Reviews of I Love NY for All by Bond No. 9

Find out more about I Love NY for All by Bond No. 9 in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

The opening reminded me of Angel, a cloying tonka/cardamom note with cocoa, nutmeg, almonds, some light flowers to provide lightness and "colour", and a woody-resinous base (sandalwood?). So basically a sort of masculine woody-musky gourmand, with a prominent, persistent and incredibly sickening central "roasted" note which smells of burnt cakes and roasted caramel, on a more decent (but lighter) base of vanillin surrounded by notes of leather and coffee. The drydown is nicer – a silky vanillin-woody accord – but really not worth the plague of all that comes before.

4,5-5/10

01st July, 2014

cologneblog's avatar

a little too sweet for my taste, doesn't quite work on my skin as a man – – – however I'm sure that some will appreciate this fragrance given bonds reputation.

27 February, 2014

Darvant's avatar

Misleading new "I love NY" line release by Bond NO. 9, an incredibly powerful "prickly spices/cocoa/balsams/coffee/woods/leather" gourmandish combo finally resulting effectively almost nutty/"popcornish", tobacco flavoured, "ultra-sweet" and decidedly carnal (almost gasseous I have to say). If you are in to gourmand/spicy/nutty philosophy this bombastic concoction can be your holy grail but your stomach must be tremendously stout to tollerate this atomic bomb. The beginning (the part I prefer, the only one bearable) is almost luxurious and glamour with its bergamot/cardamom/patchouli/floral notes (woods/tonka veined) refined accord so sexy and "top party" type. I detect leathery, woody and ambery (ambergris may be) veins by now yet. In this phase the bergamot/prickly-spices/tobacco/leather accord is dominant, it is veined by sweet spices, herbal patterns, may be ambergris and woods, the nutty/yummy finally dominant elements are still "semi-buried" and the aroma is sparkling and velvety (vaguely a la Ambre Noir Yves Rocher, Police Dark or IL Lancetti in their olfactory introductions). Unfortunately in a few time a powerful gourmand cocoa/coffee/chestnut/vanilla (Aquolina type of) accord encompasses all the elements, tames the spiciness, enhances a sort of more linear sweetness and mitigates the sparkling glamour appeal. In this final phase of the development the real nutty I Love NY for All's nature turns powerfully out and you can finally detect the landmark sweet popcorn (toasted and caramelized hazelnut grain) vibe. From now on the aroma is far less interesting and somewhat hyper nutty/sweet and penetrating, even if I have to say that a stout leathery/woody undertone (together with herbal, floral and cosmetical type of elements) still fights courageously against the obscure legions of the sweet yummy/nutty patterns. Just bearable by the goumands hardcore lovers in my opinion. Excellent longevity and sillage.

24 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 25 February, 2014)

TLS's avatar

Belgium Belgium

The list of notes and the description of the frag made want this so bad. Unfortunately the very synthetic milky and creamy note is unbearable and makes me nauseus. Disgusting.

24 March, 2013

Indagnacious's avatar

The first two wearings, I wasn't sure I even liked this. There was something almost sour, like others may have mentioned. Indeed they may have been trying for that milk note on purpose, like the milk or cream added to coffee or a frothy cappuccino? Whatever it was, it wasn't necessarily off-putting, just a bit strange. But I like strange, and although Bond may have put out quite a few duds in their incessant line of offerings, I don't feel for one minute this is one of them. Should you have some reservations the first few times, hold off on judgement, as it may certainly come around for you. It did for me, and now I absolutely cannot get enough. I adore this fragrance! Longevity and sillage are way high on the meter. Some fragrances just take a little time to get accustomed to, and the ones you may not like so much in the beginning, well they actually turn out to be diamonds in the rough. I love New York City and I definitely love NY for All.

23 February, 2013

phi's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Nobody does gourmands like Bond and this is another winner. There seems to be a lot of ambiguity as to what this actually smells like. While I feel hazelnutty/milky/chocolately is on the right track to my nose this smells exactly like Amul Kool Kesar I had when I went to India. Look it up.

15 February, 2013

Manderava's avatar

The most superb gourmand. Love at first smell. It's rich, it's deep, it's a little bit sweet but deep and rich enough with hazelnut and popcorn that it isn't a sweet syrup. Just delicious!

16 December, 2012

CoL's avatar

Appears brevity is my thing these days when it comes to reviews!

Lanvin Avent Garde on steroids! That's what this is, possibly with a touch of CK One Shock for men. LOVE IT!!

11th July, 2012

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

I love this one , can't imagine myself without it. This is my holy grail on sweet fragrances hunt, I simply drool for the marron glacé smell.

25 May, 2012

icanzapyou's avatar

This is definitely one of my favorite gourmands. I'm really a bit surprised by that note pyramind. Really? Bergamot? Pepper? Patchouli? All I really smell with this is a delicious, chocolate covered pretzel. Maybe a little burnt, in the best way. It's not soft, it's not delicate, in fact it's a little in your face. The kind of scent that emanates from a warm oven and fills a home. It's just plain delicious. Of course, one must really appreciate gourmands to enjoy I Love New York for All.

One last thing- this is significantly better than New Haarlem in my book. This and Harrod's Oud raise the bar entirely amongst Bond's whole line.

25 May, 2012

rogalal's avatar

A truly interesting new take on the gourmand genre that proves that Bond No 9's put-out-a-new-one-every-month business scheme does occasionally, by their sheer output, come up with something brilliant and truly revolutionary.

This is mostly based on whatever ingredient it is that makes that sweetened evaporated milk smell. On me, it's mostly that, but with a slight burnt caramel giving it some flavor. That evaporated milk smell is persistent, but eventually lets up its grip just enough for a nice peppery patchouli to peek through, along with a nutty woody base. By late in the day, that evaporated milk note is still going strong, though now with a nutty and slightly musky undertone and a shot of mace, the chickory-ish pie spice that reminds a lot of people of coffee.

My issue with I Love NY for All is personal. That milk note goes really sour on my skin and smells really sickening. I've worn a lot of perfumes and, aside from a couple of old civet monsters, this is the only one that has actively made me feel queasy in my stomach. Now that I've worn it a couple of times and written this review, I plan on never getting near this one again, but I didn't want to give it a thumbs down, just because it really is a creative new kind of gourmand, and I don't want to discourage everyone from trying it just because it radically disagrees with me.

19 May, 2012

Erok32's avatar

Whomever compared this to count chocula was dead on. I like it... And so do women. Perfect for a night in watching movies.

02 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2012)

Matttmj's avatar

Upon smelling this scent for the first time, I was overtaken with the sweet smell of glazed Krispy Kreme donuts, sour dough bread, and a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee. Now, that might not be everyone's thing per se, but it smells fantastic to me. Seriously, this is a great gourmand fragrance that one would not expect to have much staying power, but it actually sticks around all day. The vanilla/coffee/cocoa trifecta hit your nose at first and the leather/pepper/patchouli combination hits you in the second wave.

01st March, 2012

LeMâle's avatar

As hard as I tried to like this, I couldn't keep the bottle I had purchased. The best way I can think of describing it is the smell of a Starbucks Barista at the end of their shift. The smell of sour milk and coffee beans, which is definitely far from pleasant. I wouldn't hesitate to wear this if it didn't remind me of my first job ever, it's quite unfortunate.

17 February, 2012

jamwires's avatar

A combination of dry (hazelnuts and cocoa) and wet (milky coffee).

This is REALLY gourmand. Fairly linear, relatively heavy - and synthetic. It makes me ill. Syrupy, milky, butter caramel artificial flavoring.

New Haarlem = great

ILNY4ALL = bad. really bad.

30th January, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 March, 2012)

eMCizzle's avatar

Smells deelish! Almost edible-like. I know that I Love NY for Her includes blueberry muffin in its notes, but I swear I also smell it in I Love NY for All! Or maybe it's just wishful thinking as I type this review in the morning with the hunger for a warm blueberry muffin batch fresh out of the oven. Everyone who passes by one who wears this fragrance will want to eat you alive!

For those who cringe at the thought of gourmand fragrances, this is a pretty tolerable one, I kid you not! It's more of a youthful fragrance in my opinion as opposed to Bond No. 9's city fragrances...but not youthful in the league of Aquolina's Blue Sugar.

It's full bottle purchase worthy!

One of my favorites! =]

07 November, 2011

KandeeMann2001's avatar

Absolutely delicious!! I'd been anxiously waiting for this specific one of the ILNY fragrances, particularly because I'm a die-hard lover of all things gourmand. I admit that I was a bit put off by some of the VERY few reviews that I'd read and watched, but after ordering a sample and trying it for myself...I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!

My particular skin chemistry is VERY sweet - just about anything I wear quickly turns into Mrs. Butterworth's on my skin. No kidding. So, this was right up my alley. The opening is a delightful burst of rich, bold Starbucks Hazelnut coffee. Creamy. Nutty. Full bodied. Sprinkled with a few dashes of nutmeg, cinnamon and powdered sugar. The middle layer sets in about 30 minutes later, which - on my skin - smelled of sweet cinnamon french toast, drizzled with warm maple syrup. The base gets back to coffee and it sits very nicely on my skin. Reminds me greatly of New Haarlem, but with bolder emphasis on the coffee/cocoa/hazelnut factor. Where New Haarlem gives you a lighter, more fun and "sociable" type of smell, ILNY For All is a deeper, darker, richer and more intimate experience. For contrast - NH is a delicious morning breakfast at IHOP and ILNY For All is an evening cup of gourmet coffee at the Jazz Cafe downtown.

After 3 hours, and a bit of sweat from today's heat, longevity is impressive. Even as I sniff now, I'm amazed at how well they captured such a "buttery nuttiness" in this fragrance. Very well-rounded and well-executed gourmand. It's rich caramel cream, soft cocoa powder and steamy liquid coffee all at once. And again, this is my personal experience and my skin does take a specific liking to sweet gourmand fragrances. So, if you're taste is anything like mine, then you won't be disappointed!!

09 October, 2011

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

New and contemporary from the house of bond no 9 in NYC...

I have just received the sample from Harrods London and have worn it all day long...

Gorgeous and unique juice based around strong coffee, cocoa, leather, pepper, patchouli and vanilla notes...I can detect a very sensual gasolin/petrol note which is certainly very much of an 80`s accord...think garage/motorbikes/hot steamy attraction...I truly love this in a modern scent...there is a masculine/androgynous/vampish flair in this Bond...is this why the scent is in a Black bottle?...I wonder...

Excellent longevity and sillage...

Big thumbs up...!!!

01st October, 2011

MarshallLaw's avatar

My new favorite Bond 9! I thought they were loosing there stamina but this is pure bliss!!!

01st October, 2011

suburbanites's avatar

Both figuratively and quite literally, this scent "appeases the masses by offending no one" and it is truly a linear experience. You can name that tune in one note, and that dominant note is vanilla. Wearing this begins with an experience of a sharp and fresh bergamot to awaken the senses, along with citrus, pepper and lily of the valley. The experience then becomes much more linear as coffee, cacao and maron glace are added. Base notes are quick to open, those consisting of sandalwood, other leathery-woody notes, patchouli, and...oh, we almost forgot! Vanilla.

The opening is sharp yet somewhat dirty, owing to the pepper and lily of the valley. All too quickly, and in my case that was about 10 minutes, the scent transforms right past the heart notes as if it were the uptown express bus missing a corner full of riders. It careens directly into the vanilla base, and this is where it becomes familiar. Too familiar. Too common. Too much like every other vanilla-based scent that's come before it. New Haarlem comes to mind, except that New Haarlem contains more noticeable and better blended competing notes of coffee, cream, caramel, and a completely different vibe altogether. The vanilla there is a complementary note. Here? It overpowers everything.

It does very little to engage the olfactory or capture that essence of an iconic city as Bond has attempted to do with all of its other fragrances (some very well). Seven hours later, the vanilla finally extinguishes leaving little of the sandalwood and patchouli to pick up the pieces. But by that point, the damage has been done and you're left with the feeling of having spent almost the cost of one hotel night in a tourist class hotel and walking away with a simply a saccharine sweet confection rather than the essence of a city that two people could share.

For All missed the mark. And that's a pity because Bond has done so well at creating good unisex fragrances that they had an opportunity to grab this bottle by the collar and show the world some New York chutzpah. Instead, they've left us with a not-so-cheap souvenir.

23 September, 2011