each component pops to the surface throughout the day as it softens slowly into a big leather pillow. I find it an extraordinarily comfortable, elegant,masculine fragrance. Thumbs up, definitely!

October 2015
Sampled this (reformulation)today. It retains the perfumed character of the original, however has lost the brutality of the first. The smokiness has been toned down, it carries less of the assault of civet.I would say that it has become closer to unisex in flavour. The longevity has taken a small hit, however the Demachy magic of French High Perfumery and it's soft,luxurious, cushiony, drydown remains intact.
31st March, 2014 (last edited: 20th October, 2015)
solid sillage and duration, a must for every animalic / leather freak, the oud wood note is incredible!

06th March, 2014
This is an amazing scent. I spray on in the morning and its still going strong by dinner.
23rd February, 2014
I have a Love/Hate relationship with this scent.

Upon my first inital spray, it reeked of piss and when I had thought those notes had subsided, I'd inch my nose towards the pulse area and the barnyard scent would come back and kick my nostrils. I went back again two days later and its as if the piss smell didn't exist. It was smokey, I picked up the nice oud notes, and I thought I understood the scent. On my third and last attempt to test this scent at home before venturing outside my home, that fecal note came back. When it wants to be tamed, this fragrance is amazing, but make no mistake, it's a monster with a mind of its own. I want to like this so badly. But I don't think Leather Oud and I can get along.
25th January, 2014
The "big swinging d*ck" of Dior's Collection Couturier

OVERALL RATING: * * * *

The "big, swinging d*ck" of Dior's Collection Coutourier.

Leather Oud is not what you would expect from Dior, or from a niche oud fragrance. The oud note here lacks the synthetic, medicinal quality of a Montale. It is smokier, as if the wood itself is burning. This is by design.

The leather opens with a slightly fecal note, but it is far from offensive, at least to my nose. There is also a floral element in the background, labdanum I believe.

The overall effect is marvelous--the individual notes combine effortless to suggest a rich, earthy, dirty, sensual luxury. It is the fragrance of a man who has accomplished so much and is so secure in himself that he needn't worry about what others think. Others will adapt themselves to *him.*

A note about civet: this is without a doubt my least favorite note in perfumery. I detest it. In fact, the civet in Kouros is almost enough to make me gag.

My admiration for Leather Oud is all the more surprising, then, because it apparently contains a rather large dose of civet. Personally, I do not detect it at all, and this is a good thing

Pros: luxurious, earthy, unique
Cons: clearly not for everyone; an alpha male scent"

26th August, 2013
A hugely impressive dirt bomb from a line that could benefit from some dirtying up.

This is provocative in the best possible ways as the civet does indeed hit you strong, but it's well situated against the leather, cardamom, and the oud. Given those notes alone, you know this going to be a stinky scent—and definitely not one for the faint of heart.
Personally, I find that the civet attenuates quickly, and what remains is a rich, almost dusty animalic dirtiness that's carried beautifully by the supplementary leather. The whole composition is very dry, and the oud is your typical docile synthetic—which, in this case, works well in the scent in that it offers consistency. There's cardamom here that declares a slight suggestion of BO as well, which, again, works complimentarily. Given the difficulty of these ingredients, the scent is brilliantly rendered in that initiates a push-pull dynamic between beautiful and fetid.
The overall effect creates an engaging aesthetic headspace which, for my nose, recalls old hotel rooms, smoke-infused '70s furniture, and clothes that have been packed away in a dusty basement for years. Clearly, these are not spaces everyone would be drawn to—nor is Leather Oud going to win any fans who favor clean aquatics, or even the over-blown opulence of the rest of couture line. But the scent settles well on the skin, and the wood notes slide onto the scene carrying subtle hints of honey that don't detract from the overall dryness. Once the elements all settle, the result is jaw-dropping drydown of woody, rich musk.
Personally, I find Dior's couture blends to be very underwhelming, but this is the clear standout in relation to invention and ingenuity. If you like Muscs Koublai Khan, Absolue pour le Soir, or some of the more fecund scents out there, you'll appreciate how effectively this plays with ordinarily volatile notes, and does so masterfully. However, if you lean more toward "nice" scents that smell clean, fresh, or sweet, I'd keep your distance from this one. It's an extraordinarily well done, impressively assembled fragrance that will challenge the wearer beautifully.

Pros: Engenders an incredible aesthetic headspace that's as sinister as it is appealing.
Cons: Challenging, but in the best possible way.

23rd June, 2013
Not for everybody

I love love this. It is strong, deep dark and just preciously natural. I love the fact that all my fav notes are present (civet, leather, etc) and in doses I prefer: heavy. This is certainly not for everyone, especially if your nose has not developed.

Reminds me of the first time I smelled Kouros, I thought, what in the world? this stinks!!! Then I grew to love it. I get the same effect here: initial blast is like oh my God, then I could not stop sniffing. I would not wear this on a crowded bus or when you will be in close proximity to people who do not get fragrances in general. They might think you smell awful. That said, I would apply this to bare skin in moderation. Then let your body's natural chemistry do its thing.

Pros: True to its name
Cons: to me, none.

21st June, 2013
blueyezz Show all reviews
Disappointing

Maybe its just me but I can't help feeling that this is like draft that somehow managed to slip past the price-justification Monitor. Should be all the things I like, smoke, wood, leather, oud, but somehow it just goes flat as a pancake on me. Where's the development, complexity or in the absence of this, obviously good quality ingredients? This smells like I've rubbed a bar of Imperial Leather soap on my wrist. While I've never been a fan of monster sillage (I'm looking at you, Kouros) projection is non-existant to the point of pointless.

Others clearly love it, so maybe it it just me.

Pros: Nice bottle
Cons: Just not up to scratch

03rd June, 2013
Complicatted

This fragrance opens with a bang that a lot of people aren't going to like. I myself don't care highly for the opening. It's harsh, it's animalic, and it's got some STANK but me-oh-my does it mellow out. It starts off as basically straight up a mix of civet, leather and oud with the civet dominating. I usually hate civet but in this case I give it a pass as tolerable. The leather is a dirty leather and the oud plays third fiddle to the two aforementioned notes

The drydown, which comes a mear 2-5 minutes after application, has some of the stank lingering from the opening, but for the most part the civet fades into the background. It's still there but it's nowhere near as noticeable. The leather and oud dominate now and some of the sweet notes, particularly the honey come out. The civet is almost not noticeable at this point unless you stick your nose right up against the skin. Now it really is a mix of leather and oud with some sweet spices and some animalic stank in the background. It's hyper-masculine, a type of scent I'd imagine many women won't love. For me this is something I own for my own personal enjoyment and nobody else's. I've only worn it at home so far, but that may change when the climate cools off.

In any case, I'd recommend going easy on the trigger here. One spray under the clothes is all I'd ever consider if I was going out in public, it's quite pungent and the longevity is absurd. Overall it's an amazing scent that's a bit hard to find the time to wear. But if you love it like I do, wear it for yourself.

30th May, 2013
This is not a scent for the faint hearted. I can see why some people like it as the quality is there but for me the civet note is a bit too much. It's definitely a scent for cool or cold weather but I'm struggling to think of an occasion when it could be worn as its quite confronting and has beast mode longevity. One spray and you are in a leather oud scent cloud whether you like it or not for a good 12 - 14 hours, I've smelt it on my clothes weeks after wearing.
25th April, 2013
This one is a winner for me. I ordered a sample from the Perfumed Court and now I'm going back for more! The civat is quite pronounced on my skin and I'm fascinated by it. It's definitely not for the faint of heart. Excellent longevity as I can still pick it up the next day.
11th March, 2013
Cedarwood & Honey, Tobacco & Sandalwood, Musk & Civet, Leather & Oud... In that order... I bought this for the Oud, because I love Oud, and I am also rather fond of Leather, but I'm still very much satisfied... I repeat, although "Leather" and "Oud" are basically an afterthought, I am still satisfied... It starts out a bit sweet and generic for my taste, but it's VERY attractive... As the times progress, the fragrance continually develops, almost exponentially... The beeswax dissipates, the tobacco decreases, but the Civet & Musk constantly pop... Throughout, on my skin, the Cedar-wood and Sandalwood are ubiquitous... The whole process is gratefully complex and variegated and really satisfying.
30th January, 2013 (last edited: 22nd February, 2013)
Extremely bold, sexy or, plainly sexual. It smells good and is well blended, but it is so sexual that it is quite uncomfortable to wear
12th January, 2013