Reviews of Honour Man by Amouage

Find out more about Honour Man by Amouage in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

Black pepper would appear to be the note du jour. In the past, pepper would appear to great effect as an accent in woody oriental scents; consider Parfum Sacré, Pomegranate Noir, or Noir Epices. But lately it’s taken center stage in a series of (sadly undistinguished) masculine designer and niche fragrances. 10 Corso Como Uomo, Marc Jacobs’s Bang, and 7 de Loewe have each tried – and failed, in my book – to build something interesting around a core of black peppercorn. Now comes über-luxe brand Amouage with its attempt at “Peppercorn pour Homme.”

Amouage used a big pink peppercorn top note in Reflection Man a few years back, but Honour Man is all about black pepper. While the black pepper-centric scent I’ve enjoyed most in the past, Villoresi’s Piper Nigrum, uses its title ingredient as the basis for a sweet, complex amber oriental composition, Amouage opts for the dry, woody route that confounded the makers of Bang and 10 Corso Como Uomo. What Honour Man has in its favor are depth of composition and quality of ingredients, most notably the frankincense note that shares equal billing with the pepper. Indeed a stark, potent black pepper and frankincense accord leaps out the moment Honour Man exits the bottle and dominates the olfactory stage for quite some time.

The supporting players, which include cedar, nutmeg, and a clean musk, stay out of the limelight until well into the drydown. The drydown pleases me less than the earlier stages, as the musk and cedar smell comparatively crude and commonplace once left standing on their own. Ideally, a scent offered at Honour Man’s price point would make its exit on notes that smelled a little less like shampoo or dish washing detergent. Still, I have to rank Honour Man as one of the more successful recent stabs at the newly popular peppercorn genre, and if your more tolerant than I am of its comparatively slender cedar and white musk base notes, you may find much to enjoy here.

16 June, 2014

Wheatstraw2's avatar

It's been some time - thankfully - since I've come across an honest-to-goodness scrubber but this is, in my view, one of them. And, after having a couple of recent, blissful experiences with Amouage attars, I would also hasten to point out that this fragrance is probably best described as having a lot more in the way of French DNA than it does Middle Eastern ancestry. So to me it's disappointing in that sense too. While sadly acknowledging that this composition comes from the same nose as my beloved Cartier Must Pour Homme, I just can't wear it. If you like Geranium Pour Monsieur, this one could work for you because it's loaded with geranium. There's also pepper and something else that I can't really indentify that reminds me of Bulgari Man. So there you have the comparables and you may proceed as you wish. As for me, I have maybe another two wears in my humble little sample vial and I will try to endure those wears for about an hour each in the hope that I'm able to learn something. There certainly won't be anything pleasurable about it, so I have to try to tell myself that there might be some salvage value in this adventure in the form of expanding my knowledge base.

02 March, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is a nice fragrance.
    At the opening you can smell the signature of many Amouage fragrances Incense note, mixed with huge blast of pepper.
    The incense note smell herbal with powdery feeling.
    There is a fresh citrusy note at the opening as well.
    I know there is no citruses in the notes but I can feel some kind of tart and fresh citrusy scent. something like grapefruit that fades away after just a few minutes.
    There is a floral note from geranium and a little bit of sweetness, but they are mostly in the background.
    Very complex scent.
    There is no too much changes in the mid.
    In the mid, the pepper note settles down and you will get a little more sweetness and a little stronger geranium note.
    The incense note with powdery feeling still standing strong and you can easily feel it.
    In the base you will get a smooth, warm and sweet (not very sweet) ambery scent with some incense, pepper and geranium in the background.
    The scent has a light soapy feeling as well.
    It's not a very daring and different scent but something that I really like about this fragrance is the complexity of the scent.
    Projection is really good and longevity is around 8-10 hours.

23 December, 2013

0j76's avatar

England England

The best. The very best. Deep, large, solid, but transparent. House burning down, save the bottle of Honour Man! Forget the pepper, it doesn't matter what the smell is made of, it is buffered, wrapped up, or sitting on a cloud, and it is divine. In my top one! Makes many popular scents smell like a mistake.

16 November, 2013

reveillee's avatar

Pepper, woods, musk

Surprisingly this has great longevity and sillage.  Rich but in a different way than most Amouages.  In my opinion, this reminded me of a less dirty Terre d'Hermes.  Strong pepper and woods that is mostly linear to my nose.  Worthy of a decant but probably not bottle worthy at the price

Pros: longevity, projection
    Cons: price, not as unique as other Amouages

17 May, 2013

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Did you smell VIP for men by Carolina Herrera?

That's the same idea, peppery note holds the center of the stage, as if someone gives you pepper for lunch, i cant feel satisfaction in it!
    The only nice thing about it is some geranium, that makes it fresh and light but the dry down is all about peppers and you can get the very same with VIP! Disappointment

08 January, 2013

's avatar

Honour is a fantastic spicy/woody fragrance and very unique. Sillage, lasting power and projection are great. Thumbs up for the fragrance and thumbs down for the price.

01st December, 2012

Marathon Alchemist's avatar

At first I was not impressed. I thought, "Really? After Epic, Memoir, Ciel and even Dia?" I love Amouage and was not fond of Honour Man at first sniff. I was not convinced.

The day went on as I tested it and by the end of the day I knew it was something special. I wanted a strong, peppery scent that wouldn't fall short or overdo itself. The scent stood by me all day and lingered into the next. The stuff is strong.

The scent is a clean pepper provided by geranium. It is pepper sculpted by incense. It is a pepper fragrance with wearability and personality. An enhancing quality to one's own characteristics that blends with and becomes a part of you.

I thought Memoir or Epic was going to be my first Amouage but after spending the day/night/morning/evening with Honour, it was clear that this would be my entry into the wonderful world of Amouage.

07 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2013)

Francolino's avatar

nothing particualry enthralling but nice in the Amouage tradition

18 October, 2012

Kaern's avatar

Heavy, intoxicating mix of peppers, musks and a very prominent tonka note. This is all topped off by Amouage's terrific frankincense note, which I am a real sucker for. Very lush and lasts for ever on me. Best in show since Jubilation XXV imo. I feel an Interlude coming.

20th September, 2012

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

The main lesson of Honour Man is that there’s pepper and there’s pepper. There’s the stuff that gets up your nose and makes you sneeze and then there’s this which makes the nostrils flare with bliss, a complex dancing thing that introduces a lovely, light and pretty classy geranium and vetiver accord. A sharp frankincense-cedar accord keeps the wearer on their toes. I’ll agree with those who complain that perfumes like Honour Man represent the mainstreaming of a line known for OTT riches; this does not proclaim difference, but then it doesn’t need to. This is mainstream in the most suave and distinguished way, a perfume of restraint and elegance. The whole experience of wearing it is clean, cool like a fresh shirt and pretty enticing. I felt I could happily wear it day after day, until I did just that and found my interest flagging. The drydown is curiously fougere-like with a wisp of laundry musks trailing around it. My main grouch is that it wears pretty close to the skin and has a half-day life; can’t justify the expense for that.

20th August, 2012

nonsisa's avatar

Germany Germany

Typical Amouage scent for people who like it harsh.

If you know Epic Man, Honour makes kind of the impression to be the basic for the former.

The strongest notes to my nose are Cedar and Frankincense.

Very powerful and excellent longevity tough might not be for everybody.

12 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2012)

alfarom's avatar

A spicy-woody geranium. We could talk for hours about Honour Man but, to me, this is just a decent spicy woody geranium.

It opens with a well orchestrated blend of pepper (pink and black) that results quite interesting expecially if compared to other more popular deliveries in the same vein. It speaks clealry and says: "this is how we do it". Nutmeg makes it appearance right away providing even more complexity to the countless nouances of the opening. So far, so good...

Suddendly, a bold geranium note joined by a massive woody vetiver base break in and, together with the usual smoky cedarwood-frankincense signature, lead the fragrance towards a more conventional territory. In this phase (which is the main part of the fragrance), Honour Man is still incredibly pleasant but it fails in originality and overall quality. Think about Kenzoair (pepper-vetiver), Encre Noir (Iso E Super and vetiver), CDG2Man (smoky and fresh incense), Sel De Vetiver (vetiver and geranium) and Sycomore (incense and vetiver) and you'll get an idea.

Downline: Honour Man smells pretty darn good but for the same price of 50ml you can get 200ml of Sycomore. How it sounds?

Recent reformulations and some of the newest releases made me think they're trying to "standardize" their fragrances at Amouage.

22 April, 2012

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Every Amouage I've smelled has managed to have that damn frankincense note shoehorned into it. It's become detrimental to brand. At this point I can't even blame the perfumer because it's obvious that there is a corporate mandate to use the stuff. This is generic, fresh peppery nonsense PLUS FRANKINCENSE.

When I smell this I have no desire to continue smelling it.

04 April, 2012

surge's avatar

I don't get this one..it just smells like nothing I've ever smelled before, but not in a good way. It's very heavy (notewise) and you think it would project and stand out, but it doesn't.

It just feels like there's something missing...like a note that stands out above all else I guess and brings this fragrance to life. I just don't get a "finished" scent with this.

Luckyscent lists the note breakdown as:

Pink pepper, black pepper, geranium, elemi, nutmeg, patchouli, frankincense, cedarwood, vetiver, tonka bean, musk

I get pepper and nutmeg, and very little incense, and extremely light musk in the base. No cedar, tonka bean, or anything even close to patchouli.

No thumbs down because it's easy to wear, however no thumbs up because it's expensive as heck and I really don't enjoy it all that much.

24 March, 2012

autumngleeman's avatar

A lot of pink and black pepper, incense, musk, nutmeg and cedar. That's about all I can smell, but the result is something that smells unique to me. Everything is soft and smooth. It feels as if a very subtle hand crafted it. The incense especially; it's unlike most of the darker and harsher incense of other niche houses, it has a very smooth and light texture. In a strange way, sometimes Honour man vaguely smells like skin after getting out of a pool with chlorine. But it smells good anyway, like a lighter, peppery, smoky version of that, if you can believe it. I like the drydown too: I like how Honour manages to stay soft and subtle yet pervasive with what I can only describe as a glowing and luminous sillage/projection, like moonlight, dim but then again more than sufficient to light up everything for vision. Anyway, I just bought a bottle. It occurred to me that this would be a terrific October-November fragrance yet at the same time also eminently wearable for wet spring and summer days (smelling this with the smell of rain on warm pavement? Win!). Honour Man is another Amouage success if you ask me.

14 March, 2012