Positive Reviews of Artek Standard by Comme des Garçons

Find out more about Artek Standard by Comme des Garçons in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

malgaetha's avatar

I happen to really like Standard. To me, it encapsulates a gorgeous, modern, Calatrava glass-and-steel skyscraper. I do get a whiff of cleaning fluid at the get go (it has a remarkable resemblance to Fantastik), but I also get the fennel, and the ginger (although I get more of a pickled sushi ginger than the fresh root) and the hint of metal. There's a certain sterility, like that skyscraper, that is somehow beautiful in this context.

It is eminently wearable, minimalist but unique, and smells great on.

My problem is that I can't shake the feeling that Standard is what you wear to the suit-and-tie soulless consulting job you hate to try to assert the last shred of individuality you are clinging to before you finally quit. I have a friend who is in exactly in that situation right now, and I can't imagine anything else that he would wear.

Thumbs up anyway for a lovely composition, and the Calatrava architectural image I keep getting.

07 August, 2014

Delightfully aromatic top notes. Airy and clean and I don’t recognize the cause: Previous reviewers said synthetic… cleaning fluid… Finnish Labrador tea… metallic… lemon, cedar, ginger, incense. All these descriptions are true, and yet they are not exactly true. But don’t look to me, either… I don’t have the vocabulary for what is exactly the true description of this fragrance. Lucky Scent calls it “highly diffusive” and that is a very good description of what impresses me most about this fragrance.

CdG’s Standard is anything but standard. It is a genius abstraction, a “natural” synthetic, a bizarre familiarity. As peculiar as it is, it is subtle and an easy wear. I love it.

04 May, 2014

ION-ONE's avatar

I've been wearing ARTEK for over a year. The fragrance that got me into fragrance. It never fails to put a smile on my face.

Rei Kawakubo is the queen of collaborations - From CDG collabos with H&M through to Hermes via Speedo and Moncler. Artek have fitted out the furnishings for some of the CDG concept stores, so a collaborative fragrance ... why not! This fragrance shows how novel directions can be achieved when perfumery breaks out of its 'fashion' shackles.

Initial application is bonkers, no waiting for the alcohol to evaporate - the notes (lemon, woods, metal, pepper, pine-needles) burst out of the understated bottle and jostle for position. the anarchic opening soon settles and order is restored. The early phase is a green, natural, cold coniferous breath of fresh-air that seems to cleanse the lungs.

Around the middle phase the lovely fresh-cut cedar comes to dominate. This is where nature meets industry. One can visualise freshly felled cedar still oozing with thick sap - its smell intensified by being forced through a rugged metal saw-mill, the hot sawdust scattering across the cold concrete floor.

The drydown continues to a smooth musk / laundry-detergent base. this is soft and subtle but ultimately smile inducing as the base-scent invokes the journey that preceded it. An overall satisfaction of rugged nature being rendered into something man-made.

Overall: cool and clinical. Finally a unique skin scent and amazing on clothes. invigorating dry-down of modern white woods. Definitely one for an architect working in modern design, wearing Alexander Wang and Balenciaga trainers. Understated cool. Recommended to all!

03 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 09 April, 2014)

mysteriousmongoose's avatar

Vatican City State Vatican City State

One of the most smile-inducing fragrances I've encountered.

I've held off reviewing Standard, because virtually all the adjectives that describe it easily sound like criticisms: synthetic, chemical, evocative of some sort of cleaning fluid. But from the moment I tentatively sprayed a tiny amount on my wrist to find out what the scent in the odd-looking, rectangular, matte-grey bottle might be like, I was hooked.

This contains notes of Finnish Labrador tea, twinflower, fennel, and ginger, among other things, but I only get something seamless, in which no note dominates as it evolves.

It opens with a note that reminds me of something burnt or overheated (plastic?), yet it makes me smile. A note that I can best describe as 'citrusy cleaning fluid' comes up behind it, and all I can think of is that it sums up what I can recall of my childhood perceptions of modernity as it applied to architecture and various objects (I grew up in Florence, so modern was slightly alien and mysterious). Next is the a note that I can best describe as coolly metallic, like cool metal in the mouth., while something fir-like, a note that would be harsh if it came to the front, lingers elusively behind this.

This is a scent that seems to stay very close the skin, which thrills me (I'm not a fan of sillage). This is an oddly intimate, intently synthetic, and somehow, elusively sexual fragrance.

Pros: Intriguing, seamless, intimately close to the skin.
    Cons: I honestly cannot think of one.

02 June, 2013

Bufshuf's avatar

Very underrated scent

This was a blind buy when I was looking for a wood scent, primarily for winter wear. I was taken a little buy surprised by the powerful blast of lemon at the outset.  That transitions nicely to the cedar heart of the fragrance which I enjoyed for a couple of hours before it blended into the final phase of the dry down.

The final act is an animalic base from the herbs and musk but it still retains echoes of lemon and cedar.

It is one of those skin scents that keeps me sniffing at my wrist or arm or wherever all day long.  I would love to see what this scent would smell like on a woman.

Pros: Crisp and lively opening, slightly woody and very animalic dry down
    Cons: I wish it had a little better projection

18 May, 2013

farang's avatar

Thailand Thailand

This fragrance can indeed be interpreted as a Scandinavian furniture scent, in the vein of IKEA, which is basically a pine wood scent.

Smelling the fragrance on the skin, I think of it as a vetiver not so far removed from Encre Noir perhaps, but less sweet and more incensy and with more cedar wood. I enjoy vetiver fragrances, and I think of this is as one of the best.

Longevity is quite good and so is projection. It could fit well in both cool and warm weather, and it is perfectly unisex.

13 January, 2013

Ahree's avatar

When it comes to my search for the olfactory equivalent of the Holy Grail, my quest has been focused primarily on fragrances that don't smell stereotypically like cologne. Part of this is due to my wife's aversion to strong scents, and partly due to the sin of "trying to hard" to get others' attention. It was with delight, then, that I began wearing Artek Standard. Redolent of pine -- but not of the type to dangle from a car's rear view mirror -- the scent exudes subtlety and refinement. Crisp but not bracing, fresh but un-binaca-like, Artek Standard sets the standard in unisex cologne that is always appropriate. It lingers for many hours, but wafts close to the skin. It is fiendishly expensive but it may just end up as the scent you keep reaching for, whatever the season, whatever the hour.

14 June, 2012

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Commes des Garçons deserves my praise as a maison. They are always making audacious scents looking more into the concept of abstraction into their fragrances instead of marketing with safe fragrances and with Standard this is no different.

Here the maison strikes again where from a partnership with a Finland furniture company called Artek emerged one of the best creations I have smelled in a long time. Christian Astuguevieille and Olivier Pescheux created the personification of wood furniture in a perfect way.

Picture a small furniture workshop in a very traditional way and you will figure this fragrance out since it smells exactly like this. A work of art. Not for everyone, not for the average joe's nose. This is a well crafted gem that only a small niche of the market will realize the beauty it contains. Masterpiece, just masterpiece.

12 April, 2012

NillaGoon's avatar

Everyone seems to agree that this scent is primarily woody, but that's not really my impression. To me it seems more in line with the Odeurs: a clean, abstract scent that's hard to pin down to any real-world substance or smell. To me it evokes modular cubicles more than danish modern furniture.

It smells different, and it smells good. Projection is just right (noticeable but modest) and longevity is not bad either. Good choice for an office scent!

14 February, 2012

odysseusm's avatar

I like it. Admittedly, it is for wood fans only -- it is awesomely and resolutely woody.
    It starts with a lemon twist which interestingly morphs into a bright metallic note. That doesn't last too long. The ginger spice adds a minor note, but it is there and I can appreciate it. Basically, the scent finds and maintains a dry, heart-of-cedar note. Warm and yet haunting at the same time. Not heavy, not sweet at all. I keep checking my wrist and enjoying it. The drydown doesn't have a lot of layers, just loads of cedar wood. And sometimes, that is enough.

12 January, 2012

BL'eauOG's avatar

On a paper it smells like a metal but on the skin it is reminiscent of Scandinavia and everything that represents Scandinavia. I can sense the smell of forrset, pines, everything is fresh and aromatic. Very good fragrance that is mixied up with ginger, lemon and green tea. It is extremely aromatic, interesting and original. Good fragrance!

10th January, 2012

mas2pek's avatar

Picture this:
    A furniture workshop in remote countryside near the woods...
    An architecture of timber frame structure stood tall with smooth concrete flooring...
    The machinery are switched off, yet fresh timber shavings are scattered across the cold concrete floor...

That is the smell of Artek Standard.

Most spicy citrus scents tend to lean toward the feeling of warmth, yet ironically this one eludes a peculiar 'cool' sensation, giving it a rather charismatic appeal. More of an 'industrial' attitude than ''urban' I would say.

Definitely its a must try.

On a down side, the longevity isn't that great, perhaps its my skin, but nonetheless this is not a scent for you to wear and 'show it off'. Its for you to wear when spending quality solitude time in content.

15 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 December, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

Smart scent, I totally love it! Original without beeing too odd. If you're into sharp/austere cedarwood and spicy (desweetened) ginger/lemon concoctions, you'll probsbly dig this. It has the overall minimalistic incensey vibe of many Comme Des Garcons. Someone could argue saying it smells like pencil-shaving, but hey....this is the best "pencil shaving" fragrance on the market. A very wearable, discreet yet charismatic fragrance for the laidback personality guys! My only disappointment is the lasting power (no more than 3-5 hours). GDG is confirmed to be amongst the best modern/avanguardist perfumes outfit.

14 December, 2011