Positive Reviews of Les Nombres d'Or - Vanille by Mona di Orio

Find out more about Les Nombres d'Or - Vanille by Mona di Orio in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

dlane1953's avatar

An elegant and rich woody oriental

First off, I have to point out, as others have, that this is not a classic vanilla fragrance. There's nothing gourmand about it, so if you like your vanilla "straight-up" and sweet then you might feel disappointed with this rendition. But if you're looking for something wonderfully rich, complex, and ever-changing, then you must sample Vanille.

The unfolding of the notes is not linear, with the exception of the opening. The opening is greenish and citric, very fresh and somewhat short-lived. The rum doesn't become apparent right away, but instead comes and goes throughout the wearing. I don't like rum in fragrances, but the note is lightly used here and never offensive. The woody notes come into play rather quickly, with a touch of sweetness in the background. At no one point do I say "AHA! Vanilla!" The vanilla is woven into the tapestry of the fragrance very nicely, but is not the star of this show. As the fragrance dries down, you get occasional whiffs of dry vanilla surrounded by the deeper notes of amber, musk, and leather. Although the basenotes suggest heaviness, they are sweetened by the addition of vetiver and Tonka bean, so the fragrance is never without a touch of sweetness.

I think it's an excellent unisex fragrance. I've been sampling during the hot, humid days of late summer here on the East Coast, and though some might think it too heavy for warm weather, I love it. I look forward to wearing when the weather cools off as well, since different facets will probably play out in cooler temps. Sillage is average, longevity over 16 hours. Highly recommended.

Pros: Complex, rich, not sweet like most vanilla fragrances
    Cons: none"

19 September, 2013

lottalotta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

This is so similar to Organza indecence to me, even after I compared them wrist to wrist. The Mona is slightly less sweet, but still the closest thing Ive ran across so far.

27 April, 2013

Incontinent's avatar

Mona di Orio's Vanille is an astoundingly artistic fragrance that really showcases what the art of perfumery can do. As far as dynamic dry-downs and the subtle in-and-outs of different notes and accords, it is absolutely on par with the Andy Tauers and L'Artisans.

The initial blast is a cool spice packet reminiscent of Serge Luten's Amber Sultan. The notable notes include cinnamon, pepper, amber, cloves, and sandalwood. This lasts for a short time and is followed by an amazingly delicate cigarette smoke accord- patchouli and wood. I swear there's jasmine in there- it smells a lot like Jasmine and Cigarettes by Etat Libre d'Orage. Phase three begins the smooth vanilla and tonka bean, and I confess that this is actually my least favorite part of the fragrance. It's a bit too simple, a bit too similar to cooking vanilla, and yet it's balanced enough by the other accords that I'm not put off all that much. It's a concentrated, dark, and boozy vanilla.

Les Nombres d'Or: Vanille is a showcase of fragrance as a work of art. It is as pleasant and easy to wear as it is easy to admire. It's a scent for the wearer, as opposed to one for an audience. 9/10

26 February, 2013

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

One of the greatest vanille based fragrances I've ever encountered. Salutes the note from earthy-rooty beginning to a flowering of smooth and warm flavor. Totally justifies the price since it smells great and quite strong. You can have the whole day in your aura with just 2 sprays, it stays and stays, what a performance.

25 February, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

Spicy vanilla/tonka. Not overly gourmand because the sandalwood and ylang ylang keep it dry. Don't expect a sweet food vanilla, it is more sophisticated than that.

30th October, 2012

alfarom's avatar

Personally I wouldn't classify this as a vanilla centered composition but more sort of a sweetish sandalwood fragrance. In this context Les Nombres d`Or Vanille is a well balanced woody composition that while being surely satisfying it's probably not among the most original fragrances around. Don't let this disencourage you, Vanille is an incredibly fine fragrance if you're up for a solid, not overly sweet, boisè.

It opens with a boozy accord of citruses and rum to quickly evolve into a sweeter tonka/vanilla middle phase where spices and amber provide some body. Sandalwood start remarking its presence to gradually take over during the moderately sweet, woody drydown supported by a slight musky quality and some vetiver. Nice progression, smooth evolution, great balance but, in the end, we've seen this iteration of the woody/vanilla too many times. I can't say I dont like it but, considering the price tag, this is something I won't get antious to purchase...

Downline: A nice vanilla for people who don't like straight forward vanillas.

18 April, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar

On application I'm getting a blast of orange and cloves with woods quickly arriving behind it. After a while I start to notice tonka bean with vetiver underpinning it.

It stays unsweetened for a good few hours and it's like your smelling the tonka bean directly but its giving you a slight hint of what is to come.

In the basenotes the vanilla and a touch of ambre come to the forefront and it starts to get sweeter but not too much.

This fragrance is complex and smells good but it is a unusual take on vanille. If you like your vanilla full on you may be underwhelmed and unsatisfied. Though if you find vanille to cloying and sickly then this is what you may be looking for.

A good complex vanille fragrance that is restrained but still a delight too smell.

24 March, 2012

Darvant's avatar

This is a complicated ambery boise'  with  an undeniable orangy-boozy and rooty soul and with a final leathery tone. The creamy and musky dust starts citrusy, herbal, slightly laundry and sweetly  alcoholic. Rum, spices and tasty fruits turn the scent out lush and exotic. Some hint of shadowy smokyness is present in the blend till the end that is yellow-green of balsams and musk, slightly floral and suede. Pleasant, averagely resinous and exotic. There is some "corporeal dirtiness" in the middle of the trip that makes the fragrance to be captivating.

23 February, 2012

glorious1's avatar

Very surprising scent. I ordered a decant unsniffed. I am not sorry. I put it on just a little while ago. I smell boozy, the clove, leather, amber and wood.
    Not at all just a vanilla scent. I believe I LOVE this!

09 February, 2012

Harvest Moon's avatar

England England

I don't normally like vanilla all that much, but I very juch love this one, particularly going into winter. I wouldn't wear it every day because it's on the heavy side, but sometimes I'm in the mood for this when I need some sofa time - think good book and chunky sweater. It's rather leathery and balsamy with none of the cloying vanillin sweetness encountered in other perfumes.
    Somebody mentioned boozy, never thought of that, but now that it's mentioned, a bit of that too.

19 October, 2011

drseid's avatar

Vanille was definitely different from what I expected... The top notes were just a hair boozy, but then the scent quickly transitions to a very dry vanilla bean heart with a hint of clove to support it. This is quite different from just about any vanilla based gourmand I can remember. I tend to not like vanilla based scents, but this dry vanilla bean heart really is sublime and can appeal to gourmand fans and haters alike, a rare feat indeed. It takes a bit of time to get used to, as it is dissimilar to what one initially expects, but it captivates by its individuality and clarity. Sandalwood dominates the base with even a hint of cinnamon, adding a nice support to the dry vanilla bean. It looks like I have found my reference vanilla scent. Projection and sillage are both average, but longevity is excellent. Vanille is my second favorite offering in the extremely strong Les Nombres d’Or lineup. This 4.5 out of 5 star offering is quite impressive, and easily worthy of full bottle purchase.

04 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 June, 2012)

Jermel's avatar

This is my most favorite vanilla scent so far. The best part is the dry down. The top notes of bitter orange and rum are super yummy. However, the top notes disappear very quickly revealing a luscious vanilla, vetiver, and amber scent. About 2 hours later, there is just a gorgeous vanilla scent left. I would sample from lucky scents first but I think it's the most sexy unisex vanilla on the market.

30th August, 2011

vilt's avatar

It starts very citrusy, fresh but gentle, warm - I sense this "warm" feeling in all Mona's perfumes. Then vanilla scent starts to appear, still with citrus scent - that' why so not as usual vanilla. It let's me imagine a couple - man and a woman, dressed all in white at their sea shore house. This smell is very light, positive, careless. But it's also luxurious. Nothing dramatic, nothing fatal or mystic about this smell - it's just like slowly and tender making love on the beach. Very slow, but you enjoy it.
    After a couple of hours it turns into something too sweet for me. You are just drowning in sweetness.
    After 7 hours it's a sweet cinnamon smell, though there is no such note mentioned. Sweetness is not overwhelming anymore, it's warm, calm, still sweet.
    It lasts long, just wished the opening and middle took more time :) Not my scent, I prefer perfume that has more mystery in it, but Vanilla is a very good perfume, luxurious and different. So if I was more of that couple I imagined on the beach I would definetly wear it.

Interesting note - when sprayed on my son - while vanilla was opening it also gave an interesting rusty metal smell on the skin. Nothing like that on me.

30th August, 2011