Positive Reviews of Baiser Volé by Cartier

Find out more about Baiser Volé by Cartier in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

snowdrop's avatar

I enjoy the scent of lily in perfume but not so much lily of the valley. I also own Lys Mediterranee and have tried Donna Karan's Gold and Lys Soleia.

Of all the above, I find Baiser Vole the easiest to wear. It's very adaptable - refreshing for summer daytime, fine for work environments, also very nice for informal parties or drinks in summer.

It opens with a scent that's quite reminiscent of clean shampoo, but it develops beautifully within ten minutes. What it perhaps lacks in intrigue or animalic depths is more than made up for by light charm and elegance. It has a green peppery edge, the lily is fairly crisp, not too clean, and there's a wisp of vanilla to lend a fluffy cloud-like aura. It feels to me as though it's floating around my head in delicate bubbles of clear, light sparkliness. Dearie me that sounds a bit air-headed, but Baiser Vole has that lovely slightly vegetable peppery green note too. It also has surprising longevity.

It's a perfume that will appeal to women of all ages who seek a contemporary fresh green floral with underlying elegance. I'm always reminded of a green house when wearing Baiser Vole. I can''t think of any other perfume that has this gentle yet clear quality, almost verging on aquatic. Matin d'Orage is vaguely similar, but still smells like a classic floral.

Though very pretty, Baiser Vole is really quite unique and quirky in its way.

12th February, 2015

babsbendix's avatar

This one is quiet enough that I missed out on its nuances for a long time - turns out the only way I could appreciate it when testing was to spritz in a department store then immediately go outside!

The first few times I wore it the weather was warm, and I experienced it mostly as a wonderful vintage face powder and milk chocolate drydown that lingers softly for hours and hours. It's an impressionistic and restrained milk chocolate, which is why I think it works. Chocolate notes usually smell cheap, though in coming at it kind of sideways, the illusion holds.

In cooler weather it's been a whole different thing - lily, and lily, and lily, for days. Initially I thought this was such an elegant and chaste scent, yet getting to know it better, I've noticed a very pronounced skank note - this lily's over-ripe, and we're getting some of the stale, murky water in the bottom of its vase. It's kind of off-putting, yet kind of sexy and dirty on skin, like the mysteries that lurk in some of the old Guerlains and Carons.

I appreciate the way it gives a nod to 1920s-30s sophisticated powdery glamour, yet is, by comparison, a streamlined modern scent. It seems just right that Cartier should acknowledge history and also exist in the present.

22nd December, 2014 (Last Edited: 04th January, 2015)

aquila_2009's avatar

Iran Iran

Salutation.

If i could describe it in one word it would be LOVELY!like a breath of fresh spring air.If you have ever picked a small bunch of lilly of the valley to bring indoors,you will want this scent around you always.BAISER VOLE is the kind of smell that can literally brighten your day just by wearing it.a perfectly balance blend of florals and green notes.it reminds me of an early spring morning or a cool summer evening when you get that hint of lilly of the valley floating in the breeze.It is also complements the natural scent of women.Green,Fragrant,Graceful, Refreshing,Quietly,but distinctly feminine and Softly Elegant.

A natural embodiment in the vivaciously fresh green notes combined with bright fruits(citruses))and the delicate feminine flowers(lily)).a lightly green base only hinted at the sensuality of this winning combination to wear when your active either working in the day time or night dancing.It surrounds you with a sophisticated bouquet.it makes you imagine of green fields and bloming flowers,shining and romantic walks with him when you want your grace,elegance and infinite elegance,impress him.BAISER VOLE is perfect for spring and hot summer months.I would suggest this for a sophistacated young woman,or a sophistacated woman with a youthful heart.

Sillage?Lovely.

Longevity?Satisfactory on my skin.

12th December, 2014

ladymurasaki's avatar

Such a beautiful lily scent. I have the Extrait de Parfum and it lasts about 6 hours. Lily is a tricky note as rogalal stated, and it can often turn cloying or funereal, but this one presents the best aspects of the lily: polleny, lush and green.

05th March, 2014

rogalal's avatar

Definitely one of the better lily scents I've tried. Lily is such a tricky note. It often comes off as a very sweet green chemical smell, but Baiser Volé cleverly pairs it up with a subtle peppery clove, which gives it a quiet grit and also creates that carnation effect that so many reviewers enjoy. There's also a standard white flowers accord and some soapy white musk, which make the whole thing feel flowery and "real" instead of sweet and chemical.

The chocolate note on the bottom is clever. The soap and flowery "grit" make sure it never feels gourmand. Instead, it's a fascinating source of richness. By the end of the day, when the soapy chocolate is all that's left, it's a little thin,but for most of the ride, Baiser Volé is compelling and maintains interest. Definitely recommended.

23rd January, 2014

Shifty Bat's avatar

A simple and smooth lily and carnation with a sweet white musk coming up from the bottom and a touch of lively green at heart. It reminds me of some classic 50's era white florals without the mustiness and intense level of powder that makes these things smell dated. I doubt it will wow many people but it is a well done scent and stays for much longer than I would have put money on. This would likely make for a good scent to layer with other simple scents, like an oriental one wishes had more dimension, or a dry, masculine cedar.

15th January, 2014

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

I'll beging by just saying one word out loud: CARNATIONS!!!
    Yes, I'm a male, but the carnation has to be one of my favourite flowers out there! This scent is like being dropped in a flower bed of carnations and left there forever. A very linear fragrance, it stays pretty stable from the outset and last for ages. The scent of carnations is blended with many other notes but to my nose the carnation (quite hard for perfumers to get right these days) stands out most of all.
    A wonderful composition of florals that females all round will enjoy and no doubt their male counterparts will equally appreciate as well!

09th January, 2014

CitrusLily's avatar

A powerful expression of the Lily in full bloom

I went to Nordstrom to try a couple new perfumes out to complement my collection. After smelling a dozen and a half different EDP's I had enough and was on my way out when the Baiser Volé bottle caught my attention. At this point I only had my upper arms left unsmothered so I spritzed a dash. Loved it and couldn't get enough of it! After a couple hours the smell turned into a rich powdry green scent that was exactly what Mathilde was trying to accomplish. Had to have it! I bought an unboxed 100ml bottle for a decent price at fragrancenet and have been wearing it for almost a week now. Still love the scent. It reminds me of a fresh bouquet of lilies or walking through a field of spring flowers, but if you spray too much it seems that there's more of a strong powder scent stepping forward rather than the notes of lily stems and leaves. So even if the scent seems to die out sooner rather than later it is not (in my opinion) advised to make up for that by over spraying. If you're used to strong scents like Eau du Soir by Sisley or the citrus spice of Eau des Merveilles Elixir by Hermes, you'll still find use of this EDP as an every day office scent.

Pros: Light and refreshing, unique all-inclusive Lily scent
    Cons: Not long lasting, excessive use brings overpowering musky powder scent and kills the green notes entirely"

06th September, 2013

Julessharp's avatar

Do like it! Its light, refreshing, reminds me of Paris in the springtime!

13th March, 2013

Barris's avatar

Green Green Green.
    No flower to this stem if you know what I mean.

This is great, super classical, I'm five feet away from the bouquet : )
    On a masculine chemistry though, it goes almost tomato vine. But this is no problem, a lot of people have complimented how fresh I smell. So the EDP really liked me, and the EDT is actually thought as.. a flower stem, needing the flower. So why not throw a floral note over it? It worked best with Givenchy's Dahlia Noir and BVLGARI's Jasmine Noir for me.

This is timeless and hope it sticks around, and I highly recommend the body cream.. though a bit pricey.. it's as intimate as your chemistry can get with such a green and fancy fragrance such as this one. I really push trying this one on for sure! Lovely! It's just as radiant and beautiful as their Jewelry.

17th October, 2012

Darvant's avatar

A very radiant green-aromatic and musky dry soliflor with the starring note of lily of the valley at the central point of the round. The smell is simply radiant, classy, very elegant and feminine in my opinion. The top notes are a bit too angular with a notable citrusy-botanic tart vibe. You can almost smell the earth under the floral stalks and the roots itself. In a while the odour becomes more "rosey" and airy with all the blooming up delicacy of the lily bursting on the spring sky. The final smell is a bit powdery and musky but above all floral. The kind of floral smell reminds me the scent of muguet for sure in association with rose although i don't know if rose is really comprised in the blend. The moderate floral mildness is delighful, the smell is almost natural and fresh, may be some neutral powdery cedarwood imprints structure to the musky base. An excellent floral romantic fragrance that follows the Cartier's story, i talk about the almost natural but at once faint (in lasting power-this one less than others) kind of smell.

20th December, 2011 (Last Edited: 17th January, 2012)

Virtue&Sin's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

In my opinion, the new Cartier is more than just a pleasing fragrance to the general public to avoid drawing attention to strong scents (or can not afford to do so in some fields). Beyond the bottle, cocktails launch all that surrounds each new fragrance (or their awards, or anniversaries), Baiser Vole can satisfy a voracious appetite for conquest while women from more demure and romantic preferences. A lily worthy of becoming known, yes, in all her femininity yet with its wild rhythm of green stems and citrus as well for the male audience: everyone deserves a cuddle from time to time.

02nd November, 2011 (Last Edited: 03rd November, 2011)

nonnative's avatar

Just tried this morning in a shop. Surprise! Finally a lys in a commercial fragrance. While niche market has got three beautiful creations on lys notes (un lys mediterranee by malle, lys and spice by penhaligons, and the great Un lys by lutens) this is the first lys I found on shelves. While "Un Lys" is dark, sofisticated and misterious, Baiser Volè is a diamond (according to Cartier jewelry name!). Bright and clear from the first sniff. Unfortunately the fragrance doesn't evolve. It remains the same for hours and it is a little bit too monolitic!But what a nice monolite!
    Another point in favour of BV is the top of the bottle. It opens up in a nice, original way: like a zippo!!
    Lys notes are really important to me, being my name Susan (lys in hebrew). Thankyou Cartier.

28th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th April, 2014)

odysseusm's avatar

This scent is meant to convey an portrait of the various parts of a lily: pistils, petals, and green leaves. It succeeds in that goal, and quite well. This is a lovely floral. It is somewhat sweet, but it is not heavy and it retains a fresh quality. At times it has soapy or dewy notes, suggesting youth and Springtime. The phrase "pretty in pink" comes to mind. The lily theme is well done -- it really smells like that flower. It has the saffron-like pistils, the heady sweetness of the petals, and the perky crunch of green leaves. Not at all my style but I can appreciate it.

24th September, 2011