Reviews of Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

The Bend in the road BY Paul Cezanne 1905
07th August, 2017
I've worn the EdT of Terre extensively over the past year and, being a fan, recently picked up a bottle of the parfum version for a steep discount. Try as I might, I can't quite parse any major differences between the two formulations, at least not enough to justify the latter's higher price. At a push, I think the parfum sparkles a bit less but feels more rounded and bass-heavy, with a stronger emphasis on the spicy, mineral and woody notes of the original and less focus on citrus. What baffles me slightly are the reviews I've read that claim the opposite - that the parfum has more orange, less wood and mineral aspects. The problem with both formulations is that they fatigue my nose rather quickly, so consecutive days of wear give me skewed impressions of the scent, if indeed I'm able to smell it at all. (I blame that slick-haired showoff of the perfumer's palette, Iso E Super, for this effect.) I may eventually detect more dramatic differences between the two concentrations as I continue to wear and enjoy both, but for now, I throw my hands up and dismiss the decision to release a "parfum" concentration as a marketing tactic to spike sales over at Hermés. Don't knock yourself out and/or bruise your wallet to get your grubby mitts on the parfum version - the original plays essentially the same tune, and performs just as well.
16th May, 2017
The EDP is definitely different from the EDT. This is much more focused on the orange notes. EDT has more wood, pepper, vetiver. While this is heavier on the orange, I would say the EDT is brighter than this. The orange in Terre isn't exactly a fresh orange. It is more of a rotten orange that has been mixing with soil, where it will eventually become one with the soil. While that may smell bad in reality, here it is quite nice.
08th May, 2017

Terre d'Hermès Parfum, to me, embodies the ideal masculine - not in your face, speaking in sophisticated and simple terms that are easily understood (not necessarily loved...that's in the nose of the beholder).

As the name suggests, Terre d'Hermès is earthy, but not dirty nor avant garde. It strikes a great balance between citrus, spice, and woodiness, smelling like a classic men's fougere fragrance, yet made for the contemporary wearer.

Terre d'Hermès Parfum smells well-crafted and classy, not gimmicky, suited for most any occasion at most times of the year. The edt formulation is sharper and less rounded out; the "fresh" version is brighter and a bit hollowed out (though still pleasant). I don't mind either one, but Terre d'Hermès Parfum feels like the heart and essence of what they're all trying to communicate, and that's the one I chose to get.

04th April, 2017
full bottle EDP. I think its decent. I'm not able to appreciate any significant presence of the wood notes. the performance is great. But not very complex or exciting. Not the most exciting fragrance in my collection. But is a safe, unoffensive, neutral buy.
12th March, 2017
I first tried Terre d’Hermès in the eau de toilette concentration. It is radiant in the contemporary manner, not forceful, but persistent. The eau de toilette’s slightly sour edge gives the impression of two voices singing together, one sharp and one flat. The notes don’t balance each other and they don’t cancel each other out. They sit uneasily next to each other.

Terre d’Hermès is linear, but has a single, wide accord that seems to surround you. It is radiant like many other contemporary linear masculines (a famously heavy percentage of Iso-E Super), but it seems to encompass you rather than emanate from you. The parfum is smoother and differently calibrated than the edt. It cushions the tartness of the edt, making it less curdled than tart. There is nothing superfluous, yet there’s no feeling of starkness.

The artistry, consideration and likely enormous amount of editing that went into the making of Terre d’Hermès are evident. Apply any binary set of descriptors to Terre d’Hermès and you’ll find it sits dead center, equidistant from the poles. I imagine an inordinate amount of effort went into placing Terre d’Hermès smack in the middle of the road. It suggests nothing. It refers to nothing. It asks nothing. It is devoid of character.

Forget Prada. The Devil wears Hermès.
07th February, 2017
I have now worn this about 5 times to get an accurate feel for this great fragrance. I split my collection up with work/daytime scents and night time gourmands, vintage power scents and the freaky stuff. This is a great work scent and nobody has recoiled to the corner of the elevator and sneezed when I get on.

My body usually eats citrus up and leaves just a faint skin scent (looking at you Aventus) so as I sit at my desk I enjoy the moderate sillage that wafts up my shirt. I haven't received any compliments yet but I'm waiting for them.

The note paramid is fairly accurate but I don't really get much wood at the base however I thoroughly enjoy the mineral notes in the heart along with a slight smokiness to the deep citrus.

Is it a masterpiece of perfumery? Not quite, the fragrance dosen't really evolve quite much but the longevity is quite good for this type of fragrance (citrus).

A fantastic work and daytime scent and worthy of a back up bottle for me.
02nd February, 2017
I tend to associate fragrances with music (combining the senses of smell & sound). I am also not sure how relatable my associations are, so take it for what it is worth. Terre D’Hermes reminds me of the be-bop jazz album Blue Train by John Coltrane. It’s sophisticated but different. Abstract but easy to take in. It doesn’t go leaps and bounds in trying to overpower or “wow” anyone around. Its draw is in subtlety -- quiet yet abstract. Orange smelling but not sweet. Classic yet modern.

Terre D’Hermes is the best “earthy citrus” on the market, in my eyes (beating Le Labo’s Bergamote 22 – a close second). Someone described this as smelling of a “dirty orange” – and I completely agree. It is aptly named. Although this works well in any season, I wear it as my signature in the Spring. After a long cold winter, I enjoy pulling out the smell of new earth, coupled with fruity citrus. It’s a "Here Comes the Sun" kind of feeling when spring begins and I begin to wear this fragrance again. It’s not completely summer…but it gets me ready for the transition of spring by reminding me of the new birth taking place in the warming soil. The dirt yielding new fruits and plants.

The EDP is heavier on the “orangeness” to my nose. It starts with the orange blast (and grapefruit is detected) – and immediately you pick up on the peppery/earthy notes. The earthy notes are layered. I pick up on vetiver, minerals, and even a smell of soil. The peppery mineral-like earth accord (coupled with the Vetiver) is also perfect for the office. If you want a true signature that will be remembered, this is it. Like Blue Train, it is abstract enough to be remembered, but generally not threatening or offensive to anyone. People MAY be put off or curious about it at first, but the longer the association with your smell, the more drawn by it and familiar with it they become (also like the jazz album).

The fragrance stays pretty linear with these orange/peppery/vetiver notes. However, if there are any basenotes to describe or detect at all – they would be the earthy smell of minerals gunpowder that remain on the skin (more prevelant in the EDT but definitely present in the EDP as well). It’s hard to describe it, you just have to experience it….

Longevity and projection are perfect. BUT… my only complaint of this fragrance is the olfactory fatigue that kicks in and prevents me from enjoying this gem on a day to day basis. Since this is my signature scent for the spring, I have to take a break for a week or so and “re-trick” my nose into detecting the smell (which is okay, because I use that time to enjoy Creed’s Green Irish Tweed during those weeks!). It is a shame about the olfactory fatigue though…

All in all, this one is near perfect. A modern classic!
9.5/10 (only because of the olfactory fatigue)
19th January, 2017
This is one of my all time favourite fragrances. Earthy, bold, good longevity and always receives compliments.
I see little point in buying the 'non-parfum' version as it is simply a watered down version of this and is ultimately disappointing
12th September, 2016
If I only owned one. This would be it. Fantastic long lasting and sofisticated fragrance.
18th June, 2016
WOW what an amazing scent. I find it familiar and different at the same time. Smells like something I already have or had in my collection but then it smells like something new and exciting. This should be in everyone's collection IMO. Great from start to finish with decent longevity and above average projection. For the quality the price isn't outrageous either. This should never ever be discontinued. Enjoy!
19th May, 2016
On me, this is fundamentally, a longlasting skin scent...and Im ok with that. It has a creamy, "sandle-woody", drydown that really hooks you. That nearly putrid orange peel vibe that it gives, is interesting and atypical enough for me, to have bought the 6 oz jug of the parfum.

The quintessential office scent...and maybe the most versatile scent in perfumery. A very solid perfume.
31st January, 2016
It’s been quite some time since I wore TdH EdT, but i feel this is brighter and crisper, with greens and citrus being much more prominent. The dry down presents peppery wood notes. I can fully appreciate the impact TdH has had on the fragrance world, and it is a wonderful scent, it’s just that I’m a guy who likes to wear things found off the beaten path. This also feels as though it would work in warmer temps, maybe summer nights out? Has wonderful longevity, but sits relatively close to the skin on me. My wife loves this! Thumb up!
08th December, 2015

I can understand why so many people like this fragrance. I fell in love with it at first sniff and wore it happily for about a year after that. It is a very strong scent, so I had to apply it judiciously when in close quarters because it projects really well and lasts several hours.

However, after a while, some note began to give me headaches, and the scent became so oppressive that I had to stop wearing it altogether. I've never had this happen with any other fragrance.

The petrichor-like mineral note is interesting, and the grapefruit and other citrus are nice as well. I don't smell anything rotten, abrasive, or strange here, as some people seem to detect.
11th November, 2015 (last edited: 06th January, 2016)
Definitely in my top 10. My first purchase of TDH was for the EDT, which strangely enough has a large variance of notes from the EDP. The funny thing is I wasn’t really sure I liked it the first time I sprayed it on. However, by the end of the day I loved it so much, I went online and purchased the biggest bottle of the EDP that I could find. BTW, both are awesome and smell relatively the same to my unprofessional nose, with the EDT being bolder, while the EDP is more refined. Strangely enough, the EDT has more projection and sillage though, while the EDP stays closer to the skin and lasts all day long (12hrs+).

Longevity: 10/10
Sillage: 7/10
Overall: 10/10
24th September, 2015
JonB Show all reviews
Most of you already know all about TdH, so I won't talk too much about "notes" here. I will just make a couple of observations. This is a pretty linear scent, and I'd bet that TdH consists of very few ingredients. In fact, I would guess that there aren't as many ingredients as there are notes in the pyramid. The second observation I will make is that there's very little difference between the EdT and the Parfum except for projection. Yes, the Parfum may be a tiny bit smoother (and I stress "tiny"), but the main difference is how the Parfum wears closer to the skin. It's a bit strange that you need at least twice as much of the parfum to equal the EdT. I see very little advantage in spending more for the parfum. Overall, this is a great fragrance, earthy, spicy, orange.
01st September, 2015
This is what I imagine Don Draper smells like. It's sophisticated, mysterious, gorgeous and a little dirty on the inside.
07th May, 2015
I can immediately tell that this is a Jean-Claude Elena fragrance. The opening citrus bears the classic Jean-Claude Elena citrus aura so apparent in so many of his fragrances. For some reason I’m liking this citrus opening better than as usual for me. Come to think of it, I’ve enjoyed several of Hermes' latest men’s offerings: Jardin Sur le Toit, Gentiane Blanche, Voyage…

This parfum version Terre d’Hermes comes across quite strongly. The opening is not as cool as the original TdH because the flint accord holds off for a while longer than in the original, I guess it gives the opening citrus a longer period to shine. When the stony flint note takes over, the scent shows the cool earthiness that TdH is famous for, only richer and more full than in the original. This flinty / citrus accord forms the core of Terre d’Hermes Parfum and has excellent longevity. The drydown goes woody with a hint of the citrus / flint remaining.

I find this a rather linear fragrance which is centered around some genuinely interesting and enjoyable accords. It is quite seductive.
03rd May, 2015 (last edited: 17th May, 2015)
If you prefer the great smell of Terre a tad bit milder on your skin, with less projection but huge longevity, this is the one for you.
03rd April, 2015
TdH Pure Perfume is a beauty. I wore it for the first time today and I felt so sophisticated. Even though it is a "pure perfume" it's not strong at all. It is just right and gives off the right projection. I find that TdH EDT is stronger that this one. It lasts a long time on me. I put it on this morning at 7:30am and it is now 8:00pm and I can still smell it. Perfect for any occasion.
13th February, 2015
Terre d'Hermes Parfum was one of the first fragrances I had at the beginning of this hobby, and has seen me through some not so great times. A restrained orange opening with hints of spices, is followed by a mineral earthy mid and woody base. I can detect some vetiver in the heart and the base, perhaps a hint of cedar as well. It has decent performance on my skin. Really stands out in the crowd of other designer fragrances- a solid release!
30th January, 2015
As others have noted, this is a smoother, richer, deeper version of TdH.
I really get a pink grapefruit note in the opening. The mineral note is much slower to emerge and is less crisp for a long time. The dry-down is very similar, except that the mineral note is a bit more sea-side (salty breeze) than earthy. A good scent, but I like the original better -- brighter, crisper, more refreshing. When I want TdH those are the things I seek.
15th December, 2014
richer and slightly sweeter than the original EDT. More sillage but less projection than the EDT, average longevity but I think the EDT is a bit longer. Both are excellent versions of this scent.
15th November, 2014
Smooth, oily citrus...

The Parfum version of Terre d'Hermès is an interesting one. Mainly because I can't think of other male-marketed perfumes being sold in "Pure Perfume", "Parfum" or "Extrait" concentration...

That being said, this version does have it's own merits. It wears closer to the skin, it's richer, it doesn't have the sillage of the other one (it won't fill a room with smell), but you will notice it for a long time. Two or three sprays of this will last for over six hours, and it holds itself very well.

You get a much smoother, denser and richer smell with this one, and a lot woodier. The woods here are quite prominent. Whereas the original was orange and grapefruit, this is orange and cedarwood, along with patchouli and vetiver. There may also be geranium here which adds to the "flinty" impression. Basically the Iso-E-Super (which Jean-Claude Ellena seems to love using) is more prominent in that it gives the Parfum a much deeper base to the whole composition. Another thing is that (as expected with a Parfum) this is linear. So you don't get the transitions experienced by the Eau de Toilette. This could either be a good or bad thing for you, but it is what to be expected from a higher concentration.

Overall, I think there is a place for the Parfum. If you are someone who likes spending more to feel more "smooth" or "polished", or want it to last longer, or like "heavier" scents, this could be an option. Of course having a Parfum is also a luxury, so you have to expect to pay more. I would describe this as mainly smooth and linear, and could be worn by a woman, if the same woman could also wear something like Encre Noir by Lalique. I could safely say that Terre d'Hermès Parfum is (very) similar to Encre Noir, just with a composition focused around citrus. The strong vetiver, cedar and Iso-E-Super are all there, and it has a "serious" tone... at least to me anyway. Again, a little different than the Eau de Toilette in tone (not in character), but it depends if you prefer to spend more money for that difference.
13th November, 2014
This is actually a nice fragrance that is not as sharp & pungent as the EDT. Smoother & dense. Which I prefer, yet it does not really do anything for me. It is dust, with oranges & grapefruit. When I smell/wear Terre D' Hermes, I am suddenly reminded of the desert. Dry and lagging. It last longer than the EDT, yet it does not project as much. I give it a 3 out of 5. But I am over this type of theme.
25th July, 2014
This one reminds me Chanel Sycomore - perhaps the iso e vibe? - but not so good... anyway, better than the former EdT
20th January, 2014 (last edited: 30th January, 2014)
Take the original Terre d'Hermes eau de toilette (already a brilliant fragrance), make it richer, and add a slight chypre vibe to the composition. You've got the Terre d'Hermes pure parfum.

A great fragrance made even better.
14th November, 2013
Good stuff

Good stuff, though no better than EDT

30th July, 2013
Gary F Show all reviews
Sweet and Sophisticated

I find this to be so wonderfully complex. It evolves throughout the day like few other fragrances that I've tried. I have not tried the EDT, but I love the EDP so much I'm gonna stick with it. Thoroughly modren and yet classic. All ages would wear this well.

Pros: Fruity without being shallow
Cons:

20th June, 2013
Excellent, just like the edt. This one is richer and quite stronger which may make it slightly less versatile than the edt. Great frag regardless. The orange and grapefruit with the flint was an excellent idea. The woody notes enhances the earthiness of this present masterpiece IMO.
02nd May, 2013