Neutral Reviews of Parfums des Beaux Arts Viridian by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

Find out more about Parfums des Beaux Arts Viridian by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

odysseusm's avatar

I find this has three distinct phases. The first is too brief, in my opinion. It is a lovely green and aromatic opening. Very quickly, I found the second phase, which is dominated by violet leaf (and perhaps a bit of the flower). The violet leaf absolute gives a really cool, metallic character – silvery and almost robotic or rubbery-industrial in mood. Nothing sweet so far. Finally I detect the third phase, which I find quirky. Some of the violet percolates to this level, where it combines with toasted-nut (celery seed) and woody (patchouli, vetiver) notes in a silver/brown system of opposites. The violet retreats and patchouli advances, in its usual tangy and slightly leathery-sweet way. So, I find this scent to be all over the map, even a bit confusing. Viridian is a term for a dark green-blue scent, and this is hardly green at all. Where are the artemesia, galbanum, and vetiver?

14th March, 2012