Reviews of Baiser Volé by Cartier

rbaker Show all reviews
A nondescript synthetic citrus note is about as dull and predictable as a scent can begin with. Then underlying green notes rise, followed by the emergence of the main player, a reasonable lily that a times gains in richness and depth and then is quite attractive. The base is as generic as the start.

I am getting soft sillage, but when I sampled the concentrated version the sillage was at least moderate and better than the Eau de Toilette that In sampled initially. The projection is all right, and the longevity is about four hours, but again the concentrée version lasted another hour.
Overall 2/5
09th August, 2015
The opening is green, slightly citrussy, with hints of shampoo and hairspray- as other reviewers have pointed out- a combination that could have put me immediately off and induced me to dismiss it as another generic mainstream offer. Fortunately, on skin in a warm day, the fragrance soon gets rid of this unexciting start and displays a fresh, spicy- clover mainly, not too heady lily note that gains structure and complexity as time passes. The heart of the fragrance is smooth, velvety, lightly creamy and softly threading towards a musky drydown where vanilla, woods and patchouli mingle harmoniously. The drydown shares, in a softer, whispered tone, some notes with a more recent Mathilde Laurent work, La Panthère- I personally love this stage in both fragrances very much, but here comes my only qualm about BV: its longevity is quite weak, after a couple of hours I can barely detect it.
Longevity issue aside, Baiser Volé is an elegant, masterfully composed and somewhat reassuring fragrance, versatile and perfectly unisex, in my opinion.
(This review is based on a sample of EdP. I see there are other concentrations that maybe prove more long lasting)
06th June, 2015
I tried this because I was hoping it was a lily I could like, but in spite of it's promising green notes and citrus, it was still strongly and unquestionably lily. Which is a note I just don't love. It always smells artificial in an airy, aquatic, sharp manner. It brings such a boatload of synthetic elements to a fragrance, that any supporting notes are rendered weak, ineffective... and artificial smelling.
I can tell this one has a nicely moderated personae, an easy wearability, so I hoped I might be able to accept it's somewhat hairsprayish personality, but I can't. Much too artificial on me.
17th May, 2015

I enjoy the scent of lily in perfume but not so much lily of the valley. I also own Lys Mediterranee and have tried Donna Karan's Gold and Lys Soleia.

Of all the above, I find Baiser Vole the easiest to wear. It's very adaptable - refreshing for summer daytime, fine for work environments, also very nice for informal parties or drinks in summer.

It opens with a scent that's quite reminiscent of clean shampoo, but it develops beautifully within ten minutes. What it perhaps lacks in intrigue or animalic depths is more than made up for by light charm and elegance. It has a green peppery edge, the lily is fairly crisp, not too clean, and there's a wisp of vanilla to lend a fluffy cloud-like aura. It feels to me as though it's floating around my head in delicate bubbles of clear, light sparkliness. Dearie me that sounds a bit air-headed, but Baiser Vole has that lovely slightly vegetable peppery green note too. It also has surprising longevity.

It's a perfume that will appeal to women of all ages who seek a contemporary fresh green floral with underlying elegance. I'm always reminded of a green house when wearing Baiser Vole. I can''t think of any other perfume that has this gentle yet clear quality, almost verging on aquatic. Matin d'Orage is vaguely similar, but still smells like a classic floral.

Though very pretty, Baiser Vole is really quite unique and quirky in its way.
12th February, 2015
This one is quiet enough that I missed out on its nuances for a long time - turns out the only way I could appreciate it when testing was to spritz in a department store then immediately go outside!

The first few times I wore it the weather was warm, and I experienced it mostly as a wonderful vintage face powder and milk chocolate drydown that lingers softly for hours and hours. It's an impressionistic and restrained milk chocolate, which is why I think it works. Chocolate notes usually smell cheap, though in coming at it kind of sideways, the illusion holds.

In cooler weather it's been a whole different thing - lily, and lily, and lily, for days. Initially I thought this was such an elegant and chaste scent, yet getting to know it better, I've noticed a very pronounced skank note - this lily's over-ripe, and we're getting some of the stale, murky water in the bottom of its vase. It's kind of off-putting, yet kind of sexy and dirty on skin, like the mysteries that lurk in some of the old Guerlains and Carons.

I appreciate the way it gives a nod to 1920s-30s sophisticated powdery glamour, yet is, by comparison, a streamlined modern scent. It seems just right that Cartier should acknowledge history and also exist in the present.

22nd December, 2014 (last edited: 04th January, 2015)
Salutation.

If i could describe it in one word it would be LOVELY!like a breath of fresh spring air.If you have ever picked a small bunch of lilly of the valley to bring indoors,you will want this scent around you always.BAISER VOLE is the kind of smell that can literally brighten your day just by wearing it.a perfectly balance blend of florals and green notes.it reminds me of an early spring morning or a cool summer evening when you get that hint of lilly of the valley floating in the breeze.It is also complements the natural scent of women.Green,Fragrant,Graceful, Refreshing,Quietly,but distinctly feminine and Softly Elegant.

A natural embodiment in the vivaciously fresh green notes combined with bright fruits(citruses))and the delicate feminine flowers(lily)).a lightly green base only hinted at the sensuality of this winning combination to wear when your active either working in the day time or night dancing.It surrounds you with a sophisticated bouquet.it makes you imagine of green fields and bloming flowers,shining and romantic walks with him when you want your grace,elegance and infinite elegance,impress him.BAISER VOLE is perfect for spring and hot summer months.I would suggest this for a sophistacated young woman,or a sophistacated woman with a youthful heart.

Sillage?Lovely.

Longevity?Satisfactory on my skin.

12th December, 2014
Such a beautiful lily scent. I have the Extrait de Parfum and it lasts about 6 hours. Lily is a tricky note as rogalal stated, and it can often turn cloying or funereal, but this one presents the best aspects of the lily: polleny, lush and green.
05th March, 2014
Smells wonderful, but not much lasting power...and this is for the EDP
28th January, 2014
Definitely one of the better lily scents I've tried. Lily is such a tricky note. It often comes off as a very sweet green chemical smell, but Baiser Volé cleverly pairs it up with a subtle peppery clove, which gives it a quiet grit and also creates that carnation effect that so many reviewers enjoy. There's also a standard white flowers accord and some soapy white musk, which make the whole thing feel flowery and "real" instead of sweet and chemical.

The chocolate note on the bottom is clever. The soap and flowery "grit" make sure it never feels gourmand. Instead, it's a fascinating source of richness. By the end of the day, when the soapy chocolate is all that's left, it's a little thin,but for most of the ride, Baiser Volé is compelling and maintains interest. Definitely recommended.
23rd January, 2014
A simple and smooth lily and carnation with a sweet white musk coming up from the bottom and a touch of lively green at heart. It reminds me of some classic 50's era white florals without the mustiness and intense level of powder that makes these things smell dated. I doubt it will wow many people but it is a well done scent and stays for much longer than I would have put money on. This would likely make for a good scent to layer with other simple scents, like an oriental one wishes had more dimension, or a dry, masculine cedar.
15th January, 2014
I'll beging by just saying one word out loud: CARNATIONS!!!
Yes, I'm a male, but the carnation has to be one of my favourite flowers out there! This scent is like being dropped in a flower bed of carnations and left there forever. A very linear fragrance, it stays pretty stable from the outset and last for ages. The scent of carnations is blended with many other notes but to my nose the carnation (quite hard for perfumers to get right these days) stands out most of all.
A wonderful composition of florals that females all round will enjoy and no doubt their male counterparts will equally appreciate as well!
09th January, 2014
Fell in love, bought, am wearing everyday, but wish it would last more than a couple of hours...
28th November, 2013
A powerful expression of the Lily in full bloom

I went to Nordstrom to try a couple new perfumes out to complement my collection. After smelling a dozen and a half different EDP's I had enough and was on my way out when the Baiser Volé bottle caught my attention. At this point I only had my upper arms left unsmothered so I spritzed a dash. Loved it and couldn't get enough of it! After a couple hours the smell turned into a rich powdry green scent that was exactly what Mathilde was trying to accomplish. Had to have it! I bought an unboxed 100ml bottle for a decent price at fragrancenet and have been wearing it for almost a week now. Still love the scent. It reminds me of a fresh bouquet of lilies or walking through a field of spring flowers, but if you spray too much it seems that there's more of a strong powder scent stepping forward rather than the notes of lily stems and leaves. So even if the scent seems to die out sooner rather than later it is not (in my opinion) advised to make up for that by over spraying. If you're used to strong scents like Eau du Soir by Sisley or the citrus spice of Eau des Merveilles Elixir by Hermes, you'll still find use of this EDP as an every day office scent.

Pros: Light and refreshing, unique all-inclusive Lily scent
Cons: Not long lasting, excessive use brings overpowering musky powder scent and kills the green notes entirely"

06th September, 2013

Do like it! Its light, refreshing, reminds me of Paris in the springtime!
13th March, 2013
Anybody else out there who felt immediately reminded at Guerlain´s L`Instant?
30th January, 2013
Barris Show all reviews
Green Green Green.
No flower to this stem if you know what I mean.

This is great, super classical, I'm five feet away from the bouquet : )
On a masculine chemistry though, it goes almost tomato vine. But this is no problem, a lot of people have complimented how fresh I smell. So the EDP really liked me, and the EDT is actually thought as.. a flower stem, needing the flower. So why not throw a floral note over it? It worked best with Givenchy's Dahlia Noir and BVLGARI's Jasmine Noir for me.

This is timeless and hope it sticks around, and I highly recommend the body cream.. though a bit pricey.. it's as intimate as your chemistry can get with such a green and fancy fragrance such as this one. I really push trying this one on for sure! Lovely! It's just as radiant and beautiful as their Jewelry.
17th October, 2012
I love the scent of lilies - I enjoy Penhaligon's Lily & Spice, Donna Karan's Gold, Frederic Malle Edition de Parfums Lys Mediterannee.... so I bought this (EDP) unsniffed. It smells like hairspray :-/

EDIT: OK, so it’s time to do a second sniff and try to assess this perfume for what it is, rather than what it isn’t: To judge it on its own terms. As I mentioned above, I already own Lily & Spice and Gold, so I should ask myself why I would want another scent that replicates their take on lily anyway?!

I don’t know enough to be able to identify the “hairspray” note – a nostril-tickling, high-pitched effect - that hits you first of all, and that stays around. Is it salycilates or ”solar” notes? It’s like White Linen in terms of this starchy, laundry-sheets effect. Other reviewers have said that it’s an abstract floral, and that helps me to appreciate it – it is indeed an abstract, modernist floral that takes the bitter sap and the dusty pollen and the subtle floral sweetness and rearranges these elements into a delicate, abstract structure, like a snowflake. It also has a salty element that calls to mind Lys Mediterannee. It manages to be – what’s the right word? “powdery” has the wrong connotations, “fluffy” sounds to frivolous, for this soft yet sophisticated scent.

I doubt I’ll repurchase this, but I have added it to my small selection of “no brainer” work-appropriate scents and I shall enjoy wearing it very much this Spring and Summer. Thanks to other posters whose thoughts have helped me see the light on this one. The fact that it is so different from Lily & Spice and Gold is now what draws me to it!

FINAL EDIT: My brain still says "hairspray" when I smell this. I gave it to my sister, and she loves it.
24th September, 2012 (last edited: 13th May, 2014)
For my sensibilities, BV is cheap and nasty. Although it is true to a specific variety of lily (the Asiatic lily), the scent of that lily in particular is especially flat and shallow. Because the Asiatic lily inherently has an almost synthetically thin sharp green scent, it would have made more sense to create some much-needed counterpoint, depth, and roundness in the overall perfume by fattening it up (i.e., making it more sophisticated) with some supporting but enriching notes (e.g., gardenia, orris butter, sandalwood, oakmoss, etc.) to compliment the primary lily note/accord.

However, as it stands, BV is simplistic and reminds me of some kind of pungent fake dryer sheet smell. Anyway, as I said before...cheap and nasty, and the bottle shaped like a cigarette lighter (as expensive as it looks) only makes it that much trashier. Gross.

On the plus side, for those who actually do like this odor, projection, sillage, and longevity are all good to great.
04th April, 2012 (last edited: 17th July, 2012)
A very radiant green-aromatic and musky dry soliflor with the starring note of lily of the valley at the central point of the round. The smell is simply radiant, classy, very elegant and feminine in my opinion. The top notes are a bit too angular with a notable citrusy-botanic tart vibe. You can almost smell the earth under the floral stalks and the roots itself. In a while the odour becomes more "rosey" and airy with all the blooming up delicacy of the lily bursting on the spring sky. The final smell is a bit powdery and musky but above all floral. The kind of floral smell reminds me the scent of muguet for sure in association with rose although i don't know if rose is really comprised in the blend. The moderate floral mildness is delighful, the smell is almost natural and fresh, may be some neutral powdery cedarwood imprints structure to the musky base. An excellent floral romantic fragrance that follows the Cartier's story, i talk about the almost natural but at once faint (in lasting power-this one less than others) kind of smell.
20th December, 2011 (last edited: 17th January, 2012)
Virtue&Sin Show all reviews
Russian Federation
In my opinion, the new Cartier is more than just a pleasing fragrance to the general public to avoid drawing attention to strong scents (or can not afford to do so in some fields). Beyond the bottle, cocktails launch all that surrounds each new fragrance (or their awards, or anniversaries), Baiser Vole can satisfy a voracious appetite for conquest while women from more demure and romantic preferences. A lily worthy of becoming known, yes, in all her femininity yet with its wild rhythm of green stems and citrus as well for the male audience: everyone deserves a cuddle from time to time.
02nd November, 2011 (last edited: 03rd November, 2011)
I thought this was nothing special...but the bottle with the flip top os very nice.
29th October, 2011
Just tried this morning in a shop. Surprise! Finally a lys in a commercial fragrance. While niche market has got three beautiful creations on lys notes (un lys mediterranee by malle, lys and spice by penhaligons, and the great Un lys by lutens) this is the first lys I found on shelves. While "Un Lys" is dark, sofisticated and misterious, Baiser Volè is a diamond (according to Cartier jewelry name!). Bright and clear from the first sniff. Unfortunately the fragrance doesn't evolve. It remains the same for hours and it is a little bit too monolitic!But what a nice monolite!
Another point in favour of BV is the top of the bottle. It opens up in a nice, original way: like a zippo!!
Lys notes are really important to me, being my name Susan (lys in hebrew). Thankyou Cartier.
28th September, 2011 (last edited: 12th April, 2014)
This scent is meant to convey an portrait of the various parts of a lily: pistils, petals, and green leaves. It succeeds in that goal, and quite well. This is a lovely floral. It is somewhat sweet, but it is not heavy and it retains a fresh quality. At times it has soapy or dewy notes, suggesting youth and Springtime. The phrase "pretty in pink" comes to mind. The lily theme is well done -- it really smells like that flower. It has the saffron-like pistils, the heady sweetness of the petals, and the perky crunch of green leaves. Not at all my style but I can appreciate it.
24th September, 2011