Reviews

Reviews of Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne by Alt-Innsbruck

As noted by Harvitz81 and ad_scott, the driving force behind this cologne is the flowers of the Nicotiana tabacum plant, not its cured leaves. I experience the menthol in this as a powerful enhancer/dispersant (too powerful for my taste) of the tobacco flower note. It would be interesting to know whether whoever had that idea in 1953 was thinking out of the box or this was a common practice in men's fragrance compounding at the time. I'm wondering whether the tobacco leaf note that folks are picking up may be the dried hay odor of the coumarin (tonka bean isolate) that's listed among the ingredients.
20th June, 2015
Very nostalgic , warm , sweet and soft scent. There is menthol and strong tobacco. Longevity is poor : only 1-2 hour for me. I can smell some similarities with Guerlain Vetiver, maybe it is the soft sweetness and tobacco.
01st June, 2015
As an aftershave cologne combo, this can't be beat. I'm not even sure there's any others in the same category as this. It's really an excellent menthol/alcohol blast aftershave that is akin to Osage Rub, or some other highly mentholated aftershaves out there, it's a BLAST. Absolutely perfect for summer shaves. The scent is kind of powdery floral. Semi-sweet. I really haven't ever smelled anything like it. I hesitate to say this, but there's something that reminds me of my grade school box of school supplies here. Maybe an eraser......I'm not sure....but something is there that reminds me of that. It's a good smell though. Not the greatest and its pretty linear, but that aftershave blast that comes with it makes this easily one of the best options out there. Try it. The entire Wet Shaving community swears by this stuff for a reason.
03rd July, 2014

I guess I’m the first to throw a little negativity on the subject of Alt-Innsbruck – a small bit of negativity. But first, I’ll dive into the subject of whether or not Alt-Innsbruck makes use of tobacco. I have the eau de cologne, not the after shave. Every source I’ve found says that there is tobacco – “the finest Virginia tobacco” – is what all the sources say. I have no doubt of the fact that the tobacco is there, and that’s my problem with the scent. Not the tobacco itself, but the combination of tobacco and menthol. I simply don’t care for the two notes in combination, and I realize how ridiculous it sounds because I, myself have smoked menthol cigarettes at times way back when I smoked. I never minded the combination then… but in this cologne, the combination causes me some problems. The problem I have with Alt-Innsbruck is the menthol. It does not come across to me as aromatically sharp as menthol usually does - the accord comes across as creamy and gooey. I get a menthol that overpowers and conflicts with the excellent tobacco note. Strong sillage and quite lasting, but not a favorite of mine.
01st March, 2014
ad_scott Show all reviews
I am a wet shaver and AI is the best aftershave I've ever used. Primarily it has an amazing cooling effect from its menthol content which gradually calms and fades to a floral tobacco scent. To be more specific its scent is very close to a Cuban tobacco field. It also holds a slight dose of natural Nicotiana Tabacum. It's a unique Austrian splash and great value for money! It has a barbershop vibe and I'd say it best suits the cigar and pipe smoker.
24th March, 2013 (last edited: 25th March, 2013)
Aftershave perfection. If only it a bit more projection and longevity. So unique.
19th March, 2012
I use this as an aftershave more than a cologne, but longevity is typical of an EdC and can last for hours. I shave at night, so it never clashes with my cologne for the day. As noted by bokaba, on application there is a strong menthol blast that is probably the best cooling effect I've had from any menthol based aftershave. The scent to me is intoxicating. I get absolutely no tobacco from this. The scent is that of tobacco flower and is much sweeter and powdery. Don't use this thinking you are getting a tobacco scent ala pipe or cigar tobacco. Really basic stuff made from high quality ingredients. Can definitely be used as an EdC in the morning and will last for several hours. I've used a ton of aftershaves though and this one ranks number 1 easily. The several hours before bed are filled with this blissful scent often. This is also very much a love it or hate it scent, and for me it is one I love greatly.
15th September, 2011
bokaba Show all reviews
Alt-Innsbruck is a classic 1950s Austrian gentleman's barbershop scent with all the trimmings. First, for the relative affordability, the quality of all natural ingredients is exquisite and holds it weight with some top contenders like Creed's Vintage Tabarome though the former is deeper, more complex, and more regal. Alt-Innsbruck is a simple concoction of water, alcohol, tobacco, and menthol. If one uses it as an aftershave, the menthol blast in the opening is quite apparent. Then the scent dries to a nice sweet, cigar, tobacco scent far removed from the vapors of the smoke. Very good and now available from select vendors in North America. Buy it before it disappears. Things this good never last. True Austrian quality from 1953.
07th May, 2011